Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
One thing that annoyed me in DS9 was how Bashir was constantly places a doctor had no business. 'Fighting the Dominion? Let's put our chief medical officer on a runabout' 'Spacial anomaly? Let's send the doctor!'

I'm pretty sure that's why they ended up making him superhuman, it gave them a sort of justifiable reason to have him doing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mng posted:

As much as CGI has improved over the years there are still some things that it just can't do right, especially fluids it seems. The Thing, Terminator 1+2, Robocop, Alien(s) still hold up to this day. It can look cheesy and you can point at something and say 'ha, that's a dummy!', but it still looks, well, real. Our brains are weird.

That's a pretty good point. I was watching Alien again last night for the first time in a while and that poo poo holds up rather well. Sure, you can tell that the chest burster was a puppet and that Ash's head was talking through a hole in the table - poo poo like that - but the overall effect is still more visceral than CGI. All the poo poo poo poo caked on Ash's face, the coils and hoses, the jerky movements of the baby alien all work really well and have a physicality to them that CGI can't reach. The face hugger surgery scene is incredibly creepy.

Same with Robocop and Terminator like you said. The stop motion Ray Harryhausen jerkiness somehow feels more physical and robotic than CGI does. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas uses puppetry in a similar way to visually describe an acid trip. I suppose you can add Jurrasic Park to this category.

To contribute: speaking of Alien, gently caress that motherfucking cat. gently caress Jonesey right his stupid cat rear end and gently caress Ripley for wasting time with him. They're down to three people, they're separated, the ship's going to blow up, Ripley hears her crew mates being slaughtered and she's worried about this motherfucking stupid rear end cat. "We've got to save the animals/pet!" tropes are irrationally irritating to me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WickedHate posted:

It's been awhile since I saw it, was he injured by the Predator? That'd be finishing a kill. You wouldn't leave a deer limping away if your shot didn't kill them.

As I recall, he was injured by one of their own traps during a big fight with the predator--his ribs were busted by a log or something.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

You should probably just go and watch Captain Philips because not only does that occur but it's all 100% true.

Edit: And for content, Gone Girl has so many holes in the perfect plan to fake my own death it's ridiculous. The whole thing at the end hinges on the police being too lazy to do even the most cursory inspection of the lake house and everyone just going "well gently caress it I guess bitches be crazy!".

I haven't laughed that much at a film in a while, not 100% sure I was supposed to though.

I think a lot of scenes in it we were meant to laugh at, lots of us did in the cinema when I saw it today. What annoyed me about Gone Girl was Neil Patrick Harris's character is the biggest, creepiest Nice Guy in the world, in fact I was expecting him to murder Amy for real in the lake house, but none of the other characters seemed to acknowledge that until after she killed him and "escaped". They were all saying "Poor thing, she accused him of stalking her" - but he absolutely did stalk her and pestered her with letters and showed up in the neighbourhood and all sorts, after twenty years! They made too much of the "bitches lie about this stuff to hurt innocent men" and not enough of the "maybe a few of these guys really were bad news, and this is the company Nick finds himself in" angle.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Lotish posted:

As I recall, he was injured by one of their own traps during a big fight with the predator--his ribs were busted by a log or something.

quote:

Following a disastrous attempt to capture and kill the Jungle Hunter using improvised traps constructed from the materials of the jungle, Poncho was severely wounded when the escaping Predator unintentionally blasted a nearby tree with its Plasma Caster, dislodging a huge branch that then swung down and stuck Poncho in the chest, hitting him with enough force to physically fling him off of his feet.
Poncho's death

Despite his shattered ribs and severe internal injuries, Poncho insisted that he could make it to the extraction site and Dutch began carrying him away while Mac, Dillon and Billy staged courageous but ultimately futile rearguard actions. Soon after Billy was slaughtered, the Predator ambushed Dutch and Poncho, killing Poncho with a single shot to the head from its Plasma Caster. It is likely the Predator took Poncho's skull as a trophy.

quote:

The real-life goblin spider species Predatoroonops poncho is named after Poncho Ramirez; every member of the Predatoroonops genus has a name that references Predator, due to the perceived similarity between the spider's mouthparts and the Predator's mandibles

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Jorge_%22Poncho%22_Ramirez

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a pretty good point. I was watching Alien again last night for the first time in a while and that poo poo holds up rather well. Sure, you can tell that the chest burster was a puppet and that Ash's head was talking through a hole in the table - poo poo like that - but the overall effect is still more visceral than CGI. All the poo poo poo poo caked on Ash's face, the coils and hoses, the jerky movements of the baby alien all work really well and have a physicality to them that CGI can't reach. The face hugger surgery scene is incredibly creepy.

Same with Robocop and Terminator like you said. The stop motion Ray Harryhausen jerkiness somehow feels more physical and robotic than CGI does. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas uses puppetry in a similar way to visually describe an acid trip. I suppose you can add Jurrasic Park to this category.

To contribute: speaking of Alien, gently caress that motherfucking cat. gently caress Jonesey right his stupid cat rear end and gently caress Ripley for wasting time with him. They're down to three people, they're separated, the ship's going to blow up, Ripley hears her crew mates being slaughtered and she's worried about this motherfucking stupid rear end cat. "We've got to save the animals/pet!" tropes are irrationally irritating to me.

Jonesy always bothered me a bit when I watch Alien. Unless I missed a bit of dialogue or a shot of him as they emerge from cryosleep, he isn't even mentioned until Brett and the others find him hiding. "Oh it's just the ship's cat!" as if that's a normal thing to say. Though now that I said that, it does remind me of old sailing ships that would have cats onboard to catch rodents so it's probably a nod to that tradition.
Having Brett do the typical trope of splitting from the group to find the stupid cat so it wouldn't show up on the motion detector again is definitely an irritating moment for me, even if it does fit with the theme of the xenomorph picking off the crew one by one. I definitely agree with the animals>human trope. You're being chased by a loving scary-rear end monster, who cares about Mr. Whiskers at that stage?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mng posted:

Jonesy

I remember seeing the film as a kid in the theater when it first came out (I was 12. What was my family thinking?) but even then I kept seeing the cat as a McGuffin. Myself, and everyone else in the theater thought their was an egg in the cat and ws bitching at Ripley to just leave the loving cat behind.

Come to think of it, that would have made a lot more sense and would have been a better plot device than "Alien has time to waste two of the last three crew members, make it all the way back to the escape shuttle, hibernate, lay in silence, never pass Ripley through the tunnels or the one doorway to the escape shuttle and then sneaks out once she starts to strip off her clothes." A face hugger erupting from the cat would have been a lot creepier and scary. That fast little crab motherfucker chasing her in that enclosed space. Plus it would have played on the idea of Ripley's empathy and given a reason for saving Jones in the first place.

Also, why is the alien in such stasis at that point? It acted like it had been there forever and was half asleep, which makes no sense if it traveled all the way to the shuttle after killing Parker and...um...the paralyzed screaming woman. I choose to explain it away by assuming that there was always more than one alien all along, all in various states of growth, and that's why it changes size so drastically. That makes a hell of a lot more sense except we never see it happen or are given a reason to believe HOW it could have happened.

I LOVE the film to death and like Aliens even better but there are problems with both of them. Irrational problems in some cases.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember seeing the film as a kid in the theater when it first came out (I was 12. What was my family thinking?)
Oh, that's nothing. My dad scared the poo poo out of my younger sister by showing her either that or Aliens when she was 6.

The stuff with the cat reminds me of the part in the Dawn Of The Dead remake when that girl gets a few people and nearly herself killed just so she can save a dog.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

mng posted:

Having Brett do the typical trope of splitting from the group to find the stupid cat so it wouldn't show up on the motion detector again is definitely an irritating moment for me, even if it does fit with the theme of the xenomorph picking off the crew one by one. I definitely agree with the animals>human trope. You're being chased by a loving scary-rear end monster, who cares about Mr. Whiskers at that stage?

My favourite thing about that part is that when he's in that room by himself looking for the cat, he's looking up, and when the camera shows us what he's looking at, you can clearly see the alien hanging there (well, just it's head). And you'd think, given that he was one of the maintenance guys, he would definitely have noticed that weird organic-looking thing that shouldn't be hanging there but nah, he's just an idiot.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember seeing the film as a kid in the theater when it first came out (I was 12. What was my family thinking?) but even then I kept seeing the cat as a McGuffin. Myself, and everyone else in the theater thought their was an egg in the cat and ws bitching at Ripley to just leave the loving cat behind.

Come to think of it, that would have made a lot more sense and would have been a better plot device than "Alien has time to waste two of the last three crew members, make it all the way back to the escape shuttle, hibernate, lay in silence, never pass Ripley through the tunnels or the one doorway to the escape shuttle and then sneaks out once she starts to strip off her clothes." A face hugger erupting from the cat would have been a lot creepier and scary. That fast little crab motherfucker chasing her in that enclosed space. Plus it would have played on the idea of Ripley's empathy and given a reason for saving Jones in the first place.

Also, why is the alien in such stasis at that point? It acted like it had been there forever and was half asleep, which makes no sense if it traveled all the way to the shuttle after killing Parker and...um...the paralyzed screaming woman. I choose to explain it away by assuming that there was always more than one alien all along, all in various states of growth, and that's why it changes size so drastically. That makes a hell of a lot more sense except we never see it happen or are given a reason to believe HOW it could have happened.

I LOVE the film to death and like Aliens even better but there are problems with both of them. Irrational problems in some cases.

The thinking originally was that the Alien had a very rapid life cycle, and by the time it reaches the pod it's basically already half-dead. There was a deleted scene where we see it cocooned Dallas and Brett and had begun some kind of process of turning them into aliens (??), so it had pretty much fulfilled its reproductive purpose.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

The thinking originally was that the Alien had a very rapid life cycle, and by the time it reaches the pod it's basically already half-dead. There was a deleted scene where we see it cocooned Dallas and Brett and had begun some kind of process of turning them into aliens (??), so it had pretty much fulfilled its reproductive purpose.

Close, it transforms them into eggs.

And that cat is one of the crew members! Of course they don't leave him behind. :mad:

edit: i mean :catstare:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

This was always my understanding of that scene. Alien's got the itis from eating (almost) an entire crew and fucks off to the tiny secure space that human know as "life pod" to sleep it off, then Ripley comes bumbling in and wakes it up from near-hibernation/metamorphosis.

As for the cat it's just a trope; people in horror movies do stupid, self-sacrificing things for animals because said animals exist. It's not a choice it's a rule of the genre, but yeah it still feels out of place for the character Ripley to do something like that. Honestly I kind of suspect some studio exec made them shoehorn that in although I have no proof.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I think he is still holding his gun when they get attacked at the end, and he gets shot because he tries to raise it and fire.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

That was one of the few things I liked about the new Star Trek movie.

When they were doing that weird space jump thing to land on the platform, they all had colored armor to match up what level they were.

Of course the red guy hosed up right off the bat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

No armour in a fight is perfectly reasonable when fights are conducted with high energy weapons. If you're hit you're dead anyway, so why wear heavy gear that'll slow you down?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

No armour in a fight is perfectly reasonable when fights are conducted with high energy weapons. If you're hit you're dead anyway, so why wear heavy gear that'll slow you down?

That makes sense when they're fighting a klingon platoon or whatever. It makes less sense when they beam down to an unexplored planet and inevitably get attacked by this week's big monster with pointed teeth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That makes sense when they're fighting a klingon platoon or whatever. It makes less sense when they beam down to an unexplored planet and inevitably get attacked by this week's big monster with pointed teeth.

"Beam me up".

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Because a lot of the fighting isn't with high energy weapons. People spend at least as much time punching and stabbing each other as shooting. The episode with Quark selling guns shows what actually high powered weapons are and hand phazers don't make the list.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

"Beam me up".

Most crewmen don't have the reaction time to say "Beam me up" between seeing the monster and being devoured, let alone to say it with enough leeway for the transporter room guy to actually beam them up. Even if they did and you didn't want to go into unknown situations with anything more than a t-shirt for whatever reason, presumably once you found something dangerous you'd beam up and come back with armor, but they never do that either.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That makes sense when they're fighting a klingon platoon or whatever.

*Platoon of Klingons attack with those dumb sword things*

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
So I guess the lesson here is never post anything from a science fiction film/show unless you want a bunch of fans of said film/show trying to rationalize your irrational irritation with specific examples of made up, irrational poo poo and :techno:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

*Platoon of Klingons attack with those dumb sword things*

They're called bat'leths. You petaQ.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

LoonShia posted:

They're called bat'leths. You petaQ.

People for the ethical treatment of animal....quilts? quiche? quadrilaterals?

No wait, that's a capital Q. I got it: People for the ethical treatment of animals in Qatar!

Garrand has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Oct 7, 2014

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Garrand posted:

No wait, that's a capital Q. I got it: People for the ethical treatment of animals in Qatar!

That's a really insensitive way to refer to the people building the World Cup stadiums.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Garrand posted:

Well, Qatar is one of the main countries in the world that race camels, so that makes sense too.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Garrand posted:

No no no. It's obviously means that he's equivalent to a quadrillion Qs.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Gordon Shumway posted:

I think he is still holding his gun when they get attacked at the end, and he gets shot because he tries to raise it and fire.

I dunno, watching this, he didn't seem to do much of anything. Only Dillon was in any way aggressive, and Billy didn't even have a gun.

The Predator is a giant pussy. If they fight Aliens, humans must be real loving easy to kill.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I dunno, watching this, he didn't seem to do much of anything. Only Dillon was in any way aggressive, and Billy didn't even have a gun.

The Predator is a giant pussy. If they fight Aliens, humans must be real loving easy to kill.

Humans are smart, work in groups, and fight really dirty. We are awesome prey to predators.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why was mystique able to replicate trask's fingerprints if she had never met him?

I mean, not that she should have been able to anyways, but...

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm sure its been mentioned before, but it still bugs me that in Terminator 3 and 4 the default method of machines fighting humans seems to be to fling them as far away as possible then slowly walk over to them and repeat. At least in the first two films you got the honest sense that if the terminator ever got close enough to touch you it was all over.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Bishop posted:

a quadrillion Qs.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Pretty sure I mentioned it before but Minority report. Tom Cruise takes his old eye balls in a bag and uses them to to gain access to future crimes or what ever the place was. Why the hell does he still have access being a fugitive and/or dead? You get fired/arrested in any other job in the world and they take away your keys/alarm pass words/computer log in information etc.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MrJacobs posted:

Humans are smart, work in groups, and fight really dirty. We are awesome prey to predators.

Yeah, this is a thing in the terrible books. Newbie Predators hunt xenos because while they're hella dangerous the aliens are predictable to Predators. Humans are wily fucks that train killers and once you kick the bees nest it's only a matter of time before they shoot an A-Bomb or a Danny Glover at whatever town you're loving around in.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Pretty sure I mentioned it before but Minority report. Tom Cruise takes his old eye balls in a bag and uses them to to gain access to future crimes or what ever the place was. Why the hell does he still have access being a fugitive and/or dead? You get fired/arrested in any other job in the world and they take away your keys/alarm pass words/computer log in information etc.

My excuse for this (which was just me trying to fix it, I'm sure they didn't think about it), is that they figured with all the cameras around, they would have scanned him well before he got there. My big problem with his eyes in that movie is when his wife puts them on the piano keys, it makes the keyboard play the notes. However, they zoom right in on the keyboard, and it's not pressing any keys down.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I cant think of any movies specifically, and its not done all that much anymore but I hate, hate sped up footage to make something look faster than it is. Like a car chase.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cage posted:

I cant think of any movies specifically, and its not done all that much anymore but I hate, hate sped up footage to make something look faster than it is. Like a car chase.

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy4VtKCVNo

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Haha, I was waiting for it. Then zoom boat out of nowhere. Yeah that bugs me.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Certainly true in Star Wars. Troopers are lugging around full body armor suits and then get instantly killed by one shot from a dinky laser pistol. Laser weapons can't shoot through trees or metal doors but armor that can withstand them haven't been invented.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except the heavy prequel nature of the universe means it was, then for some reason totally abandoned like lightsaber resistant armor and shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

IUG posted:

My excuse for this (which was just me trying to fix it, I'm sure they didn't think about it), is that they figured with all the cameras around, they would have scanned him well before he got there. My big problem with his eyes in that movie is when his wife puts them on the piano keys, it makes the keyboard play the notes. However, they zoom right in on the keyboard, and it's not pressing any keys down.

And depending on how stiff the piano is, you'd have to push them down quite hard on the keys to make a sound. You don't want to do that with spare eyes!