Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

I am not a book posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 750GL. I absolutely need wifi though, is there a suggested AP besides an Apple product?

If it's a home setup, buy a used Linksys E2000 (or E3000 if you need simultaneous dual band) off Amazon, it's the gold standard 802.11n router that the WRT54G(L) was to 802.11g. It's ancient but there's been no advancement besides 802.11ac, which (for a decent one) currently comes at a premium that's difficult to justify, especially if you don't have any devices that actually support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Turns out my SFP issues seem to be auto-negotiation based problems, not bridge group ports.

It says auto-negotiation incomplete on the interfaces. Fun times.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Did you get a chance to try it on the other CCR?

I bought a Unifi AP for my project. $68 with prime shipping and everything I need to stick it in the ceiling tile included and it gets me on a different channel for that room and the random old poo poo people bring. If anyone knows I'd still appreciate an answer. Or if that made no sense at all tell me.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Exact same problem on the other CCR. Basically the SFP interfaces don't auto-negotiate all of the time, due to half-duplex advertisement being turned off by default-- I think.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is that the SFP it came with or one of your own?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

thebigcow posted:

Is that the SFP it came with or one of your own?

Mikrotik's own SFP connectors off of Routerboard.com

I'm guessing it was some poo poo to do with the CCR's firmware, as plugging the same SFP connectors into CRSes and they lit up immediately.

Fun fact as well: the last 3 link lights on the CCR for SFP9-12 are on, but nothing is plugged into them. This was the same with both the main and spare I used, and I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with my script I put in. Maybe I should downgrade this thing to NOT the latest firmware.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
If it's brand new, get it replaced. Don't put any work into it unless your vendor asks you to.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

NOTinuyasha posted:

If it's a home setup, buy a used Linksys E2000 (or E3000 if you need simultaneous dual band) off Amazon, it's the gold standard 802.11n router that the WRT54G(L) was to 802.11g. It's ancient but there's been no advancement besides 802.11ac, which (for a decent one) currently comes at a premium that's difficult to justify, especially if you don't have any devices that actually support it.

I want something thats at least reasonably close to enterprise grade.

BurgerQuest posted:

I'll be hooking up Ubiquiti PicoStation(s) to my 750 that's on it's way. Also have a few Cisco (Linksys) WAP4410N's floating around at the moment too.
They aren't selling it in their store. :(

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 28, 2014

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I am not a book posted:

I want something thats at least reasonably close to enterprise grade.

I use a Ubiquiti Unifi Pro with an RB493 and I haven't had any issues in the 20 months they've been running.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
Has anyone ever set up dynamic dns updating for DHCP hosts? Our local office has about a half-dozen workstations or similar devices on DHCP, and I'd kind of like for us to be able to go to foo.localoffice.company.com after foo has acquired a DHCP lease and have it Just Work™. Worst case I figure I can make the resources that don't move around use a fixed IP and set up a static DNS entry, but I thought I'd ask here. Google and the mikrotik wiki pointed at using a variety of complicated-looking scripts running on a schedule to make this happen, so I'm hoping someone has a better alternative? (There does seem to be a way to tell a BIND server that something has updated, but not the ROS one.)

This is a RB951G-2HnD running 5.26, fwiw.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I haven't seen a way to do it without the aforementioned mess of scripts in RouterOS. Its irritating that seemingly every lovely consumer router can do this but not the Latvians.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

volkadav posted:

Has anyone ever set up dynamic dns updating for DHCP hosts? Our local office has about a half-dozen workstations or similar devices on DHCP, and I'd kind of like for us to be able to go to foo.localoffice.company.com after foo has acquired a DHCP lease and have it Just Work™. Worst case I figure I can make the resources that don't move around use a fixed IP and set up a static DNS entry, but I thought I'd ask here. Google and the mikrotik wiki pointed at using a variety of complicated-looking scripts running on a schedule to make this happen, so I'm hoping someone has a better alternative? (There does seem to be a way to tell a BIND server that something has updated, but not the ROS one.)

This is a RB951G-2HnD running 5.26, fwiw.

Script based is the only way to do it. I don't remember if 5.x supports it, but in 6.x you can tell DHCP to just execute a script when it hands out a lease. In this case, one of the scripts that adds the IP and hostname into DNS, instead of running it on a scheduler.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Has anyone used the mAP 2n internal access point and has an opinion on it for signal quality? I'm considering one for my home network since I don't really need 5ghz (no competing stuff on 2.4ghz nearby) and there's a bunch of bugs in the actiontec modem/router piece of poo poo that came with my service that cause it to be stuck on WPA instead of WPA2 no matter how much setting and resetting of the config that I do. I know wireless security is laughable but I'd prefer something that takes hours to break instead of minutes. The mAP 2n has PoE passthrough and USB input for power or for a 3g/4g modem but neither seems like a feature I need. I'm just looking for a low power WAP that can cover half a house. My alternate choice is a Ubiquiti UniFi since I've used those for work, but it's quite a bit more expensive and it's very hands off for configuration. I like being able to set things up exactly how I want them with mikrotik, even if it takes a bit of time to learn what I'm doing.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I haven't used that particular unit, but 2n is a pretty weak radio. If you want it to cover half the house look into something that has the 2HnD.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
One is like a 50whatever radio, the other is 1000whatever. When I turned it on to test it, it completely drowned out my old Netgear's AP signal.

In the back of my mind it makes me kind of think I shouldn't have it on my desk next to where I sleep, but oh well-- STRONG WIFI COVERAGE FOR ME.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks for the info guys. Given the price bump for the 2HnD units I went with the Ubiquiti UniFi for now. I like the look of the mAP 2n but since it's new there seem to be some bugs on their forums for it. I'll give it another look when I'm ready to replace the WAP on the other half of the house.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I'd stay the hell away from that little m AP2 unit for now. Let the rest of us poor saps fight it for a bit until Latvia gets the firmware mostly ironed out.

Here's some fun notes from one of our admins about the RB2011L:

quote:

2011L (note the L, it's important) boards have a few issues, notably that under older software and firmware the CPU can crash, leaving the switch chips running in their most basic state. Essentially, the boards become two dumb switches: a gigabit one on ports 1-5, and a 10/100 one on ports 6-10; with no connectivity between the two.

2011U (note the U, it's important) boards do not do this.

Aside from the letter in the model number, the models are easily differentiated, as the 'U' units have a USB port and LCD screen.

If you've been having weird times with your RB2011's, this may help explain it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Did they sell the L in an enclosure or was it a bare board? I don't think I've ever seen one.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

I'd stay the hell away from that little m AP2 unit for now. Let the rest of us poor saps fight it for a bit until Latvia gets the firmware mostly ironed out.

Here's some fun notes from one of our admins about the RB2011L:

If you've been having weird times with your RB2011's, this may help explain it.

I'm having good luck with my mAP2n units! My only gripe is I cannot get active PoE 802.3af to work, despite it advertising support for it. Otherwise, it's awesome! I've had 35 cameras deployed for the past 3 weeks, now, with 48v passive injectors, doing PoE passthrough, enabling each camera to individually dial back to our VPN server, and using the built in radio as a client to a central AP in the middle of the complex.

Is it as powerful as the larger desktop boxes? No. Does it function as expected? Except for the 802.3af problem, hell yes!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

We just got the new RB951's in at work. They are the lower powered models. Setup just the same as the high power versions but they are itty bitty. Look more like a 750 than a wifi router.

Also got to program up an RB2011. Hahah it looks so cool with the red case and the totally obnoxious LCD panel up top. There are some extra options in the config so you can setup the fiber port and tweak the LCD screen but otherwise nothing particularly strange. They script just as well as the other gear I've worked with.

Wheee!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
When the backlight turns off the LCD stays on.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
We have a monthly bandwidth cap here, and I'd like to track everyones total data usage.

Is there anything in the RouterOS for my RB750GL that is capable of tracking the total incoming/outgoing traffic on the gateway interface used by each IP on the network? Barring that, is there some external tool I can run on my computer that will query the router for the information and keep track of it locally?

I've done a bit of Googling but haven't found much.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

DarkJC posted:

We have a monthly bandwidth cap here, and I'd like to track everyones total data usage.

Here's a pretty handy tool. I don't know if it's a perfect fit but check it out: http://www.paessler.com/snmp_monitor

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Downloaded the tool and wow, there's a lot of stuff in here but hopefully with some tinkering it looks like it'll do the job! Thanks.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I pulled one port of my RB751G-2HnD off the switch chip for a DMZ and renamed it. After digging around a bit it occurs to me that there is no way to determine which physical port it is outside of the Blink button, and that if I did something nuts and renamed everything I would have a problem. Am I missing something?

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
Could use deductive reasoning in the switch port area to know what was and wasn't there.

I think documentation would be the only solution here. I looked and didn't see anything either, but we probably overlooked something somewhere. I use the etherx-function schema.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

thebigcow posted:

I pulled one port of my RB751G-2HnD off the switch chip for a DMZ and renamed it. After digging around a bit it occurs to me that there is no way to determine which physical port it is outside of the Blink button, and that if I did something nuts and renamed everything I would have a problem. Am I missing something?

Nope. You could seriously make things awful if you went and did this.

Protip: don't do that.

Super Protip: Before you start mucking about, save the current config. In Winbox, click on the Files option on the left and then click "Backup". You can drag and drop the file it makes to your desktop for safekeeping but if you do something really stupid you now have a way to reset the router and then roll back to your previously working config. It's stored on the flash chip so as long as you don't wipe that out you can return to it.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 6, 2014

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah don't rename interfaces ever.

A few months back a guy I worked with swapped the even numbered ports on a CloudRouterSwitch to the odd numbered ports since Mikrotik weirdly made ether1 start on the bottom left instead of top left. Ether1 became ether2, and ether2 became ether1.

This did not end well, since the LEDs on the ports are still physically numbered with the original way Mikrotik intended and the dude forgot to like tell anyone he did this until it went into our production network of like 30 other similar CRSes that DIDN'T get renamed.

That's when I stopped letting anyone else try to make Mikrotik config scripts on their own for this job's network.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 6, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Its just for home, I'm going to live on the edge.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Alright, so I was checking out the changelog for 6.20 and the default DHCP lease time is now 10 minutes. Am I right in thinking that this is a bit low, especially for environments where new clients get added very rarely?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there any way to read the config for a backup (short of restoring the backup and dumping the config). Like, is there a way to get the config from the encrypted backup itself?

edit: gently caress it, I just restored the backup and did an export.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 7, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Timespy posted:

Alright, so I was checking out the changelog for 6.20 and the default DHCP lease time is now 10 minutes. Am I right in thinking that this is a bit low, especially for environments where new clients get added very rarely?

Yeah that's way too short, not sure why they made that change. If you are in no risk of using up your available IPs I'd increase it. Mine is at 1 day. If the router died for some reason, users would still be able to use local network resources for a day.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can change the lease time to whatever you want in /ip dhcp-server

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I assume the DHCP change was for metered wireless cafes in parts of the world that have such things. Why you would make that a default :iiam:

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is there any reason to upgrade from v5.26 to v6.x? Mine's been solid on 5.26 for a while now but I'm curious to know if I'm missing out on anything important.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

NOTinuyasha posted:

You violated rule number one of using RouterOS products: if it's working fine, don't upgrade. Don't upgrade ever unless you have a reason to. They break about as much in upgrades as they manage to fix.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Is there any reason to upgrade from v5.26 to v6.x? Mine's been solid on 5.26 for a while now but I'm curious to know if I'm missing out on anything important.

6.19 adds an "auto" channel option for the wireless. :3:

...and probably breaks a half dozen subtle things in the background at the same time. OH ahahaha and 6.20 changes DHCP lease times because IS BESTEST LATVIAN PROGRAMMING! YES! IS GOODEST!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Their updates have been pretty decent lately to be honest.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
:woop:RB2011: arrived:woop:

Now I just have to wait until lunch to set it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tinfoil hat question:

The main uplink port for my apartment (phone line for DSL) is 6 feet from my bed and 2 feet from my desk where I spend a lot of time when not sleeping at home. Should I be concerned about a 1000 mW antenna off of one of these wifi routers being so close to both?

Edit - I already ran one cord from my bedroom to my downstairs NAS in a more central location, but I don't really want to run a second :[

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 9, 2014