Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... this is a thing that's happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

How was this something that paid storytellers needed to have written down?

You say that like it's basic, but please tell me when Bendis has the X-Men get off Namek read Xavier's will.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I just got the Moon Knight Epic Collection, never read anything of the character before. I've only read the first two stories in the book - I had no idea he started out as a hired hand to take out the Werewolf. Just flipping through there's a ton of Sienkiewicz - lots of his covers in the back too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm watching Law and Order, and the insane, rambling, right-wing, racist, muslim-hating psycho killer of the episode is called Frank Miller.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This is pretty rad. In recent years I haven't thought of Squirrel Girl as anything more than a kind of annoying and played-out joke, but I've always dug the sort of wacky but down-to-earth sincerity of the character. The breadth of style in the other All-New NOW titles gives me hope. That link mentions her fighting cosmic threats but I really hope there's a nice Ms. Marvel/Hawkeye low-key and homey feel to the book as well.

I really dig the Erica Henderson art though, it's got just the right playfulness.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TheManWithNoName posted:

I just got the Moon Knight Epic Collection, never read anything of the character before. I've only read the first two stories in the book - I had no idea he started out as a hired hand to take out the Werewolf. Just flipping through there's a ton of Sienkiewicz - lots of his covers in the back too.
Do yourself a favour and pick up the just-released tbp of the Ellis/Shalvey/Bellaire run. It's fantastic too.

I was flipping through that epic collection last week too, I might pick it up because I love me some Sienkiewicz.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ror posted:

This is pretty rad. In recent years I haven't thought of Squirrel Girl as anything more than a kind of annoying and played-out joke, but I've always dug the sort of wacky but down-to-earth sincerity of the character. The breadth of style in the other All-New NOW titles gives me hope. That link mentions her fighting cosmic threats but I really hope there's a nice Ms. Marvel/Hawkeye low-key and homey feel to the book as well.

I really dig the Erica Henderson art though, it's got just the right playfulness.

When do we get a Hellcat ongoing, though? :colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8vUBTn3A4

The Russians, they get Batman.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm watching Law and Order, and the insane, rambling, right-wing, racist, muslim-hating psycho killer of the episode is called Frank Miller.

It's almost as though the man who wrote Gwen Stacy going off the bridge was one of the producers...

radlum
May 13, 2013
http://comicsalliance.com/u-s-supreme-court-declines-to-hear-shuster-familys-superman-ownership-case/

So it seems the Kirby family was smarter? I know little about the American court system, so does this mean that this procedure is done for? Does the Shuster family have any other way to get their claim viewed by a court? I find it surprising that this is being pushed by Shuster's nephew, claiming that Shuster's siblings had no rights to sign an agreement with DC, I mean, at least the Kirby suit was pushed by a more direct descendant than a nephew

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

radlum posted:

http://comicsalliance.com/u-s-supreme-court-declines-to-hear-shuster-familys-superman-ownership-case/

So it seems the Kirby family was smarter? I know little about the American court system, so does this mean that this procedure is done for? Does the Shuster family have any other way to get their claim viewed by a court? I find it surprising that this is being pushed by Shuster's nephew, claiming that Shuster's siblings had no rights to sign an agreement with DC, I mean, at least the Kirby suit was pushed by a more direct descendant than a nephew

Not a lawyer, but I believe this means that the case that was brought is done. There was a judgement in favor of Shuster, that was appealed and overturned, and now there are no further appeals. Folks can bring a different case, but that starts the whole process over again, and presumably Shuster started with the strongest case possible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

radlum posted:

It doesn't mean the Kirby family was necessarily smarter, just that they were offered a settlement they felt was acceptable. The article explains the outcome of the Shuster case: the 9th District Court's decision stands and they'll have to find a new argument to use if they want to further pursue the case.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

radlum posted:

Theoretically, they can try again. In practice? It's dead.

As a broad rule of thumb, the Supreme Court decides to hear cases where lower courts rulings are ambiguous or contradictory, or where there's significant pressure to lay down firm case law on an issue. If they decline to hear a case it means that they feel there's nothing for them to add to the existing rulings. Now the Shusters could come up with a different legal angle for an appeal and try again, but you'd expect that their attorneys would have fired anything they could come up with in their initial filing with the court to try to get their attention since it's really expensive and time consuming to get just one shot.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Waterhaul posted:

Depends on how you feel about his only creator owned work:
George Pérez: Crimson Plague [...] deals with a genetically altered young woman whose blood is toxic and corrosive to the touch.
Well that doesn't sound too bad. Could even be interesting. Is it a hindrance when she fights alongside her friends or-

quote:

The thing that makes this a little different from the usual fare is that when she reaches her menstrual cycle, that toxicity becomes an airborne virus capable of destroying an entire planet in the course of a day. That’s the plague. One of the problems is, she’s getting closer and closer to earth.

Ok. I mean that's really fuckin' weird and pretty gross, and I'll never read it, but I guess I could see how-

quote:

In the story, the character’s only 5 actual years old. She had grown to full adult size in 5 years and so her cycle has yet to be measured; they don’t know what frequency it is. There’s no way of finding out until it’s too late. From there on, things get a little hairy..
Nope. Go gently caress off. You are too fuckin' weird George.

Jesus Christ, at what point do we as rational thinking people get to say, as a society, "these are not the thoughts and ideas of a sane person"? I'm not saying that he has to be institutionalized, but...I don't know how to finish this sentence. He's not doing anything illegal or immoral (that I can see). He's just really loving creepy. I started out this morning not knowing anything about this guy, and now, I can't get this horrible vision of caustic menstruation out of my head.

gently caress that guy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Jesus Christ, at what point do we as rational thinking people get to say, as a society, "these are not the thoughts and ideas of a sane person"? I'm not saying that he has to be institutionalized, but...I don't know how to finish this sentence. He's not doing anything illegal or immoral (that I can see). He's just really loving creepy. I started out this morning not knowing anything about this guy, and now, I can't get this horrible vision of caustic menstruation out of my head.

gently caress that guy.

What about guys who write horror or crime novels? They can be terribly creative when it comes to disturbing things.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Not sure that caustic menstrual cycles are any worse than Heavy Flo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Could even be interesting. Is it a hindrance when she fights alongside her friends or-

Ok. I mean that's really fuckin' weird and pretty gross, and I'll never read it, but I guess I could see how-

Nope. Go gently caress off. You are too fuckin' weird George.

gently caress that guy.

The thing about creative people is that they don't usually think on the same wavelength as other people. To most an insane idea will sound...well insane. But to someone who's job and ambitions is to create they are coming up with tons of ideas every day. Usually they can figure which ones work and which ones don't. Sometimes though, they get fixated on an idea no matter how bad and just run with it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

prefect posted:

What about guys who write horror or crime novels? They can be terribly creative when it comes to disturbing things.

Maybe it's just me and my old fashioned Midwest sensibilities, but something about a story centering around a five year old with toxic menstruation that kills people on a pandemic scale that I find just inherently off putting.

I don't question the horror or crime novel guys abilities to be gross or horrific and show a really creative disturbing array of things I've never imagined before. I'll admit that I have a fairly weak stomach when it comes to stories and pictures involving body horror/transformation (but dismemberment/blood in general, not so much). But this is some of the worst I've ever heard of. Granted, I don't go hunting for this kind of stuff.

I think that focusing on menstruation as a delivery mechanic is super misogynistic too, and the story doesn't benefit from it at all. It's just shock value & it's just repulsive. Unless he gets off on women on their periods, which is gross too, but in it's own way.

And I guess the fact that he had to specify that all these things were happening to a "5 year old girl" that is the cherry on this particular poo poo sundae. OK, let's even give the benefit of the doubt here and break this down. It's not a little girl, it's a genetically modified alien life form. And while it's only been around for 5 Earth Years, well, that's 20 Space Years. Plus she's been tested on and manipulated, so really she's the victim.

If any of those excuses mattered, he wouldn't have had to point out very specifically that this was a 5 year old girl. He, again, just wants to dream up the most repugnant idea that he can it seems.

Maybe it's all the layering of all those things together that George has talked about that's getting to me personally. Maybe I just don't "get" it. Or maybe this is his intention, because, after all, here I am, talking about his product, regardless of my intent to buy it or not.

The whole thing just makes me kind of ill. Maybe I'm the problem. Maybe I'm too sensitive over what someone else can make money off of. But I really hope that's not the case and I'm not alone here.

Was Taters posted:

A good point, but I think Heavy Flo was designed as a joke/gross out character from the get go.

Look at it this way. What if you took Superman and changed nothing from his origin, except you added that when he has his first wet dream, he levels all of Smallville, killing everyone he's ever known or loved? Now that's gross, stupid , immature and vaguely sexually related. Is it deserving of being fleshed out and put into print?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 7, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

The whole thing just makes me kind of ill. Maybe I'm the problem. Maybe I'm too sensitive over what someone else can make money off of. But I reall hope that's not the case and I'm not alone here.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong or a bad person or anything like that; I hope I didn't give that impression. I was just surprised by the strength of your reaction, since it seemed to me that there were a lot of crazy ideas people had cooked up. Apologies if I came across as hostile.

Was Taters posted:

I had never heard of Flo before, but a quick Google image search had me simultaneously laughing and closing my browser tab as quickly as I could. :xd:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I feel like I'd have to see that idea in execution before I could really judge, because it could either be handled fairly well or extremely, EXTREMELY poorly.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
While I happily live inside existing boundaries, I do appreciate that it is important for artists and culture in general that those boundaries get pushed.
I also appreciate any editor who can hear that pitch with a straight face, decline it, and still have Perez do their art.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CzarChasm posted:

Look at it this way. What if you took Superman and changed nothing from his origin, except you added that when he has his first wet dream, he levels all of Smallville, killing everyone he's ever known or loved? Now that's gross, stupid , immature and vaguely sexually related. Is it deserving of being fleshed out and put into print?

I can't believe Mark Millar hasn't written that already. Or JMS.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think George is probably happier and more artistically fulfilled doing his weird pervert comics than drawing the same Avengers spread over and over. I say, go on with your perv comics, George!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, his current book is apparently an all-girl cross-time metal band team of warriors battling... possibly a thinly veiled version of Crimson Plague?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think there was a 2-3 issue run of the Avengers where the lineup was something like, Cap, Gilgamesh, Vision, Sue and Reed. Weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ball's in your court, Grant Morrison. I want this guy in Multiversity on the double.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think there was a 2-3 issue run of the Avengers where the lineup was something like, Cap, Gilgamesh, Vision, Sue and Reed. Weird.

Didn't E&C like just mention that?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gaz-L posted:

Well, his current book is apparently an all-girl cross-time metal band team of warriors battling... possibly a thinly veiled version of Crimson Plague?

Kind of. Crimson Plague only lasted two issues because nobody would buy it so he's now moved on drawing comics of his favourite female cosplayers instead.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The fact that Death Menstruator sold badly enough to only last two issues makes me smile.

I was honestly expecting some Tarrot level staying power of perversion.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Tarot is amazing and if you say different I'll go find the panels where she inner-monologues to herself about how much she hopes the sun is enjoying looking at her tits again

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tarot is awful.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the new Wonder Woman run is my favourite comic book since I can remember.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rick Remender is on the new episode of Brian Posehn's DnD podcast.
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sweet-potatoes/

Wendell
May 11, 2003

bowmore posted:

I think the new Wonder Woman run is my favourite comic book since I can remember.

Yeah, I agree with this with all my heart.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh poo poo. I dunno if it was a secret or I wasn't paying attention, but Kelley Jones is illustrating the backups in the new Batman arc starting today! :D

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bowmore posted:

Didn't it just come off a run everybody liked too?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't it just come off a run everybody liked too?

Haha no. They're talking about the Azarello/Chiang run which there's one more issue of. Then it goes to Finch/Finch which I don't think I will be buying.

The previous run was a bad Gail Simone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, I thought that one was done already because I already saw people complaining about changes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Finch n' Finch coalition is almost guaranteed to be terrible. I guess it could just be bland though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, I thought that one was done already because I already saw people complaining about changes.

The changes haven't happened yet, but they look egregious enough to warrant complaining about early.

• Locked thread