Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The thing with Jerry Jarrett is he presided over the last territory while the territory business model was self-destructing. Gates were down because of cable TV so he couldn't afford to pay wrestlers as much as they used to.

And that's about the only nice thing I can say about Jerry Jarrett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

njsykora posted:

New Austin show is basically Road Rage Radio but with more emoji.

All future Austin podcasts should take place while he is driving. This is comedy gold.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I know it's not wrestling, but what do you guys think of Cinema Swirl from the guy from Attitude Era Podcast main guy? They've done like 5 or 6 episodes so far and it's been pretty enjoyable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

terrible name imo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spikeguy posted:

I know it's not wrestling, but what do you guys think of Cinema Swirl from the guy from Attitude Era Podcast main guy? They've done like 5 or 6 episodes so far and it's been pretty enjoyable.

I've enjoyed it, if only for Sam (the other host) slowly learning about references through Kefin's analogies.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I listened to the AE podcast where they review Rumble 1999. Just hearing the Rock/Foley chairshots without seeing them is pretty sickening.

The episode where they do the Raw with Steph and Test's wedding and play the clip over a Jericho segment where JR goes "A Concussion!? C'mon." made me cringe.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mannie Fresh posted:

The episode where they do the Raw with Steph and Test's wedding and play the clip over a Jericho segment where JR goes "A Concussion!? C'mon." made me cringe.

Yeah they talk about that in that Rumble episode as well... in the buildup to the match they talk about Mick having tons of concussions, King even saying something like "Foley has had so many concussions he can't even remember his name! haha!!"

A different time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

triplexpac posted:

Yeah they talk about that in that Rumble episode as well... in the buildup to the match they talk about Mick having tons of concussions, King even saying something like "Foley has had so many concussions he can't even remember his name! haha!!"

A different time.

This is the one episode of AEPodcast I haven't listened to. I probably will at some point but the whole thing makes me uncomfortable. It was bad enough at the time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This is the one episode of AEPodcast I haven't listened to. I probably will at some point but the whole thing makes me uncomfortable. It was bad enough at the time.

I'd say they actually handled it really well. Essentially, they just say "This is absolutely an amazing match and one of the best of either guy's career, but it also definitely crossed a line."

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'd say they actually handled it really well. Essentially, they just say "This is absolutely an amazing match and one of the best of either guy's career, but it also definitely crossed a line."

Oh yeah, I don't mean the AE guys would make me feel uncomfortable with what they say, I just mean the match in general makes me feel uneasy. The main reason I haven't listened to it is because I always go through and watch the old PPV's first. 99 Rumble is an overbooked piece of garbage on top of having that nasty match so I haven't rewatched it since like 2001.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Meanwhile, in TNA...

http://youtu.be/XpzDKmcyQWI

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The AE guys legit always handle wresting's darker sides with class and decorum.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

ICHIBAHN posted:

The AE guys legit always handle wresting's darker sides with class and decorum.

The AE guys seem leagues more socially conscious than I'd ever expect a wrestling podcast crew to be. It's something I really appreciate; it makes listening to them a lot less uncomfortable than, say, OSW.

That they're also way loving funnier and more eloquent than the OSW guys helps, too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of AEPodcast, their episode reviewing Broken Skull Challenge is absolutely fantastic, and has introduced the adjective "bust-rear end" to my regular vocabulary.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Oh yeah, I don't mean the AE guys would make me feel uncomfortable with what they say, I just mean the match in general makes me feel uneasy. The main reason I haven't listened to it is because I always go through and watch the old PPV's first. 99 Rumble is an overbooked piece of garbage on top of having that nasty match so I haven't rewatched it since like 2001.

It's a hard listen, and they let the clip play out uninterrupted. At one point I felt like I was listening to THIS AMERICAN LIFE or something. As an interesting addendum, Foley spoke about it on Austin's podcast, and said that he talked poo poo about Rock on the commentary for Beyond The Mat, and after Rock listened to it he got in touch and they talked about it and cleared the air.

I still don't really know what Rock was thinking, other than he sadly was too caught up in the moment and knew that it would get heat. I don't think he was setting out to intentionally hurt Foley, but the problem is that they agreed on the amount of shots he would take, and Rock went further.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I know wrestling is subjective and all but in what world is that match absolutely amazing and one of the best of either careers? Even at the time it wasn't really heralded that way.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

People were calling that match gross as it happened. I don't recall it being immediately loved like the Cactus/HHH matches.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I find myself never seeming to agree with these AEP guys.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Mannie Fresh posted:

The point of that wasn't "A Concussion? What a pussy!" it was "A Concussion? Jericho didn't have one of those! He just doesn't want to wrestle Chyna!". Like how he was talking about not being able to play with his kids (which he doesn't have).

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Fun fact rumble 1999 was my first PPV ever. as i was and still am a huge fan of mankind.

I cried alot that night. it was a sad day.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

HulkaMatt posted:

I find myself never seeming to agree with these AEP guys.

I'm the same. It doesn't help how often they get things wrong.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The AE Podcast guys are cool and funny and are great.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

I like how the New Generation Podcast is getting better. But I can't stand the Ruthless Aggression one. It's loving terrible.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

omgomgomg posted:

I like how the New Generation Podcast is getting better. But I can't stand the Ruthless Aggression one. It's loving terrible.

Wow I didn't not know there was an RA podcast. Also when does the New Generation Podcast start getting good? KoTR 93 is a little dull.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

I know wrestling is subjective and all but in what world is that match absolutely amazing and one of the best of either careers? Even at the time it wasn't really heralded that way.

Am I remembering correctly when I recall that the crowd became more and more subdued with every shot, or was that something from Beyond the Mat where they were focused on Mrs. Foley and the kids?

I guess I could go back and watch the match again on the Network, I'm just not loving going to.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Wow I didn't not know there was an RA podcast. Also when does the New Generation Podcast start getting good? KoTR 93 is a little dull.

Its still a little dull at times (at least in comparison to the AEP) mainly due to the way they just basically read the matches through (unlike AEP which usually do this much more organically and throw in a story or two). But now they're finally loosing up a bit. To me, it starts picking up at Royal Rumble 95.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

coconono posted:

The thing with Jerry Jarrett is he presided over the last territory while the territory business model was self-destructing. Gates were down because of cable TV so he couldn't afford to pay wrestlers as much as they used to.

And that's about the only nice thing I can say about Jerry Jarrett.

His lovely payoffs started way before the territories died. Much earlier.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

The AE guys seem leagues more socially conscious than I'd ever expect a wrestling podcast crew to be. It's something I really appreciate; it makes listening to them a lot less uncomfortable than, say, OSW.

That they're also way loving funnier and more eloquent than the OSW guys helps, too.

yeah I can't stand OSW but I started listening to AEpodcast recently and really enjoy it, they all seem like great, smart guys and I laugh several times during an episode

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Don't shut off the Bryan, Vinny and Craig show before the shout outs.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm the same. It doesn't help how often they get things wrong.

What do they get wrong?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

What do they get wrong?

They get some minor things wrong sometimes, or quote something incorrectly, but the show is generally well researched. Unless it's stuff like "Oh in hindsight Jarrett was pretty cool" which is just an opinion. They are right that these whole period is the Undertaker at his worst though, he's loving dreadful, and dull. I always thought the Biker gimmick was the nadir of his run, but this ministry stuff (And his Bike ride with The Big Show) is awful.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

MassRafTer posted:

Don't shut off the Bryan, Vinny and Craig show before the shout outs.

Seconding this. Go out of your way to listen.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I can't stand OSW but I started listening to AEpodcast recently and really enjoy it, they all seem like great, smart guys and I laugh several times during an episode

I'd say OSW started good, but they fell off a cliff as soon as the Hogan era actually finished. They should have just finished it after Mania 9.

It doesn't help that AEP are doing their same format...but better.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 8, 2014

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

It's a videocast now?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jubs posted:

It's a videocast now?

Well, without the video. But their formats of match synopsis, anecdotes, etc is obviously inspired by OSW, even they admit it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'd say OSW started good, but they fell off a cliff as soon as the Hogan era actually finished. They should have just finished it after Mania 9.

I still think that OSW would've been better served by following the Hulkamania era to WCW. There's a lot of material there that's certainly a lot more interesting than the David Arquette trilogy, particularly since they admit that they don't know that much about WCW. Plus there's a lot of fun crap that goes on around that time. I guess now it's just a little unfocused, and worst of all is that they're currently pretty dismissive of anything that's after the Hulkamania era.

If you listen to the AE Podcast on Capital Carnage and then the OSW Review one, you come away with very different viewpoints. The Rock cuts a really fun promo where he steals other people's lines. AE Podcast laugh about the promo and OSW literally say "Well he did it before on Raw so whatever." and just skip through it.

Weirdly, the moment that made me say 'Huh?' is when they have the famous Mean Gene/Bobby Heenan interview. Gene says "Where do you get the B-" and stops himself, clearly he's about to say balls. So Heenan, quick as he is, says "I'll tell you where I get the B-" and carries on. OSW honestly act like this was a botch on Heenan's part, and that Gene obviously confused him. It's such a weird stance to take since Heenan doesn't miss a beat.

If I listen to OOC poo poo on another match then I'm done.

Weirdly I love OSW Review, or did right until the Hogan era ends. Now it just seems they want it to carry on but some joyfulness to it is missing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fair bit of homophobia and racism ibn the OSW i listened to, the No Holds Barred one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was listening to one when my wife walked in and they were going on about how ugly some female was on that particular event and she scoffed at the idea that they'd themselves were any kind of lookers. OSW comes off a bit too judgmental for my tastes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Someone tell me all the cringeworthy parts of the Ross Report with Ed Ferrara so I don't actually have to listen to it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The AE Podcast guys wrote an article for Kotaku about WWF Attitude on the N64. They might be doing more? I dunno.

quote:

As a young boy, I loved nothing more than the WWF. In the world of the WWF, I loved nothing more than the 7-foot-tall, 300-pound "Big Red Machine" Kane. Imagine my horror upon selecting him in the matchup screen and seeing a skinny young boy dressed as Kane appear at the top of the entrance ramp. Who is that? This must be some sort of mistake, Kane is massive! Kane is ripped! Kane is most certainly not the same height as D'Lo Brown.

I'm serious. Everyone is the same height in this game. In the world of wrestling, that concept is ridiculous. Combine this with the massive, cold, empty arenas and the game starts to feel less like a WWF game and more of a simulator for those cheap wrestling shows you see advertised on posters in chip shops. You see the poster and beg your Mum to take you and she says, "No, come on now, there's no way that's really Kane. That's just some lad in a cheap costume". And in the case of WWF Attitude, you were right, Mum.

• Locked thread