Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lichtenstein posted:

So, is the Balance of the Force worth it? Do the challenge decks stand up to repeated plays?

Additionally, Blue Squadron Support & Repair & Refurbish are great sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alg posted:

Additionally, Blue Squadron Support & Repair & Refurbish are great sets.

Watchers is appearing in a lot of sets now as well. Having 4 Luke and 4 Yodas to recycle is pretty awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked up Darkness and Light today. Not sure what's playable outside of the Sith set, but sadly it's time to settle in and wait to see how long Between the Shadows takes :/

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

alg posted:

Picked up Darkness and Light today. Not sure what's playable outside of the Sith set, but sadly it's time to settle in and wait to see how long Between the Shadows takes :/

I'm going to be using Salacious Crumb, at least. I might try out the Jedi set, but I'm rather fond of the way my Jedi deck is now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think Impersonating a Diety is pretty good. Occasionally starting the game with an Ewok in play is great, and Rash Action is huge kick in the junk along side Swindled. The Navy set is pretty much nothing right now but will probably be a staple in the next cycle. The Jedi set is solid. I actually kind of like it more in the current scheme than Yoda, I think a lot of the new Yoda's awesomeness comes from MtFBWYA which is such a great card for Jedi.

I'm really not sure what to think about the Sith set. I just think in the current run of decks it's really hard to take the balance away from the LS. Hate doesn't do a whole lot about that, and since the Believers are sacrifice at any time you could get stuck not even being able to drop them. Yeah, I think it's pretty terrible and the Cultist is overcosted. Same can be said for the Gammorean Palace Guard in the Scum set but since that's the first card that straight removes damage from an objective as a unit, I'd say it's safe to make him cost 1 more. He's still within the limit for playing and refreshing off a Pay Out as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Picked up the Darkness and Light force pack today. I'm literally haven't actually gotten to seriously play since before the Echoes of the Force cycle started, so I'm way out of touch with the meta...but drat the cards themselves keep looking more and more awesome. I can't believe the TIE Scout and Ferus Olin made it on to cards.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

PaybackJack posted:

I think Impersonating a Diety is pretty good. Occasionally starting the game with an Ewok in play is great, and Rash Action is huge kick in the junk along side Swindled. The Navy set is pretty much nothing right now but will probably be a staple in the next cycle. The Jedi set is solid. I actually kind of like it more in the current scheme than Yoda, I think a lot of the new Yoda's awesomeness comes from MtFBWYA which is such a great card for Jedi.

I'm really not sure what to think about the Sith set. I just think in the current run of decks it's really hard to take the balance away from the LS. Hate doesn't do a whole lot about that, and since the Believers are sacrifice at any time you could get stuck not even being able to drop them. Yeah, I think it's pretty terrible and the Cultist is overcosted. Same can be said for the Gammorean Palace Guard in the Scum set but since that's the first card that straight removes damage from an objective as a unit, I'd say it's safe to make him cost 1 more. He's still within the limit for playing and refreshing off a Pay Out as well.

I just wish they would have found a way to make the guards 2 cost so the pod would have more synergy with Jabba's pod.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I currently have the Hoth cycle up to Assault on Echo Base and one copy of Edge of Darkness.

Any idea what the hell can I do with all the Scum and Villainy cards, since the faction looks super fun? It doesn't have to be super competitive - which it obviously won't be with singleton objectives, but I struggle to think of anything, like with Smugglers I can take my 2x stuff from hoth packs and build something decent around those hoth objectives, but with scum, not so much.

The only real idea I have right now is Jutland Wastes + Tattoine Crash for mass recycling of bounties and those Sith offensive enhancements, but that's just too janky with one EoD.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I currently have the Hoth cycle up to Assault on Echo Base and one copy of Edge of Darkness.

Any idea what the hell can I do with all the Scum and Villainy cards, since the faction looks super fun? It doesn't have to be super competitive - which it obviously won't be with singleton objectives, but I struggle to think of anything, like with Smugglers I can take my 2x stuff from hoth packs and build something decent around those hoth objectives, but with scum, not so much.

The only real idea I have right now is Jutland Wastes + Tattoine Crash for mass recycling of bounties and those Sith offensive enhancements, but that's just too janky with one EoD.

2x Lucrative Contract
2x Jabba's Orders
2x Hunt for Han Solo
1x Jabba's Reach
1x Hive of Scum and Villany
1x Trandoshan Terror
1x Carbonite Transport

If you have two Cores, you could swap the Hunt for Han Solo with the Bespin Exchange. Feel free to experiment with swapping out the single objective sets with others from EoD. However, the best thing to do would be to get a Lure of the Dark Side pack as Zuckuss is amazing. IG-88 from It Binds all Things is also really good, but I prefer Zuckuss.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5038

Dannik Jerriko :stare:

alg fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 10, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This is the force pack cycle I'm most excited for. Thematically speaking, the Starfighters and other ships of this game have really been calling to me, and the pilot mechanic looks really awesome.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Those Advosze Mercenary units are horrible unless I'm missing something.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Those Advosze Mercenary units are horrible unless I'm missing something.

They are mercenaries, so they work with that one scum objective. They have a rare black blast in scum, and get stronger when attacking en masse, especially with Dannik Jerriko. Not amazing, but not horrible.

I would love to see better playtesting out of this cycle after last cycle's restricted list and just must have sets like Gamor Run and Slave Trade. Also the never playable sets like Green Squadron support and Winter's set.

Maybe units with disadvantages will be the new norm.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

That objective set looks terrible. The objective itself should have been for defending as well as attacking. There's no reason those mercenary units should cost 2. Dannik is great for 3, but again an offensive only based ability? The DS needs extremely strong abilities to punish the LS on offensive because they can't build a defense fast enough.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012
I got tired of not getting around to playing this because I have to make a deck first, so I put one copy of each faction set into a deck for that faction. I did Jedi vs Navy, and Jedi won by one Death Star point, with a timely Counter-Stroke heading off a Superlaser Blast and a lightsaber wielding Luke swinging in for the last objective. It seems like a fun way to play casually. Does anyone else do this?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ronald Nixon posted:

I got tired of not getting around to playing this because I have to make a deck first, so I put one copy of each faction set into a deck for that faction. I did Jedi vs Navy, and Jedi won by one Death Star point, with a timely Counter-Stroke heading off a Superlaser Blast and a lightsaber wielding Luke swinging in for the last objective. It seems like a fun way to play casually. Does anyone else do this?

If you've just got the core set that's alright. It gets a bit less good if you're trying that with the cycle expansions.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLo3ndlH4Cw

:stare:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Neat! Don't know that I'll find room for it with everything else that we're getting but still, neat!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5111

wow that edge card

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Jesus. I was thinking of just using Journey to Dagobah and A Hero's Resolve, but this works too! Too bad it doesn't combo with Trench Run, but that's probably a good thing all told. That Navy version of Vader's Tie is pretty exciting as well.

I just noticed that The Hunters from Between the Shadows was spoiled a couple weeks back. All these exciting cards for Jedi and Scum make me really happy that those are the two factions I play. If nothing else, maybe I'll try using core Boba Fett again with this set.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just bought two core sets, one for me and my friend. We play Xwing together already, but we saw this and kinda got into it (until Armada shows up). Should the core sets last us for a while or should we dive right in and get some expansions? If so, what are some expansions that we should look at. We're both a lot more into bounty hunters as he's a Boba Fett Fiend and I love Dengar. I'm also super big into the empire so...

Also how hard is this game to pick up and go? We have extensive history with MTG, both dating back to revised edition days (and I STUPIDLY gave my cards away about 10 years ago...Yeah...) so we're hoping that it will be easy to pick up and learn, and it will also be something that takes a shorter amount of time than playing a game of Xwing.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
If you and your friend are into bounty hunters tour gonna wanna pick up two edge of darkness expansions.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

but we need the core set with it right?

They also have multiple factions so it always doesn't have to be empire vs rebel, it can be empire vs smuggler or something along those lines? Or does it need to stay in the expansion like sith vs jedi?

edit: Is it just two people playing at once? How many people can play?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Soulex posted:

They also have multiple factions so it always doesn't have to be empire vs rebel, it can be empire vs smuggler or something along those lines? Or does it need to stay in the expansion like sith vs jedi?

Yea you need the core. Edge of darkness is the first deluxe expansion. It fills in some holes the core had as far as scum cards.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Soulex posted:

edit: Is it just two people playing at once? How many people can play?

It can be whoever vs whoever. You can mix decks too, to make things like Rebel/Jedi.

4 people can play, 2v2 or 3v1 with decks from Balance of the Force

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

alg posted:

It can be whoever vs whoever. You can mix decks too, to make things like Rebel/Jedi.

4 people can play, 2v2 or 3v1 with decks from Balance of the Force

It sounds complicated now, but I'm sure I'll catch on. But there isn't a way for 1v1v1 or something? Someone has to be the empire correct?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

OK, couple of questions here.

Force affiliation adds a focus token on a card right? after those tokens are removed, are they allowed to attack and defend?

If a character that is a force player, like Vader, does that add to your struggle with the force, or does it only count the force cards?

Winning the edge battle on defense really is just to prevent the attacker having an advantage on an objective?

What happens if you go through your entire deck in play, do you reshuffle or do you forfeit?

It's not like MTG, where you buy boosters and decks in hopes of getting a rare card or something right? All cards are included in the expansion?

What are some things I should consider getting in addition to the actual cards. I've got some sleeves on the way, but I mean like a box to keep the cards in, different force token/damage tokens etc.

Despite having objectives that you destroy and you draw new objectives, you only need to destroy three correct? For LS and DS? Or do you only win on DS if you get the dial up to 12?

edit: 1 more! 2 light side people can't play against each other right? Like have a race to destroy 3 objectives?

I'm not going to lie. I really hope they come out with an IOS game or something like that for this. I would LOVE to be able to play this on my iPad.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 8, 2014

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Soulex posted:

Force affiliation adds a focus token on a card right? after those tokens are removed, are they allowed to attack and defend?
No what happens is you commit a character to the force and count their force pips in the force struggle. If you use a character that is commited to the force to attack or defend they become double focused and there force pips won't count until they are ready.

Soulex posted:

Winning the edge battle on defense really is just to prevent the attacker having an advantage on an objective?
Winner of the edge battle gets to strike first they also get to use their white abilities.

Soulex posted:

What happens if you go through your entire deck in play, do you reshuffle or do you forfeit?
Yea if you deck you forfeit.

Soulex posted:

It's not like MTG, where you buy boosters and decks in hopes of getting a rare card or something right? All cards are included in the expansion?
All of the expansions have 2 of each set with the exception of edge of darkness and balance of the force. Now you should get two edge of darkness. You only need on balance of the force because the sets all say limit of one per deck.

Soulex posted:

What are some things I should consider getting in addition to the actual cards. I've got some sleeves on the way, but I mean like a box to keep the cards in, different force token/damage tokens etc.
Team covenant tokens are pretty nice I have a set myself along with most of the people I play with.

Soulex posted:

Despite having objectives that you destroy and you draw new objectives, you only need to destroy three correct? For LS and DS? Or do you only win on DS if you get the dial up to 12?
Light side needs to take out three. Darkside needs to take out enough to get the dial to 12. Now normal three is enough but if you take them out fast enough darkside might have to take out 4 or 5. Mind you having to take out 4 is pretty rare.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 8, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Soulex posted:

Committing to the force just puts a force card under you. You can still attack and defend.

quote:

If a character that is a force player, like Vader, does that add to your struggle with the force, or does it only count the force cards?
It only counts people committed to the force.

quote:

The winner gets to strike first and gets to use edge enabled (white) icons in combat.

quote:

You lose if you must draw a card but can't.

quote:

Right.

quote:

Box is nice, sleeves are nice. I use binders for my cards. No reason to get more tokens.

quote:

DS needs to get the dial to 12. Light side needs to destroy 3.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for the help guys. My friend has gotten me back into Star Wars (I used to be hardcore into it when I was younger) and his failure at trying to get me back into MTG led us to Xwing, and this.

I already ordered two of the core sets from Amazon, and will probably end up getting some expansion sets as well. It's something fun to do and seeing that it's a good way for my wife and his wife to do something while we nerd out is awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This is a good guide to have on a tablet while you learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dWPwoUQ-Y

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I actually watched that and was impressed on how well it was put together. I wish more companies would do videos like that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow, so they made Along the Gamor Run 1 of in the new FAQ. MTFBWY is now once per turn.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Star-Wars-LCG/support/FAQ/SWC-FAQ-low-res.pdf

Not happy playing against them, but not happy to have errata like that.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

alg posted:

Wow, so they made Along the Gamor Run 1 of in the new FAQ. MTFBWY is now once per turn.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Star-Wars-LCG/support/FAQ/SWC-FAQ-low-res.pdf

Not happy playing against them, but not happy to have errata like that.

This is just a reaction to the delay in product. If they didn't do anything it would pretty much play out like nationals. Frozen meta is no fun for anyone.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like it, keeps Gamor run playable but now inconsistent enough to make the rest of the deck important. MTFBWY nerf is not a huge problem. I think if the errattaed Gamor they'd have to errata a ton of Jedi cards and making it Smugglers only does not because more of those decks are running out of a core smuggler base anyone.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Question time!

Does the Death Star dial flip (or damage to objective) done every turn or every time it's the imperials turn?

Say Yoda is attacking and I block. Yoda kills my defender. Does he get to damage the objective? Is it double because it's unopposed? What if I have more defenders?

Tactics is done when someone attacks first if they have it. Does this mean ey can assign a focus token on someone who was a defender, taking them out of the battle? What about an objective?

Edge battles. Holy poo poo, first game I loving got destroyed because I tried to play a lot, win my attacking edge battle, and only had like 2 cards for defending edge battles. In there a trick to them?

I like the game. Though the first game took 1.5 hours because we were both learning.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Soulex posted:

Question time!

Does the Death Star dial flip (or damage to objective) done every turn or every time it's the imperials turn?

The Death Star dial only increases at the start of the Dark Side's turn if the balance is with him. The Light side can deal 1 damage to an objective he the balance is with him at the start of his turn. Nothing happens if the Dark Side has the balance at the start of the LS turn. Also note that the LS may skip dealing his damage to an objective, but the DS must increase the dial by 2.

Say Yoda is attacking and I block. Yoda kills my defender. Does he get to damage the objective? Is it double because it's unopposed? What if I have more defenders?

If you only declared 1 defender and it died then the objective is now undefended. If you declared more than 1 defender and 1 dies there is no unopposed damage dealt as you still have defenders at the objective. Unopposed damage is 1 extra, after the battle resolves, unless something modified this. Blast damage(the stars) occur regardless of if there is a defender there or not; so when Red 5 strikes it deals 3 damage to the objective.

Tactics is done when someone attacks first if they have it. Does this mean ey can assign a focus token on someone who was a defender, taking them out of the battle? What about an objective?

Assigning someone a tactics icon doesn't take them out of the battle it just means they can't strike. They are still in the battle for the purpose of being a defender and unopposed damage. You cannot assign tactics icons to non-unit cards, and also note that shields can soak them.

Edge battles. Holy poo poo, first game I loving got destroyed because I tried to play a lot, win my attacking edge battle, and only had like 2 cards for defending edge battles. In there a trick to them?

If you're the DS you generally want to play a bit more defensively with your hand, so you'll not want to spend your cards during your attack in an edge battle. As the LS you can be a bit more liberal with your cards in an Edge battle because getting that damage in is crucial. Now go look at the card "Twist of Fate", see that card? That's the most important card in the game. For the 2 years this game has been around this card has defined how people play edge battles. Typically the LS will go first in placing cards in their edge stack so if they place 2 cards, and the DS has played Twist the LS is now down 2 cards, you can also of course use this to your advantage as an LS player dumping your low(0-1) cards in the first two plays then playing a twist as your third card if they play a 2nd card, you can also bluff a twist with a high value card by playing it then passing, if the DS doesn't have a twist they're in a tough position. Know the sets that Twist of Fate is in and use them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for the lengthy response. So to clarify on the blast damage. If Red 5 attacks, I block and kill him, he doesn't do blast damage because that is done after the battle right? But if he survives, he does damage. And if a guy is focused, he can block but not do damage. This include blast damage correct?

That blast damage makes it harder now to win I think. Actually the Death Star bit but I always won't be imperial.

We play a mix of games, x wing, LCG, and soon to be Armada. Gonna see if I can teach the wife too.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Soulex posted:

Thanks for the lengthy response. So to clarify on the blast damage. If Red 5 attacks, I block and kill him, he doesn't do blast damage because that is done after the battle right? But if he survives, he does damage. And if a guy is focused, he can block but not do damage. This include blast damage correct?

That blast damage makes it harder now to win I think. Actually the Death Star bit but I always won't be imperial.

We play a mix of games, x wing, LCG, and soon to be Armada. Gonna see if I can teach the wife too.

It depends on who wins the edge battle. If light side wins Red five does his blast damage to the objective. Then dark side defenders would be able to attack Red Five. If dark side wins the edge battle they go first and choose which defender engages red five. Hopefully one of the defenders can one shot red five. Which prevents red five from doing its blast damage. The only blast damage done after the battle is unopposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ah. Yeah I worded it weird. I meant after the defender and attacker go at it. Essentially we were wondering (I've been trying to compare it with MTG moves so he can understand a bit better) cause we didn't know if it got canceled out or not if he died. His argument was first strike, so if he wins edge battle and attacks, regardless of me blocking it, it should "trample" to the objective if I don't kill him. It's a new system so we are learning bit by bit. The game we played was pretty close to the rules from what I've gathered. It was mainly the battling that was causing questions.

I might just be having a brain fart, but attackers choose which defender they attack right? Cause that was another one of his "this doesn't seem right..." Things.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 19, 2014

• Locked thread