Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

bbf2 posted:

Fitz turning the tables on Ward and turning down the oxygen was fantastic. He's been a wreck that everyone pities and no one takes seriously, and seeing him turn around and do something genuinely cold blooded and terrifying as an act of revenge was great.

That whole scene was pretty fantastic. It almost makes me wonder what would be better - Fitz getting better, or becoming some sort of quasi-villain instead?

CeeJee posted:

How considerate of SHIELD to have a little tablet app to suffocate people in their holding cells.

That kind of fits with the idea of SHIELD not being that different from Hydra though. I think they have different goals, but they utilize similar means. I have no doubt that torture is something that was routinely used by certain parts of SHIELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So bets on Fitz eventually having to confront brainwashed Simmons? Seems an obvious way for their arcs to go.

Same with Ward possibly having been unknowingly subjected to the procedure.

Edit: \/ very true. Plus Ward did say the brainwashing is rare because it's unreliable. I was hoping there would've been a Bucky reference dropped.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 8, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mokinokaro posted:

So bets on Fitz eventually having to confront brainwashed Simmons? Seems an obvious way for their arcs to go.

But that goes completely against the flashback we saw last season. I can see him saying that he was and that is why he was loyal to them, but he is just full of poo poo.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mokinokaro posted:

Edit: \/ very true. Plus Ward did say the brainwashing is rare because it's unreliable. I was hoping there would've been a Bucky reference dropped.

Wards redemption (you and I both know it's coming) will probably be very Skye('s dad) focused. Most vanilla way to write it would probably be "Skye gets turned to the darkside by her dad because Coulson kept secrets from her. She trusts Ward a little because he told her some truth about her dad, who plans to do something bad. Ward gets through to Skye last second, safes the world and is now a shield agent again because shield is giving him a second chance as some grand gesture that they are so much better than Hydra."

As for the Simmons arc, we already know that Adrianna Palick will appear as Bobby Morse, who is the head of security for Hydra before being turned into Mockingbird. My guess is that she will become Simmon's friend and get's turned by her.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that thought the episode would end with Skye icing Simmons on accident (I thought maybe she was leaving the show)?

All that talk about never killing anybody, never hesitating to pull the trigger, etc. and it all pulled up to.. Skye not-killing a guy with the powers of Iceman on a rampage. Granted I didn't want Simmons gone or anything, I think her new direction is cool, I just was waiting for it train wreck style, and it never showed.

You know, basically what almost happened with May except "oops, I shot her" at the very least.

ED: Not saying I'd preferred this, just that I thought it was coming.

imperialparadox posted:

Fitz getting better, or becoming some sort of quasi-villain instead?

It will be a huge mistake if they fully heal his character, ever.

He was honestly kind of bland before; plus he and Simmons felt like interchangeable characters more or less. He's far more interesting like this, and while he needs to get well enough to be useful to the team more consistently, I think it'd be a grave misstep to have him be 100% normal ever again.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 8, 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm gonna be very disappointed if anything Ward says has a different intent behind it than "God I wanna get out of this cell so I can be with my hydra pals again".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mymla posted:

I'm gonna be very disappointed if anything Ward says has a different intent behind it than "God I wanna get out of this cell so I can be with my hydra pals again".

Nah, it's been shown that Ward has laser-focus when it comes to his priorities.

With Garrett gone, his priority is banging Skye.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
BTW the song at the start is "God Help The Girl" by Stuart Murdoch. Loved it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mymla posted:

Why?

Ward had no allegiance with Hydra, he was loyal to One dude. He is not a "true believer". Everything is a mission to him, literally the only thing/person he cares about now is Skye as his sociopathic rear end fell in love with her. What I would get pissy about is if Skye actually gets into a relationship with the dude.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

What I would get pissy about is if Skye actually gets into a relationship with the dude.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I just don't want Ward to turn out to be a Good Guy, No Really! And I prefer Skye when she's being an stone cold sniper to when she's crushing on Ward.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It would be incredible and awesome if the show stuck with Ward being crazy person sociopath complete with him speaking his crazy person logic. That way every character and audience understands that he's bonkers yet understands the logic and motivation as far as his actions go.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
My guess is that they're gonna do it Sky's gonna feel bad about it and than go into a Inhuman fugue state and strangle Ward once he crosses the line again.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

My guess is that they're gonna do it Sky's gonna feel bad about it and than go into a Inhuman fugue state and strangle Ward once he crosses the line again.

Skye is going to be captured by her dad, the only one who can find her is Ward who they'll have to let out to find Skye and then he'll sneak off to be a reoccurring bad guy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
There is no way we make it through this season without Ward escaping. Either by his own initiative, or by Skye letting him out so he can take her to her father when events dictate that it is important to find him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

imperialparadox posted:

That kind of fits with the idea of SHIELD not being that different from Hydra though. I think they have different goals, but they utilize similar means. I have no doubt that torture is something that was routinely used by certain parts of SHIELD.

Seriously. Both shield and hydra wanted to get Gill, but were willing to kill him if they couldn't. I wonder if the show will do more to showcase that their methods aren't really all that different.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

There is no way we make it through this season without Ward escaping. Either by his own initiative, or by Skye letting him out so he can take her to her father when events dictate that it is important to find him.

I'm a fan of Fitz going evil scientist and inadvertently (or not) releasing Ward plot line. As long as we avoid a Simmons gets brainwashed and then has amnesia when she's rescued plotline I'm happy.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seriously. Both shield and hydra wanted to get Gill, but were willing to kill him if they couldn't. I wonder if the show will do more to showcase that their methods aren't really all that different.

I don't know if this is accurate. Do we know if they planned to kill him before Fitz found out he was brainwashed and already firmly in Hydras pocket? Killing a Hydra super villain isn't exactly the same as killing someone who wont join Hydra.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Simmons will be brainwashed. Unable to do anything about it, Fitz joins Hydra.

Eventually everyone joins Hydra and they take it down from the inside by becoming important directors.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Elentor posted:

Eventually everyone joins Hydra and they take it down from the inside by becoming important directors.

And they will all try to convince Skye that they did it for all the right reasons.

Skydra 4 ever.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

FoF posted:

I don't know if this is accurate. Do we know if they planned to kill him before Fitz found out he was brainwashed and already firmly in Hydras pocket? Killing a Hydra super villain isn't exactly the same as killing someone who wont join Hydra.

True, though at the same time you start to see the potential for a Xavier's School for the Gifted/Brotherhood of Evil Mutants dynamic to draw those "Gifted" who really aren't that chuffed about joining SHIELD or HYDRA (which could easily be most of them) and decide to band together to enforce that decision.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Elentor posted:

Everyone has a massive psychic flashback to that last season of Angel and reflexively forgets both shows exist as a self defense instinct.

This has already happened twice.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skye being completely calm even after (potentially) killing a guy is great especially when contrasted with her heart rate going up after Ward said something about her father.

johntfs posted:

True, though at the same time you start to see the potential for a Xavier's School for the Gifted/Brotherhood of Evil Mutants dynamic to draw those "Gifted" who really aren't that chuffed about joining SHIELD or HYDRA (which could easily be most of them) and decide to band together to enforce that decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel considers making an Avengers Academy show about characters like Hazmat and Reptil being trained by SHIELD.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Potooweet posted:

Everyone has a massive psychic flashback to that last season of Angel and reflexively forgets both shows exist as a self defense instinct.

This has already happened twice.

I will never forget the last season of Angel because of the awesomeness that was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zNLwwl6qU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Does anyone else think it's weird that a former Shield agent, now working for Hydra, hasn't been under 24/7 surveillance that would find out that Simmons is having a social dinner with Coulson?

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
So a pretty good run so far! I'm enjoying that the characters are being pushed more than last season and stuff is actually happening. I would have called you crazy if you'd told me last season that Ward is now actually worth watching. I'm a little worried about the direction the show is taking, while it's certainly far superior to last season, I'd rather have something that made the characters question their loyalty and deal with the constant crap thrown at them in a style more similar to Buffy or Dollhouse than the average spy thriller. I worry that if it keeps having character switching sides all the time they may start to feel like chess pieces rather than actual people.

On a side note: anyone get a major Lost vibe from that opening sequence of Simmons? Just like the start of seasons 2, 3 and I think 5, we get a classic song (or in this case, a classic sounding song), a character going about their business, getting ready for the day then BAM! PLOT TWIST! THAT HAS BEEN SPOILED BY EVERY TRAILER! I kinda miss Lost...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jetfire posted:

Does anyone else think it's weird that a former Shield agent, now working for Hydra, hasn't been under 24/7 surveillance that would find out that Simmons is having a social dinner with Coulson?

Yeah that bothered me too. At the very least meeting at her apartment seems a very dumb option.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Not really. When it comes down to it, practically everyone in HYDRA was an ex SHIELD agent technically. I imagine the post-movie makeup of HYDRA consists of agents whose HYDRA status was hidden from other agents, as well as people who shrugged and signed on with HYDRA for one reason or another. She probably got lost in the shuffle.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

Not really. When it comes down to it, practically everyone in HYDRA was an ex SHIELD agent technically. I imagine the post-movie makeup of HYDRA consists of agents whose HYDRA status was hidden from other agents, as well as people who shrugged and signed on with HYDRA for one reason or another. She probably got lost in the shuffle.

Also, Coulson has access to Tony Stark and Thor. He might've gotten into her place via some kind of cloaked gateway from Asgard or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Coulson is the best spy boss ever. Not only does he buy the groceries, he also cooks dinner for you during debriefing.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

The MSJ posted:

Coulson is the best spy boss ever. Not only does he buy the groceries, he also cooks dinner for you during debriefing.

Nah, he's more of a dad figure at this point. The kind of dad that gets up at the middle of the night to scribble alien nonsense on the hallway walls after getting back from his afterlife-coma.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

johntfs posted:

Also, Coulson has access to Tony Stark and Thor. He might've gotten into her place via some kind of cloaked gateway from Asgard or something.

No, he doesn't. They think he's dead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They also mentioned they had no idea who was running S.H.I.E.L.D. right now too. So, Coulson may not be anyone to Hydra at this point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, it was clear from the conversation with that Hydra subleader that they don't know Simmons was part of the team. As far as they know she was just a SHIELD scientist.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As stated, they explicitly state they don't know who's running SHIELD now. They've gotta know she meets SOMEBODY though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PantsOptional posted:

No, he doesn't. They think he's dead.
Hopefully they change that for Age of Ultron or the inevitable tie in episode.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
It wouldn't really be worth it to take on a shitload of SHIELD agents if you had to also spend an even greater amount of manpower watching them all 24/7. Their vetting process is probably not really that rigorous though I'm sure it involved crap like interrogation and background checks. They just watch what people do in the context of their work, if they get suspicious look into it, and generally keep people in line with the threat of getting murdered or brainwashed or having whatever other evil poo poo they feel like doing done to them. Like if you double cross SHIELD they might lock you up, but if you double cross HYDRA they'll kill your family and perform freaky experiments on you until you die. And they love doing that stuff so they probably don't mind if a few secret agents slip in as long as they don't get too high up.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
So how come B.J. Britt is still a "guest star" and newcomer Nick Blood is in the main credits? Are they unintentionally spilling Tripp's eventual fate?

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

DukeofCA posted:

So how come B.J. Britt is still a "guest star" and newcomer Nick Blood is in the main credits? Are they unintentionally spilling Tripp's eventual fate?

I thought Tripp was going to cameo in Avengers 2?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Tripp is in Age of Ultron, so he isn't dying, but he may be leaving the team to go lead the Avenger Academy or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

DukeofCA posted:

I think it's because he's already a full cast member on a second show (Being Mary Jane), as well as a couple movies.

His contract and/or schedule might not allow him to be main cast on a second series. Then again, he actually has more appearances in Shield than the other show, so...

I don't think he'll be killed off, if the credit for his Shield character appearing in Age of Ultron is accurate.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread