Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have a confession to make: I almost never read Current Releases anymore.

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My condolences to anyone Black Bones is trying to defend.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As a CineD poster I want to say I've never seen this Black Bones person in my life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Roger Ebert is a man held in high esteem by movie reviewers- including yourselves. The difference is that Ebert reviewed the movie, first and foremost, as a movie. A lot of CR reviews lately have been a review about what social issue's gotten under your skin that week.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have a confession to make: I almost never read Current Releases anymore.
Good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Y-Hat posted:

Roger Ebert is a man held in high esteem by movie reviewers- including yourselves. The difference is that Ebert reviewed the movie, first and foremost, as a movie. A lot of CR reviews lately have been a review about what social issue's gotten under your skin that week.
That's because Ebert had a beautiful black wife with a big pair of tits.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

The key to writing a good review is to be a race traitor.

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
The problem is that internet feminists/gender-benders/marxists/jingoists/lacanists/desconstructionists think they have the monopoly of the truth (the moral being relativized as social constructs) that they have found a way to eternal paradise and end of social conflicts. If you don't think like us, you are a republican/conservative/alienated/privileged white male.

filthy ditch
Jul 22, 2014

PaulMorel posted:

The problem is that internet feminists/gender-benders/marxists/jingoists/lacanists/desconstructionists think they have the monopoly of the truth (the moral being relativized as social constructs) that they have found a way to eternal paradise and end of social conflicts. If you don't think like us, you are a republican/conservative/alienated/privileged white male.

im not sure why you're lumping jingoists in with lacanists and marxists but i assume its becuase you dont know what jingoism maens and are dumb

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
I don't know what lacanism is de facto, but jingoism is common enough.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
I'm a lycanthrope aroooo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ruddha posted:

I'm a lycanthrope aroooo

What does this say about the patriarchy?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PaulMorel posted:

That's not a problem unless you're willing to go out on a limb and say that it's impossible to be funny or communicate clearly if you're any of those things.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Ruddha posted:

I'm a lycanthrope aroooo

the oppisite reading is t...aroooo

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 7, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

What does this say about the patriarchy?

Don't get me started about the explicit racism in Teen Wolf.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008

Effectronica posted:

That's not a problem unless you're willing to go out on a limb and say that it's impossible to be funny or communicate clearly if you're any of those things.

I don't think that's possible. I never saw anything funny coming from radicals and fundamentalists.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Is it fascism yet posted:

That was a goddamn quote, i even sourced it. franco you owe me :10bux: for not having read Marx's letters.

you didn't close the quote. it was only half a quote. you lost.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PaulMorel posted:

I don't think that's possible. I never saw anything funny coming from radicals and fundamentalists.

Ever read Marx's personal writings? Pretty loving hilarious.

Oh, poo poo, are we talking INTENTIONALLY funny?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PaulMorel posted:

have you ever seen slavoj zizek talk?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

pls don't anime spam itt

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

PaulMorel posted:

Hmm, uhh, ah. Hm.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
theres nothing radical about the front page movie reviews

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

PaulMorel posted:

Lol.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Reminder that this was a joke frontpage once upon a time, and now the Current Releases reviews on the actual frontpage are somehow more Pitchfork.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Pseudo-feminist gender role focused critique is extremely hot poo poo on the 'net atm and we gotta drive pageviews somehow

It's either that or You Won't Believe This List Of 7 Things They Won't Tell You About Movie

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

th1nk posted:

I vaguely recall Black Bones mentioning that he isn't a front page writer, but there's no way I'm going back over his posts to check. Hopefully he will clarify this for us.

I am obviously not a good enough writer for the front page, nor do I even want to be. I will strive to post better here on the forums though.

I was defending the front page because I enjoy it a lot for the most part, and I think that most of the criticisms being offered in this thread are weak. This does not mean that the front page writers shouldn't be criticized, anymore than those criticisms cannot be criticized.

Most of the complaints are saying that CR is mostly bad, but it's actually mostly good.

And that's honestly how I truly feel, just like I'm 99.9% sure that when the writers say something, it is their actual opinion being expressed. To assume that they don't really mean it, but are just pandering for "upvotes" or "pre-approved applause", well, that seems weird and paranoid. Even if it's true, it's pretty irrelevant as a criticism. Just deal with the opinion, it shouldn't be very hard, especially if it's a bad one.

Beeswax posted:

And while it's funny that you respond by implying that there is some paranoid conspiracy at work, where people who complain about CR's inane analyses only do so because they disagree with the politics behind it, I'm pretty sure the people in here are pretty uniformly left-wing. It's not that people dislike leftist analysis (although they could be forgiven for being fed up with it at this point). It's that they dislike incredibly poorly conducted analysis, slathered on top of what is ostensibly a movie review. While you clearly try really hard to make your replies come off as playful and non-confrontational, it only makes you seem self-satisfied and unable to take in people's actual points.

I am implying that some of the criticisms have been paranoid, not that there is an organized subterfuge going on behind them. The "they can't really mean it" nonsense. Meant seriously or in jest, that's weak. As are variations if "it's dumb your dumb" etc.

Yeah, the Gone Girl review was poor analysis, but I think CR is generally better. Maybe the in-character format played a part too. A good criticism of that specific review would be to post something like that Time review as comparison - that was really good! The CR one really wasn't hard to figure out though, and I really don't understand the anger it caused.

I do aim for playful, since this is the internet, but I am definitely trying to confront what I think are bad posts. Sorry if that comes across as smug, I'm working on it.

edit:
Here's the Time review, in case anyone missed it

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 8, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Black Bones posted:

I am definitely trying to confront what I think are bad posts.

What do you think a good post looks like?

Black Bones posted:

Fair enough, I won't break up individual posts anymore, although I do worry about some of y'alls ability to figure out what I am responding to, since a common complaint seems to be that CR is allegedly unclear or duplicitous (while simultaneously being too dumb or basic, even to the point of being childlike).

Meh, it was a quick idea off the top of my head meant to serve as an example. It's certainly not a strong one.

The target audience is anyone who interested in what movies are coming out and what some goons thought about them. It is the same audience that reads other front page material, the same that reads the forums. You and me and any other terrible nerd.

I have not noticed a “marked” difference between CR and other features. The reviews are usually straight, with the occasional experiment (like the Gone Girl one) and some that outright mock the film without any attempt at review. But even the serious ones still fall within the general dorky point-of-view that is Something Awful. Sometimes they are good and I agree, other times they are good yet I disagree, and yes sometimes they are bad (like the Gone Girl one), but those aren't often enough to elicit much emotion from me. WTF D&D is pretty consistently creative and funny imo, but some of them are boring too. It happens.

Don't forget, if you don't like the CR review about it, there is usually a thread in CD where other people with widely different opinions and notions are talking about the movie.

If you don't like something, you should definitely criticize it, but try to criticize it well. A lot of the previous noise was not good criticism, because they were not attempting to explain what was wrong with the review of a given kid's movie, but just expressing endless incredulity over the fact that a kid's movie was reviewed at all.

And there are several main and sub forums on here for people to blow off steam with low effort insults, if that's all they want to do. This thread as near as I can tell is intended for constructive (or what passes for it) feedback. Now some of y'all are being coaxed into doing so, that's good!

This is what I mean about bad criticism – it appears like you didn't really read any review. The infamous Boxtrolls review (for example) discusses all of these things that I bolded. Feel free to check if you think I'm lying, which brings me to the paranoia:

Tatum Girlparts, you understood the Gone Girl thing correctly. So did I, and I haven't seen the film nor am I interested in doing so. It's one thing to fear being mislead by the reviewers, but don't you even trust yourself?

I don't really think CR is very “leftist”, the reviewers as a group seem to have both progressive and conservative opinions. And in spite of being a crazy gay retard, I'm not the one trying to ascribe weird motivations/inner thoughts to others. You could be right, but it's more likely that we can safely take them at their word. Criticizing anyone's politics is good, but ranting about vague left-wing bias, well, you should know how that comes across as.

How do we know the reviewers have a “perceived social obligation” and are “outraged”, that they decided a movie was “problematic” before they saw it? It's far more likely they enjoy watching and thinking about film, and call problems as they see them.

How do you determine this merit? I hope you don't use “pre-approved” opinions

There's that paranoia again. They are colluding with the “leftist” hivemind! I bet that gamer girl is involved somehow, perhaps she cuckolded the film industry as well!

Your first reading is actually pretty good. The second falls apart, but you did that on purpose.

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” - Freud
“Yeah? And sometimes it's just a big brown dick in your mouth!” - Carlin

Actually, both the psychologist and comedian are wrong (or only half right). It's always both. And that's ok, seriously. Penises are good. Vaginas too for that matter. Fear them not, goons.

More paranoia. If someone is actually saying they are the end-all be-all of anything, that's life giving you a big hint: ignore this person. Your silly Speed analysis is great, and not dumb at all. Of course you are free to say that it is, as I am free to say that it isn't. No one is silenced, unless they silence themselves. Don't give in to weakness.

Masturbating is fun and healthy (don't overdo it though. I shouldn't have to say that, but y'know, nerds).

And I never said the Jungle book was about King Louie (this is what im talking about when I mock reading comprehension). It's about Mowgli becoming a man. Louie is definitely the most interesting villain, as opposed to the tiger and snake, but the story isn't about him. His quest for weapons of mass destruction is a subplot, at best. But it wasn't a strong reading, as I admitted, so whatever

DUDE! Someone should tell the mods/admins! WE CANT THEY'RE PART OF IT! What?! Alas, we did not heed the warning of Nolan's Batmen

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Senior Woodchuck posted:

From what I understand, a lot of the "advice" is stuff that the heroine actually does in the movie.

you mean the villain?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The only person who is paranoid is you dude. YOU are the one seeing things that aren't there.

I used to really enjoy CR, and I came in here to what is usually a fairly quiet thread to post about how I though the Gone Girl review was garbage and that ought to be worked on, but like whoa, guess I got to the party pretty late.

I went back through the CR archives and noticed almost every review that I thought was actually worthwhile were pretty much written by Vargo or Jay Dub.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
oh poo poo, another post by Black Bones - i've got to read this and address his points!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What do you think a good post looks like?

On this page, goatse.cx made one that is accurate. In the last few, woozle wuzzle got me pretty good with the Billy Madison video, that was legit. If I see any others I'll let ya know!

edit:

Chilled Cap posted:

oh poo poo, another post by Black Bones - i've got to read this and address his points!

I think you should! But you probably won't. c'mooooooon Chilled Cap, be a sport!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2014

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Black Bones posted:

On this page, goatse.cx made one that is accurate. In the last few, woozle wuzzle got me pretty good with the Billy Madison video, that was legit. If I see any others I'll let ya know!

edit:

I think you should! But you probably won't. c'mooooooon Chilled Cap, be a sport!

Can I ask you a big favor?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chilled Cap posted:

I actually think this is a bad idea. Please don't do this.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I learned my lesson about replying to him.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

DARPA Dad posted:

you mean the villain?

Heh. That works too.

As for the review, I don't know what to say. I got from it (a) that the reviewer hated the movie and (b) why, even without looking at the score box. A more traditionally structured review might have been easier for some to digest, but it probably would have said about the same things.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

quote:

I am obviously not a good enough writer
Agreed

quote:

for the front page,
Not sure

quote:

nor do I even want to be.
How can you be sure?

quote:

I will strive to post better here on the forums though.
Please don't

quote:

I was defending the front page because
Don't defend stuff just for the hell of it, your "defense" is making things worse!

quote:

I enjoy it a lot for the most part, and I think that most of the criticisms being offered in this thread are weak.
Your opinion...

quote:

This
What is 'this?'

quote:

does not mean that the front page writers shouldn't be criticized
Then stfu and let people crit them!

quote:

anymore than those criticisms cannot be criticized.
deep poo poo

quote:

Most of the complaints
Whose complaints?

quote:

are saying
According to you

quote:

that CR is mostly bad
correct

quote:

but it's actually mostly good.
incorrect

quote:

And that's honestly
Head to the resume and interviewing thread to learn why you shouldn't use "honestly" to argue

quote:

how I truly feel,
no one gives a poo poo

quote:

just like I'm 99.9%
jesus dude

quote:

sure that when the writers say something
how can you know this?

quote:

it is their actual opinion being expressed.
it's their opinion but it's contrived and forced either way

quote:

To assume that they don't really mean it, but are just pandering for "upvotes" or "pre-approved applause",
i'm 99.9% sure they are doing this

quote:

well, that seems weird and paranoid.
this is a common thing on the internet by this point, it's not paranoid to think

quote:

Even if it's true,
it's true

quote:

it's pretty irrelevant as a criticism.
it's not, this forced outrage is not fun to read and no one likes it but people who are poo poo like you

quote:

Just deal with the opinion,
you just deal with the criticism

quote:

it shouldn't be very hard,
again, no one is saying it's hard, just you

quote:

especially if it's a bad one.
a bad what?

quote:

I am implying
just state your implication don't say you're going to imply it, again see the interviewing megathread

quote:

that some of the criticisms
which ones? whose?

quote:

have been paranoid
again lol

quote:

not that there is an organized subterfuge going on behind them
subterfuge

quote:

The "they can't really mean it" nonsense.
they mean it, it's just forced, "how hard is it' to loving read?

quote:

Meant seriously or in jest
which one?

quote:

that's weak
'that' refers to what here?

quote:

As are variations if "it's dumb your dumb" etc.
if what is dumb?

quote:

Yeah, the Gone Girl review was poor analysis, but
this does not strengthen the coming argument

quote:

I think CR is generally better.
better than what?

quote:

Maybe the in-character format played a part too.
again admitting small concessions does not strengthen your lovely argument

quote:

A good criticism of that specific review would be to
going subjunctive on us now...

quote:

post something like that Time review as comparison - that was really good!
I quote you here that you shouldn't just say 'it's good' or 'it's bad'

quote:

The CR one really wasn't hard to figure out though
Which CR one?

quote:

, and I really don't understand the anger it caused.
because you're an idiot

quote:

I do aim for playful, since this is the internet,
yeah the internet is just a playful place

quote:

but I am definitely trying to confront what I think are bad posts.
hold a mirror up to your monitor LMAO!!!

quote:

Sorry if that comes across as smug,
you're not sorry at all

quote:

I'm working on it.
on what? getting more smug?

quote:

edit:
Here's the Time review, in case anyone missed it
you seriously edited this post?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

As for the review, I don't know what to say. I got from it (a) that the reviewer hated the movie and (b) why, even without looking at the score box. A more traditionally structured review might have been easier for some to digest, but it probably would have said about the same things.

No, if all a review had to say is that the reviewer hated the movie, and the "why" is because the reviewer is not a smart person, then it wouldn't be critical analysis of film that any adult would want to read. I guess you're the target audience which is more of an indictment of the column than anything else. Also, you can keep talking like the Triticum Guzzler thing didn't happen, but all I hear is the stuttering excuses of George McFly after Biff catches him in the diner.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 8, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
ha ha, what's going on in here?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

N. Senada posted:

ha ha, what's going on in here?

People were mislead by the incorrect thread title. If a mod is reading this, please change it to:
I dont read Current Releases anymore, and neither should you.

Thanks in Advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

woozle wuzzle posted:

No, if all a review had to say is that the reviewer hated the movie, and the "why" is because the reviewer is not a smart person, then it wouldn't be critical analysis of film that any adult would want to read. I guess you're the target audience which is more of an indictment of the column than anything else. Also, you can keep talking like the Triticum Guzzler thing didn't happen, but all I hear is the stuttering excuses of George McFly after Biff catches him in the diner.

the Triticum Guzzler thing

• Locked thread