Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Honestly I was laughing my rear end off the whole time. It felt like golden age Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

WrathOfBlade posted:

Still kind of disappointed at the dearth of fake TV show gags this season, although I guess I can appreciate them not milking that golden goose into the ground.

The season is young, I highly doubt we've seen the last of Gravity Falls TV.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
If nothing else, I got to hear Neal deGrasse Tyson say "why dudes have nipples" and "laughing at fart sounds."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This wasn't a Gravity Falls episode though. This was just, let's say gently caress it and tell weird stories that couldn't service 20 minutes. Which is fine. I'd assume the same people who don't like this episode, also (if they watch the show) dislike the Rixty Minutes episode of Rick and Morty, which, I would call the best episode of that whole show. It's the creators loving around and going with whatever insane concept their weird rear end brains can expend. I love that. I might understand why people don't, but I think it's a drat shame, yo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Waddles bit could have been a Gravity Falls episode, but for the most part, I agree.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I didn't hate it, I just think it was lackluster in comparison to the rest of the season. Still had some great gags though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

CelticPredator posted:

This wasn't a Gravity Falls episode though. This was just, let's say gently caress it and tell weird stories that couldn't service 20 minutes. Which is fine. I'd assume the same people who don't like this episode, also (if they watch the show) dislike the Rixty Minutes episode of Rick and Morty, which, I would call the best episode of that whole show. It's the creators loving around and going with whatever insane concept their weird rear end brains can expend. I love that. I might understand why people don't, but I think it's a drat shame, yo.

Eh, I don't think Rixty Minutes is a great point of comparison, since the alternate-reality clips served to advance the overall subplot of Jerry and Beth's relationship. This episode was just goofy non-canon adventures, and while that's by no means bad (Personally I love these sorts of episodes), it's pretty clearly more reminiscent of the early Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror episodes, right down to the quasi-canonical metaplot before something goes weird and the three-story structure.

I will say though, if they end up copying any other episode idea from the Simpsons, they do an homage to 22 Short Films About Springfield, because an entire episode just focused on the daily lives of the townsfolk would just be the best.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I really wanted to change my avatar to Waddles pigging out on a potato, but I already changed mine fairly recently and want to get more mileage out of it; so here you go to whoever wants it.

Yummy, yummy, for my fat little pig tummy!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

CelticPredator posted:

I think that's the problem though. You're basically giving yourself a free pass to do whatever you like, and you choose a fairly stereotypical witch that steals Stan's hands because she wants a date. It's not that that's an awful idea, nor was it executed poorly, just not very weird/insane either. Like I said above, that's not something that would immediately come to mind if given mostly free reign to do something with the characters.

I liked Rixty Minutes too, but there some segments that just fell flat. Mostly the ones where it was obvious they were improving and not really going anywhere with it, as if to blatantly push the fact.

The concept of weird noncanon stories is good, but they can still end up being lackluster.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I loved Rixty minutes, and I usually love when tv shows do short story plot-lines where you get to see a bunch of vignettes all in a row. Heck, 'bottomless pit' is one of my favorite episodes of last season. But this one just didn't do it for me. The stories all felt incomplete and haphazardly thrown together, so even though there were lots of things I liked (Matt Chapman's witch voice, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Candy with a laser gun, meta-jokes about animation) I couldn't enjoy it as a whole.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 9, 2014

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

snucks posted:

I love that modern children's entertainment contains references to Tales From the Crypt, Manos, and Harryhausen in a single episode. :allears:
Wait, where was the reference to Tales From the Crypt?

Edit: Oh the entire format. I. Am. Dumb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I loved Rixty minutes, and I usually love when tv shows do short story plot-lines where you get to see a bunch of vignettes all in a vow. Heck, 'bottomless pit' is one of my favorite episodes of last season. But this one just didn't do it for me. The stories all felt incomplete and haphazardly thrown together, so even though there lots of things I liked (Matt Chapman's witch voice, Neil deGrasse Tyson, candy with a laser gun, meta-jokes about animation) I couldn't enjoy it as a whole.
This is more or less my takeaway about from the episode.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
How is this not a Gravity Falls episode? The title of it is Gravity Falls.

This episode was fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I guess it also felt odd because they'd just done a lot of short films (between-season) which were all really good and felt tighter.

However, "Nooo, where's the heaaart?!" is one of my favorite lines from the show.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Sithsaber posted:

This episode was fun.

Sometimes I feel like I'm way too easily pleased cause I completely agree. If it's a show I like I'm super-forgiving and I can't judge it critically but I guffawed, chuckled, and smiled to myself a lot this episode so I don't see the issues other people do.

I need to watch it again actually. I remember hearing the Hand-witch saying Crippling Loneliness and Mabel saying Crippling Loneliness when Waddles rejects her. If it's said again during Clay Day then I get to put on my tinfoil hat.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I liked the previous clip show (the one with a bottomless pit) better, I think. It actually helped that the connecting story was canon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Bottomless Pit also had really awesome stories like Dipper's voice changing and everyone freaking out and Stan getting magical teeth that forced him to tell the truth and get uncomfortably existential with the kids.

Though to be fair, I remember the thread being rather lukewarm about Bottomless Pit when it aired too. Probably because it was still really soon after the hiatus?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
It almost seemed like Disney was pushing for a Halloween episode and so the writers just threw together a few discarded plots and made an anthology episode. Like the Golf War episode, it had some good moments and great lines but didn't hang together like Sock Opera or Soos and the Real Girl.

For the record, I loved Bottomless Pit. I felt it was more inspired.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
You guys would be much more forgiving of this filler episode if a new episode came out every week.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
One thing I feel was weak in this episode compared to Bottomless Pit was the narration setting. I was thinking today that it would have been better if, for example, everyone was telling spooky stories around a campfire a la the intro.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sithsaber posted:

You guys would be much more forgiving of this filler episode if a new episode came out every week.

Nah, I would be just as "meh" about it if new episodes came out more often. I've been "meh" about plenty of the recent Adventure Time episodes, and those came out at a rapid fire pace.

But just because I don't like every single episode doesn't mean I think the show as a whole is bad or anything (I mean this about both Gravity Falls and Adventure Time).

TheFattestPat posted:

One thing I feel was weak in this episode compared to Bottomless Pit was the narration setting. I was thinking today that it would have been better if, for example, everyone was telling spooky stories around a campfire a la the intro.

This almost certainly WILL be an episode at some point and I'm already looking forward to it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Best treehouse of horror episode in years.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I liked the last episode and my opinion is that it was good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Best treehouse of horror episode in years.

As long as GF continues being a better Simpsons than the Simpsons I'm happy

This almost certainly WILL be an episode at some point and I'm already looking forward to it.

Seems like one of those things that are in the intro that don't get used ala robot Morty in R&M. Or the Gravity falling upwards

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nah, I would be just as "meh" about it if new episodes came out more often. I've been "meh" about plenty of the recent Adventure Time episodes, and those came out at a rapid fire pace.

But just because I don't like every single episode doesn't mean I think the show as a whole is bad or anything (I mean this about both Gravity Falls and Adventure Time).

I'd like it if it was told by the secondary characters (Candy, Grenda, Pacifica, Wendy) just to keep things interesting. It doesn't even have to be about them.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdbCNXMRHmo

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Also, Paul Robertson posted the raw pixel art he did for Soos and the Real Girl.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

at least dipper and mabel aren't making out in this, like in all the other poo poo made by this guy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Images seem broken to me.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

"What if Gravity Falls was an anime?"

The art would be stale and drawn by a pedophile?

Seems about right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Anybody save these before tumblr broke?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's well done. The art style doesn't really complement the show and this guy's incest stuff sends shivers down my spine (especially considering the Pines have one of the best sibling relationship I've seen in a piece of media), but from an animation standpoint it seems pretty good to me.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 9, 2014

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I stumbled across this article, and for some reason this part stuck out to me as somewhat irritating.

quote:

There’s some speculation that the Pines family is Jewish. There are certain aspects which support this hypothesis, which make Stan’s greed and obsession with money unpleasantly stereotypical.

So I suppose the writer didn't know that Alex Hirsch is Jewish, and that Stan is heavily based on his own grandfather? I don't think antisemitism is a driving factor of the show.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The line that got to me was

quote:

One of Mabel’s best friends is Japanese and has a rather stereotypical accent.

Oh, bad identitarian critique. Why you always ackin so cray-cray.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Asgerd posted:

I stumbled across this article, and for some reason this part stuck out to me as somewhat irritating.

So I suppose the writer didn't know that Alex Hirsch is Jewish, and that Stan is heavily based on his own grandfather? I don't think antisemitism is a driving factor of the show.

He must be a self hating Jew

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wittgen posted:

That's definitely wrong because Candy's last name, Chiu, is Chinese and her voice actress is Korean. :spergin:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wittgen posted:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

How can you do such little research to not know that Candy is voiced by Niki Yang, who is Korean. She's not faking a stereotypical accent! And as far as Candy being "japanese", hasn't there been instances of Candy straight up talking in Korean when mad?

edit: Has it ever been confirmed or not if Candy's outfit is referencing BMO or if the colors are just a coincidence? I always figured that was Alex Hirsch paying homage to the voice actor

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 11, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Candy speaks Korean when she talks about the sock puppet man.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Macaluso posted:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

How can you do such little research

Haha. This is the brand of ideological "critique" that requires absolutely no evidence to condemn something as racist/sexist/ablest/homophobic/whatever. Remember how much furor there was about Tangled and Frozen being just so sexist and racist. I mean, the hubbub happened way before anyone saw the movies, but who has to see those movies to see that they are offensive?

There's plenty of good identitarian critique, but especially with pop culture , there's a lot of nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

Th-that is an appropriation of African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) and also ableist besides :qq:

• Locked thread