Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gesadt posted:

in what way is it aged? production values? many people like it or at liked way back when because at that time it was a TV series made by David Lynch, as such there was nothing quite like it.

Something about the quality of it made it difficult to watch in a way that only really early 90's television is capable of. I had the same feeling recently when I re-watched Stephen Kings It. That's not to say the plot or anything put me off but the image quality made it unpleasant to watch and that was enough to kill my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I only first watched it a couple of years ago, and while it doesn't start out spectacularly, it really does get awesome because Lynch is great at building towards stuff. I did not like season 2 at all, though.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

I did not like season 2 at all, though.

no surprise since afaik Lynch wasnt involved in it much or at all, besides last episode.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I only first watched it a couple of years ago, and while it doesn't start out spectacularly, it really does get awesome because Lynch is great at building towards stuff. I did not like season 2 at all, though.

Fair enough then, I did wonder why people regarded it so highly, and in fairness I only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes, just one of those that skipped me by.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ramagamma posted:

Fair enough then, I did wonder why people regarded it so highly, and in fairness I only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes, just one of those that skipped me by.

I didn't make it more than two or three episodes in the first time I watched it either. The pacing of the pilot is kind of especially weird, and the fifteen minutes or so of people crying at the start is kind of baffling as an introduction to the cast. I can't explain it, but the second time I saw it the chintzey intro and weird synth soundtrack clicked for me and I was pretty much completely drawn in until I finished it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Speaking of Idle Thumbs, this is something I didn't even know I wanted until I saw it on Twitter tonight, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be my favorite thing. I hope they get Steve Gaynor on for an episode.

Big missed opportunity in not calling it "The Idle TV Club" imo.

Roelosaurus
Jun 5, 2014

Bombcast bestcast.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The pilot to Twin Peaks is one of the best 90 minutes on television. It does so much to set the atmosphere of the town.

But the appeal of the show was that it's a soap opera with.a premise. The town was as much a character as anyone else and people at the time were absolutely engrossed in the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer. I find the production values lend a creepier edge overall. I watched X-Files for the first time from the beginning and felt the same juxtaposition between old and new when they were dissecting that body. TV is so slick now but I'll never forget Dale looking over Laura's body as the (actual) malfunctioning light flickers audibly and the assistant (actually) blurts out his name in confusion and they just run with it. One of the crew even shows up in a reflection accidentally in the end and they're like "gently caress it, that's our killer."

Lynch and Frost were running by the seat of their pants but no other show embraced its flaws so much. Part of its downfall was that run and gun attitude. Frost was the only one experienced in TV shows and they played their hand too quickly at the end of the first season. Fire Walk With Me is by contrast a pure Lynch movie and it's not bad it's just... Pure David Lynch. Amazing music though, the series has the most inappropriately amazing music.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's worth mentioning that the Twin Peaks blue-ray set that came out recently looks and sounds absolutely amazing. In includes Fire Walk With Me (which really should be watched after you finish the series) and a bunch of extras. Season 2 of that show is abysmal, but the last episode Lynch/Frost is back in and it's amazing. The first season is some of the best TV ever in terms of weirdness. That poo poo aired during primetime! Crazy.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do you mean Alien: Isolation? I haven't played it but it sounds like the complete opposite of what I'd call an "overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf".

Sorry, that was a poor juxtaposition. Alien: Isolation is the latest offender in taking ~30 minutes of film (the last-ish 30 minutes of Alien in this case) and turning it into an overly-long game.

Alien is clearly not an "overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf", but as the Thumbs discussed, the game doesn't pull from the good half of the film that is essentially Space Truckers.

EDIT: Also, Worms is great.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 8, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pasco posted:

Sorry, that was a poor juxtaposition. Alien: Isolation is the latest offender in taking ~30 minutes of film (the last-ish 30 minutes of Alien in this case) and turning it into an overly-long game.

Alien is clearly not an "overbearing Michael Bay shitfest action-barf", but as the Thumbs discussed, the game doesn't pull from the good half of the film that is essentially Space Truckers.

EDIT: Also, Worms is great.

If anything Isolation succeeds in turning 30 minutes film into a full length game but somewhere along the line someone was like "we need a different set of enemies" and threw androids in. The alien works wonderfully as an omnipresent threat but then it disappears for the last 1/3 of the game. The androids are actually kind of cool, they remind me of the similar enemies in System Shock 2, but I signed on for a xenomorph thank you.

And I don't know what that last comment is about, there are no good parts of Space Truckers.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

EC posted:

It's worth mentioning that the Twin Peaks blue-ray set that came out recently looks and sounds absolutely amazing. In includes Fire Walk With Me (which really should be watched after you finish the series) and a bunch of extras. Season 2 of that show is abysmal, but the last episode Lynch/Frost is back in and it's amazing. The first season is some of the best TV ever in terms of weirdness. That poo poo aired during primetime! Crazy.

There are a couple good episodes in Season 2 but they're only the ones Lynch directed (the opening two episodes, the mid-season resolution episodes & the last episode). I think the Lynch episodes are generally the good ones across the show, and the rest are noticeably worse. (I didn't notice this the first time I watched the show -- it was in hindsight that I realized all the episodes I liked were the ones Lynch actually directed as opposed to just showrunning.)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ja2ke posted:

(I didn't notice this the first time I watched the show -- it was in hindsight that I realized all the episodes I liked were the ones Lynch actually directed as opposed to just showrunning.)

On my second or third watch with someone that hadn't seen it before, we would cheer every time we say Mark Frost or David Lynch in the credits. I forgot Lynch did several episodes in the beginning, all my memories are of constantly eye rolling to James Hurley.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The trick to appreciating Twin Peaks for me was to realize that it's trying to be funny.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Woffle posted:

The trick to appreciating Twin Peaks for me was to realize that it's trying to be funny.

This and also it is unabashedly a capital S Soap Opera. It's also probably the only tv show I can think of that tackles the sublime as a variety of horror.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

al-azad posted:

And I don't know what that last comment is about, there are no good parts of Space Truckers.
For a while I thought you meant Galaxy Trucker, and I was wondering what had gone wrong in your life that you could dislike that game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

al-azad posted:

Not even the part where the guy has to start up his mechanical penis like a lawnmower? That movie was friggan weird.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/HarpersMagazine-1998-07-0059612.pdf

But yeah it's nutso poo poo to imagine TP airing on ABC when I was six years old

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jimbot posted:

Not even the part where the guy has to start up his mechanical penis like a lawnmower? That movie was friggan weird.

Charles Dance's greatest silver screen moment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best episode of Twin Peaks is the one called Deadly Premonition.

Swery hasn't seen Twin Peaks, guys.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Charles Dance's greatest silver screen moment.

And Dennis Hopper's. If he did Super Mario Bros. to buy his son shoes then Space Truckers must be the Hollywood equivalent of panhandling.

Watch Ice Pirates, it's the literal perfect movie featuring Space Herpes and Bruce Vilanch's head.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The space herpe was a scarring moment of my early, early childhood. I even got to see it at a drive-in theater. :aaaaa:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

Is this actually a thing that has been said by someone trying to prove something???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
We call unappetizing meat "space herpes" in my family, after my mom coolly ad-libbled "jeez, that looks like a space herpe" after I choked on a piece of meat and spat it back onto my plate. Nice to see Ice Pirates getting some respect, btw. The movie also features an automated dick-chopping machine and a pretty decent gag involving a stand-up arcade game and a space battle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I saw it when I was literally like 3 or 4 and only remembered it in vague flashes for the longest loving time. I just knew there was this movie about ice and pirates and space and there was a super-fast space slug and I had no idea what was going on. It was vindicating to find the movie much much later and finally be able to string it all together into a (somewhat) coherent sequence.

As for Twin Peaks, it never did it for me. Also some friends took a bunch of 'shrooms with me and watched Lost Highway one night and I really, REALLY hate that freestyle interpretive jazz.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

coyo7e posted:

As for Twin Peaks, it never did it for me. Also some friends took a bunch of 'shrooms with me and watched Lost Highway one night and I really, REALLY hate that freestyle interpretive jazz.

That sax solo is possibly the hardest I've laughed in any movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
a valid defensive reaction

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I remember a scene in Season 2 when a posh guy came to talk to Lucy at the police station and kicked off a subplot. It wasn't anything egregious but it was the moment I first-thought 'Ah, this isn't as good anymore."

I still haven't seen much Lynch but I love Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive. The first time I finished that movie I was in an incredibly intense headspace that was impossible to recreate afterwards, especially the more I thought about it. I barely understood what I'd seen but I totally 'got it' at the same time.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I found Twin Peaks and college, and the hook set immediately. I'm very happy that it's coming back and can't wait to learn more.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jippa posted:

I've never actually seen twin peaks. There has to be some cheap but legal way of doing it. Just checking amazon it's £20 for 2 series which is pretty fair I suppose.

It's on Netflix and Hulu.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tae posted:

The best episode of Twin Peaks is the one called Deadly Premonition.

There is literally a picture of the twin peaks in the game. Literally

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Don't forget the 2007 TGS trailer for Deadly Premonition, back when it was called "Rainy Woods". It was much more like Twin Peaks in that iteration. I think the story might be apocryphal, but the way I heard it was that journalists called out the likeness and they had to redo a lot of the game to make it a more distinct work.

Here's the trailer. There are some spoilers in here, if you are sensitive to having set-pieces revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

I love Deadly Premonition.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Twin Peaks was such a strange hit in Asian countries, particularly Japan, that I wouldn't be surprised if Swery really didn't watch it but knew enough about it secondhand. Miyamoto said that the surreal Koholint island and its offbeat citizens was inspired by Twin Peaks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is literally a picture of the twin peaks in the game. Literally

Well yeah, if people haven't gotten the joke already it's Swery "saying" he never saw Twin Peaks to hide the fact that he totally copied everything except it had an ending.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I bet Jake is being engulfed in messages, posts and emails letting him know that the latest Smash Bros. game isn't called "Super Smash Bros." after this weeks Idle Thumbs.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Twin Peaks was such a strange hit in Asian countries, particularly Japan, that I wouldn't be surprised if Swery really didn't watch it but knew enough about it secondhand. Miyamoto said that the surreal Koholint island and its offbeat citizens was inspired by Twin Peaks.

If Twin Peaks had never existed everybody would be talking about how Deadly Premonition was such a wacky Japanese take on America. It's the exact kind of exaggerated pastiche that people usually love when it's about other peoples' culture, it just happens to have been made by Americans.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If Twin Peaks had never existed everybody would be talking about how Deadly Premonition was such a wacky Japanese take on America. It's the exact kind of exaggerated pastiche that people usually love when it's about other peoples' culture, it just happens to have been made by Americans.

Thankfully Swery came out with another game, this time on "his take" on the Boston-New York beef...which I'm told is accurate but not accurate for the reasons he probably thinks.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

weird bleep posted:

I bet Jake is being engulfed in messages, posts and emails letting him know that the latest Smash Bros. game isn't called "Super Smash Bros." after this weeks Idle Thumbs.

I was mostly goofing around, but they were also using the exact same logo to treatment unadorned for both Wii U and 3ds for almost all of development, to the best of my memory.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

I was mostly goofing around, but they were also using the exact same logo to treatment unadorned for both Wii U and 3ds for almost all of development, to the best of my memory.

Confirmed, confirmed: Jake is color blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Somebody linked me to this:
http://advances.realtimerendering.com/destiny/siggraph2014/heads/index.html#syllabus
...and I couldn't help but think of Idle Thumbs episode 168.

• Locked thread