Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Episode 2 is titled "Korra Alone." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To keep it in line with the thread title: ZuKo(rra) Alone

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Fifty Three posted:

Episode 2 is titled "Korra Alone." :allears:

Now that makes me excited. Honestly if they just retraced that episode with Korra instead of Zuko, I'd still be incredibly happy.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Oh awesome, I thought that was just Tumblr speculation! So what's the likelihood Korra will go through Wan's final battlefield like Zuko did? Might be a nice connection to both the original episode and Wan.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Rosalind posted:

Now that makes me excited. Honestly if they just retraced that episode with Korra instead of Zuko, I'd still be incredibly happy.

Zuke alone was the first episode of avatar I watched. got me hooked immediately.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Let's hope it's as good as Zuko Alone.

Ravane posted:

Oh look, the new Korra's out. Wow it's pretty good. Let's check out what the thread has to say...

:smithicide:

I have no excuse; I'm a horrible person.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Sato posted:

Oh awesome, I thought that was just Tumblr speculation! So what's the likelihood Korra will go through Wan's final battlefield like Zuko did? Might be a nice connection to both the original episode and Wan.

I think this is the swamp episode

Also, she's in that torn up Earth uniform and has the bruised eye when she says "I cant believe it... Toph?" in the trailer

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

He stole all of the stock from their warehouse. It was a pretty major plot point.

Yeah, but he stole that stuff so he could buy the company. I prefer to see it as doing business in non-linear time.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Harold Cooplowski posted:

I think this is the swamp episode

Also, she's in that torn up Earth uniform and has the bruised eye when she says "I cant believe it... Toph?" in the trailer

There's footage of Korra wandering around the world in the trailer so it could be a possibility. The swamp could just be the final destination of a lot of wandering. Also, who's to say that she'll meet Toph in this episode, or even only visit the swamp once?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Dude, that episode was the loving best in all of AtLA. If this is half as good I'll be more than satisfied.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rosalind posted:

He thinks he will make a better version I guess. I don't know. Everyone needs a hobby I suppose

My friends and I use the Marvel Universe RPG system for our Avatar game. All the powers and abilities are already there, it's just not a dice rolling game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I think the Avatar universe lends itself better to dice rolls, though if you want to use the DND system (depends if it's 3, 3.5 or 4), then you need to dedicate time to writing rules and tables for all four elements.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sorry it's the mobile link, but here is a preview for this week's episode.

http://m.nick.com/videos/video.rbml?id=korra-215-clip-128376218

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenriverninja posted:

Of all the ways for Korra to react to that, "You again." is probably the most terrifying.

She's teetering on the brink of Azula, you guys. :(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is book 3 any good? I've not watched anything since book 2 and hadn't realized book 3 had even finished yet.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hemale in pain posted:

Is book 3 any good? I've not watched anything since book 2 and hadn't realized book 3 had even finished yet.

Book 2 gets flak as the worst season but it's still watchable. I'd say watch episodes 1-2, 7-8, and the finale.

Book three owns and watch all of it.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I blitzed through it a few days ago, and it's great.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yay, I'll come bitch about book 4 with everyone later then after binging book 3.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

hemale in pain posted:

Book 3 is by far the best Korra season and rivals the original series in a lot of episodes. If you ever enjoyed any bit of Korra watch it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

I'd say imagine what you would do, if Book 2 had never aired. It may or may not be better than Book 1, but it's still Korra, for better and for worse.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Zuke alone was the first episode of avatar I watched. got me hooked immediately.

Same. I love taking a single episode every once in a while to really flesh out a character or a dynamic between two characters. It's why I loved season 3 of AtLA so much -- a good chunk of it was stories that didn't progress the story along because they were in a waiting period, but developed the characters a lot. The Painted Lady, Sokka's master, the Zuko field trips, all good stuff.

I'm eagerly anticipating a gritty Korra-puts-her-head-down-and-gets-on-with-it ep this week. :neckbeard:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

hiddenriverninja posted:

Book 2 gets flak as the worst season but it's still watchable. I'd say watch episodes 1-2, 7-8, and the finale. Book three owns and watch all of it.
Just watch the whole thing, none of this nonsense.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jackard posted:

Just watch the whole thing, none of this nonsense.

That's what Aatrek kept saying about Star Trek: Voyager. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The Korra video game is up on Steam now. No price listed though, weird.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not really? Happens all the time.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

It's been up for about a week. I think they said that it's going to be 30ish no? I just wish they'd let me preorder already.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Just watch all the episodes. No point in missing out on anything because it's better to watch season 2 first before moving onto season 3 and enjoying better quality.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Korra channeling The Last Boy Scout here.

Let's just hope she can have a speedy recovery and not go full Azula.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 9, 2014

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Rosalind posted:

It's been up for about a week. I think they said that it's going to be 30ish no? I just wish they'd let me preorder already.

Pretty sure it was $20

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone ever liked Zuko Alone. The only reason that isn't the worst episode of the series is because Great Divide and the Painted Lady exist.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone ever liked Zuko Alone. The only reason that isn't the worst episode of the series is because Great Divide and the Painted Lady exist.

Of all the bad posts in the thread, this is the worst.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think I enjoyed The Puppetmaster more than Zuko Alone. Actually, aside from it being the episode about Zuko, I can't really remember much about it that really moved me. I liked The Drill and the finale of Season 2 a lot more, I think.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's the Great Divide? You guys have mentioned it several times. Was it a place from the Original Avatar? Was that where Aang fought the giant bugs?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Drifter posted:

What's the Great Divide? You guys have mentioned it several times. Was it a place from the Original Avatar? Was that where Aang fought the giant bugs?

Yup. It's pretty widely considered one of the absolute worst filler/non-essential episodes from the first series.

Hell, even the guy Kyoshi killed in Avatar Day at least got a passing mention in the finale. :v:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Plus Avatar Day had Kyoshi. :black101:

The Great Divide had that interesting stylized animation sequence and I never really viewed it as bad as most others do. It just wasn't really a memorable episode.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Even the Great Divide had a couple moments, like "Experts tell us that this canyon was most likely carved by earth spirits who were angry at not receiving proper sacrifices", and the whole "do a traditional kids' show episode with a moral only badly subvert it" seen a few times in the early series. But still, those were just moments.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Drifter posted:

The Great Divide was an episode from season 1 of ATLA, and also the name of the location of that episode. It's the only episode in the entire series that does not include anything that develops the main plot, and its writing is uncharacteristically trite. They make a joke about it during an extended recap near the end of season 3.

It's not that bad, and in fact from an animation standpoint it's pretty interesting, but it's the worst episode, and the problems with it are extreme versions of the weaknesses of the first season altogether.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Drifter posted:

The worst episode of AtLA by far. If you look at the ratings guide to AtLA there's actually a Great Divide in the graph. :v:

Also it's from the "today's lesson" phase where it's still a kids show and the lesson is that lying to avoid conflict is totally a-ok. They made a joke about skipping it in the parody episode because literally everyone hated it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Parody episode? Is that in the normal seasons of A:TLA? I would've sworn I'd seen all of the episodes, but I don't remember a parody one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Parody episode? Is that in the normal seasons of A:TLA? I would've sworn I'd seen all of the episodes, but I don't remember a parody one.

The Ember Island Players, in season 3. They go to see Avatar Aang: the musical, basically.

Also, maybe it's time you rewatched the series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

The Ember Island Players, in season 3. They go to see Avatar Aang: the musical, basically.

Also, maybe it's time you rewatched the series...

Oh, I thought the musical play one was pretty funny. I remember that, I just didn't register it specifically as being a parody episode. Just a riff on the legendary status and the liberties taken with storytelling and word of mouth. Maybe I should rewatch the series anyway though, it's been a few years.

It's funny how much better TLA is compared to Legend of Korra (based on what I remember and enjoyed). I did stop with season 2 of Korra, however. You guys seem to like Season 3, though, so I might just check it out. I thought this new season seems at least fun. I liked the first episode.

The quality of character writing and general plotting between LoK and TLA is rather large overall, in my opinion, sadly. The ideas of Korra were really interesting.

I think it'd be great if Season 4 stays strong.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread