Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Old Swerdlow posted:

For drifting it appears that you just hold the button down around the turn until you get your sparks. I don't notice any difference when attempting to 'snake.'

The air tricks for boosts are fairly brainless to perform too.

They also removed the ability to hold an item out such as a shell and pick another item up.

I don't think anyone is going to defend the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 either.

I am not acting like some sort of god or expert at the game. It just doesn't have as much going for it as previous titles have. Just disappointed with how standard and basic the is compared to how it looks and sounds; it just an okay game.

Hopefully the dlc packs add some interesting tracks.

Snaking was very polarising, a lot of people absolutely hated having to develop a skill to have any chance at competing in the game. So it was ditched in favour of the simpler "hold button down" mechanic of the games that followed it. Mario Kart DS was my favourite in the series but how can it even compare to Mario Kart 8? I think if you went back and replayed it you would be surprised by how quickly it dated, I mean you're comparing a nearly 10 year old handheld title to one of the most beautifully crafted works of art I've ever seen.

Battle mode in Mario kart has been bad since the original. I think Nintendo are giving up until they come up with a new dynamic for it.

You are likely a shallow monster with no reason to be alive so I don't even know why I'm talking to you.

Pegged Lamb posted:

Anyone here regularly use Wii fit

It is hard to want to keep doing it, man. I just use my balance board and yoga mat to do pushups mostly. Otherwise a 30 min workout can take 45 minutes, with all the adjusting and button pressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chronojam posted:

I could see some of the shortcuts changing. But I thought, at the very least, the MK8 course hazards change up for each lap? There's a volcano where paths fall into the lava, or a horde of cows cross the track, etc.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about...but Sonic Racing Transformed does is in a much bigger and better way than Mario Kart 8 does. MK8 has the cows wander across, SRT has a giant airship blow up an entire sky island and convert part of the course into a flying section on the third lap.

Pegged Lamb posted:

Anyone here regularly use Wii fit

I need to get back into it, but yeah, what do you need to know?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Basically if its viable for weight loss

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pegged Lamb posted:

I lost 25 pounds just being more conscious about my diet choices (i.e. I was not 'on a diet' I just drank nothing but water and powerade, and got the Salad Bar for lunch) and doing Wii Fit stuff.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm a fairly skinny guy and fell dead on the "optimal" lines. Then it forced me to choose a goal so I set it so that I would gain a few pounds which I successfully did in under two weeks.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm a fairly skinny guy and fell dead on the "optimal" lines. Then it forced me to choose a goal so I set it so that I would gain a few pounds which I successfully did in under two weeks.

This is my situation. I sometimes set a goal to lose a pound! It's not very hard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pegged Lamb posted:

It really is if you also jog with the fit meter. I got the game when all you had to buy was the fit meter and I consider it easily worth the purchase. It caused me to get in much better shape.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:worship:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm playing mario kart 7 for the first time, since I bought a refurbished 2ds at the same time I got a refurbished Wii U.

And I know people go "its a portable version of mario kart 8!"

It really is not.

If only because Mario Kart 7 hedges closer to mario kart wii in terms of the bitchiness of the items. Lightning bolts nearly every lap, blue shells once or twice per race... mario kart 7 loves those items.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Who says its a portable version of MK8? Those people are dumb, MK8 is very different and way better.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

cynic posted:

Yeah, 4 years old is pre-reading, pre-patience to mash the 'A' button 10 times in a specific place facing a specific direction even if there is an animated popup telling you what to do - it's all about instant gratification and bright colours. Mario Cart will do the job, as should simple party games, dancing games, and things involving hilarious punching (because I'm totally getting Smash Bros. for Christmas). Platformers, I'm not sure about - they require a bit more timing and coordination than is there right now, which is why I was looking at ones with no death and co-op so I can carry his tiny proto-gamer rear end through any hard bits.

Buy him a bunch of old platformers on Virtual Console and mold his young impressionable brain into a True Gamer via a strict training regimen of Ninja Gaiden et al.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pegged Lamb posted:

The best thing for weight loss is something you can stick to. For example, I'd like to do swimming more often (good whole-body workout, uses parts of it I don't use much elsewhere) but it's much more of a chore for me to get down to the community pool at appropriate lap swimming times than it is to say "I should go for a walk" put on my shoes and head out the door at any time of day or night.

Finding that thing, of course, tends to be one of the difficult parts (the other one is getting frustrated when you don't see a change that matches what you expect). Wii Fit does give a good place for routine with a variety of things to do.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So, here's a little developer interview with Platinum Games about the development of Bayonetta 2 for Wii U:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ggn-vhUxrw

What's interesting about this video is what the producer says at the end of the video. He says that there's something he can't reveal yet that we should be excited for.

Could it be that Nintendo hired Platinum Games to make a third game for them? :flashfap:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

JordanKai posted:

So, here's a little developer interview with Platinum Games about the development of Bayonetta 2 for Wii U:

What's interesting about this video is what the producer says at the end of the video. He says that there's something he can't reveal yet that we should be excited for.

Could it be that Nintendo hired Platinum Games to make a third game for them? :flashfap:

If it's anything but this I'll be distraught

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

They've updated it and apologized - it will only work with Smash Bros for Wii U, nothing else and not in Wii mode.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/gamecube-controllers-will-work-with-more-than-just-smash-bros

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
If I get the GC controller, I can just plug it directly into my old Wii though, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Exioce posted:

If I get the GC controller, I can just plug it directly into my old Wii though, right?

Yup, it's just a rebranded, new make of old GC controllers. You'd be able to use it with your GameCube too, if you had one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JordanKai posted:

We're finally getting the Platinum-made Star Fox game we always wanted! :circlefap:

ChaosArgate posted:

Yup, it's just a rebranded, new make of old GC controllers. You'd be able to use it with your GameCube too, if you had one.

I have a full set of four Gamecube controllers, and I still intend to get one of those fancy Smash-logo'ed ones :shepspends:.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

More bad news for EU friends, the Gamecube Smash Bundle does not include the controller in your region, it has to be purchased separately.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-game/super-smash-bros.-for-wii-u-gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028554.html

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Looks like Nintendo sent out a clarification saying the adapter only works in Smash Bros. :(

quoting from the Smash 3DS thread:

DrPaper posted:

Heads up the Gamecube Adapter for Wii U only works for Smash and nothing else

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/gamecube-controllers-will-work-with-more-than-just-smash-bros

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DrPaper posted:

They've updated it and apologized - it will only work with Smash Bros for Wii U, nothing else and not in Wii mode.

Goddammit that's stupid. Figured it was too good to be true.

Next they'll say it's not compatible with wavebirds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PneumonicBook posted:

The Wavebird's apparently been confirmed to work with it, according to the IGN article.

DrPaper posted:

More bad news for EU friends, the Gamecube Smash Bundle does not include the controller in your region, it has to be purchased separately.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-game/super-smash-bros.-for-wii-u-gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028554.html

EB Games in Australia's listing the same; adapter and no controller. Probably because they're flogging those for $50 apiece.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 8, 2014

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PneumonicBook posted:

Every Nintendo Twitter yesterday confirmed Wavebirds would work.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"compatible with wavebirds" means nothing to me unless they're making new ones, I do not feel like paying an exorbitant amount of money for a piece of poo poo used one or a $100 for a new one

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

JordanKai posted:

quote:

Initially we were a little concerned about having to adjust the game to Nintendo users, but Nintendo actually came back and really gave us free reign.

So in terms of Bowser summoning, we said, "Is it okay if Bowser's going to be killing angels?"

And they said it's no problem at all.

:allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Looks like Nintendo sent out a clarification saying the adapter only works in Smash Bros. :(

quoting from the Smash 3DS thread:

I'm going to commit murder.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I wonder if it was a business decision rather than a tech decision. I don't have a pro controller yet, and there's no way I'd ever buy one if the adaptor let me use a GC controller. I already have a bunch of GC controllers laying around unused - why would I blow $50+ on a Pro when I can use something I already own that works fantastically?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Polo-Rican posted:

I wonder if it was a business decision rather than a tech decision. I don't have a pro controller yet, and there's no way I'd ever buy one if the adaptor let me use a GC controller. I already have a bunch of GC controllers laying around unused - why would I blow $50+ on a Pro when I can use something I already own that works fantastically?

This is probably why they released the adapter, to appeal to people that have nostalgia toward the GC controller and may get upset that they can't use it. I bought my WiiU Pro Controller for $25 when Best Buy was marking them down so it's not a huge loss to me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I figured one of the reasons besides the business reason is that the GC controller has one button too few to use as a pro controller.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
More than that. No Home, no Select, no 2nd L, no clickable sticks. Plus we'd run into Nintendo's favorite dumb thing of mapping buttons by letter instead of position.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nintendo wants this as a sort of novelty.

They don't want to manufacture Gamecube controllers again they want people to buy modern Nintendo products. If they give any more encouragement to use Gamecube controllers they could be in trouble. For example if you could map gamecube controller buttons to anything on the virtual console.

Why in the name of hell aren't the Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller compatible with the Virtual Console and Wii mode yet? It's absolutely insane.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nolgthorn posted:

Why in the name of hell aren't the Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller compatible with the Virtual Console and Wii mode yet? It's absolutely insane.

The Wii can't perceive them because they're using wireless connection instead of bluetooth.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The WiiU Pro Controller absolutely uses Bluetooth. The gamepad uses some 5.4 GHz signal for the image, I'm not sure if it uses that same signal for input.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Polo-Rican posted:

I dunno, you could apply the same reasoning to Wii Classic Controllers and many Wii U games support those.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

If the Wavebird does actually work with adapter I might finally getting around to buying a replacement for the one I lost years ago when I moved.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm probably just going to give the pro a whirl before investing in an overpriced dongle that will only work for one game. I think it will be sufficient, but I know the Wavebird would be better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

the truth posted:

I'm probably just going to give the pro a whirl before investing in an overpriced dongle that will only work for one game. I think it will be sufficient, but I know the Wavebird would be better.

No it wouldn't, it has less battery life and no rumble and is bulky and requires AAs.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm going to use the mania to sell the 2 wavebirds I never use and pick up a pro controller. I never played in the gamecube days, so I have no attachment to that layout for smash bros.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I wouldnt be too shock if some future games support GC controller because hey why not, but yeah it would be crazy to think it was fully compatible with existing games due to its missing several buttons from the Classic and Pro, plus the fact that each game would probably need to be programmed to use it specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Okay, I found out in the Smash thread about the OTHER kind of officially-licensed Mario themed Gamecube style classic controller coming for Smash Bros, so figured I'd see what the general Wii U thread thinks.

So there's the one that was shown around E3, being released by PDP, which I have already preordered at Gamestop.

However, in September, HORI announced they're coming out with a similar controller, which can be preordered on Amazon.

Why are there two of these coming out? Does this mean I am going to wind up owning two Gamecube style Mario themed Classic Controllers? I don't care about Turbo mode that the HORI one has, but it DOES look more like an actual GC controller. But on the other hand, the PDP one looks like a GC controller more updated for today, what with two proper joysticks and whatever.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING

(Both are also available as Luigi theme, but the PDP one is ALSO available as Peach and Yoshi theme)

• Locked thread