Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sometimes rural justice is swift.
This is among the most ominous things I've ever seen ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
30 grand in debt with a job at Whole Foods.. Guess what he is in the process of applying to?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/personal-finance/burdened-record-amount-debt-graduates-delay-marriage-n219371

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is among the most ominous things I've ever seen ITT

Yeah it's scary and if I were on the other side of it, add I often am, I'd be pissed. Luckily it's easy to get a sheriff to enforce an order when he and the judge are out fishing when you find them.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://www.nsa.gov/psp/applyonline...=1&PostingSeq=1

Wait, this is a thing?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Was offered a state attorney job in a niche-ish practice area for about the middle of the salary range (52k., max is 55k) listed. Anyone have any advice related to negotiating for state jobs? It's listed as Attorney I - II slot. On the other hand, a slot at my current job will be opening up next month where I have 5 of the 8 attorneys in my division pushing for me, but because its a gov job it's not really guaranteed. Starting salary would be about 65k and would be in a transactional practice area for the entire county.

Thoughts?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

William Munny posted:

Was offered a state attorney job in a niche-ish practice area for about the middle of the salary range (52k., max is 55k) listed. Anyone have any advice related to negotiating for state jobs? It's listed as Attorney I - II slot. On the other hand, a slot at my current job will be opening up next month where I have 5 of the 8 attorneys in my division pushing for me, but because its a gov job it's not really guaranteed. Starting salary would be about 65k and would be in a transactional practice area for the entire county.

Thoughts?
You need to look at the range for your qualifications. Don't expect to be able much, maybe par with your current salary, if it is in the range.
If you're hired as I don't expect any thing but the min.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

William Munny posted:

Thoughts?

As you compare, a big factor are the benefits or lack thereof. Insurance, state retirement, and being in public service for loan forgiveness can be huge if they exist for one position and not the other. I guess the big decision is state versus county? Politics could play a role

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah. federal government can own patents. and I'd imagine that the NSA does a lot of patentable stuff

e: crypto, telecom, and database, at least

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

William Munny posted:

Thoughts?

The oag probably wants you as an attorney 1 because you've never practiced right? Or did the county finally get you doing something law related?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Right, they want me attorney I. The min for the position would come out to 50k. The bummer is that at the county, they count "law clerk" time as practicing time while the OAG requires it be licensed attorney time. I've been doing law related work the whole time at the county, just that the people in the attorney slots have reviewed my work and signed at the bottom. Other than that, I'm basically a full time attorney as far as responsibilities/talking to clients/meetings/etc.

nm posted:

You need to look at the range for your qualifications. Don't expect to be able much, maybe par with your current salary, if it is in the range.
If you're hired as I don't expect any thing but the min.

I'd be making about twice as much as I'm making now. Like I say above, the min is a bit over 50k, so I would be making right about in the of the range.

woozle wuzzle posted:

As you compare, a big factor are the benefits or lack thereof. Insurance, state retirement, and being in public service for loan forgiveness can be huge if they exist for one position and not the other. I guess the big decision is state versus county? Politics could play a role

Another point that I only thought about briefly. The current AG for my state is on the way out, the county attorney has another year in office I believe but I can't remember for sure off the top of my head.

I was going to talk to my division head at my job tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me there

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Quick question for you goons who may be on the hiring committee or have a good handle on things that matter.

Long story short, my contracts professor has to take a leave of absence for the rest of the semester. Originally we only had two options: Drop and take it next fall (nope) or go into one of the other two professors' course where they will have a few catch up classes (they use different books) and then you have the choice of being on the curve or taking the exam pass/fail.

Today a professor who up until a few years ago taught contracts every year came forward and offered to fill in for our class session, basically he'll review what we've done in our book up to this point and then go from there. Unfortunately since they gave some people the choice option the day before there will be fewer people in the class making the curve tougher and since it's ostensibly still our class I wouldn't have the pass/fail option.

I'm leaning toward the new guy coming in where we left off because he's an absolutely incredible person irrespective of law school and in the context of the material he's unbelievable but the tougher curve is a bit daunting and it's nice to have the pass/fail option on the table.

My question is, what effect, if any, would seeing a "Pass" on a transcript in a 1st year class have on hiring? The dean is writing letters for the files of everyone affected so there will be an official explanation but my gut tells me a number is better than a P, especially since the letter would effectively say you took the harder option of taking the test when you didn't have to.

Just curious, thanks.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
This is likely not helpful to you, but personally I would choke myself to death on horse semen before I took a job where that difference would matter. Consequently I am poor.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

When I look at resumes I only look at the GPA. If I get nosy I look at the transcript. A P in a basic class like contracts would raise questions & eyebrows. I'd make sure the letter got sent with every transcript otherwise I'd stick with something graded. Even if you did take the graded test and sent a letter with it being all "oh me oh my the test was harder because it is a different professor" I probably would still only care about the grade. It's contracts. To people out of law school the prof doesn't matter that much. I realize there are actually differences between professors (some don't cover material others cover, etc etc) but to someone who's been out for a little bit the differences seem minor enough that we assume it's not going to affect your score. This is a terrible assumption but it's the way things are.

Sorry man, but at the end of the day if I'm staring at 30 resumes I am not going to recalculate your GPA based on the grade you think you should have received. I'm going to look at the GPA on your resume and the GPA on the transcript.

tl;dr You got hosed, take whichever option will result in the highest possible grade. Also I'm rambly and tired.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Just in case it's important, if I was to take it pass/fail the GPA would be determined by the other classes, contracts wouldn't count towards the GPA or consequently the class rank. I could wind up being top of the class thanks to the other core classes but contracts would always be the "P."

Also if we're talking conceptually, I feel like I would learn the most from the guy taking over rather than joining a class that's been in session for a month and a half already. Should that matter.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You don't learn anything important in law school, like how to practice law, so do whatever will get you the highest grade.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Soylent Pudding posted:

This is one of the reasons I made the jump to computer science. Also both careers rely on a very similar skill set of being able to break complicated problems down into simple logical parts and then writing a document in an arcane and highly precise language solving that problem.

Also computer science is full of so many of the socially stunted and awkward that even the gooniest lawyer has a huge advantage in people skills.

This sounds nuts! I'm actually about a year away from finish my Ph.D in computational biology and am actually considering law school (yet again). :doh:

I look forward to never again having to write a single line of Python or C++. Writing incomprehensible legalese sounds way more funnerer.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You don't learn anything important in law school, like how to practice law, so do whatever will get you the highest grade.

Seriously this. Take the P if you think you're likely to be screwed on the curve in joining another class.

"Yeah I'm in the Top X%, hire me! Oh, that P in Contracts, you ask? Well...."

is better than

"Yeah I would have been in the Top X% if not for my poor Contracts grade, which is totally not my fault because...."

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'd say it depends more on how well you think you can do in Contracts as compared to your other 2-3 classes. You need to do what will get you the highest GPA. I would probably go for the graded class since that gives you the most bites at the apple in terms of getting a good grade. P/F classes are for when you are already happy with your GPA and just trying to maintain it.

How much harder is the curve going to be now that people have left the class? Are we talking like half the class left, or just a handful?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Aschlafly posted:

I look forward to never again having to write a single line of Python or C++. Writing incomprehensible legalese sounds way more funnerer.

The good thing is, if you're used to reading other people's code, you should have no problem deciphering case opinions

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Alternate strategy: P/F classes mean you don't have to study because no one fails except for weirdos. So he'd only have to study for the other classes, increasing the likelihood of doing well in those classes. More bites at the apple cuts both ways, whereas removing contracts from contention allow studying to shift towards the graded classes.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The good thing is, if you're used to reading other people's code, you should have no problem deciphering case opinions

I've basically been doing nothing but reading Supreme Court cases in my free time for the last few months. I imagine these are the cream of the crop, though, and the less lofty, theoretical aspects of law are likely to put me in a mental institution.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

How much harder is the curve going to be now that people have left the class? Are we talking like half the class left, or just a handful?

The class will probably be about 25 people. At that number only 1-3 people will be in the bottom and that means a C most likely unless they are unbelievably hopeless.

Frankly contacts was the class I was most comfortable with, I'm thinking take the grade and hedge my bets against property and the required research and writing class.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah this should be stapled onto the forehead of every 1L:

YOUR JOB IS TO GET GOOD GRADES ABOVE ANYTHING ELSE, LIKE LEARNING WHATEVER IT IS THAT THE CLASS COVERS. AFTER YOU GET GOOD GRADES, NETWORK. DRINK FREE BEER. EAT TACOS.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pook Good Mook posted:

The class will probably be about 25 people. At that number only 1-3 people will be in the bottom and that means a C most likely unless they are unbelievably hopeless.

Frankly contacts was the class I was most comfortable with, I'm thinking take the grade and hedge my bets against property and the required research and writing class.

If the class is that small it may have a gentler curve, especially since at least a few of those 25 will probably choose P/F. At my school, if fewer than like 20-30 (I forget the exact number) students were taking a class for a grade, there was no mandatory curve, or at least it was much softer. I'd ask someone in the administration about this - it's a totally fair question and should factor into your decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah classes under 35ish people here don't have the rigid curve. There still has to be some sort of curve, but much much softer.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Ya the class they're adding won't have P/F but you also aren't joining midstream in some other professor's class, it will just be for this small group.

They did mention they'd adhere to the "spirit of the curve" which suggests to me they won't fail someone just because they have to.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You're looking at the curve wrong. Curves aren't there to stop you from being failed. Curves are there to stop you from picking up lots of A's. If you're trying to be grade-competitive in law school, your goal is to get all A's. Curved classes hurt you because they are designed to reduce grade inflation.

If you're not trying to be grade-competitive, then yeah, curved classes are fine. (there is still grade inflation in uncurved classes so they're not phenomenal) They'll keep you in the middle of the pack GPA-wise so your resume doesn't stand out, provide you with plenty of free time for beer & networking & odd jobs for solos during school that hopefully you can turn into a recommendation for a post-grad job. Or someone you can call when you hang out a shingle and have random questions.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya the class they're adding won't have P/F but you also aren't joining midstream in some other professor's class, it will just be for this small group.

They did mention they'd adhere to the "spirit of the curve" which suggests to me they won't fail someone just because they have to.
I'm not on a hiring committee, but I typically interview a couple of candidates each month. When I do, I almost never have time to look at transcripts and, even if I did, I wouldn't be bothered by a "P" so long as there is a reasonable explanation for it, which you have. the question you should ask yourself is whether taking your contracts exam for a grade will increase or decrease your overall GPA. Unless it's going to be a slam dunk for you, I'd recommend taking it pass/fail, which would give you a serious advantage in terms of reduced stress and increased time to study for your other exams.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
This is a sign that you should drop out of law school.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ersatz posted:

I'm not on a hiring committee, but I typically interview a couple of candidates each month. When I do, I almost never have time to look at transcripts and, even if I did, I wouldn't be bothered by a "P" so long as there is a reasonable explanation for it, which you have. the question you should ask yourself is whether taking your contracts exam for a grade will increase or decrease your overall GPA. Unless it's going to be a slam dunk for you, I'd recommend taking it pass/fail, which would give you a serious advantage in terms of reduced stress and increased time to study for your other exams.

We glance at your cumulative GPA and scan briefly for anything that might indicate that you are retarded like a C in criminal law or the words "Duke Law School." I have never questioned or noticed a candidate's pass/fail courseload.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you don't ace first year exams just move on in life. One year lost is better than all your years lost.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If you don't ace first year exams just move on in life. One year lost is better than all your years lost.

Otherwise you gotta be a divorce attorney like me.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
My lord and master sent me on an errand to the Court of Appeals today.

No one clamoring for PPOs. People not endorsed for oral argument not allowed to speak. Judges willing to tell attorneys when their arguments were full of crap.

It was glorious.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Alaemon posted:

My lord and master sent me on an errand to the Court of Appeals today.

No one clamoring for PPOs. People not endorsed for oral argument not allowed to speak. Judges willing to tell attorneys when their arguments were full of crap.

It was glorious.

The most nervous moment of my career so far was appearing before the COA. God that's intimidating your first time. It's like appearing before a whole group of disappointed dads, and they are all disappointed in you for different reasons.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

BigHead posted:

The most nervous moment of my career so far was appearing before the COA. God that's intimidating your first time. It's like appearing before a whole group of disappointed dads, and they are all disappointed in you for different reasons.

Hahahaha. This is so accurate.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

It's like appearing before a whole group of disappointed dads, and they are all disappointed in you for different reasons.

What is a jury like?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

joat mon posted:

What is a jury like?

Like giving a five year old the keys to your car.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

joat mon posted:

What is a jury like?

Trying to teach a group of developmentally disabled kittens how to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

What is a jury like?

Like taking toddlers to a gun range.