Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I was even referring to the slopes as gradients!

But seriously it seams like they did little to no homework at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Preoptopus posted:

I was even referring to the slopes as gradients!

But seriously it seams like they did little to no homework at all.

I don't think anyone could have predicted that Argentinians would be bloodthirsty animals when faced with a number plate on a porsche.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

thelightguy posted:

I don't think anyone could have predicted that Argentinians would be bloodthirsty animals when faced with a number plate on a porsche.

Referring to the fact they seemingly had no cooperation from the government. In this day and age you would think that officials would be smarter than to create an international incident. What kind of poo poo is that? We cannot guarantee your safety and we are leaving you to fend for yourselves.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This was the takeaway quote for me

Jeremy Clarkson posted:

Back at home, newspapers were saying I had caused the problem by arriving in this political tinderbox in a Porsche bearing the numberplate H982FKL, which if you turned the H into a 1 and transposed the K and the L, could have been seen as a reference to the 1982 Falklands War.

This, however, was untrue. The car had indeed arrived in Argentina with those plates, but two days into our journey, when we were in Chile, a Twitter user pointed out the problem so we removed them.

When we arrived in Tierra del Fuego the car had no plate at all on the front and a meaningless jumble of letters and numbers on the back. And no, it wasn W3WON. Which it would have been if Id been trying to ruffle feathers.

If this is true and the plates were removed from the car in Chile, then I agree that Argentina deserves to be left to the descendants of war criminals.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A top gear special could have given them some advertisement for tourism, too. Isn't their economy in the shitter right now? Seems like they are pulling a Greece here...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CornHolio posted:

Oooh come on filming on the Falklands and talking about how great it is to be back on the queens soil, we don't have enough wars right now.

I think that they really should do this.

After all, the Argentian govt (literally) cast the first stone.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A top gear special could have given them some advertisement for tourism, too. Isn't their economy in the shitter right now? Seems like they are pulling a Greece here...

They certainly made Vietnam and Burma look beautiful.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Ika posted:

They certainly made Vietnam and Burma look beautiful.

Vietnam looked stunning and vibrant in the special. The people all seemed hard-working and friendly as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bloody foreigners.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As I said before, though... why on earth would Argentina even be on their list of possible special filming locations unless they wanted to do something provocative and headline-making? Why else go to the actual port city that was most closely involved with the war? ("World's most southerly ski resort" my rear end; that'll just be something they came up with as a figleaf once the decision to go there was made.)

It might have been a trap that was laid for them, but TG clearly wanted something to happen.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Because it's loving gorgeous and incredibly interesting and it's a great place to do an adventure roadtrip and that's the southernmost city in the world and the capital of the province?

No, I'm sure they did it because they wanted to make some falkland jokes.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Data Graham posted:

As I said before, though... why on earth would Argentina even be on their list of possible special filming locations unless they wanted to do something provocative and headline-making? Why else go to the actual port city that was most closely involved with the war? ("World's most southerly ski resort" my rear end; that'll just be something they came up with as a figleaf once the decision to go there was made.)

It might have been a trap that was laid for them, but TG clearly wanted something to happen.

Look at a loving map.

They were trying to drive to the bottom of the world.

If you've got to draw big red Xs across parts of the world england pissed off, and say they're not allowed to go there, the world starts looking pretty loving small.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Powershift posted:

Look at a loving map.

If you've got to draw big red Xs across parts of the world england pissed off, and say they're not allowed to go there, the world starts looking pretty loving small.

And that's without adding the places Top Gear themselves pissed off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powershift posted:

Look at a loving map.

Fair enough. As someone who's been to Point Barrow and driven part of the Dempster, I can relate. (Also didn't realize that was actually the southernmost connected road in the world.)

Just saying it wouldn't be out of character, knowing their track record.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You know, TG is the most watched TV show in the world. That means that in most parts of the world darn near everyone that watches TV regularly probably already knows their schtick. OK, they will make some jokes about our country and its people - that is a given. The question is, how do you act while the show is in your neck of the woods? Do you act like an ignorant asswipe, as in the Alabama episode? Or do you act as gracious as possible? Because however you act, you are an ambassador for your country on the world's most watched TV show.

I mean, it IS a ski town, right? So presumably some non-zero amount of their income in that town comes from tourism.... and they just antagonized a sizable chunk of the world's wealthy skiing population.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll say that talking about past wars definitely isn't out of character for the guys but again, show me a corner of the world that Britain hasn't had its paws in. Add to that the fact that Jeremy and James are huge on war history and there you go.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Top Gear boys should go to Hong Kong right now.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

License plate: J-41989

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

They're rioting in hong kong, i think that's evidence that they've already been.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

And Clarkson encounters the downside of the persona he says he has created and isn't really like, and it's that if you act like a blustering jingoist, people will believe that you were being a blustering jingoist even if you aren't.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
They drove through a Middle East war zone and made Bible jokes and the people weren't 1% as lovely about it as Argentina or Alabama.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The episode where they trolled the American South was hilarious. Most of the rest of the country views that area with the same disdain and loathing, so when Top Gear made fun of them for being a bunch of bigoted racist homophobes I thought it was loving hilarious. If you can't take a joke or stand being poked fun at then you probably need to seriously consider removing your head from your rear end.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

The episode where they trolled the American South was hilarious. Most of the rest of the country views that area with the same disdain and loathing, so when Top Gear made fun of them for being a bunch of bigoted racist homophobes I thought it was loving hilarious. If you can't take a joke or stand being poked fun at then you probably need to seriously consider removing your head from your rear end.

Which episode was this? I need to see it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

I cringe at that whole bit still, staged or not, just because of how scary it is having a state where saying NASCAR sucks will result in angry redneck pursuits.

^ It was the USA special.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Series 9, Ep 3

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I watched the new James May series and couldn't help but notice the Design For Dreaming clips in episode 2. Have to wonder if he's aware of why some people know of that film...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Zeether posted:

I watched the new James May series and couldn't help but notice the Design For Dreaming clips in episode 2. Have to wonder if he's aware of why some people know of that film...

Just curious, what series is it? Is it his 'Cars of the People' or something else new? I'm always on the lookout for what he's up to next.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Just curious, what series is it? Is it his 'Cars of the People' or something else new? I'm always on the lookout for what he's up to next.
Cars Of The People. It's pretty good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
http://jalopnik.com/watch-video-of-the-terrifying-attack-on-top-gear-in-arg-1642163724

quote:

UPDATE: Courtesy of readers Manuel A. and Gilles Dhondt is a translation of what's being said in the video. From here, it's easy to see that at least one of the protestors was riled up based on an inaccurate report of what was actually on the plate:

"We're waiting for the cars... emmmm. They didn't give them gas in Ushuaia... We're waiting to swear at them, dude. *hehehe*. They had a license plate that read something like 'Argentina 1982, gently caress you', something like that. [inaudible] Hello, how are you? [inaudible]. No, no, they blocked access on the road. *hehehe* (0:55) They're arriving, they're arriving, hold on. *sirens* Gay! Gay! Gay! Gay! (puto x4), 'Forro!' (=something like 'horrible person' in Argentinean slang. Also means condom) Son of a bitch! Gay! Gay! Gay! Yooohaaa ahahahaaaa"
"H982 FKL" = "Argentina 1982, gently caress you" obviously.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

"What are you guys doing?"
"We're waiting to swear at them, dude! That'll really show them!"

Aztech
May 30, 2009

CornHolio posted:

"What are you guys doing?"
"We're waiting to swear at them, dude! That'll really show them!"

You just cannot comprehend the genius of their plan. They are going to drive the British off the Falklands by swearing at some presenters of a car show. Its fool proof.

Aztech fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 7, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hey guys! We're homophobes! Hahaha, yeah, take that!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I hope it's lost something in translation, else those are some of the most pathetic threats ever:

Gay! Gay! Gay! Gay! Condom! Son of a bitch! Gay! Gay! Gay! Yooohaaa ahahahaaaa"

With that fighting spirit, no wonder these 'Falkands Veterns' lost to the Royal Marines.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What an awesome Top Gear USA episode. Huracan, 911, and a Golf on the Nurburgring? Yes please.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Residency Evil posted:

What an awesome Top Gear USA episode. Huracan, 911, and a Golf on the Nurburgring? Yes please.

That was a pretty cool Golf though.

The Nurburgring version was nice too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This was the most Top Gear episode the US has done.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Whooo what a clusterfuck! A friend actually met them when they first arrived at the airport and they hung around and said hi to fans even though they were obviously dog tired, she's also translated some of the Argentina "Autoblog" posts which is seemingly where most of this kicked off. They'd managed to sneak in and take photos of the cars and spoil the surprise a little bit before they reached Argentina or just after they got there, no one said boo about the licence plates till several days after they'd posted the pictures.

They had also planned to stage a small car Bottom of the World Cup match, there were three fiats rented that will never know the joy of Top Gear Car Football. Also the cars are apparently in the hands of Argentinian authorities because they had to be ditched, apparently there were alternative plates they never used that read things like 'Be11end' as well as camera stuff, electronics and licences.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol the Argentinian authorities are a bunch of big dumb babies http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...na-9782685.html

quote:

Jeremy Clarksons Porsche, which inflamed Argentinian locals with its Falklands war referencing number plate, had an even more "offensive" registration set hidden in the boot. Police in Argentina discovered a pair of plates spelling 'BE11 END' inside the car, which was abandoned near the Chilean border by the Top Gear team as they fled the country in fear of being stoned to death.

An angry mob had been whipped up in the South American country, apparently because locals had considers the 'H982FKL' number plate on the vehicles exterior a reference to the 1982 conflict between Britain and Argentina. But, according to a "local official" quoted by The Mirror, the Argentines are no less riled by the second set, and perceive it as another pre-planned slight by the shows producers.

"We know bellend doesnt mean the end of the bell and is a word used instead to describe the head of the penis which is often employed as an insult in England," they were quoted as saying. "We regard it as another insult to the people of Argentina. Were sure the Top Gear team were planning another provocation with the number plate in the same way they provoked us with the one referencing the Falklands War."

A spokesperson for Top Gear has since confirmed to The Mirror that the two additional BE11 END plates, one white and one yellow, were indeed in the car, but said that they were not used in any part of the filming for the BBC2 series. "It was originally intended to be in the programme's final scene, a game of car football, but that ending has changed," they added.

The term 'bellend' is a popular one between the Top Gear presenters. In May, Clarksons co-star James May described his colleague as a monumental bellend on Twitter but not a racist following the emergence of footage that appeared to show Clarkson reciting a politically incorrect nursery rhyme. Earlier this week, Clarkson described bravely hiding under his bed as the hotel he was staying in was surrounded by a furious group of protestors.

"There is no question in my mind that we had walked into a trap," Clarkson told the Sunday Times. "Make no mistake lives were at risk. Bonnets were banged, abuse was hurled. The police arrived and immediately breathalysed us. Richard Hammond, James May and I bravely hid under the bed in a researchers room as protesters went through the hotel looking for us. The car park was filling up. This was starting to get ugly. This was not a jolly jape that went awry," he wrote. "For once, we did nothing wrong. We had planned a good ending to the show. But thanks to the governments foolishness, its now even better. They threw us out for political capital. Thousands chased crew to border. Someone could have been killed. My profound thanks to all the people who helped. And to the sensible Argentinians who have apologised." It has since been reported that Clarkson and co might have broken license plate laws in Argentina during their filming misadventure.

:lol::lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how the paragraph quoting Clarkson is literally just all the choice lines from his article mashed together in one giant context-free wad, like one of those Weird Al celebrity interviews.