Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Niton posted:

The bottom of the power curve still has to exist, man. Would you really rather have them aim for "probably not too good" instead of "playable, but weak" for filler cards?
I get serious feel bads when I crack a pack in booster draft and I get a laughably bad mythic. I mean sure, they can't all be winners, but doofy looking loch ness monster is worse than most commons. The only thing mythic about it is that they tacked on a bunch of irrelevant abilities. I've made the giant fish from m15 work as a control finisher, and this dude doesn't hold a candle to giant fish from m15. I guess I'm just opposed to the idea of filler mythics to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I get serious feel bads when I crack a pack in booster draft and I get a laughably bad mythic. I mean sure, they can't all be winners, but doofy looking loch ness monster is worse than most commons. The only thing mythic about it is that they tacked on a bunch of irrelevant abilities. I've made the giant fish from m15 work as a control finisher, and this dude doesn't hold a candle to giant fish from m15. I guess I'm just opposed to the idea of filler mythics to begin with.

The agony and ecstasy of "sort by rarity, oh man a mythic, oh Archangel's Light" happened to me four times during DKA sealed release events.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly pearl lake ancient is really good for limited if you have the sort of deck that can gum up the ground for days with big dumb idiots and removal.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I don't know man, it seems to me that you don't need to go that far with all the giant midrange creatures at every rarity. It would work better in something like a core set where we don't have 5/5 creatures on turn 5 as a matter of course. It really sticks out when giant durdle monsters are so prevalent.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dungeon Ecology posted:

A few things to note before you jump in -- it may take some time before you get the cards you want. It depends on whether you have the points to afford the card, whether that card is being offered by someone, and whether they're willing to ship to you.

I've been offering stuff like Elesh Norn, Sylvan Library, and Karn Liberated in the trading thread to no avail, so so far it's been more of an issue of people actually having cards than me not having enough 'ammo' to secure one. :v: Fair point, though.

quote:

Also, officially, Puca Trade only supports trades in Mint/Near Mint cards and only English cards (although I found lots of people who are OK with receiving non-English cards).

That's also fine, I don't have much in the way of foreign cards anyway.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Man, just watched the modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck on CFB. That poo poo is hilarious.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gyshall posted:

Man, just watched the modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck on CFB. That poo poo is hilarious.

I watched one video of the set and realized every single one of them was going to be exactly the same

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, pretty much exactly that. You just list the cards you have, and the cards you want, and their system matches you up with people who want cards you have.
All you do is send cards to people, and in turn, people send cards to you. No money involved, aside from the postage costs, which you eat.

I live in rural Japan, and I have a tough time getting to the nearest shop, whose selection is pretty limited anyway, so for me it's a really useful tool.

I may need to check it out again, then. I signed up waaaay back in the day but haven't logged in in ages since I couldn't find anyone anywhere nearby who was using it. If there are more people in (or willing to ship to) Japan nowadays I could definitely see myself getting good use out of it. Or did you just sign up, send cards and wait for people's lust for points to override their reluctance to ship internationally?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Hopping Ghost posted:

Or did you just sign up, send cards and wait for people's lust for points to override their reluctance to ship internationally?

This is pretty much exactly what I did (from Canada) and it's working out perfectly. The one-way nature of the system somehow makes people way more willing to just put a card in a taped toploader and use a regular mail stamp. Without the tracking + insurance overhead that people insist on when trading, it's actually really cheap.

redux
Apr 23, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Could you post your bug delver list that uses them? I've wanted to play that deck for a while but thought dig thru time was better for it compared to the other delver decks. I've been running 1-2 dig in UWR modern and miracles but might change to 2-3 cruiser miracles in the version that doesn't use snapcaster.

I was running Rich Shay's list from the Invitational prior to Cruise being printed (4 hymn main, 1-1 sylvan split, 1-1 jace split) but have been trying out the list found here: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/cruising-to-victory-in-new-jersey/ the last few days.

I love Hymn more than is probably reasonable but I think in a world where everyone is Cruising Thoughtseize is just going to do much more work. It's possible Dig would actually be better, I didn't have them at the time so didn't get to test them, I do like that idea that Brainstorm makes card quantity over quality a bit more attractive though. Often times I am casting Cruise into 2 more spells on turn 4 or 5, which Dig has a harder time accomplishing.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

In case anyone missed it, Puca skims a little bit off the top every trade by managing manually buy/sell prices. I am not slamming someone's need to eat I just found it interesting.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Attorney at Funk posted:

I watched one video of the set and realized every single one of them was going to be exactly the same

There was one game where an opponent interacted by Abruptly Decaying his Ascendancy. He found another one either that turn or the next and killed him anyway :\

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

There was one game where an opponent interacted by Abruptly Decaying his Ascendancy. He found another one either that turn or the next and killed him anyway :\

Yeah, the deck is simply a juggernaut, you can't really disrupt it, because the whole deck is cantrips and mana dorks, so even if you get rid of the titular enchantment, there are approximately 6 more in the deck (2 more main board + 4 glittering wish) that are easily found, they have an answer to Linvala (Fiery Justice), and even if you are able to resolve both a Linvala and a Spellskite, they can deal one damage to the spellskite to prevent it from redirecting. Really, the only way to beat it is to outrace it, and that is a VERY difficult thing to do since the deck can go off on turn 2, and almost always goes off on turn 3.

I will be shocked if Jeskai Ascendancy remains unbanned.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We have a gentleman's agreement in one shop to not use the deck for fear of an arms race and a boring 2 months until it gets banned. Several of us already had it and sold it and we still have enough to equip several decks' worth if some jerk breaks the agreement.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

We have a gentleman's agreement in one shop to not use the deck for fear of an arms race and a boring 2 months until it gets banned. Several of us already had it and sold it and we still have enough to equip several decks' worth if some jerk breaks the agreement.

I'm going to an IQ with some pretty decent prizes Nov 1st, $400 cash and a box of Modern masters for 1st. I think I'm going to play burn, I feel its in a good place overall, and really well positioned against this pile. I can side into destructive revelry in addition to having main deck removal and Eidolon's.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Standard Chat:

Sorin, while I still don't think is a $25+ card, is pretty drat good. His +1 lasts until your turn, so mixed with an Elspeth, you suddenly have 3 2/1 lifelinking defenders ... and it just gets worse from there.

I like him, a lot. I may have to get 2 more.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

En Fuego posted:

Standard Chat:

Sorin, while I still don't think is a $25+ card, is pretty drat good. His +1 lasts until your turn, so mixed with an Elspeth, you suddenly have 3 2/1 lifelinking defenders ... and it just gets worse from there.

I like him, a lot. I may have to get 2 more.

Please don't tell people this secret.

I don't need to see a B/W Control deck. I don't need another "Twiddle Thumbs Till Elspeth" deck.

Because then I'd actually have to use Fated Conflagration against it. :getin:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Jeskai Ascendancy seems weak to Path to Exile. The Wisps and Manamorphose are the only instants in the deck, so it's mainly limited to Sorcery speed, which means it can't go off with the spell on the stack like some combo decks can. A Spellskite will also block any ground attacker and shut off the Glittering Wish for Blood part (though admittedly they can wish up Firey Justice to kill it). The deck also seems to have very few answers to Canonist/Rule of Law, since Glittering Wish necessarily takes two turns.

Don't get me wrong, the deck is definitely super-powerful, and it very well could get banned, but I don't think the format has quite adjusted yet. There are many answers, it's just that no one is playing them right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Just about to head to lunch when I take a look at the MTG channel on twitch. Only two people streaming and neither of them are streaming the MODO client.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Wednesday is maintenance day, the servers are down for another hour.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

Wednesday is maintenance day, the servers are down for another hour.

Well that would explain it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rogue 7 posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy seems weak to Path to Exile. The Wisps and Manamorphose are the only instants in the deck, so it's mainly limited to Sorcery speed, which means it can't go off with the spell on the stack like some combo decks can. A Spellskite will also block any ground attacker and shut off the Glittering Wish for Blood part (though admittedly they can wish up Firey Justice to kill it). The deck also seems to have very few answers to Canonist/Rule of Law, since Glittering Wish necessarily takes two turns.

Don't get me wrong, the deck is definitely super-powerful, and it very well could get banned, but I don't think the format has quite adjusted yet. There are many answers, it's just that no one is playing them right now.

I mean, I don't disagree, but this is still probably not something a tier 1 combo deck should be able to do (courtesy of a popular magic streamer's chat):

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Niton posted:

I mean, I don't disagree, but this is still probably not something a tier 1 combo deck should be able to do (courtesy of a popular magic streamer's chat):

That is a compelling argument for the banhammer.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

The turn 2 kill is not something that comes up often for the deck and it's not the only deck in modern with a turn 2 kill.

It does have a better late game than the other two combos with turn 2 kills.

I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way - this should be grounds for unbanning Dread Return, Golgari Grave-Troll, Green Sun's Zenith, Blazing Shoal, and Glimpse of Nature, as opposed to grounds for banning Jeskai Ascendancy. Then we can have more combos to complain about :3:.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Storm and Infect can both godhand into a T2, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Most combo decks in modern can theoretically kill on turn 2.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't mind it in legacy cuz we have force and stifles and dazed but modern is supposed to be the more durdling version of legacy. This is why I only play combos in legacy.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

With Storm it's even more complicated - not only do you need a perfect hand, but the top 20 or so cards in your deck need to be basically perfect. In the almost two years I've played modern storm I've only managed to get a t2 kill twice - mind you both times it felt just amazing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Infect can with Glistener Elf and some combination of Mutagenic Growths and Groundswells and Lands.

Storm needs something like
Land-Cantrip, then Land-Pyretic-Desperate-Ascension-Desperate-Pyretic-Manamorphose-Past in Flames for a turn 2 kill, which isn't just a god hand but a god top 13-14 cards of the library, although extra probes or manamorphoses after turning on ascension do help. Also thoughtscour dumping extra copies of manamorphose or rituals or probe is a godsend, of course (or just multiple probes to turn on ascension as long as you can float 2RR with an ascension, ritual, and relevant spells in hand)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

By contrast, for the Jeskai deck to get a T2 kill, your opener + top card needs to have one of your 15 mana dorks, two of your 16 lands, one of your 3 Jeskai Ascendancy, and one of your 4 Gitaxian Probe. Getting those consistently is a stretch, to say the least, but it can and does happen.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

By contrast, for the Jeskai deck to get a T2 kill, your opener + top card needs to have one of your 15 mana dorks, two of your 16 lands, one of your 3 Jeskai Ascendancy, and one of your 4 Gitaxian Probe. Getting those consistently is a stretch, to say the least, but it can and does happen.

One of either Birds or Hierarch, since Caryatid costs 2.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zoness posted:

Infect can with Glistener Elf and some combination of Mutagenic Growths and Groundswells and Lands.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Infect would wind up banned if it ever started consistently placing/winning tournaments :ssh:

Rogue 7 posted:

One of either Birds or Hierarch, since Caryatid costs 2.

It's still way less of a stretch than Storm's T2 kill, to the extent that it's reasonable to see it just playing the deck for a while normally.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sleep of Bronze posted:

T1 Glistener Elf, t2 land into double groundswell and a mutgenic growth can kill which is less god hand than storm would be but it is possible.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that banning Treasure Cruise might actually be the correct move since it's going to enable whatever combo deck comes around even if it isn't Jeskai Ascendency. That card is BARELY fair in standard and might prove not to be if people break it. In the eternal formats it basically rewards an ever-escalating sequence of dick moves with 4 maindeck Ancestral Recalls.

Basically from the moment they spoiled Cruise it should have been apparent that several formats were about to be rocked HARD because vomiting 6-7 cards to the yard by t3 is pretty much completely trivial.

I say all this and Cruise is basically my favorite card printed in the last 10 years, but it's not a healthy card when it finds a home. If control has ANY place in the current meta it is going to be on the back of this card. People keep pointing at Dig Through Time, but they're missing a few pieces of why this card is so unbelievably overpowered in a strong control shell:

1. Control typically wants both land AND cards. Control isn't just good because it draws a lot of cards: it's good because it has useful stuff to do with all the cards it draws. Dig Through Time is incredible for getting a few specific answers if you are behind: Treasure Cruise is merely excellent at this but is much better at simply putting you further ahead or pulling ahead when you are even.

2. Treasure Cruise is much better in a deck that wants to tap out every single turn, since it ensures a steadier supply of cards that include both land and answers. It is better in a deck with redundancy and inevitability and strong mana sinks. It is better in multicolored and splashy decks that have more versatile answers on average due to the single blue pip.

3. It costs one blue mana symbol. This is absolutely huge in combo or hard control where every pip counts. And it combines with the final point to really push Cruise over the edge:

4. Treasure Cruise is great in multiples up to 4-of where Dig is typically not. The reason being: when casting Treasure Cruises, you are pulling lands in addition to counters and discards and all your normal cards. With Dig you are typically grabbing only specific answers and finishers barring dire need. Cruise is more about proactive developing your board and hand for the long haul vs. Dig. As a result, Cruise intrinsically does more to set up your mana base and gyard for subsequent Cruises (in addition to being easier to cast) than Dig. It's not uncommon to pull something like a fetch and 2 random cards from a Cruise, which results in net 2 cards in yard and +1 mana between the Cruise itself and cracking the fetch. Combined with the land drop itself, that's 3 mana pips toward your next Cruise where you would only have 1 from the Dig in the same circumstances. Over time, this adds up and is a reason many Legacy/Vintage decks have been creeping toward Cruise as a 4-of.

/end treasure cruise rant for now, it's amazing and scary

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 8, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
As Jeff Hoogland and other people have pointed out, there's 30+ hate cards that see regular play in modern that help fight the jeskai combo deck. People are just going to have to sideboard or mainboard a few more hate cards for the matchup and it'll work itself out. I don't want any more bans in modern.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, in fact that's actually why they gave it Prowess (which is obviously a super weird ability to see on a 6/7) - Pearl Lake Ancient is supposed to be a trump card for the blue control mirror, and it's obviously a bad idea if your mirror trump bounces off itself in combat.

A problem they could have resolved by making it 7/7.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Time to start playing mana tithe in modern boys.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The March Hare posted:

Time to start playing mana tithe Annul in modern boys.

Right.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Korak posted:

As Jeff Hoogland and other people have pointed out, there's 30+ hate cards that see regular play in modern that help fight the jeskai combo deck. People are just going to have to sideboard or mainboard a few more hate cards for the matchup and it'll work itself out. I don't want any more bans in modern.

The problem is that this deck goes directly against what Wizard's has stated is there guiding principle for modern decks, which is they don't want any deck to consistently win by turn 3. Being able to is one thing, storm, infect, and even affinity can win by turn three on occasion, but it is the exception rather than the norm. This deck will generally win on the third turn, even if disrupted. Beyond that, this deck faces the eggs problem where it has a nonzero chance of fizzling, a very small one mind you, but a chance. So the opponent is forced to not concede and move on to the next game, and simply has to be an observer in what should be a game. This is partially what led to the banning of Second Sunrise, and I would highly argue that in the next round of modern bannings, Jeskai Ascendancy is getting the axe.

Ascendancy combo is able to tutor for a solution to any hate card through the use of glittering wish, enchantment/artifact removal, creature kill, and an additional copy of Jeskai Ascendancy. This makes it incredibly difficult to hate out as well, so I would be highly surprised if enough maindeck hate is even playable against the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

OK I realize that you can replace Glittering Wish with Idyllic Tutor, but, wouldn't banning Wish greatly restrict your ability to tutor up answers and therefor possibly be the card to get banned? I'm not even saying it's the smartest move but I know Wizards will be loathe to ban a brand new card,

• Locked thread