Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kater posted:

I thought the first season of Wixoss was decent too, it's nice to see more people like it.

Different Card Game Anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kater posted:

Was Cross Ange the show everyone was laughing at a whiles back for the 'pilot getting out of mecha and shooting alongside giant mecha'? Or was there something stupid as gently caress I managed to avoid in the interim and now this is just how things work?
Unfortunately anal rape is involved. I would most certainly avoid it if you value your soul.

I wonder what kind of route Grisaia will take...

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Speaking of foreshadowing (VN spoilers): Sachi never made those explosives, right? I don't remember her even touching explosives, let alone making them, and she certainly wasn't the one to use them.

Blhue posted:

She did use some explosives in her route, however my vague memories say she did it because of something that hasn't happened yet so unless they change around details, it was mostly just to foreshadow later events and show that she's messed up too. The Amane picking his door thing is weird too, since she definitely has access to a key to his room in the VN.

It's definitely an odd sort of thing for them to throw in. A good hook, but odd. VN: There are a couple of times she uses something similar-looking in the common route, and explosives (and her gas mask) show up in some of the sequels, but if they're throwing it in this early, maybe they're altering things more substantially to try and get all the routes in?

Grouchio posted:

I wonder what kind of route Grisaia will take...

It's hard to get the full picture without doing most of them, and I'll bet they're interested in doing the sequels if season 1 of the anime is enough of a hit. The sequels theoretically spin off from an unseen route where the plot points of all the major routes happen, but the status quo is preserved otherwise. The anime is probably going to be their chance to make that route.

EDIT: If nobody else has made one by the next time I get a chance, I'll sit down and try to put together a Grisaia thread.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For all the money they poured into that Bahamut whatever whatever show, it wasn't actually very good. I mean, yeah, the production values are way above what you would expect from a trading card anime but the main character was obnoxious, the setting doesn't seem very interesting, and I'm not too sure I liked the direction in the action scenes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Watched the first episode of Inou Battle. While it certainly has all the trappings of lovely light novel poo poo that can loving suck it, it's actually not that bad. The jokes are kinda funny and the animation is half decent. Not quite in the league of all the crackshot comedy anime from last season, but probably going to keep watching.

More importantly, it makes me feel relieved that Trigger didn't choose to adapt something terrible (or if they did, that they changed it enough that it turned out okay)

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

the faces feel like they're lacking expression somewhat

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
grats on your medal

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

grats on your medal

thanks, i got it for Excellence in Posting

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Amagi Brilliant Park Err...what in the hell? I have to admit I liked it a little better before the last minute twist and random walk in bathroom scene. Three episode test, out of curiosity more then anything else.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That Bahamut show isn't bad, it riffs off a different set of cliches from most other anime high-fantasy shows, and it benefits from it. When was the last time the MC rolled a ginger afro and started macking on older barladies? Writing wise, it has just the right amount of cleverness and edge and earnestness that I didn't end up rolling my eyes out of my sockets.

It would normally fill the Chaika-shaped hole left in my heart, but we're getting Chaika S2 anyway, so I'll end up comparing the two with one another.

Edit: Also, when the magic bracelet was responding to magic, I'm pretty sure they ripped the sound from Texhnolyze.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 7, 2014

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Denki-gai was pretty fun. Halfway through, puffyhat girl was pressing the keys on a cash register and out of reflex I started humming database :v:

Amagi Park OP scared the poo poo out of me though, blew my ears in with LOOK INTO SKY IS MAGICAL

ScottyWired fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Kokkuri-san episode one was pretty great. Kokkuri's VA is Daisuke Ono, too, so it's kind of like bizarro Barakamon?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That entire scene was brilliant. The number of times Michiru's expression changes throughout that entire conversation was fantastic. I think they've nailed it when it comes to facial expressions, that's for sure.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

amagi brilliant park is anime of the season

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dick I have to ask, did you come from FYAD to mock anime and then just became anime?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When you stare into the abyss.....

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Amagi skipped a good bit of manga content but I think also added some new. The lead feels like a dull Gary Stu in the anime and she feels like a psycho and why did that introductory scene happen. I know why because I read the manga. Better than average.

Ai Tenchi Muyou wasted four minutes of my life because I forgot that the first six OAV episodes were the only ones worth watching. Similar to how only one Matrix movie was made and BSG ended with the episode where they set foot on planet earth and found it was all ashes. Better that way.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Dick I have to ask, did you come from FYAD to mock anime and then just became anime?

i like animes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

If Valvrave and Guilty Crown could have gotten worse, it would have been this. This right here is your brilliant train wreck of the season, the best one I can remember.

So, what kind of show was Guilty Crown? Didn't notice it when it was airing, but have had 'My Dearest' stuck in my head lately so I'm wondering if the series is worth a watch. If it's comparable to S1 of Valvrave insanity, that sounds promising!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Amagi skipped a good bit of manga content but I think also added some new. The lead feels like a dull Gary Stu in the anime and she feels like a psycho and why did that introductory scene happen. I know why because I read the manga. Better than average.

kanye-sama isnt a gary stu? Establishing that a narcissist is full of himself doesn't make him a gary stu. Did you skip the part where he sucked poo poo at the shooting gallery or when his sister made fun of him for being terrible with women or when he got his rear end kicked by a guy in a bear suit? I do agree the female lead came off as too flat.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

AfroSquirrel posted:

So, what kind of show was Guilty Crown?

Scifi political thriller constructed in the most anime way possible, which resulted in it being not worth anyone's time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

kanye-sama isnt a gary stu? Establishing that a narcissist is full of himself doesn't make him a gary stu. Did you skip the part where he sucked poo poo at the shooting gallery or when his sister made fun of him for being terrible with women or when he got his rear end kicked by a guy in a bear suit? I do agree the female lead came off as too flat.

He's a former child actor narcissist that's been handed a magic power that mostly serves to reinforce how badly everyone else in the world sees him. He's pretty much the polar opposite of a Gary Stu.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My fave thing about this season so far is all the goons reading the goon reviews warning them away from cross ange and then (un)ironically watching it while popping (un)ironic boners.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Great Rumbler posted:

Scifi political thriller constructed in the most anime way possible, which resulted in it being not worth anyone's time.

Best described as "a lame attempt at literally copying Code Geass".

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

So, what kind of show was Guilty Crown? Didn't notice it when it was airing, but have had 'My Dearest' stuck in my head lately so I'm wondering if the series is worth a watch. If it's comparable to S1 of Valvrave insanity, that sounds promising!

It's just bland, sorry. It had some nice designs and a couple of it's side characters were slightly amusing to watch but overall it was the boring kind of nonsense. And I really liked Valvrave.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I only watched one episode of GC when it came out but I sort of wish I followed it so I could get in on all the fun of say, the MC attempting to create a fascist society.

Then I got into Valvrave, but only after the ridiculous first season was over, so I spent most of S2 being bored to poo poo.

bad luck with bad animes

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Blhue posted:

She did use some explosives in her route
When? I don't recall that. It was (VN spoilers) Yuuji's idea to use explosives, after all; not to mention that Sachi wanted to burn down the school, not to blow it up.

Blhue posted:

The Amane picking his door thing is weird too, since she definitely has access to a key to his room in the VN.
Yeah, that confused me too. But maybe she got the key only after that? Though that doesn't really make sense, all things considered.

Bakanogami posted:

VN: There are a couple of times she uses something similar-looking in the common route
Really? When? I don't remember even a single instance of her using something like that in the common route, let alone "a couple of times".

Bakanogami posted:

to try and get all the routes in?
That's what those last two minutes seem to imply.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 7, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eej posted:

Best described as "a lame attempt at literally copying Code Geass".

Don't forget the beginning of the second half, with a quarantined school becoming its own city state run by the main character, who literally kills the students with weak powers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

All I know about guilty crown was that the protagonist was Hitler Jesus. Thats all I need to know about it, dont want to watch it to spoil the image in my head.

Have not watched anything this season. Thats how little fucks I give about the shows till chaika, build fighter and parasyte come out. (Tomorrow is going to be great)

I'll marathon the first 3 episodes of Rec in G when they are out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The difference between Guilty Crown and Code Geass / Valvrave is that series composition on the latter two were completely overseen by Ichiro Okouchi, while he only assisted on Guilty Crown. There's a balance here that clearly only he can deliver.

By the way, I don't actually recommend Valvrave even though I have a lot of affection for it, it's a show that got close to something really cool but then hosed it up. Code Geass is the one that was actually successful despite a couple bizarre turns and worth watching.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 7, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rodyle posted:

Have you never been to fyad, it's anime as gently caress in there.

Namtab posted:

My fave thing about this season so far is all the goons reading the goon reviews warning them away from cross ange and then (un)ironically watching it while popping (un)ironic boners.

While simultaneously busting on trigger for daring to exist after making an anime with titties, even

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

kanye-sama isnt a gary stu?

He really isn't, he's just more of it than what the manga would have made him seem at this point and I had no better wording for that.

Refreshingly little GS is also in the MC of Trinity Seven, the style of the artist gets to me the way Seven Sins does, it's gonna get harem but at least it's tasteful and fun about it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Speaking of Trigger, that whole My Everyday Chuuni Power Battles LN thing was actually surprisingly solid.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Namtab posted:

Goons tend to hatewatch stuff more than they unironically watch stuff. It's not usually this way in ADTRW (I think Cross Ange is only an exception because it's uniquely awful and its awfulness doesn't require a huge time investment to witness) but in TVIV and CD one of the best ways to get people to watch something is to go on and on about how horrible it is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That certainly explains the Glee thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CR are streaming potential anime of the season Parasyte from tomorrow, very excite.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Eej posted:

That certainly explains the Glee thread.

actually peopled loved glee for a long time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They pretend to dislike it to seem cool and disaffected because that's an easier way to live than to try to come to terms with their bad taste.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's also bullshit since watching things "ironically" in cined is rightfully looked down on and saying you do it will get you made fun of. People watch poo poo like Miami Connection or Surviving Edged Weapons because it's legitimately entertaining from how batshit it is, not because they "want to see how bad it gets.". Cross Ange is by all accounts a boring slog with a lovingly animated rape scene so it's kind of obvious why people are actually watching it and feel such a need to defend themselves over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calling anything in that show lovingly animated is kind of a stretch tbh.

• Locked thread