Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Nah this old ugly thing ( although I still think with a good paint job they are cool)

It looks like a foot for an Eldar Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I would pay so much money now for a Vultron like 40k model.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Hollismason posted:

That's a weird knight there though, I've never seen that before although I think it's a custom build maybe?

That looks like an old Armorcast knight with maybe a custom head.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Green, blue, or grey are all great choices because they take washes really really well

Painting my hammy hams slowly, but this is the utter truth.

Basically making army mans, except for the commissars.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm a fan of the Imperial Russian look:

Green, blue, or grey are all great choices because they take washes really really well

Now that is pretty cool, probably have to dig up a guide or something on how to paint a scheme like that because they would slot in rather nicely with my regular guardsmen with their green uniforms.

Also the latest FW newsflash is out with what Solar Auxilia models are going to be available at Warhammer Fest. In this case a Lasrifle section of twenty models for £68, a Dracosan Armoured Transport for £76 and a Basilisk and Medusa for £55 each as well as Tank crews with pintle weapons for £16.

Not sure I want to buy a Dracosan after see the price tag on that.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Dude, these guys right here...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, if I played IG/AM I'd want to play with those models. Those are super cool. Super super cool.

DE chat, though: have been reading this: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/10/dark-eldar-good-bad-and-ugly-part-1.html

and watching this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2YjxnUHc14

(he's got a few other videos about the new codex, and is doing a 10-15 minute video for each unit in the book, he's only on his 4th or 5th)

and I'm really really pumped up for a 'test match' 1750 pt game tomorrow against our Dark Angel player.

So far I've got:
a tooled-up Archon (Shadowfield, Huskblade and WWP) in a Venom with 4 Incubi (my old go-to assaulty unit, I know it's not optimized but I don't have anything to make up a Court yet)
5 Raiders with splinter racks, aether sails and loaded with 10 Kabalites (8 splinter rifles, a dark lance and a blaster)
2 squads of 3 Mandrakes to outflank (not Outflank, just outflank) or cause trouble in the middle of the board
2 squads of 5 Scourges with 4 haywire blasters each (I HATE THE DARK ANGEL LAND RAIDER BANNER BS there I've said it)
and an extra Venom because why not

and I still have more points to spend! I might get another Archon with just a WWP to ride with one of the Raiders.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

Oh jesus Christ SRM how many photos did you upload on DakkaDakka, all impressive but do not help when I'm looking for Orks.

SRM he has 3 , 3 LandRaiders

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/480754-Classic%20Ultramarines.html

Oh yeah, this guy's got some pretty legit stuff. I think one of those Raiders is converted up to be a Spartan too.

And I've uploaded pretty much every ham photo I've taken to Dakka, which is well over 1000 at this point. Aside from battle reports against my buddy's old school Orks, there's not much Orky of mine there though!

Also it's a bummer that those sick Genestealer Cult limos weren't regular models you could buy.

Also that same buddy of mine with the retro Orks has some retro Eldar and has an Armorcast Wave Serpent. It's a silly model. He's been a terrible/wonderful influence on me and my ham collecting.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Any interesting new fluff or good stories in the DE codex?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Arbite posted:

There's a cool bit with a planetary map that shows how a raiding group attacked a planet. Haven't read it yet but it looks pretty good. Plus lots of kabal fluff, with color samples and things like that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's got better than average fluff and some cool maps, what's strange and I've said this before is that there are ton of named Characters and stuff like " Lemme tell you bout this awesome dude" stories and then it's like " Oh I want to play that guy in a game" , "Nope sorry not in the book figure it out with your lovely AP3 agonizer, suck it nerds!".Honestly, sitting down and reading the Dark Eldar book it's got a really interesting Mechanic with the PnP chart.Just game wise the army is going to play differently than others, it rewards specifically the longer game and feints and harassment.

I dunno I like that mechanic a lot and think it's super interesting way to make the army really unique and give it a different play style than any other army. Plus the actual army is really interesting to with the newer wargear courts etc..

I'll go weep in the corner with my Chaos Daemons when I start getting shot at with Torment Launchers or whatever.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 8, 2014

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
For most armies, Forge World makes absurd bad rear end tanks. For Dark Eldar, they make single on-foot models.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They make that cool big raider with sails and poo poo actually that's all they make I just looked.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

They make that cool big raider with sails and poo poo actually that's all they make I just looked.
It's like a big Catamaran that flies. It's kinda neat looking but doesn't make much sense. The whole point of Dark Eldar vehicles is to be fast and light, and making a heavier variant just seems counterintuitive. Just give me Jabba's desert palace.

Hollismason posted:

It's got better than average fluff and some cool maps, what's strange and I've said this before is that there are ton of named Characters and stuff like " Lemme tell you bout this awesome dude" stories and then it's like " Oh I want to play that guy in a game" , "Nope sorry not in the book figure it out with your lovely AP3 agonizer, suck it nerds!".Honestly, sitting down and reading the Dark Eldar book it's got a really interesting Mechanic with the PnP chart.Just game wise the army is going to play differently than others, it rewards specifically the longer game and feints and harassment.
Just because they name a dude doesn't mean they need to give you rules for the guy - they're there to give you ideas for your own characters. Forge the narrative and whatnot. They might not have rules for Captain Invictus (the Space Marine, not the goon :v:) anymore, but there's nothing stopping me from giving a Terminator captain a combi-plasma and a power sword and saying that's the guy.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Hell, sometimes they even make models for named characters but don't give them any special rules (lookin' at you, Titus and Sidonus).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

Hell, sometimes they even make models for named characters but don't give them any special rules (lookin' at you, Titus and Sidonus).
Those were just conversions from the Sternguard kit, at least the only ones I've ever seen have been. If they made cool models for them I'd have them already.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Hey, at least Wyches still make really cool Death Cult Assassin conversions! :cheeky:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I started constructing my Dark Eldar warriors from the 3rd ed starter last night.

Spiky bits. Spiky bits everywhere.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That guys got some serious man boobs.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

I'll go weep in the corner with my Chaos Daemons when I start getting shot at with Torment Launchers or whatever.

Sometimes not actually being Fearless is good, sometimes it's bad.

Don't worry, though, no DE player is actually gonna pay points for that thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shock Rock dark eldar owns

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

Those were just conversions from the Sternguard kit, at least the only ones I've ever seen have been. If they made cool models for them I'd have them already.

Well, I don't mean conversions to be exactly like they are in the video game, I mean that my impression was that those two models were supposed to be sort of an easter egg version of Titus and Sidonus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd love to paint my Kriegers like these because they look awesome but they seem to be slightly above my current painting skill level for me to really pull it off well.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
this is the taurox conversion kit i spoke of earlier: http://theimperialpatrol.blogspot.dk/2014/04/taurox-half-track-conversion-kit.html and it looks drat good. i hope they get it finished soon, because i might get a taurox or two, they're really versatile for their points cost, if you can manage to hide them behind some terrain :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frobbe posted:

this is the taurox conversion kit i spoke of earlier: http://theimperialpatrol.blogspot.dk/2014/04/taurox-half-track-conversion-kit.html and it looks drat good. i hope they get it finished soon, because i might get a taurox or two, they're really versatile for their points cost, if you can manage to hide them behind some terrain :)

Heck, give that kit as an all wheel conversion and I'm sold. Not to keen on the Taurox as a half-track in generally and just see it as a wheeled MRAP instead.

I'd would probably also slap on one of the autocannons as a pintle mount as well to keep in line with that image.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd love to paint my Kriegers like these because they look awesome but they seem to be slightly above my current painting skill level for me to really pull it off well.

This looks super basic. All you need is to have a solid base coat then a baic wash and you are done.

If I were to have a stab at the colours it would be

Overcoat- Bleached bone with a agrax earthshade wash
Mask and bandages etc- bleached bone with a sepia wash
Pants - Fortress grey with a black wash
Metal- chainmail with a black wash.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arbite posted:

There are two new longer stories about DE campaigns that are pretty neat, and this really cool ongoing bit about Khaine's Gate, a big sealed portal to the Warp in Commoragh that begins to act all funky as the end times draw nearer. In an ironic twist, Malys's forces are attacking Vect's forces that are guarding it because she thinks he's plotting to open it instead of using his resources to keep it sealed (and make sure his enemies are between him and whatever comes out if the seals fail).

Really, all the new codices have been full of cool fluff. The SW book gives a lot of neat details about their homeworld. The GK book adjusted the Drago fluff, toning down its ridiculousness and making him seem even more hard rear end than before. Also, the Blood Tide stuff has been cleansed of silly sexism.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

koreban posted:

I started constructing my Dark Eldar warriors from the 3rd ed starter last night.

Spiky bits. Spiky bits everywhere.

I think I still have a bunch of these guys on sprues, so seeing these brings back the memories. I also have a metal Drazhar, which seems to be the only model left of the old range that's still available. Except for these lovely ladies. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Dark-Eldar-Prisoners

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's an entire section of the Grey Knights codex that feels like an apology for that blood tide crap, so that's decent? Shame about the half-hundred point plus paladins, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

There's an entire section of the Grey Knights codex that feels like an apology for that blood tide crap, so that's decent? Shame about the half-hundred point plus paladins, though.

Is it just a page of the Grey Knights highfiving SoBs or what?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is it just a page of the Grey Knights highfiving SoBs or what?

The Grey Knights show up at this planet that's been totally corrupted by Nurgle and land at the only point of purity left - a small SoB convent still managing to hold out. There's a little tension, some talk of Sisters having to 'sacrifice' and stuff...and then the GK Grand Master says "HEY LET'S FIGHT NURGLE TOGETHER." And they do and they win. :/

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, pretty much. SoBs still get to pull on their martyr imagery by sacrificing their lives in glorious battle to hold back the Chaos tides to give Draigo and his troops time and opportunity to end a demonic invasion, which fits much better than portrayed-as-Chaos-immune Grey Knights having to kill a bunch of battle ready chaos-immune warriors to make themselves resist Chaos better, let alone the worse aspects of that bit of fiction.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

That guys got some serious man boobs.

Female models. Surprised me when I started looking over the sprues. They've got boob armor, but it's not horrible and I'm going to like having non-segregated mix-gender units.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

This looks super basic. All you need is to have a solid base coat then a baic wash and you are done.

If I were to have a stab at the colours it would be

Overcoat- Bleached bone with a agrax earthshade wash
Mask and bandages etc- bleached bone with a sepia wash
Pants - Fortress grey with a black wash
Metal- chainmail with a black wash.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind then.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind then.

Alternatively, it looks like you could pull something similar but even more simple with something like this:

Overcoat: Steel Legion Drab / Graveyard Earth
Mask, bandages etc etc etc: Ushabti Bone / Bleached Bone (BB is a bit brighter than UB, closer to Screaming Skull)
Pants: Dawnstone / Codex Grey
Metal: Leadbelcher/ Boltgun Metal

Wash the whole of the mini with Agrax Earthshade / Devlan Mud.

Optional highlights:

Do some basic highlighting with the original colors and maybe something a notch lighter if you want to go for a two-step highlight (Tallarn Sand - Screaming Skull - Administratum Grey - Ironbreaker, respectively). If you want the gas masks eye lenses to pop out, do little dabs of red or blue, or maybe even jewel them up.

For Imperial Guard infantry, the simpler the better - 'cause you'll be doing a LOT of them!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

I've seen those models before; I think they were actually painted almost entirely with washes, either here or in a thread on Dakka. Do the armor grey, wash that black. The coat might even just be the primer white with a brown wash and the sleeves get a second covering. The guns are just a metal color with a wash, and the pants are just two coats of a wash too. The hardest part about painting them like this would be waiting for the washes to dry. Beaten by a post or two, but as I said, I've seen the models before and vaguely remember the process.

Also it's cool they toned down some of the GK fluff to be less stupid. Good on ya, geedubs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frobbe posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x6-Wheel-Conversion-Kit-/261461279894

This guy is a legit US seller who makes bits for 40k vehicles. That kit does exactly what the Victoria one does, pretty much.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Dropping a link to a nice video tutorial I found - it's not the same color scheme but it shouldn't be too hard to adapt. If you went with a light brown coat, just paint that Steel Legion Drab, too, and wash the entire mini Agrax Earthshade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcG5iGk0Fo

I like this guy's painting tutorials, he doesn't sound like he's a primary English speaker but he's pretty easy to follow along and uses nice basic techniques on his minis.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, as you say, the entire 40k conceit pretty much pops like a soap bubble the moment you try to incorporate a realistic, reasonable attitude towards gravity wells. Other things too, of course, but gravity wells are a big one.

Not really, just assume the Imperium and most other factions in 40k are essentially post-scarcity in terms of cheap energy, with the primary limitations being rate of manufacture, peak power output, and technical knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I've seen those models before; I think they were actually painted almost entirely with washes, either here or in a thread on Dakka. Do the armor grey, wash that black. The coat might even just be the primer white with a brown wash and the sleeves get a second covering. The guns are just a metal color with a wash, and the pants are just two coats of a wash too. The hardest part about painting them like this would be waiting for the washes to dry. Beaten by a post or two, but as I said, I've seen the models before and vaguely remember the process.

Also it's cool they toned down some of the GK fluff to be less stupid. Good on ya, geedubs.

Okay that is a bit over my painting skill I think.

• Locked thread