Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

cynic posted:

My sons fourth birthday is coming up, and he's getting a Wii U so he can have his 'own' gaming platform instead clamouring to play my games ("DADDY IS THAT MAN DEAD? DADDY WHY IS HE TRYING TO BITE YOU? CAN I HAVE A GO? WHICH BUTTON SHOOTS?"). I've already managed to find some good deals and have sourced Party U, Nintendoland and Mariocart 8, and I'm off for a trawl of the secondhand shelves shortly.

Looking for any suggestions on games that would be good to pick up and don't have overly complex control schemes or game mechanics, or can be played with dad-assist co-op (I was looking at Kirbys Epic Yarn etc if I could pick up some cheap Wii games secondhand for instance).

Get LEGO city undercover, kids love that stuff, plus it has 80's pop culture reference out of the wazoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wii Party U is kinda junk though as a warning.

I found the Wii Party U pack with an official controller cheaper than actually buying a second controller outright off Amazon, I wasn't planning on buying it.

Pixeltendo posted:

Get LEGO city undercover, kids love that stuff, plus it has 80's pop culture reference out of the wazoo.

We tried playing the Marvel LEGO game, and it was pretty frustrating for him getting the positioning right for things, remembering the buttons requires to do various tasks and so forth, not to mention 3 dimensional flying or web flinging stuff - I mean he loved running round as the hulk 'boinking' things but actually making progress was pretty hard even in 2 player. The good bit about the Wii U as far as I'm concerned is there is lots of innovative interface stuff available that makes far more sense - he already plays lots of games on tablet, and using the steering wheel on my 360. Actual traditional controllers are not that intuitive for him right now - although fighting games where button mashing works are also accepatable.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

cynic posted:

I found the Wii Party U pack with an official controller cheaper than actually buying a second controller outright off Amazon, I wasn't planning on buying it.

We tried playing the Marvel LEGO game, and it was pretty frustrating for him getting the positioning right for things, remembering the buttons requires to do various tasks and so forth, not to mention 3 dimensional flying or web flinging stuff - I mean he loved running round as the hulk 'boinking' things but actually making progress was pretty hard even in 2 player. The good bit about the Wii U as far as I'm concerned is there is lots of innovative interface stuff available that makes far more sense - he already plays lots of games on tablet, and using the steering wheel on my 360. Actual traditional controllers are not that intuitive for him right now - although fighting games where button mashing works are also accepatable.

Maybe it's my 30 years of gaming blurring this but Lego UC was about as bare bones controller wise as I could imagine a game being that wasn't Mario. Jump, punch, switch costumes, and a million pop ups reminding you how to do things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

Besides lack of battle mode, Too Many Coins is my only complaint about MK8. It's really common for item boxes to give you coins 3-4 times in a row when you're in first place, even if you already have 10 coins. They should just add one line of code: If player has 10 coins, do not give coin item.

The coins are actually really useful if you hold on to them. When you inevitably get hit by something and lose three coins, the item will give you two back immediately, a small speed boost from obtaining them, and if you're lucky one if the coins you dropped will have landed in front of you and you'll be back at full speed in no time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

Maybe it's my 30 years of gaming blurring this but Lego UC was about as bare bones controller wise as I could imagine a game being that wasn't Mario. Jump, punch, switch costumes, and a million pop ups reminding you how to do things.

It could get a bit complex for a wee kid with driving and costume-switching in the mix though, not to mention free-running and platforming.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah, 4 years old is pre-reading, pre-patience to mash the 'A' button 10 times in a specific place facing a specific direction even if there is an animated popup telling you what to do - it's all about instant gratification and bright colours. Mario Cart will do the job, as should simple party games, dancing games, and things involving hilarious punching (because I'm totally getting Smash Bros. for Christmas). Platformers, I'm not sure about - they require a bit more timing and coordination than is there right now, which is why I was looking at ones with no death and co-op so I can carry his tiny proto-gamer rear end through any hard bits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cynic posted:

Platformers, I'm not sure about - they require a bit more timing and coordination than is there right now, which is why I was looking at ones with no death and co-op so I can carry his tiny proto-gamer rear end through any hard bits.

That's pretty much Rayman Legends to a tee.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Katana Gomai posted:

Oh so we're back to 2+ week gaps between US and EU releases? (Smash releases on December 5th in Europe, Toad comes out in January). Get hosed, Nintendo.

It comes out December 6th in Japan. :v:

Oh wait I can finally add the release date of Smash to the OP!!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

2 weeks isn't bad in the grand scheme of things, but it is a little frustrating since there's probably not much reasoning behind it. Maybe NOE didn't want to compete with Pokemon, while NOA don't care - they are different platforms, after all.

The wait for Captain Toad is weird though, it seems a perfect game to release before Christmas.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

irlZaphod posted:

2 weeks isn't bad in the grand scheme of things, but it is a little frustrating since there's probably not much reasoning behind it. Maybe NOE didn't want to compete with Pokemon, while NOA don't care - they are different platforms, after all.

The wait for Captain Toad is weird though, it seems a perfect game to release before Christmas.

Since both the PAL and JP versions of Smash are 2 weeks behind the US release (Dec 5th and 6th, respectively), I think the US release was rushed in order to make Thanksgiving (and Black Friday!) instead of the other way around. NOE wouldn't have had to compete with Pokémon regardless, as it comes out a week later (November 28th) here, too. :haw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Going back after playing Mario Kart 8 a lot, I actually like the constant flow of coins in Super Mario Kart more. You stop getting a bonus after 10 coins like now but you can carry way more than that but lose more at a time from making mistakes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Going back after playing Mario Kart 8 a lot, I actually like the constant flow of coins in Super Mario Kart more. You stop getting a bonus after 10 coins like now but you can carry way more than that but lose more at a time from making mistakes.

The only thing I hate in Mario Kart 8 is that coins pop up in the item box. The RNG will judiciously gently caress you over hard with them at every possible opportunity.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Take out all the items from MK8 except for the 8.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The Wii U release date is justice for Japan getting 3DS two weeks early. :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

Take out all the items from MK8 except for the 8.

I'd pay $5 for this to be an option in online multiplayer :black101:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jivjov posted:

The one feature from Sonic Racing Transformed that I really wish was in Mario Kart 8 is that in Sonic all the tracks change from lap to lap. Different paths open up, shortcuts are revealed, or you just take a slightly different route each time.

I could see some of the shortcuts changing. But I thought, at the very least, the MK8 course hazards change up for each lap? There's a volcano where paths fall into the lava, or a horde of cows cross the track, etc.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Renoistic posted:

So I started playing the first Zelda for the first time and is there some way to speed up the rupie grind? I killed the bow dungeon boss with bombs because I couldn't afford arrows and the enemies never seem to drop any. And is there some way of getting more uses out of the candle? Looking for hidden passages by burning one bush at a time is also very annoying.

And is the money game in any way worth the trouble? "10 rupies to play! Well screw you have -40!".

One way the drop system works is that if you kill 10 enemies without getting hit, the 10th will drop 5 rupees if it can drop items. It'll drop a bomb instead of you use a bomb for the 10th kill.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Renoistic posted:

So I started playing the first Zelda for the first time and is there some way to speed up the rupie grind? I killed the bow dungeon boss with bombs because I couldn't afford arrows and the enemies never seem to drop any. And is there some way of getting more uses out of the candle? Looking for hidden passages by burning one bush at a time is also very annoying.

And is the money game in any way worth the trouble? "10 rupies to play! Well screw you have -40!".

I can't believe it but I just remembered a rupee-grinding technique from when I was a little kid. You can get tons of rupees easily in the graveyard. Keep an eye on the vulnerable ghost, then summon as many ghosts as you can. Really fill the screen with them. Then, take out the vulnerable ghost. This kills ALL ghosts on screen, and lots of them drop blue rupees.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Been using this for Hyrule Warriors but if you want a complete map with the locations of everything here you go (Zelda 1 I mean)

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028551.html

quote:

Compatible with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller.

Hell yeah. Now I wonder if it will work in Wii mode.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone here regularly use Wii fit

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Wow, that's surprising and cool! I guess that means the adapter will be able to "spoof" a Classic or Pro signal for games not explicitly programmed for it.

nanostalic
Oct 7, 2014

Pegged Lamb posted:

Used it once, the board broke on me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pegged Lamb posted:

I've been using it since it was on the smash sale two weeks ago, so I'm pretty much an expert ask me anything.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It says it'll work on a normal Wii, so I suppose it should be able to work on the Wii mode of a Wii U.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Pegged Lamb posted:

Oh yes. It helped me fully utilize evaporative cooling this summer since I had no air conditioning.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wow, that's surprising and cool! I guess that means the adapter will be able to "spoof" a Classic or Pro signal for games not explicitly programmed for it.
My only question from that point is how it handles the missing buttons.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Now the question is.

How far in advance has Nintendo planned proper use of the c-stick for Pikmin 3 :cool:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Playing Hyrule Warriors a lot lately, really enjoying it. Was watching some video about the game (might have been linked in the HW thread) and someone in the video described the gameplay as a hack n slash game set during an RTS, so there's a military strategy playing out and you have to respond to it. I'd like to see a game where players with Wiimotes and controllers are fighting it out against armies on the ground level while the player with the Gamepad plays it RTS style, commanding the armies. You could do it online against other teams. They could do that sort of thing with FPS games too.

Before Hyrule Warriors came out I was playing a lot of Unepic. Wanted to gush about the interface a little bit. Between the touchscreen and combinations of the shoulder buttons and the face buttons, you've got 30 quick load out weapons/spells/items/familiars at any given time, laid out as you see fit.

I've got it set up so hold L and I've got various weapons, hold R for magic spells and both for healing/teleportation options. Lighter/candle positioned for easiest access on the touchscreen. It's perversely satisfying.

cenotaph posted:

Also, people played battle mode? I haven't touched it since the original.

I really liked the bomb mode in Double Dash and occasionally played the coin mode in DD and Wii, but I really couldn't care less about battle mode being in MK8.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I'm so glad I kept my wavebird. If I can turn on the Wii u, grab my wavebird, boot into Wii mode with it and play something like Xenoblade, I'd be really happy.

It's weird but I get hung up when I have to go grab the Wii remote and a classic controller. Also my son tends to grab the remote constantly.

Edit: I'd imagine it would work in Wii mode, I mean the original gc controllers did on the original wiis with gc ports.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd wait until the thing's actually out and confirmed to work on Wii/in Wii mode before you get too excited, but I do hope it's true.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Pixeltendo posted:

Now the question is.

How far in advance has Nintendo planned proper use of the c-stick for Pikmin 3 :cool:
If they had ever wanted to do that, they could have done it ages ago.

Speaking of games that use two sticks, one particular game I'm pretty excited for is RIVE. I've been a pretty big fan of some of Two Tribes' recent games, and this mixes two genres that I'm really fond of. I've also added the game to the upcoming list, with a tentative release date of Q1 2015.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 8, 2014

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Pixeltendo posted:

Now the question is.

This is the most important question. I run into that problem a lot in my [SHAMELESS PLUG]Pikmin 3 LP[/SHAMELESS PLUG]. I think they make the Piks run fast enough to where it is not a problem, but swiping with the C-Stick would be a load off my mind.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How is this by the way? I've seen it in numerous places and it seems okay.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm away from my Wii U at the moment, but a friend told me that I can use the Gamepad as a sensor bar when in Wii mode. Is that true? I'm using the gamepad almost exclusively as a way to play games with headphones on, but the sensor bar thing sound pretty drat useful.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm away from my Wii U at the moment, but a friend told me that I can use the Gamepad as a sensor bar when in Wii mode.

That is correct.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't "get" xenoblade. I'm 10 hours in, and combat doesn't appear to be evolving past using your abilities the second they come off cool down and hitting dudes from specific directions. When I read about it, people talk about the game have a focus on counterattacks and positioning. Does it get better?

There's also WAY too many barks.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pomp posted:

I don't "get" xenoblade. I'm 10 hours in, and combat doesn't appear to be evolving past using your abilities the second they come off cool down and hitting dudes from specific directions. When I read about out, people talk about the game have a focus on counterattacks and positioning. Does it get better?

Wait till you get some more characters, then try using them rather than Shulk. Melia's a powerhouse in the hands of a player, but her AI's paste-eating levels of dumb.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

FPzero posted:

How is this by the way? I've seen it in numerous places and it seems okay.

Good! It's a fun RPG dungeon crawler Metroidvania-type thing. Good progression - unlock new areas, get you rear end handed to you until you find some better weapons and techniques, then start tearing poo poo up. Graphics are simple, but the lighting effects are really nice. It's not as funny as it thinks it is all the time, but the voice acting is okay. Some clever ideas too - there's one boss that will control your mind and make you pour out your potions and use your own magic spells against yourself. And like I mentioned above, the interface on Wii U is really well done. It's fairly cheap too, I'd recommend it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait till you get some more characters, then try using them rather than Shulk. Melia's a powerhouse in the hands of a player, but her AI's paste-eating levels of dumb.

This a million loving times. Sharla is just loving dumb too.

Oh hey Shulk is dying, welp, time to shoot some guns at the enemy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pomp posted:

I don't "get" xenoblade. I'm 10 hours in, and combat doesn't appear to be evolving past using your abilities the second they come off cool down and hitting dudes from specific directions. When I read about out, people talk about the game have a focus on counterattacks and positioning. Does it get better?

You're going to need those barks to have a handle on what the gently caress is going on later in the game.

• Locked thread