Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

The closest I've found is this, from ten pages ago. Which I'll grant is useful.

As I understand it, I start with purple to lay the smackdown and switch to red to finish them off, with yellow there in the event of opponents getting an edge and the other two if I really need to move around for whatever reason?

Doesn't help with Pac-Man's neutral-B, of course, but I've done well enough so far just throwing random fruits and otherwise ignoring the move altogether.

I made the big post about Shulk, you can read it here. Here's some more words on the skills now that I've learned them a bit better.

This image is a good reference sheet, but it does miss some of the subtleties you can use. I've found myself using green and blue a lot more than I used to after playing more and more Shulk.

Green is good once you start getting the opponent to higher percentages, so you can chase them over a ledge as a follow up really easily. It also has a nice benefit of making it easier for you to recover from getting knocked back.

Blue is basically great all around. It gimps your jump, but the increase in air move speed usually makes up for it when it comes to recovery. The loss in attack power can be compensated for by being really aggressive with your combos, and usually makes for more damage overall.

Yellow is for coming back when you're behind in percentage. The reduced risk allows you to generally be way more aggressive without having to worry too much. Also good for just after you kill someone and are at a major percentage difference.

Purple is for increasing a percentage lead you already have. You can use it right off the bat to get a solid lead, but if you make some mistakes you can wind up very far behind. Purple is a risk, since it can lead to losing an advantage, but playing smart can really increase the lead you have.

Red is for finishing the opponent off, but not always to be used. Red is a gamble just like purple, so you generally want to use it when the opponent is at a high percentage and you aren't. You can use it when you're also close to dying, but that can easily lead to you getting killed. If you just died, it's probably a good idea to switch to this so you can even poo poo out quick, assuming the enemy is close to death too.

I prefer to start with blue right off the bat to get a solid lead. Once I'm ahead, I'll switch to purple to get them up to the kill ranges. If I'm doing well I switch to red to finish them off, if it's more even I'll switch to green. If I get behind I'll use blue and yellow to try and even things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I finally picked up Ganondorf's sword custom special. It was my 100th custom move.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If I recall Shulk has a custom that amplifies the strengths and drawbacks of each form. Is it too impractical or is it worth it?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The Hori Battle Pad could be a decent alternative for this, assuming they feel as accurate as they look.

Edit: Oh wait this thing's a Classic Controller, not a Pro Controller. Still looks cool though.

Whoa whoa WHOA, hold the phone here. What is happening. A Mario-themed Gamecube-controller-shaped Classic Controller is coming out by HORI??

But... what about the Mario-themed Gamecube-style Classic Controllers coming out by PDP??

That Hori one looks more like the actual Gamecube controllers, too. Does this mean I'm going to wind up buying two Gamecube-style Mario controllers? What is going on, help

EDIT: Though the PDP one also comes in Yoshi and Peach theme, so obviously my wife is getting the Peach one

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 8, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Bee posted:

If I recall Shulk has a custom that amplifies the strengths and drawbacks of each form. Is it too impractical or is it worth it?

I haven't got either of his neutral-B customs yet :shobon: But the amplification one seems the better of the two, on paper. The one that locks it in for longer just seems impractical - usually by the time one wears off you're about ready to change to another. I guess it'd be good if you're up against a friend you know plays really passively and defensively, and it takes a long while to get anything done. I'm not sure if the amplification would be better than standard, it depends on just how much the amplification is. I'd say play around with it and see which one you prefer? I could see the amplification being really good, as Shulk is all about being REALLY good at whichever one thing you specifically need at the moment, and that just follows that line of thinking.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
After playing this for a while, I've decided that the best thing about the game is the game and the worst thing about the game is the 3DS itself. I'm enjoying it, but at the same time, the most common thought going through my head as I play is "this will be really great on a big screen and without the circle pad!"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
My biggest and pretty much only complaint with the game is I wish the For Glory mode used all the stages, a lot seem like fun and the flat small surface is okay I guess but it can get boring

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

One of my favorite moves is Ike's diagonal Aether; it's so good even if it's a tad situational as opposed to regular Aether

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbp posted:

My biggest and pretty much only complaint with the game is I wish the For Glory mode used all the stages, a lot seem like fun and the flat small surface is okay I guess but it can get boring
I wouldn't want it to use all the stages, something like Golden Plains kind of changes how the game is played drastically, which goes against the point of For Glory, but I wish it at least included Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and maybe Prism Tower - the more 'normal' stages.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I started doing the thing where you do neutral air A attacks and fast fall right after the startup of the move so you can do short hops with attacks coming out constantly, it's pretty much the closest thing to triangle jumping from Marvel or doing L-Canceling stuff in older Smash that I can figure out. It's dramatically increased my ability to get around quickly and to cover space with attacks as often as possible, and has really upped my movement technique in general. I have a much lighter touch on the circle pad and am way more specific with my inputs. I feel already that I'm more agile and precise and nimble than I ever was on any previous smash version, even with the gamecube controller.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Callick posted:

I started doing the thing where you do neutral air A attacks and fast fall right after the startup of the move so you can do short hops with attacks coming out constantly, it's pretty much the closest thing to triangle jumping from Marvel or doing L-Canceling stuff in older Smash that I can figure out. It's dramatically increased my ability to get around quickly and to cover space with attacks as often as possible, and has really upped my movement technique in general. I have a much lighter touch on the circle pad and am way more specific with my inputs. I feel already that I'm more agile and precise and nimble than I ever was on any previous smash version, even with the gamecube controller.

It's too bad I think the neutral A part of this only works with certain characters.. Megaman for example I'm not going to be doing much and have almost no knockback with my neutral A, gotta use the forward A and idk if I'm good enough to do that small jump thing. I've been hit a lot with it though lol

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

greatn posted:

Good. Now that stupid controller with not enough buttons to do any modern games, its stupid bean buttons and useless analog triggers and terrible tiny d-pad can finally die. They've slapped a coat of paint to get rid of their remaining stock to the only people dumb enough to like it, smash grognards.

Look at how wrong this guy is. That was the best button layout I've ever used, and not just for Smash, but for Zelda and Mario and Tales and so on. It's a central button surrounded by others, much easier to use all of them than the standard diamond.

Now, a game designed for a standard diamond might not work on it that well, but that's the game's fault, not the controller's.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

tbp posted:

Cuz that's the only stage "pros" use I guess so I like to think For Glory was a gently caress-you to the hardcore Smash Bros. community :kamina: but yeah some of the more regular stages would do...or yanno, why not the OMEGA FORMS that you put in just for this?

So can anyone gimme some advice on some things here, I'm trying to get the challenge unlock for a combo of 40 or higher in Training mode and I cannot get past like 11, does anyone have any good tips for that? Also when it says to get like 300 KOs, does that only mean KOs against people and CPUs in the normal Smash mode? Or does it also count KOs in Classic, Multi-Man and such?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FinalGamer posted:

Cuz that's the only stage "pros" use I guess so I like to think For Glory was a gently caress-you to the hardcore Smash Bros. community :kamina: but yeah some of the more regular stages would do...or yanno, why not the OMEGA FORMS that you put in just for this?

The "pros" don't like final destination, this whole mess is Sakurai designing a mode off a meme without really looking into it. So I guess by your logic, Sakurai actually hates everyone especially non-pros.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tae posted:

The "pros" don't like final destination, this whole mess is Sakurai designing a mode off a meme without really looking into it. So I guess by your logic, Sakurai actually hates everyone especially non-pros.

Competitive smash players in Japan prefer FD apparently, that's why For Glory uses FD and not Battlefield like US pros would prefer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xad posted:

Competitive smash players in Japan prefer FD apparently, that's why For Glory uses FD and not Battlefield like US pros would prefer.

I think even JP players use Battlefield and Yoshi's Island.

Also For Glory *does* use the Omega Forms.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Is Battlefield the one that is the regular platform with the three floating blocks?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tbp posted:

Is Battlefield the one that is the regular platform with the three floating blocks?

Yeah. Generally players want platforms because it gives more safe spots to prevent big combos that are easy to rack up while preventing characters like fox and now Little Mac having all the advantages.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FinalGamer posted:

So can anyone gimme some advice on some things here, I'm trying to get the challenge unlock for a combo of 40 or higher in Training mode and I cannot get past like 11, does anyone have any good tips for that?
For me, it was pick Ness, set the damage to 999, grab them, and mash the grab button to smack them around.

It would probably work with other characters too, but I read that it worked with Ness so that's what I did.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Huh, that's a good idea alrighty I'll try that. :) ...and holy poo poo that was loving perfect THANKS! :D

Endorph posted:

I think even JP players use Battlefield and Yoshi's Island.

Also For Glory *does* use the Omega Forms.
OH hey awesome then so they're not wasted and we still get gorgeous stages.

SO who here hates Gaur Plain because holy gently caress is that place for glide-only poo poo or something, what the hell?! I mean the background looks gorgeous but it is so easy for anybody to get KO'd on that stage when the only good spots are right at the top corners of the screen.

What IS everyone's favourite stage by the way? Mine is Magicant for being pretty goddamn beautiful...but I do acknowledge that the Flying Men are basically an auto-win for whoever has them.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 8, 2014

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You can also try spawning Smart Bombs, they rack up tons of hits.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

What are the chances for DL content? Like a change to For Glory to have the Battlefield stage etc.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

tbp posted:

What are the chances for DL content? Like a change to For Glory to have the Battlefield stage etc.

I'd say pretty big. Nintendo have put out quite a lot of it recently and, perhaps because Nintendo is stuck in the past internet wise, it's usually reasonably priced with lots of content.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay so Little Mac absolutely, positively, utterly destroys Master Core.

I managed to no-death it on Intensity 9, not even getting to 100% damage.

poo poo's wack, yo.

Now if only the game would let me get that one move I have left to unlock for Mac...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I kinda wish you could play the final destination forms with items.

I mean, I just like the pretty backgrounds

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tbp posted:

The chance for DLC in general is pretty high. I doubt it'd be that particular thing, though. I'd expect more along the lines of new characters and palettes. Normal fighting game stuff.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FinalGamer posted:

What IS everyone's favourite stage by the way?

Rainbow Road is a pro level.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

PantsBandit posted:

A final note: It's funny to me that they reeled back on voiced taunts for virtually every character except Falcon. If you don't take a moment at least once per match (do it while the opponent is staring you down, not while they're dead, you pussy) to shout "COME ON!" then you need to hang up your wings.

I think the voiced taunts budget all went into I'M REALLY FEELING IT

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not a Children posted:

I kinda wish you could play the final destination forms with items.

I mean, I just like the pretty backgrounds

You can, though?

Or do you mean in For Fun mode?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Help how do I final smash

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

Press A+B at the same time

Edit: or whatever your standard and special attack buttons are mapped to

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

This game is really not clicking for me and it's very frustrating. I love the Smash series, but I end up frustrated with the 3ds stick and buttons every single time I play. I'm sort of regretting buying it instead of just waiting for the Wii U release. I'll probably end up trading it in to help pay for the console version when it releases. I was going to get it anyway.

I love everything about the game, though, and the roster is much better than Brawl's in my opinion. I feel like a circus when I'm playing Bowser Jr.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

This game is really not clicking for me and it's very frustrating. I love the Smash series, but I end up frustrated with the 3ds stick and buttons every single time I play. I'm sort of regretting buying it instead of just waiting for the Wii U release. I'll probably end up trading it in to help pay for the console version when it releases. I was going to get it anyway.

I love everything about the game, though, and the roster is much better than Brawl's in my opinion. I feel like a circus when I'm playing Bowser Jr.

On the bright side you can probably transfer your unlocked characters, items, trophies, and special moves over.

Also if you're in the US you can get a sweet soundtrack by registering both on club Nintendo.

greatn fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 8, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Robo Reagan posted:

Press one of the two buttons that does a move. I'll let you figure out which button it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Karthe posted:

Press A+B at the same time

Edit: or whatever your standard and special attack buttons are mapped to
actually no

you hit the smash ball until you're glowing and then you just hit b

no need for two at the same time

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Wow gently caress crazy hand. Master hand was laughably easy but crazy hand is loving impossible to beat. And when he goes into shadow mode even more so.

I am bad at fighting games.

Also what the gently caress are coins used for?

edit: Also how do I get 100% on the credits score thing, I can always only get ~90%

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Knifegrab posted:

Wow gently caress crazy hand. Master hand was laughably easy but crazy hand is loving impossible to beat. And when he goes into shadow mode even more so.

I am bad at fighting games.

Also what the gently caress are coins used for?

edit: Also how do I get 100% on the credits score thing, I can always only get ~90%

Coins are used for increasing the difficulty of standard mode, buying trophies, and playing TROPHY RUSH.

You get 100% by hitting the credit tiles into the bits of the picture that are missing. All of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you use coins for getting trophies, either through trophy rush or buying them in the shop

you can also use them to make classic mode harder

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

alcharagia posted:

Coins are used for increasing the difficulty of standard mode, buying trophies, and playing TROPHY RUSH.

You get 100% by hitting the credit tiles into the bits of the picture that are missing. All of them.

Oh duh, that makes more sense.

I feel like shadow hand (or whatever he's called after he transforms) doesn't telegraph at all so its impossible to counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
His name is Master Core, just so you know.

Edit: And yeah, especially his sword form is kinda BS. Just so you know, he gains more forms the higher your Intensity.

• Locked thread