Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Thank goodness for the Nokia Software Recovery Tool!

I borked my phone a couple of weeks ago by forgetting to unmount my original SD card before swapping in a bigger one. So I chose the reset option from the settings menu. It didn't quite go right (Call + SMS Filter wouldn't load, phone started making a notification sound when I unplugged it from the charger). So I downloaded the tool, restored it through there, and everything's working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love Waze, best nav app on Windows, but is there a way to stop navigating short of holding the back button and force closing the app?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

wormil posted:

I love Waze, best nav app on Windows, but is there a way to stop navigating short of holding the back button and force closing the app?

Tap in the middle of the bottom bar where it shows ETA and stuff. It'll slide up and you can hit the "Stop" button to stop navigating.

That's also where they hid the ability to select alternate routes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tivac posted:

Tap in the middle of the bottom bar where it shows ETA and stuff. It'll slide up and you can hit the "Stop" button to stop navigating.

That's also where they hid the ability to select alternate routes.

Awesome, guess I needed to play around with it when I'm not driving.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So..uh... Spotify for Windows Phone. I have Premium, but it appears there is NO WAY in the app to put it out of "shuffle" mode. So every album or playlist HAS to shuffle... what am I missing? Please god tell me I'm missing something.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mine does not shuffle, though I am not immediately sure where the setting is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

So..uh... Spotify for Windows Phone. I have Premium, but it appears there is NO WAY in the app to put it out of "shuffle" mode. So every album or playlist HAS to shuffle... what am I missing? Please god tell me I'm missing something.

Is the random icon highlighted? I think it can shuffle using that or the green Spotify shuffle button. I had noticed I was shuffling and checked and that was highlighted even though I never actually selected it.

The Windows app is really odd in that it takes way too many steps to get the play screen with all of the forward/back/play/pause buttons and album art. And even after I get there it likes to randomly go back to the playlists page when I try to advance the song, but not my playlists page - which I might enjoy. No, it's the theme playlists that other people created. Kind of weird since Spotify is the same in iOS and Android - but for WP they decided to make the interface wacky.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is the random icon highlighted? I think it can shuffle using that or the green Spotify shuffle button. I had noticed I was shuffling and checked and that was highlighted even though I never actually selected it.

The Windows app is really odd in that it takes way too many steps to get the play screen with all of the forward/back/play/pause buttons and album art. And even after I get there it likes to randomly go back to the playlists page when I try to advance the song, but not my playlists page - which I might enjoy. No, it's the theme playlists that other people created. Kind of weird since Spotify is the same in iOS and Android - but for WP they decided to make the interface wacky.

There is no random icon in my app at all. If I go to a playlist, I'm presented with a sort of collage screen at the top with a play button on it (that shuffles when played) and a green "shuffle" button underneath it as well. If there's a way to turn shuffle on and off I ain't seein' it. :9

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

loquacius posted:

My 920 has an issue where if I'm on the phone with another Windows Phone (my mom's 822 and my girlfriend's 1020 have this problem a lot) sometimes they stop being able to hear me unless I turn on speakerphone. I hate using speakerphone. The problem doesn't seem to come up when I'm talking to anyone who doesn't use a Windows Phone, but my mom and my girlfriend are probably the people I talk to the most often. Anyone heard of anything like this?

No idea really, but my FM radio cuts out randomly. I can be jogging along with my headphones on, listening to todays hit music when suddenly there just no sound for 5 or 6 seconds. Also, any audio has like a 10% chance of randomly outputting through headphone and speakerphone.

Do you talk to your mom and gf on the handset normally, or do you use headphones + mic?

Also, another thing to get off my chest regarding my factory refurb 635. I try browsing some websites and images fail mid-load. Like the top half will be a normal image and the bottom will be this weird static pattern. It looks kind of like 'failing gpu' visual artifacts to me. Also the phone gets noticeably warm when this happens. Switch out of IE for a bit and everythings fine when I try again.

I might try a hard reset, but I think that perhaps the problems could be stemming from the battery? It's the only functional piece of the phone that wasn't included in the warranty replacement that was mailed to me.

I think I'm finally getting to the point where I regret the purchase.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

There is no random icon in my app at all. If I go to a playlist, I'm presented with a sort of collage screen at the top with a play button on it (that shuffles when played) and a green "shuffle" button underneath it as well. If there's a way to turn shuffle on and off I ain't seein' it. :9

Figured it out. Go into a playlist or album, start playing a song, then click the "now playing" banner at the bottom of the screen then THAT has a random/no-random button. Stupidly buried.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - I think I'm finally getting to the point where I regret the purchase

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Do you talk to your mom and gf on the handset normally, or do you use headphones + mic?

The handset is where this problem comes up; headphones + mic works fine.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - I think I'm finally getting to the point where I regret the purchase

After 4 years I am almost to that point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm feeling disenchanted lately just because of the radio silence on new flagship-level devices. My contract is running out on my 920 and I'd love to get a better device but on AT&T I think my options are the 1020 and 1520 and neither of them are particularly new.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, the cancelled hoverhand flagship is messing things up pretty bad at the moment. Still rather want to replace my 920, but there is clearly nothing really worth it out at the moment. I am actually waiting for 830 reviews, since if they manage a monstrous battery life (which could be with that screen and SoC) that might be enough to push me over the edge. Ideally I'd wait for a flagship launch though (well, or switch to another platform, but I am not that tempted by anything at the moment).

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You could have the 8XT where the Wi-Fi is hosed up and it crashes all day. You could have that. I pray for Nokia.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

loquacius posted:

I'm feeling disenchanted lately just because of the radio silence on new flagship-level devices. My contract is running out on my 920 and I'd love to get a better device but on AT&T I think my options are the 1020 and 1520 and neither of them are particularly new.

Very similar situation over here. Since I upgraded to 8.1DP no one has been able to hear me on the phone, unless I'm using headphones. This seems to be true whether or not the person on the other end is using a windows phone. It's incredibly frustrating. I'm on a 920 with AT&T and am also hoping for some flagship announcement for Christmas.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Could it be that MS Mobile is holding off on a new flagship because W(P) 910 is going to be another 'reboot' of the OS, with no upgrade path for handsets running 8.x?

(this lame strikethrough joke brought to you by Awful for WP and its handy bbcode insertion tool. The only app on my POS phone that works as expected.)

Even so, the 1080 going for ~$300 now would be something I might consider, if only the app outlook was better. I place the camera high on my smartphone priority list, but I need better apps than what's currently out there to make it worthwhile. The Instagram app, for instance; it can't even do a simple 2-image collage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could it be that MS Mobile is holding off on a new flagship because W(P) 910 is going to be another 'reboot' of the OS, with no upgrade path for handsets running 8.x?

(this lame strikethrough joke brought to you by Awful for WP and its handy bbcode insertion tool. The only app on my POS phone that works as expected.)

Even so, the 1080 going for ~$300 now would be something I might consider, if only the app outlook was better. I place the camera high on my smartphone priority list, but I need better apps than what's currently out there to make it worthwhile. The Instagram app, for instance; it can't even do a simple 2-image collage.

If they did yet another "no upgrade path" OS reboot, I'll drop Windows Phone. They did it once and I give them the benefit of the doubt, but doing it again would just be the deathblow.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
They're not doing that.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

If they did yet another "no upgrade path" OS reboot, I'll drop Windows Phone. They did it once and I give them the benefit of the doubt, but doing it again would just be the deathblow.

Also they have already done it twice. WinCE 6.5 was a no upgrade reboot to 7, then a no upgrade 7->8. I believe each of those times they had a larger market share then they do now. WinCE needed to go but there was no particular reason that hardware couldn't support 7, same with the 7 phones they could have supported 8. MS is committed to having good developer and user experience which means ditching low spec devices. The launch 8 devices are really long in the tooth and incredibly low spec compared to current iOS or Android devices.

I don't know why a no upgrade reboot would be surprising. They said they would support phones for 18 months right? Most every single phone nearly 1 years old already the only phone really recent is the HTC phone that's based on an android nearly a year old, by the time 10 would be ready everything current and announced would be over 18 months old.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 9, 2014

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not smart enough to know if this article is off the mark, but it seems like a fairly straightforward and believable explanation to me: http://www.wpcentral.com/why-microsoft-keeps-starting-over-windows-phone

If I'm wrong, feel free to school me.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not smart enough to know if this article is off the mark, but it seems like a fairly straightforward and believable explanation to me: http://www.wpcentral.com/why-microsoft-keeps-starting-over-windows-phone

If I'm wrong, feel free to school me.

The other big problem with constantly restarting from scratch is the lack of polish we saw in Windows phone 8 and 8.1. WP7 was a limited OS but incredibly polished. The music experience for example was sublime. With so much developer time spent on redoing the kernel and basic OS, more rough edges have popped up although the OS is now more capable. iOS and Android have had much more time dedicated to polish and its really starting to show.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As a android user since mid 2010, I enjoy using WP but my biggest complain is the lack of good apps, and, when I use one that exists on android the wp version is half-assed. I don't mind paying for an app that I'm gonna use a lot but I have a hard time finding good ones for my 925.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Nah, we know pretty much for certain that the flagship that was supposed to launch with the 830/730 launch was cancelled due to the hovering touch thing for one reason or another not panning out. Most likely they'll hurry one out in the next 6 months, but it probably wont be as impressive as it should (though hopefully cheaper to compensate).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It could, possibly, but there's really no reason to think that aside from it being a thing that happened before. It could also be that they're holding off on a new flagship because they're changing CEOs again, or because they're busy dealing with anti-monopoly laws in Europe, or because they don't want to distract from the upcoming launch of Windows XP. Those are all things that have happened before too.

As people have discussed, there were good reasons for the previous reboots (there's no way any device built for WM6.5 would be a good experience on WP7 or vice versa, and they probably should have jumped straight to the NT kernel from there so the second reboot wouldn't have been necessary, but they didn't, so they had to do it later) but they no longer apply and there is not presently a reason to think another one is coming.

The hover-hand tech not being ready sounds likely to me (reminds me of the whole Surface Mini thing), and is disappointing, but launching a new flagship phone based around cool-sounding future tech that isn't actually functional is more of a Samsung thing really :shrug:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Nah, we know pretty much for certain that the flagship that was supposed to launch with the 830/730 launch was cancelled due to the hovering touch thing for one reason or another not panning out. Most likely they'll hurry one out in the next 6 months, but it probably wont be as impressive as it should (though hopefully cheaper to compensate).

My 920 is having issues nonstop and I don't have the extra money laying around to just buy a burner phone then buy a new one in 6 months. Continually promising the next great thing is just around the bend is a big gently caress you to your user base.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Well, iPhones and the good Android phones are good too, don't make yourself bitter over platform choices. You can always come back in a few years if you feel like it. Also, you can't really be all that locked into WPs limited ecosystem anyway ;)

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Doomsday Jesus posted:

My 920 is having issues nonstop and I don't have the extra money laying around to just buy a burner phone then buy a new one in 6 months. Continually promising the next great thing is just around the bend is a big gently caress you to your user base.

I was in the same spot with my 920 and the whole "xbox music is a flaming pile of poo poo" when 8.1 hit was enough to say that I was done with Windows Phone. After 4+ years starting with a Samsung Focus (great phone) and hearing constant promises from Microsoft that things would just get better in the next version but never did, I gave up.

Microsoft makes better apps on Android and iOS than they do on their own platform. This is true in the case of Skype, other office related apps, and even xbox music. As a windows phone consumer, how else can you interpret this other than a slap in the face? If you jump ship from the platform you will actually get a BETTER experience when using Microsoft services. For everyone who got a 920 back in November of 2012, there's no NEW phone that you can get (especially on AT&T) that isn't at least 6 months to a year old in terms of hardware and there's no product roadmap published yet showing any new flagship phones for you to upgrade to.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Not denying that carrier availability isn't a problem, but yall need to get off of carrier contracts. Took me a minute to figure out why the Icon/930 wouldn't work for you.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

G-III posted:

I was in the same spot with my 920 and the whole "xbox music is a flaming pile of poo poo" when 8.1 hit was enough to say that I was done with Windows Phone. After 4+ years starting with a Samsung Focus (great phone) and hearing constant promises from Microsoft that things would just get better in the next version but never did, I gave up.

Microsoft makes better apps on Android and iOS than they do on their own platform. This is true in the case of Skype, other office related apps, and even xbox music. As a windows phone consumer, how else can you interpret this other than a slap in the face? If you jump ship from the platform you will actually get a BETTER experience when using Microsoft services. For everyone who got a 920 back in November of 2012, there's no NEW phone that you can get (especially on AT&T) that isn't at least 6 months to a year old in terms of hardware and there's no product roadmap published yet showing any new flagship phones for you to upgrade to.

I would love for some tech journalist to get intimate access with Satya and be allowed to ask, "Okay, seriously, what the HELL is wrong with you people and your stupid decisions? :psyduck:" It seems like everyone outside of Redmond sees things with a bewildered sense of clarity while MS just perpetually bumbles and disappoints.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Not denying that carrier availability isn't a problem, but yall need to get off of carrier contracts. Took me a minute to figure out why the Icon/930 wouldn't work for you.

It costs $300 unlocked? :geno:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

I would love for some tech journalist to get intimate access with Satya and be allowed to ask, "Okay, seriously, what the HELL is wrong with you people and your stupid decisions? :psyduck:" It seems like everyone outside of Redmond sees things with a bewildered sense of clarity while MS just perpetually bumbles and disappoints.

I've heard this called the Redmond Reality Distortion Field.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

It could, possibly, but there's really no reason to think that aside from it being a thing that happened before. It could also be that they're holding off on a new flagship because they're changing CEOs again, or because they're busy dealing with anti-monopoly laws in Europe, or because they don't want to distract from the upcoming launch of Windows XP. Those are all things that have happened before too.

As people have discussed, there were good reasons for the previous reboots (there's no way any device built for WM6.5 would be a good experience on WP7 or vice versa, and they probably should have jumped straight to the NT kernel from there so the second reboot wouldn't have been necessary, but they didn't, so they had to do it later) but they no longer apply and there is not presently a reason to think another one is coming.

The hover-hand tech not being ready sounds likely to me (reminds me of the whole Surface Mini thing), and is disappointing, but launching a new flagship phone based around cool-sounding future tech that isn't actually functional is more of a Samsung thing really :shrug:

Though I didn't experience them first hand, looking back at Windows Mobile, it looks like many phones were not upgraded from one version to the next then, either (or am I wrong about this?). Expectations may have been different then, of course, but it looks like Microsoft has a pretty established track record of not being good about updates.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

Hey, the guy had only been CEO for less than a year and he's still in the midst of cleaning house. Besides, Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day.

As it is, though, I'm thinking of getting a Sony Z3, Nexus 6, or Moto X in the interim until Microsoft's new flagship phone. My 920 had gotten less stable and shorter battery life with these new firmwares and updates. It can barely last half a day with usage that used to last a full day when I first got it. Meanwhile, my apps will sometimes just crash without warning and with no explanation. Granted it's almost two years old so an upgrade is probably in order but I don't think I can wait until spring at the earliest.

Although I could get an 830 instead, I've been meaning to get an Android device since I barely touch my Nexus 7 anymore. Plus, they're is a remote control app for my DSLR that it's probably never going to come to Windows Phone and doesn't work that great on the Nexus 7 owing to its size.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

It costs $300 unlocked? :geno:

I feel like you think that's a lot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

I feel like you think that's a lot

It's three times the on-contract price and I'm viewing this through the eyes of someone who spends too goddamn much on gadgets already :colbert:

(that said, though, I reread your original post and I thought you were saying "take a minute to figure out" rather than "took me a minute" which is much less condescending than my reading so apologies sir :tipshat:)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Where can you get an Icon for $300 unlocked??

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Where can you get an Icon for $300 unlocked??

I checked again and it looks like that search result was actually for a 920 and I just can't read. Whoops. Revise my previous post to "it costs $465 unlocked :geno:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

loquacius posted:

I checked again and it looks like that search result was actually for a 920 and I just can't read. Whoops. Revise my previous post to "it costs $465 unlocked :geno:"

Ha yeah I was about to jump right on an Icon for $300 unlocked.