Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
God dammit FW, stop pushing back 30K Thousand Sons. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Finally had a good read of the new Dark Eldar codex.

Getting straight to the point, there is a lot more meat to this codex than is obvious, it certainly is not another Tyranids codex.

Some of the things that are a definitive improvements are:

Cool detatchments and formations which I will be trying out, the court of the Archon now is useful. The ability to take 6 flyers in a battle forged army, small units of scourge sappers with big guns, lance spam being possible again.

Yes Wyches suck now, their is a lack of Ap2 melee and we lost some of the special characters, but who cares? The assualt phase sucks in general as is, why do you need ap2 close combat weapons when you can just use a blaster or lance to do the same job and we all know the GW will just release data slate formations for the missing characters anyway.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 7, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JerryLee posted:

God dammit FW, stop pushing back 30K Thousand Sons. :negative:

According to what FW has said, the 30k Thousand Sons have been very difficult to balance because in the Horus Heresy books they simply don't fight like any other legion and FW wants to be true to that portrayal.

quote:

Or both, since some banded together etc, probably something representing an ad-hoc legion force.

This sounds about right. The Heresy books set after the Massacre often include broken remnants of those three legions banding together in the absence of any higher authority, sometimes being folded into an intact legion.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BULBASAUR posted:

Hi I'm BULABASAUR and I'm gay for 30 gay. Here's why you should be to:

30k Conquest Rumors

Hahahahaha "buy another legion while you wait for the one you want"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That campaign toolbox looks really boss and a nice addition to the game. Looking forward to that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

Whoa I didn't know this was possible, pretty cool.

Means I could stick a Vigilator in with some Thallax and infiltrate then scout into tank busting range. Noice!

Thallax can already deep strike though, and are jetback bros, so they work best alone. In 6th the comedy option would be putting him in a blob of castellax, but now you can't put an IC into a blob of MCs so we must find another gimmic :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Infiltrating units with Infiltrator ICs is pretty much a West Coast US phenomenon. If you're on Team Biggie Smalls you're not going to see it. It has the name "infilcheating" over here.

The thing buried beneath Istvaan might be Ancient Rylanor? I think he's the only 'living' thing left there.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Isn't the thing left alive on Istvaan Garviel Loken?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

panascope posted:

Isn't the thing left alive on Istvaan Garviel Loken?

Nope, he's out and kicking in the books.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I confess, if you play me I'm extremely helpful about letting you know about rules you're unaware of, ("hey man, you can actually do this, check this out") but I take ages to make turns because I'm neurotic about considering every possible turn. That's why I play mono-Nurgle or Grey Knights to cut down the number of moves available.

Warhams Rulebook posted:

Models with more than two weapons gain no additional benefit; you only get one extra Attack, even if you have four arms and a sword in each!

I get it, the Codex makes an exception but this is exactly what Sslyths get.

Hey, people with the Dark Eldar Codex or leaks, are Court Of The Archon units still poo poo? It doesn't matter to me because I've got models converted to represent them (thanks, Goon whose name I forget who sent me a pile of Warhammer Chaos Ogres) but I'm curious.

(not mine, whatev:)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

I get it, the Codex makes an exception but this is exactly what Sslyths get.

Hey, people with the Dark Eldar Codex or leaks, are Court Of The Archon units still poo poo? It doesn't matter to me because I've got models converted to represent them (thanks, Goon whose name I forget who sent me a pile of Warhammer Chaos Ogres) but I'm curious.
/

Sslyths get CCW, pistol, and carbine... so only two close combat weapons for +1 attack.
Court ain't bad for the medusa flamers and majority T5 with Sslyths. You also don't need to take the other characters... mix and match them how you want.

Dark Eldar should really be codex Take Portals. Being able to drop squads full of melta-equivalent + medusa is pretty powerful. It's a decent amount of points to pull it off, but can be very much worth it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cythereal posted:

Nope, he's out and kicking in the books.

Also he was on Isstvan III, not V.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

"infilcheating"

lol that's pretty sad

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cythereal posted:

According to what FW has said, the 30k Thousand Sons have been very difficult to balance because in the Horus Heresy books they simply don't fight like any other legion and FW wants to be true to that portrayal.

Not so sure this is the case, but I can probably find out.

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

LordAba posted:

Sslyths get CCW, pistol, and carbine... so only two close combat weapons for +1 attack.
Court ain't bad for the medusa flamers and majority T5 with Sslyths. You also don't need to take the other characters... mix and match them how you want.

Dark Eldar should really be codex Take Portals. Being able to drop squads full of melta-equivalent + medusa is pretty powerful. It's a decent amount of points to pull it off, but can be very much worth it.

Well have to try it sometime.

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 13, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Looking through the DE codex and yeah it's pretty tasty...got a tester game this week so I'm hoping to get all my Raiders painted up, this is the perfect excuse.

6 Raider deep strike with no scatter? Holy poo poo.

I have most of the models I 'need' so all I need to look at getting are the Court of the Archon (or suitable proxies) to have a go with them, and then update my Kabalite Warriors. They're actually pretty cheap new, as well (£1.30 plus shipping from Dark Sphere) so that's a bonus.

e: BTW, what are some good proxy models for the Court models? Just having a look around

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 7, 2014

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

words

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 13, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah right, so just 1 out of 6 DS Raiders has no scatter. Still. Now I can out-Belial Belial.

And yeah, literally shitloads of shots on entry. Amazing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Does anyone have a nice and fairly simple colour scheme for Krieg?

I remembered that I have suddenly access to a whole bunch of GW paints, almost the entire normal paint line in this case except a lot of the newer technical paints, which makes me want to try something extra for once instead of sticking to the few paints I usually have.

So I kinda want to paint up my Krieg Command HQ Squad that I've had lying around for a couple of years now and do them a bit better or more impressive than my average Guardsmen.

Speaking of which, discovered that both my Castellan Green pots got ruined with no amount of shaking and water addition could save. :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Twisted posted:

Do you like Battle Reports? Do you like lots of pictures?!

I've made a small Tumblr of a narrative campaign me and a couple of friends are doing. We're a couple of games in, and play every couple of weeks. I just figured you 'hams might like to read our latest pair of Kill Team missions!

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ahnchronicles

The fluff is fairly tongue in cheek.

(E: Forging the gently caress out of the narrative ITT)

This is really cool, thanks for sharing! I've never really thought of tumblr as a means to present battle reports either.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have a nice and fairly simple colour scheme for Krieg?
Purple.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Has anyone fixed the taurox yet? I saw Victoria miniatures had released some pictures of a conversion kit to turn it into a halftrack vehicle, but that's not for sale yet. anyone else?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As much as Saints Korps of Krieg sounds amazing I don't think that's something I wanna go for.

Frobbe posted:

Has anyone fixed the taurox yet? I saw Victoria miniatures had released some pictures of a conversion kit to turn it into a halftrack vehicle, but that's not for sale yet. anyone else?

I think someone linked this conversion in an earlier thread:

Which used these wheels for it.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Cooked Auto posted:

I think someone linked this conversion in an earlier thread:

Which used these wheels for it.

That's pretty baller. Almost makes me want to buy some!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Sex Cannon posted:

That's pretty baller. Almost makes me want to buy some!

Yeah same here.
I was trying to get one on sprue via Swedish Ebay earlier this week for painting and conversion purposes but the price spiralled away as per usual so I didn't bother with it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think the Taurox as a half track or wheeled vehicle actually looks pretty cool. It's no less stubby than my old scout car conversion:

I had the idea to do a Trukk/Taurox kitbash a bunch for a mechanized tryhard Ork army, but money + time + enough projects is keeping that off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm thinking of picking up some Sslyth and Medusae when I'm at Warhammer World next week, can you swap out the Sslyth arms for normal Kabalite ones without it looking too weird? It seems like it would be a good way to add some variety to the unit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I think the Taurox as a half track or wheeled vehicle actually looks pretty cool. It's no less stubby than my old scout car conversion:

I had the idea to do a Trukk/Taurox kitbash a bunch for a mechanized tryhard Ork army, but money + time + enough projects is keeping that off.

That is kinda adorable. :3:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

That is kinda adorable. :3:

It has a frog face too:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FagtasticalMondays posted:

The Lhamaean lost the ability to give the Archon 2+ poisen attacks but this is mitigated by the fact she can now insta-gib things on to-wound-rolls of 6, great for tackling those monsterous creatures.

Her old bonus was pretty pointless anyway. It only affected the Archon's poison weapons, which basically amounted to buffing his splinter pistol if he kept it because the other two poison weapons he could take were already poison 2+.

That's really the theme of this new DE book: clean up all the neat but basically pointless options. So it looks thin because it's missing some neat special characters and a bunch of weird wargear, but what remains is all generally purposeful and effective. For example, we lost the Duke and retrofire jets, but it really doesn't matter because deep strike is now built into all boats. Some things that may seem like stumbles are actually pretty solid moves towards internal balance. No AP2 CCWs for Archons means Succubi have a niche as tough IC hunters, which makes them more viable and is pretty drat fluffy. But the best example of all of this is the WWP. What was once a neat but not particularly effective way to deploy reserves is now an almost must-take option for precision kicking your opponent in the junk.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

SRM posted:

It has a frog face too:

:frogbon: I like it.

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

words

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 13, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

From what I can gather, its players who focused on the Baron/beast packs to do damage are the ones who really suffered here.

I will miss the baron and the extra attack from hell glaives. I'll have to rethink how I run my hellions. No longer can I buff a swarm of them into a half-decent hammer unit. But to be honest, they haven't been that great in that role since the end of 5E, so it's something I should have done a while ago.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I absolutely love how the Court is now pretty much exactly what I was asking for a year or two ago. And the change to Shadowfield is subtle but really really big. You only lose it at the end of a phase in which the Archon took an unsaved wound, so in combat the worst case scenario is that he can still try to gently caress poo poo up. And if he pulls off his FNP save he keeps it anyway.

And cheaper Reavers is wonderful. A squad of nine with a power sword champion and three Caltrops is virtually the same price as a tooled up Kabalite squad now.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 7, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

But what about Wyches? Are they really just basically worse now?

They're my favorite part of the DE army, and I was holding off on this codex to see how they would be buffed. They sound awful now, pretty much strictly worse. It's really killing my will to buy the codex, and I was going to pre-order the deluxe edition.

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

words

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 13, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

But what about Wyches? Are they really just basically worse now?

They're my favorite part of the DE army, and I was holding off on this codex to see how they would be buffed. They sound awful now, pretty much strictly worse. It's really killing my will to buy the codex, and I was going to pre-order the deluxe edition.

They can't spam haywire and the wych weapons got nerfed and made simpler. On the other hand, wych weapons are cheaper and 3 instead of 2 per 10 models, and PfP will benefit them more.

I think it's basically a wash to be honest. They lost the gimmick role provided by haywire spam, but otherwise, they do the same basic stuff for the same basic cost.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

You could get annoyed, but the problem is that most codex's dedicated assualt units suffer, not just wyches.

That's more than fair when you put it like that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think it might be a case of them becoming if not great, then at least decent later in the game as Power from Pain ramps up. But yeah, they are my main disappointment in the book so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

Words

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread