Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
does C# not have a generic sqlite engine? you should use that unless you're making an mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

system.data.sqlite would also be an option yes

VS comes with SQL express but I have server 2014 anyway for other things

so my SQL server is on my host PC. I want to connect to it from my guest VM. I do this with Windows and password auth currently but is there a way to do it with only windows auth and not need a second password without a domain controller on my network? cause I'm not doing that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there is also sql embedded which is basically a db file w/ a library for reading it (no server). i guess that's more like SQLite.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MeruFM posted:

does C# not have a generic sqlite engine? you should use that unless you're making an mmo

Entity Framework is the .NET clone of Core Data, I'm pretty sure there's been some equivalent to the SQLite persistent store for standalone app use since the first version.

there's also an actual SQLite backend for it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

write procs in your db and call the procs from ur code. EF will let you use them as function imports which works ok but is not great.
just gonna say i followed this exact advice a few months ago and turns out shaggar was right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

Entity Framework is the .NET clone of Core Data

now we know why it's terrible

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

entity framework is fine for quick prototyping but lol if you think that prototype won't end up in production

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually I found that to be utterly untrue. I spent more time fighting EF than I would have spent just writing the db stuff myself

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there any kind of tool I can use to check validity and formatting of my django templates? Normal tools don't cut it as they want to add lots of random tags because of the django template code

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
OK finally got CTCI.

Are O'Reilly books good for a specific language or stack? I need to deshitbird myself.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Valeyard posted:

Is there any kind of tool I can use to check validity and formatting of my django templates? Normal tools don't cut it as they want to add lots of random tags because of the django template code

build a time machine and go to 2010 try asking there

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Depends on the book. I encountered some real disappointing ones, but I've never regretted my Safari subscription.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

more like dICK posted:

Depends on the book. I encountered some real disappointing ones, but I've never regretted my Safari subscription.

i had a safari subscription for a few years -- it's expensive, but worth it :thumbsup:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gently caress them posted:

OK finally got CTCI.

Are O'Reilly books good for a specific language or stack? I need to deshitbird myself.

poo poo i forgot to reply to you. i am a bad person.
probably not tonight but tomorrow.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

we did it yospos

i made money off the windows store

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

we did it yospos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gently caress them posted:

OK finally got CTCI.

oreilly is among the best tech publishers (along with pearson) but they still publish a ton of second-rate poo poo alongside instant classics. that's just how tech publishing works

the oreilly online offering has essentially oreilly and pearson's entire back catalogues so that's fun. if you run across a shitbird text you are out nothing more than the time spent figuring out it sucks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

is there a library that will let me read XML using dot notation through the dynamic type like the newtonsoft JSON library?

e: XML is stupid and this probably isn't possible but whatever

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 7, 2014

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
XML::Farse

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

boost

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Luigi Thirty posted:

is there a library that will let me read XML using dot notation through the dynamic type like the newtonsoft JSON library?

doesn't linq to xml let you do this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

~Coxy posted:

doesn't linq to xml let you do this?

it's kinda wacky but it'll do

also thankfully it turns out the thing i'm working with can actually output things other than xml so nevermind

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oreilly is among the best tech publishers (along with pearson) but they still publish a ton of second-rate poo poo alongside instant classics. that's just how tech publishing works

the oreilly online offering has essentially oreilly and pearson's entire back catalogues so that's fun. if you run across a shitbird text you are out nothing more than the time spent figuring out it sucks

Where does Learning Python by mark lutz fall on the suck spectrum? I'm currently 30% in and while I'm learning a lot (like in-space changes!) it's also very technical and a fair bit goes over my head. It's also spergily in-depth, particularly for a beginner programmer.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
It's a really good book that is too in depth to be useful for someone actually learning python for the first time.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Whats a good resource for learning functional stuff? I saw that objc.io just put out a functional book in swift(their blogs are always really good so I imagine it's p good) but the price is a lil steep.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

yo that's gross. xml is fine but either way just deserialize it into a real object instead of doing dynamic crap

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Papes posted:

Whats a good resource for learning functional stuff? I saw that objc.io just put out a functional book in swift(their blogs are always really good so I imagine it's p good) but the price is a lil steep.

http://learnyouahaskell.com/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The Eclipse developers should probably find their way to this thread, judging by the regression bugs I've been filing against Luna.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Papes posted:

llleeeaaarrrnnnn yooouuu aaa haaassskkeeelllll

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CPColin posted:

The Eclipse developers should probably find their way to this thread, judging by the regression bugs I've been filing against Luna.
go on

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
ok: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=445708

Nothing like adding a unit test for a bug fix, then having the next release regress the bug because the unit test disappeared?

Edit: Oh I guess Eclipse was looking at a different version of its annotations package. Because of course it ships with multiple versions.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 7, 2014

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

we did it yospos

that is cool, congratulations

you are inspiring me to maybe possibly work on a windows store app or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CPColin posted:

ok: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=445708

Nothing like adding a unit test for a bug fix, then having the next release regress the bug because the unit test disappeared?

Edit: Oh I guess Eclipse was looking at a different version of its annotations package. Because of course it ships with multiple versions.

are they ever gonna redo rcp in something newer than java 1.4?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Careful Drums posted:

that is cool, congratulations

you are inspiring me to maybe possibly work on a windows store app or something

it's a lot easier than I thought it would be once I figured out how to do everything and the certification turnaround time for my updates is about an hour unlike Crapple. problem is nobody uses the win8 store lol. like my brother has used windows 8 for a year and he didn't even know the store existed.

so my next question: if I want to do bar charts and pie charts in WPF or metro, what's a good library I can use? there's a bunch I found and they're all terrible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the reason the turnaround is so fast is no human looked at ur app lol.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the reason the turnaround is so fast is no human looked at ur app lol.

*raises paw containing playbook and z10 given for manually curated non-functional blackberry app*

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
code:
String dev = args == null || args.length == 0 || (args.length > 0 && args[0].length() == 0) ? null : args[0];

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
My experience doing (.NET) MVC was with knockout.js handling viewModels that I'd throw around myself, and using razor to sometimes generate static things - but mostly AJAX poo poo.

Needless to say, when I come to a "MVC job" and they asked me about tempdata/viewdata I went "I didn't use that, but I'm guessing it's storing the state of the controls on the page?" and I'm told "Yes, but one is view to view the other is controller to controller." I was then passed over.

What's a good primer for "proper MVC" - just get on MSDN and read? I'm down to get a book if someone has one in mind. Or a website. Anyone can just google "interview questions" - I did - but I'd like to really know what they expect. Doing some ko MVVM was some good fun and it just "clicked" to be sure, but not everyone does that. Meh.

Also I've almost talked myself into a relocation to a real market :woop: I might get to Raleigh before the leaves change.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

you should've told them only idiots use temp and view data because most websites that aren't poo poo are load balanced and shared state is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://education.github.com/pack/

This owns, they are giving away some cool stuff for being a student. Saves me the bother of trying to convince my university to sign up for the UE4 education stuff

• Locked thread