Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I'll stick with it because, hey, Agents of SHIELD got really good, and it started way worse than Gotham has. I'm not sure whether it's the focus on Batman's villains that's putting me off, or that the GCPD stuff isn't great, or some combination of both.
Agents at least had the delightful Clark Gregg to numb the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

redbackground posted:

Agents at least had the delightful Clark Gregg to numb the pain.
Also Patton Oswalt which means I can't totally hate the show. Though I actually liked the show for Season 1, it had a rough beginning, but I bet it is much easier to watch knowing what happens in the end + not waiting week or weeks for each episode.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing about Shield (at least for the first season) is that it needed to wait for the movies so it could tie in and do something worthwhile while shows like Arrow are free to do whatever they want. I prefer the latter as it means less wheel-spinning.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's more than enough Marvel lore that they could have written interesting things without being concerned about the film universe until it was appropriate. There really isn't any excuse for why the show is so dull.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

There's more than enough Marvel lore that they could have written interesting things without being concerned about the film universe until it was appropriate.
Dammit, I was going to say the same thing.

Happily, it's a pretty watchable and enjoyable show now, though. I think they're still too timid when it comes to larger-than-life concepts and characters, but they're getting there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Man is a regular human wearing a suit :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah, people keep bringing up Winter Soldier, but it's a poor excuse. It doesn't explain why they had a show about a cool high tech spy agency in a Superhero universe, and spent 12-15 episodes doing incredibly dull missions involving incredibly dull characters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, people keep bringing up Winter Soldier, but it's a poor excuse. It doesn't explain why they had a show about a cool high tech spy agency in a Superhero universe, and spent 12-15 episodes doing incredibly dull missions involving incredibly dull characters.

I'm sure there was a bunch of reasons why it turned out the way it did, I would love for one of the producers to write a behind-the-scenes expose in a few years time about the lovely time they had dealing with Disney/Marvel and the ridiculous restrictions they no doubt had to work under.

But yeah, crushing corporate directives are no excuse for the show's milquetoast start. And I'm saying that as a fan who watched every single episode as they came out and kept coming back for more.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I mean Centipede and whatever else, there was a reason we were all rolling our eyes and say "Why not just call them Hydra?". I think Coulson even made a reference to the Hydra logo of cut off one, two more take the place at some point before TWS. But changing the names of the evil orgs or calling people D-list super hero/villain names wasn't going to improve the show. I think the fault is that, rather than spend the first 12 episodes doing character development, they decided to make it a paranormal procedural show that they've since almost completely abandoned.

I wouldn't call it a bad show but I have no real desire to go back and watch most of the first round of episodes other than the pilot and maybe the Graviton episode, which I thought was pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

In fact, the main plot of the first 2 episodes this season (SHIELD traitor selling secrets leads to 084 and the aftermath of that) and their villain character that everyone seems to agree were pretty good could have been done in season 1 pre-Winter Soldier too. Obviously SHIELD being rebuilt by Coulson, Talbot/the government's part in the story and some other little bits wouldn't fit, but it's not like those couldn't have been replaced.

The Winter Soldier release prevented the full reveal of the season 1 arc but it didn't make them do such dull episodes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, good thing SHIELD is pretty cool now guys

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think the fault is that, rather than spend the first 12 episodes doing character development, they decided to make it a paranormal procedural show that they've since almost completely abandoned. .

Deep down I suspect every television executive wants all dramas to be episodic procedurals that viewers can drop in and out of at the drop of a hat and not feel like they have to catch up on a massive backstory in order to do so.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

howe_sam posted:

Deep down I suspect every television executive wants all dramas to be episodic procedurals that viewers can drop in and out of at the drop of a hat and not feel like they have to catch up on a massive backstory in order to do so.
Which is what Jeph Loeb did with Marvel cartoons, but I doubt he was the only one behind that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

howe_sam posted:

Every tv show after Lost would imply the exact opposite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

Execs love this because they can sell the show into syndication forever. Just look at Law and Order (which really perfected the formula) and stuff like CSI and such.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Look at how many of those shows that tried to ape Lost were cancelled after barely one season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Lord knows that's what I want.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, NCIS is the highest rated show on US network TV.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Ah yes, all the successful :lost:clones that are populating network primetime these days.

Almost all the popular and successful network shows are the standalone procedurals (that also, of course, come with your free dollop of overarching "mythology"): Blacklist, CSI: (all of them), NCIS (all of them), Castle, Hawaii 5-0, Criminal Minds, Scorpion, The Mentalist, Madam Secretary, Person of Interest, How to Get Away With Murder, even Gotham, etc.

You have your more standard dramas like Grey's Anatomy and Scandal, but those are just glossy soap operas that you can still jump in on pretty easily.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 7, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

redbackground posted:

Ah yes, all the successful :lost:clones that are populating network primetime these days.

Almost all the popular and successful network shows are the standalone procedurals (that also, of course, come with your free dollop of overarching "mythology"): Blacklist, CSI (all of them), NCIS (all of them), Castle, Hawaii 5-0, Criminal Minds, Scorpion, Madam Secretary, Person of Interest, How to Get Away With Murder, even Gotham, etc.

You have your more standard dramas like Grey's Anatomy and Scandal, but those are just glossy soap opera that you can still jump in on pretty easily.

Well, consider me educated. I guess they just became white noise for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, there's only one CSI running currently. Miami and NY died.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

CSI: Cyber is about to start! Starring James Van Der Beek as "Elijah Mundo"! It's already my favorite show.

(and your point is taken, but they both aired for 10 and 9 years, respectively--not too shabby.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 7, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

Not true, there's now CSI: Cyber!

Ugh, too slow. Anyway yeah, procedurals are generally viewed as easier to syndicate and the most popular shows on TV are procedurals. So I think ABC would've loved it if AoS could've been NCIS: Shield.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Brought up by someone else in the Flash TV thread, but here's our first look at Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

Brought up by someone else in the Flash TV thread, but here's our first look at Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold.
Gun looks sooo cheap.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I wish they could've just given him the slit shades instead of generic blue goggles. Maybe he'll get a more costumey look down the line.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Certainly possible. The Deadshot and Deathstroke costumes on Arrow evolved over time, and Oliver's suit is apparently getting a revamp this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What? No parka? At least he doesn't have the terrible new 52 muscle shirt look.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

What? No parka? At least he doesn't have the terrible new 52 muscle shirt look.

Also posted in the TV thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Starling is Vancouver. No winter.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aphrodite posted:

Starling is Vancouver. No winter.

It's actually either Boston or San Francisco, depending on what era you want to land on. So increased chance of winter!

e: Although they might have settled on "Seattle" at this point.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 8, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's actually either Boston or San Francisco, depending on what era you want to land on. So increased chance of winter!

e: Although they might have settled on "Seattle" at this point.

No, as in it's LITERALLY shot in Vancouver. Just like Smallville, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Stargate and basically any other genre show in the last 15 years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That is what someone who has never been anyplace it gets below 53 degrees thinks is a winter coat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

No, as in it's LITERALLY shot in Vancouver. Just like Smallville, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Stargate and basically any other genre show in the last 15 years.

I think Vancouver's best performance was when it played against type as "Seacouver" in Highlander: The Series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Vancouver's best performance was when it played against type as "Seacouver" in Highlander: The Series.

Pfft, it took half the season off and Paris had to pick up the slack with it's natural French sophistication and sex appeal. And then they dropped Vancouver from the last season entirely because it wanted more money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard it kept getting into big behind-the-scenes fights with Adrian Paul, but don't quote me on that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So the Flash pilot has wrapped up, and in its wake, we have our trailer for the series post-episode 1:

https://t.co/esKmevTMug

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

How did no one mention Law and Order as a procedural? The king of procedurals?

edit I'm dumb

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Except that Madkal did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hup posted:

redbackground posted:

Except that Madkal did.

As someone who basically used to watch 4 hours of Law and Order a day throughout my college years, and would continue to watch it in all versions to this day drat straight I would mention it.