Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randler posted:

BECOME A SINGLE ISSUE VOTER LIKE US. TURN OUT FOR WHAT.

Y'all country be weird, yo. :allears:

Also the exactly what issue you'd think they'd turn out for at first glance.

OK here's a controversial question that I'm afraid to broach to my two gay roommates. What's up with the "flaming effeminate" affectation of gay men? Where does that come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean I get that it's probably selection bias. If 10% of gay men wore a big red feather on their heads then you'd notice them more and you'd say, hmm all gay people wear red feathers, but it's just you aren't noticing the 90% of gay men that don't wear a feather. Of my roommates, you'd only guess one was gay if you met them both, but for those who affect the "stereotypical gay" persona, again, what's up with that?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Also the exactly what issue you'd think they'd turn out for at first glance.

OK here's a controversial question that I'm afraid to broach to my two gay roommates. What's up with the "flaming effeminate" affectation of gay men? Where does that come from?

as a gay man idk, but i think it had something to do with that if gay men were feminine and ridiculous it was less threatening? i feel like i read that somewhere.

edit: full disclosure, my grindr profile does not say masc only

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You like those smooth twink boys huh.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

not necessarily but i just think it's hella rude to say "masc only, no fems, no blacks, no fatties" on your profile. like if those are your preferences fine but you don't have to broadcast it. it's not like you're required to respond to messages.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
"No fatties" isn't actually a statement about preferences (because fatties are less prefered by default :biotruths:) but a statement by the user about how he is so much better than the rest of the apps pool and don't you ever forget it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Randler posted:

"No fatties" isn't actually a statement about preferences (because fatties are less prefered by default :biotruths:) but a statement by the user about how he is so much better than the rest of the apps pool and don't you ever forget it.

yeah this too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I mean I get that it's probably selection bias. If 10% of gay men wore a big red feather on their heads then you'd notice them more and you'd say, hmm all gay people wear red feathers, but it's just you aren't noticing the 90% of gay men that don't wear a feather. Of my roommates, you'd only guess one was gay if you met them both, but for those who affect the "stereotypical gay" persona, again, what's up with that?
I'm a lesbian so I can't definitively speak for all my homo brothers, but in some cases that's just how they are. Sometimes it's exaggerated for effect. Like maybe you're a little bit swishy and then push it to full combustion so there's no mistaking the gayness. And yeah, you probably notice it more because acting like anything other than what we define as "a man" is going to stand out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zoux posted:

Here's a tip NIDA and all the other federal anti-drug agencies lie all the time.

That's, um, not true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm a lesbian so I can't definitively speak for all my homo brothers, but in some cases that's just how they are. Sometimes it's exaggerated for effect. Like maybe you're a little bit swishy and then push it to full combustion so there's no mistaking the gayness. And yeah, you probably notice it more because acting like anything other than what we define as "a man" is going to stand out.

Well my question for you is what's up with ultra butch lesbians who try to emulate every societal marker for "masculinity".

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Kristov posted:

So... you're saying I should cash in my 401k and go on a self-destructive drug bender that will untimately end my life?

Also, tbp, wtf is up with your esoteric acronyms?

Wait, does that mean im catching the old?

What do you mean esoteric

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

That's, um, not true.

Shut the gently caress up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mdemone posted:

How can that 25% figure possibly be true? It seems way too...high.

Could be, let's parse out the descriptors though to cover our bases:

25% of all
-Drug Related
-Fatal Accidents
-involved Marijuana

Does the 'involvement' of marijuana explicitly mean that marijuana had anything to do with the accident?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

huffpo.jpg

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Well my question for you is what's up with ultra butch lesbians who try to emulate every societal marker for "masculinity".
Rejection of societal roles? Gender nonconformity? Pantyhose are an abomination and should never be worn by anyone?

Seriously, probably a lot of the same. Like, I don't find most women's clothing or makeup appealing in the slightest. I refuse to wear dresses. I like traditionally masculine things (sports, cars, videogames, etc) but I don't consciously think about my preferences in the context of smashing the patriarchy or whatever. I like what I like, these things just happen to be what we consider masculine tastes. Also in cases of the extremely butch where the worst aspects of traditional masculinity are being aped, I think it may be a case of societal conditioning where "femininity" is considered to be inferior and bad and that message has been internalized.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I imagine it's like the normal people I've seen only spend a couple years in Texas and come back with a drawl. They say its a more comfortable way of speaking. I don't think anyone's ever accused a transatlantic accent of being 'comfortable'.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Could be, let's parse out the descriptors though to cover our bases:

25% of all
-Drug Related
-Fatal Accidents
-involved Marijuana

Does the 'involvement' of marijuana explicitly mean that marijuana had anything to do with the accident?

Yeah it's something like this. I bet what they do is they take all the fatal accidents where anyone has any drugs in their toxicology report (alcohol isn't a drug for this purpose), and find that in 25% of those cases marijuana is present. Which makes sense, because marijuana is probably the most common drug besides alcohol. I'm surprised this doesn't lead to a higher percentage, actually.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
They do this bullshit with alcohol too. Did you have 2 drinks at dinner, then get T-boned by someone texting on your way home? Congratulations! Your accident is now "alcohol-related."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
which is even stupider with weed because THC stays in your system for weeks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Ebola man died :smith:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zoux posted:

The Ebola man died :smith:

RIP. you tried to save them :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah it's something like this. I bet what they do is they take all the fatal accidents where anyone has any drugs in their toxicology report (alcohol isn't a drug for this purpose), and find that in 25% of those cases marijuana is present. Which makes sense, because marijuana is probably the most common drug besides alcohol. I'm surprised this doesn't lead to a higher percentage, actually.

That's not the methodology used. You lost the bet. :commissar:

(PDF with what they claim is their source (or rather, claim is there source in what they claim in as their source. Layers, man.))

Randler fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 8, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
weed was only made illegal because blacks and mexicans liked it a lot. now we have to find goot post-facto justifications for why it should remain illegal like it makes teens disobey their parents and stay out all night

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also denver is the capital of beer. i get to go to denver on business trips frequently and it is rad. denver is rad. good beer, legal pot. thanks denver

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It'll get legalized eventually.

I just think it's super disingenuous to say "Weed sends all these people to the hospital" which makes people think that it's dangerous, and they're going to the ER because of weed freak outs.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The more noticeable risk of "drivers with weed" is that an extremely large chunk of them are actually "drivers with weed and alcohol at the same time". MISCHKONSUM! :argh:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

no one ever shows up to my office hours guys :smith:

Savor your freedom, do some readings or post more.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

I like to imagine that all of your posts are literally written by Laika. :3:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Savor your freedom, do some readings or post more.

Nobody goes to your office hours either, then?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not Laika.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

It's not Laika.

:monocle: What?! Then who is it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My favy comics character

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

tbp posted:

What do you mean esoteric

I dunno, seems like your posts occasionally seem incomprehensible to me because I dont immediately recognize some of the acronyms you use. So the word 'esoteric' popped in my head as the word to describe them because my ego refuses to let me think thats my fault somehow.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

It'll get legalized eventually.

I just think it's super disingenuous to say "Weed sends all these people to the hospital" which makes people think that it's dangerous, and they're going to the ER because of weed freak outs.

yeah the only way weed can send you to a hospital is if you get too high and have panic attacks or end up doing something really stupid. in georgia there's some law "shane's law" where a kid named shane smoked way too much fake weed in a hot tub, passed out and drowned. IMO "don't dose on drugs in a body of water" should be taught in high school in terms of simple life hacks to not die stupidly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kristov posted:

I dunno, seems like your posts occasionally seem incomprehensible to me because I dont immediately recognize some of the acronyms you use. So the word 'esoteric' popped in my head as the word to describe them because my ego refuses to let me think thats my fault somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1DZKOeZhI&t=12s

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

that fake weed exists is probably one of the stronger arguments for its legalization

"well we could legalize this thing with absolutely minimal health effects or we could not and let people smoke imported powder from China"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh they're illegalizing fake weed too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that fake weed exists is probably one of the stronger arguments for its legalization

"well we could legalize this thing with absolutely minimal health effects or we could not and let people smoke imported powder from China"

i once overdosed on a synthetic cannabanoid, realized i was too high to summon help for myself, and simply laid down waiting to die

zoux posted:

Oh they're illegalizing fake weed too.

you have to make specific subtances illegal and organic chemistry is always quicker than legislation. this is just a feedback loop to cause people to buy even more insane powder off the internet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fake weed is actually way more dangerous than real weed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah but then the whatever chemical companies in china are making the poo poo just throw some more elements or molecules on the end of it and the process starts all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Kristov posted:

idk i use a lot of acronym when typing online...i just kind of always did it that way

• Locked thread