Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
All I know is that in 5 and h2 any small correction and I've spun myself off the track using sim steering and the wheel, just like in fm4. Normal steering it's super easy to correct, but it feels much more realistic than small controlled corrections throwing me off the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Has it taken anyone else way too long to figure out how to do matte paint jobs? I'm almost embarrassed by how hard it was for me to figure out, and how mad I got when i thought you couldn't do them.

Here's a few of my favourite pictures so far.

Also bonus rice. Every Forza game i gotta rice out a civic hatchback.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'm going to go on the record and say that putting 600hp into a Willys Jeep on stock 1942 tires was not the best idea I've had.

EDIT: Nevermind this thing loving owns. I just annihilated everyone else in the A800 offroad thing and got a 100k point skill chain because this thing does nothing but spin it's tires from the end of one corner to the start of the next.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a Goon car club?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Agoat posted:

Is there a Goon car club?

Search for Goon Racing Club and friend either Gutbomb or one of his friends. One of his posts ITT has the info.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Fun game so far, just checking in so I can sticky the thread and read up. Anyone know of easy ways to get free cars? I'm not paying for that VIP or car pass, gently caress that.

If you just straight up want a free car, your best bet is unfortunately to hope that you win one in the Wheelspin after leveling up. Otherwise, turn off as many assists as you can and go racing. The AI is kinda weak, so try setting the AI difficulty to "Highly Skilled". Don't worry, they don't get any more highly skilled. Instead of beating the AI cars by ~5-7 seconds, now you'll only beat them by 1-2 seconds. But, the AI can still be beaten by doing things like hopping curbs in city races and going off road where you can to shortcut the route. AI cars don't usually take advantage of these options. They stick to the open road.

Regarding assists, the ones that net a big bonus for disabling them are the Rewinds and setting the brakes to ABS only.

Also, there's a companion app to the Forza games called "Forza Hub". When I loaded it up, the app gifted me 300,000 CR on the spot. It also gifts that money to your accounts in FM4 and FM5. As you advance up in the game, Forza Hub rewards you with more cash. LOTS of cash!

E: Oh, check the marketplace. I don't know if you'd be able to, but you might still be able to download some of the free car packs like the Day One pack.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I haven't had any problems buying cars. There's the free pack online though that comes with the Challenger (e: or maybe that was the Day One pack that came with my copy?).

I have like 700,000 cr because I'm only buying a car when I need to for the championship I'm running. It also helps that Forza Hub gifted me 300,000 cr today because of monthly rewards or some such.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm going to go on the record and say that putting 600hp into a Willys Jeep on stock 1942 tires was not the best idea I've had.

EDIT: Nevermind this thing loving owns. I just annihilated everyone else in the A800 offroad thing and got a 100k point skill chain because this thing does nothing but spin it's tires from the end of one corner to the start of the next.

Well, now I know what I need to do next time I'm on.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

A c E posted:

Well, now I know what I need to do next time I'm on.

Think of the steering wheel on it as being the rudder for an aircraft carrier and you will do fine.

I just got a 550k point skill chain driving this thing at the airport. :swoon:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Dolemite posted:

If you just straight up want a free car, your best bet is unfortunately to hope that you win one in the Wheelspin after leveling up. Otherwise, turn off as many assists as you can and go racing. The AI is kinda weak, so try setting the AI difficulty to "Highly Skilled". Don't worry, they don't get any more highly skilled. Instead of beating the AI cars by ~5-7 seconds, now you'll only beat them by 1-2 seconds. But, the AI can still be beaten by doing things like hopping curbs in city races and going off road where you can to shortcut the route. AI cars don't usually take advantage of these options. They stick to the open road.

Regarding assists, the ones that net a big bonus for disabling them are the Rewinds and setting the brakes to ABS only.

Also, there's a companion app to the Forza games called "Forza Hub". When I loaded it up, the app gifted me 300,000 CR on the spot. It also gifts that money to your accounts in FM4 and FM5. As you advance up in the game, Forza Hub rewards you with more cash. LOTS of cash!

E: Oh, check the marketplace. I don't know if you'd be able to, but you might still be able to download some of the free car packs like the Day One pack.

Yeah I have the Day One pack and stuff was just wondering if anyone else had a tip on some free cars that you wouldn't notice unless you did some searching.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
well, no rewards or DLC for the 360. Kiiinda disappointing.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Do you get any more "free" cars as the game goes on like the Ferrari CS or is that it besides the barn finds?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Do you get any more "free" cars as the game goes on like the Ferrari CS or is that it besides the barn finds?

Probably it, but if you have the car pass you'll get all of those cars for free when the packs are released.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

As far as I can tell it's just the barn finds and anything you get from your level up spins. You get plenty of credits to buy pretty much anything you want, but there is something nice about a free car.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

triple clutcher posted:

well, no rewards or DLC for the 360. Kiiinda disappointing.

Is there any other content missing? can you still tune and all that, as getting a xbone for this game is getting more and more temping by the day, but it'd be the only game i really want it for.

I know someone above kindly pointed out some of the missing features like drivitars are missing along with some races and stuff, but as long as the core is there I'm not too bothered.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

You can swap parts, but no actual tuning is available on the 360. If you've played FH1 - it the same system as was in that game (except you can't unlock completely free upgrades this time)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

tk posted:

As far as I can tell it's just the barn finds and anything you get from your level up spins. You get plenty of credits to buy pretty much anything you want, but there is something nice about a free car.

Yeah, I was just curious if I should splurge for the McLaren P1 but was curious if I got one later or something.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah, I was just curious if I should splurge for the McLaren P1 but was curious if I got one later or something.
Unless you get it from a lucky wheel spin, then no, you won't get that one for free. The only thing to keep in mind is that you might want to hold off if you plan on getting the 10% discount perk, but the ~100K you'll save isn't really much in the grand scheme of things. You may as well buy that car as soon as you have enough credits.

The only free cars you get are the one at the start of the game and the Ferrari from the 1st showcase challenge. And the barn cars.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GutBomb posted:

All I know is that in 5 and h2 any small correction and I've spun myself off the track using sim steering and the wheel, just like in fm4. Normal steering it's super easy to correct, but it feels much more realistic than small controlled corrections throwing me off the track.

You know much more about wheel on F5, I managed to break my toe about 3 weeks into ownership and had to take a break (HA GET IT?) from pedal use for a much longer while than I had anticipated. Kind of annoying then that Sim is for not-sim setups, but I always had great luck keeping the degrees linear in Sim mode in F4 doing that weird power-on sequence, occasionally I'd forget and power the 360 up with the wheel and then wonder why my steering felt so stupid.

I'm finally installing FH2!

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Keket posted:

Is there any other content missing? can you still tune and all that, as getting a xbone for this game is getting more and more temping by the day, but it'd be the only game i really want it for.

I know someone above kindly pointed out some of the missing features like drivitars are missing along with some races and stuff, but as long as the core is there I'm not too bothered.
the car list is slightly different ( not terrible ), there's only a flat 2500CR when you level up and not a wheelspin, and some of the upgrades are missing ( mostly engine / drivetrain swaps and a few of the wheels ) compared to H1.

The engine sounds border on inaudible and there's no real incentive to upgrade your car ( ie: the races adapt to your car's PI instead of being A/B/C/D/whatever-class ) as well, but I'm not sure if the X1 copy has those issues too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The xbone version matches your ai opponents PI to close to whatever thou bring to the race. I wouldn't call that an issue though, it's pretty cool.

Upgrades are for fun and for online.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
So what exactly do I need to accomplish before it will let me join the club?

I've finished the first 2 championships, done a handful of online racing and rivals, gotten to level 15 or so and the club option is still not selectable from the menu. Is there a location you need to visit to make it active?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

BCRock posted:

So what exactly do I need to accomplish before it will let me join the club?

I've finished the first 2 championships, done a handful of online racing and rivals, gotten to level 15 or so and the club option is still not selectable from the menu. Is there a location you need to visit to make it active?

Its a part of the main campaign. I think its after the 3rd or 4th championship, you do a race against a train. Once you finish that, it unlocks. I dont know why they hid it so deep in the campaign.

\/\/\/\/ yeah, the train race concludes the dubious 'tutorial' section of the game. Once you do that everything is open. Its dumb they stretched it out that far, but itll prompt you join a race crew when you finish it. Just search "GRC" and we will pop up. We are about 40 strong right now!

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 8, 2014

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Aha... thank you!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think I just found my favorite car.

I went crazy upgrading it and now its class "X" with 999 stats.

This game just went from amazing to Speed Racer simulator.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Dramicus posted:

I think I just found my favorite car.

I went crazy upgrading it and now its class "X" with 999 stats.

This game just went from amazing to Speed Racer simulator.

drat. You beat me to it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
He's not even wearing a loving helmet!!!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

He's not even wearing a loving helmet!!!

Well to be fair, you can just bury him in the car, maybe put a sheet over the top if you want a closed casket.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I would be loving amped to be buried in that car

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It pulls like 16gs in acceleration and has a top speed of over 400km/h. I think a helmet is the least of his worries.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Does anyone have any insight on tuning? I've been bumbling with tuning settings since like Gran Turismo 3 and still don't really feel like I know what the hell I'm doing.

F5 has those Tuned by Worm tunings that I think I recall reading T10 actually hired that guy in some capacity, but generally I feel like most people who play Forza are retarded bros and 13 year olds that just download the tuning with the biggest numbers without even being able to do a single clean lap, and that's what gets rated 5 stars.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Tuning can get really in depth. There is some general tuning you can do to make your normal car perform in a more sporty manner, but the real meat is tuning the car specifically for individual tracks. In general, forza does some basic tuning when you buy parts and most people wont really need to touch anything beyond that. Since Horizon is open world, you can't really tune for specific tracks, but you can set your car up for higher top speeds at the expense of cornering and vice versa. Though the game is pretty much set up so you can get through the whole thing without bothering at all.

Here is a general guide if you want to know what all the different settings do and what effect they have on your car.
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst221_Tuning-Guide.aspx

Edit: One thing the guide doesn't really mention is that, although a lower right height is usually good, you need to make sure the car doesn't bottom-out. So the lower you go, the stiffer your suspension needs to be in order to prevent this. Go too extreme with suspension stiffness and you start introducing a whole load of new problems.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 9, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Forzatune 5 for android and ios has given me some good starting points for tuning

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Keket posted:

There's a good comparison here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-forza-horizon-2-face-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk

quote:

Forza Horizon 2 represents something of a full-stop for the franchise on the Xbox 360. Sumo took on the excellent Playground/Turn 10 codebase but there's the feeling that it couldn't push the level of technical achievement further, resulting in a revised game design that made the most of the technologies and assets available, in the final analysis producing a very different game to the Xbox One showcase. It's a fine title worthy of the hardware it is running on and the pedigree of the studios involved - but it is perhaps more of a sideways step than a full-blown sequel. That game does exist, however - and it is spectacular - but it does remain exclusive to Xbox One.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.
Hey, I'm really loving this game and I'd like to find more people to race! Most online races are some stupid Any Class drag thing and I like racing D-S1 (muscle, rally, sports!). If anyone want to race in those classes hit me up I'm Annymouseymouse on XBONE

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Anny-Mouse posted:

Hey, I'm really loving this game and I'd like to find more people to race! Most online races are some stupid Any Class drag thing and I like racing D-S1 (muscle, rally, sports!). If anyone want to race in those classes hit me up I'm Annymouseymouse on XBONE

Did you join the GRC? You should if you didnt. I just added a bunch of people to my friends list from there to race with.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is Horizon 2 as WiggerBro'd-out as Horizon 1 was or did they calm that down a bit this time?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

GreatGreen posted:

Is Horizon 2 as WiggerBro'd-out as Horizon 1 was or did they calm that down a bit this time?

I didn't play 1, but 2 is more euro metrosexual'd out. I don't even think there are any rap stations, just a punch of EDM, electro pop, and indie rock.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

yeah, teenage eurotrash on MDMA was clearly the inspiration this time. I just listen to podcasts because games have terrible sound tracks and I dont need to hear that British butthole telling me what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I don't normally care about radio stations in Forza games, but it was weird having a bunch of real bands and songs in this, but not being able to recognize any of them. Horizon 1 spoiled me for that.

• Locked thread