Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

How did I end up in the Avatar thread

I started it by daring to suggest it was a good movie. I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun movie with fun characters but feels way overhyped beyond it's actual quality level.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It was charming and enjoyable which are nice things to be.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
It was fun. Big summer blockbusters--superhero, SF, fantasy--tend to be huge affairs that take themselves super seriously. Everyone's super badass and dangerous, and half the time the protagonist is thrown into things they don't understand and are barely competent until later on. It was refreshing to see a protagonist who not only knew what he was doing, but had FUN doing it.

Maybe people are overhyping it because it's a refresher in a sea of serious superhero stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
At my workplace we do trick or treating and costume contests every Saturday this month. Today, there were two kids dressed as Star Lord.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xealot posted:

You're missing my point, which is that Star Wars EU material is largely unofficial and fan-generated. As far as I'm aware, Guardians of the Galaxy is all official Marvel content from its cosmic back-catalogue. I'm talking about the culture of the fandom, and its feeling of ownership over the franchise.

Harry Potter is more like Star Wars in that they both have glimpses of these insanely complex worlds, but that complexity is largely unstated, or unexplored. Marvel is referencing specific things they already wrote...Lucas and Rowling threw all these extraneous details into their stories, and beyond a few liner notes, there was no official explanation for them other than the implication that a lot is going on there...so fans wrote them themselves.

The open-endedness and the participatory nature of those fandoms are what I feel makes them so similar; they grabbed the zeitgeist of their time in a really similar way, where people aspire to be nonspecific wizards or bounty hunters or Jedi of their own creation, instead of specific established characters. I'm not aware of a similarly huge category of Marvel fans interacting with the setting that way, but I could easily be wrong on that.

This is from a while ago, but

Comic book creators are comic book fans. All of the Guardians books were written by diehard comic book neckbeards. That's one of the most defining features of comic books. I'd say you are pretty fundamentally wrong on that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
GotG wasn't an incredibly deep movie, but it was a very, very, very fun movie, which hasn't been the case for most of the big science-fiction action blockbusters recently. It had a very happy feel to everything, nearly every character was likable in some way, and nothing felt particularly "off" or "wrong".

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Light Gun Man posted:

At my workplace we do trick or treating and costume contests every Saturday this month. Today, there were two kids dressed as Star Lord.

A year ago there would be no chance that any of those kids would know who Star-Lord is.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWh6VllqX_4&t=11s

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw them. Hell I read Marvel a lot back when I was a kid and I didn't know any of the characters in this movie.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw them. Hell I read Marvel a lot back when I was a kid and I didn't know any of the characters in this movie.

All i recalled from half assed reading one random issue I found in the half price book store was star lord was in relationship with his ship....

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I lost count. Are there any more MCU movies between now and Avengers 2?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

I lost count. Are there any more MCU movies between now and Avengers 2?

Nope, Ant Man is planned for two months afterwards though (July 2015).

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So they're planning to introduce three new charaters and a new villain in the same movie? Sounds crowded.

And if Ant-Man isn't hugely delayed I'll be stunned. The issues on that movie.....

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fulchrum posted:

So they're planning to introduce three new charaters and a new villain in the same movie? Sounds crowded.

It's funny you bring this up in the thread for GoTG, where they introduce 5(+) new characters and a new villian (or two)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

wdarkk posted:

I wish I had the option to see Guardians of the Galaxy in non-3D IMAX.

Yeah, the 3D was really poorly done, then again I'm not sure I've seen a good post conversion.
The extra height of the imax scenes is always appreciated though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

duz posted:

Yeah, the 3D was really poorly done, then again I'm not sure I've seen a good post conversion.

I think Godzilla is the only post one I've seen that I thought looked pretty good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Neo Rasa posted:

I think Godzilla is the only post one I've seen that I thought looked pretty good.

Godzilla looked pretty good but the important thing there was the sound system. I would watch it on an iPad with ATMOS over 70mm IMAX with an iPad speaker.

For Guardians I would make the opposite decision.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

duz posted:

It was actually pretty good though.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

duz posted:

Uh yeah, except the 3D was pretty good like CelticPredator just said.

I went and saw it 3 times in IMAX 3D

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I thought the 3d was subtle and well done. Even if you thought it was blah, I don't see how you get to "really poorly done" unless your definition of that is the 3d wasn't all up in your face.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I thought the 3d was subtle and well done. Even if you thought it was blah, I don't see how you get to "really poorly done" unless your definition of that is the 3d wasn't all up in your face.

No, I'm not that type of 3D person. It was mainly Rocket and Groot's 3D that was the issue. Rocket was especially bad by the end and his face kept going smooth. Which makes sense as a post conversion is adding depth at a different point in the process and fur would just mess with them even more.
Maybe it's because I compare post conversions to filmed in 3D and so they always seem to range from bad to poor?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've seen the film twice, once in regular and once in 3D. I can't say that the 3D really added enough in my mind to justify the extra few dollars, but I tend not to be much of a 3D watcher to begin with.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

duz posted:

No, I'm not that type of 3D person. It was mainly Rocket and Groot's 3D that was the issue. Rocket was especially bad by the end and his face kept going smooth. Which makes sense as a post conversion is adding depth at a different point in the process and fur would just mess with them even more.
Maybe it's because I compare post conversions to filmed in 3D and so they always seem to range from bad to poor?

You'd think it'd be way easier to do post-conversion on a CGI element.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

You'd think it'd be way easier to do post-conversion on a CGI element.

The actual CG models are probably over on an entirely different set of computers from whatever company gets to do the 3D. Though I think fully animated CG films can do in-house conversion because literally everything is a 3D model.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The actual CG models are probably over on an entirely different set of computers from whatever company gets to do the 3D. Though I think fully animated CG films can do in-house conversion because literally everything is a 3D model.

Wouldn't you just render it twice with a camera offset? Obviously it's not entirely that simple, but still.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Wouldn't you just render it twice with a camera offset? Obviously it's not entirely that simple, but still.

You could, but that'd double the render time compared to what the post conversion company has to do which could be less involved. More likely they were rendering right up until the deadline giving the PC team very little time to work on the CG assets but plenty of time to work on the live action stuff since that's been set for awhile. It's all probably a result of Marvels tight schedules.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

duz posted:

You could, but that'd double the render time compared to what the post conversion company has to do which could be less involved. More likely they were rendering right up until the deadline giving the PC team very little time to work on the CG assets but plenty of time to work on the live action stuff since that's been set for awhile. It's all probably a result of Marvels tight schedules.

In theory it wouldn't be a straight up doubling because a lot of your lighting calculations could be reused, hell you could probably reuse all of them and only James Cameron would notice.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Gunn announces the movie's title in China.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Google Translate offers this translation for "Guardians of the Galaxy"

银河的守护者

What is so terrible about it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

GotG wasn't an incredibly deep movie, but it was a very, very, very fun movie, which hasn't been the case for most of the big science-fiction action blockbusters recently. It had a very happy feel to everything, nearly every character was likable in some way, and nothing felt particularly "off" or "wrong".

I disagree about the last part. I think Gamora started out really weak as a character. The whole stealing the thing from Starlord and then suddenly going, "well, I was going to betray my father so let's just team up" thing wasn't developed properly. As in, we aren't given any real reason why she turns on Thanos. It just happens and the audience is like, "well OK, I guess that makes sense for the plot to continue..."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Bifford posted:

银河的守护者

That's like, six characters - they'll save hundreds annually by using one less in merchandise.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

I disagree about the last part. I think Gamora started out really weak as a character. The whole stealing the thing from Starlord and then suddenly going, "well, I was going to betray my father so let's just team up" thing wasn't developed properly. As in, we aren't given any real reason why she turns on Thanos. It just happens and the audience is like, "well OK, I guess that makes sense for the plot to continue..."

Her betrayal of Thanos is developed later when Nebula wants to betray him also. It establishes that all of Thanos' children totally hate him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus isn't Thanos' long term goal to erase all of existence and his regular thing is going around genociding planets just because? We also basically learn that when Thanos destroys an entire planet/race he takes one plucky kid from each and makes them his kid/heartless killing machine. I mean I don't think someone deciding that Thanos isn't a dude to be involved with needs to be developed all that much more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus isn't Thanos' long term goal to erase all of existence and his regular thing is going around genociding planets just because?

We don't know this from any of the films.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

computer parts posted:

We don't know this from any of the films.

Huh yeah, we only really learn that when Thanos destroys an entire planet/race he takes one plucky kid from each and makes them his kid/heartless killing machine. Great guy. Why would anyone want to betray or leave him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

银河的守护者

Damned if I know. Anyone actually know Mandarin?

I get the feeling the "Interplanetary Attacking Team" thing is one of those clumsy reverse translations and it actually makes sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

Damned if I know. Anyone actually know Mandarin?

I get the feeling the "Interplanetary Attacking Team" thing is one of those clumsy reverse translations and it actually makes sense.

Baron Bifford posted:

银河的守护者

That one uses the actual name for our galaxy, 银河 is "silver river" or Milky Way.

Google Translate gave me

星系的监护人

I would probably cut it down to just

星系监护队

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Marvel finally decided to release a dancing baby Groot, except it looks like complete poo poo: http://mashable.com/2014/10/10/baby-groot-officially-licensed-christmas/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Josh Lyman posted:

Marvel finally decided to release a dancing baby Groot, except it looks like complete poo poo: http://mashable.com/2014/10/10/baby-groot-officially-licensed-christmas/

For $15 it's not bad

• Locked thread