Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

sirbeefalot posted:

For me, the battery life is trumping pretty much everything else right now. The fact that all of the new Wear devices and the Watchtm need a charge every day is a non-starter for me. Totally expected, but it makes me pretty happy that I'll be able to stick with my Pebble for probably another year at least.

Same... As it is, it's terrible when I forget to charge my phone overnight; I'd hate to have that same worry every single night, especially when traveling. Not having to remember to take it off when swimming or showering is also nice. As is sending canned SMS replies through the Glance app without having to get out of the shower. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If the Apple watch can one-up Pebble by, you know, supporting languages outside EFIGS, it'll bury Pebble.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the Pebble got a permanent price cut. $99 for regular Pebbles and $200 for Steel.

For some reason Pebble Steel was $170 at Amazon and BestBuy yesterday, but it seems that is no longer the case.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How good is the step/sleep tracker on the Pebble? Are they competitive with the accuracy of dedicated devises like the fitbit?

Also, is it possible to use the device without a phone connected, once the apps are loaded? If I leave my phone at home and go to the gym or something, will I still be able to use Pebble apps that don't specifically require interaction from the phone?

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Virtually all the functionality comes from the phone, there aren't any sensors of any kind. It'll tell you the time and date without a connection to the phone but I've seen the time be wrong when disconnected for a couple days. I don't have any games on mine, someone else can tell you if those still work.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Virtually all the functionality comes from the phone, there aren't any sensors of any kind. It'll tell you the time and date without a connection to the phone but I've seen the time be wrong when disconnected for a couple days. I don't have any games on mine, someone else can tell you if those still work.

Misfit step/sleep tracker works fine not connected to a phone. So does the compass app and most games.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The Pebble absolutely has an accelerometer built in, that's why it knows that you've flicked your wrist for the backlight to come on. I just fiddled with the pedometer app I have (with my phone's bluetooth off) and it only registered about half of my steps but in its defence I was walking back and forth on carpet trying not to wake up my wife and I could have increased the sensitivity had I wanted. It's probably about as good as any pedometer worn on the wrist instead of on a shoe.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I got one yesterday and am loving it so far. Do I need a screen protector?

Also, what is the best pedometer app? I tried Misfit but it was counting steps while I was driving to work this morning.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Out of curiosity to the people who complain about battery life, are you not taking your watches off at night?

I've got a 360 and a pebble, the 360 requires *almost* daily charging but the effort is so minimal, I take it off my wrist and set it in its stand (it acts as a night clock as well). Compared to the pebble which requires me to take it off my wrist, find that little cord, orient it and make sure it clicks in. Not to mention it's not a daily thing so it's actually easier to forget to charge it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fatal posted:

I've got a 360 and a pebble, the 360 requires *almost* daily charging but the effort is so minimal, I take it off my wrist and set it in its stand (it acts as a night clock as well). Compared to the pebble which requires me to take it off my wrist, find that little cord, orient it and make sure it clicks in. Not to mention it's not a daily thing so it's actually easier to forget to charge it.

I don't know how you can try to make charging the Pebble seem like work. I take it off every night, like I'd generally recommend when wearing a watch. Once a week I tap the magnetic cord against it and forget about it for a few hours. I guess it is so easy, it's easy to miss occasionally - like, normally I charge it every Saturday morning. I was really busy this weekend and forgot until after work Monday. Never died.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I got one yesterday and am loving it so far. Do I need a screen protector?

Also, what is the best pedometer app? I tried Misfit but it was counting steps while I was driving to work this morning.

Get a screen protector if you don't want scratches on the plastic face. I've worn mine daily without one for 1.5 years through every kind of activity and the light scuffs and scratches never bother me - it seems pretty resistant. Only a few actually stand out in the light. I'm still waiting for a good pedometer, my fingers are crossed that it's around the corner after this recent OS update.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

The Pebble absolutely has an accelerometer built in, that's why it knows that you've flicked your wrist for the backlight to come on. I just fiddled with the pedometer app I have (with my phone's bluetooth off) and it only registered about half of my steps but in its defence I was walking back and forth on carpet trying not to wake up my wife and I could have increased the sensitivity had I wanted. It's probably about as good as any pedometer worn on the wrist instead of on a shoe.

That makes sense, I hadn't thought of that.

For battery chat, I take mine off at night and turn it off as well. I still need to charge it about every 3 days.

This isn't related but my pebble was getting the horizontal static-lines and they sent me a new one before I even shipped the old one back. Top-notch customer service, just wanted to mention it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Chernobyl Prize posted:

For battery chat, I take mine off at night and turn it off as well. I still need to charge it about every 3 days.

This isn't related but my pebble was getting the horizontal static-lines and they sent me a new one before I even shipped the old one back. Top-notch customer service, just wanted to mention it.

I ought to do that too. Mine gets all kind of wonky all the time, and I just hit buttons until it seems to fix itself (a weak polarization issue with e-ink capsules? Hard to say.)

But I'll lose the "Kickstarter Edition" written on the back if I do!
:goonsay:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Mine lasts most of a week whether I wear it to bed or not. As for screen protectors, I use one by Skinomi. Its more expensive than a regular screen protector but I've already had it replaced twice under the lifetime warranty.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Manky posted:

I don't know how you can try to make charging the Pebble seem like work. I take it off every night, like I'd generally recommend when wearing a watch. Once a week I tap the magnetic cord against it and forget about it for a few hours. I guess it is so easy, it's easy to miss occasionally - like, normally I charge it every Saturday morning. I was really busy this weekend and forgot until after work Monday. Never died.

Compared to the 360 it is work, that's what I'm saying.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I've switched over to Google Wear for the most part now, I still use the Pebble for working out but I remain extremely happy with the Pebble and if you are on iOS it is an incredibly solid buy that keeps getting better and better.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I've switched over to Google Wear for the most part now, I still use the Pebble for working out but I remain extremely happy with the Pebble and if you are on iOS it is an incredibly solid buy that keeps getting better and better.

Similarly, my LG G watch is currently my daily driver, but my Pebble remains my "Golf Watch". I still miss a few elements of my pebble (it's much more efficient at controlling music).

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I never even thought of doing this. I was just going to upgrade to a metal one but I'll see if I can just go that route instead.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finally thought of something useful to add to a watch face: my bus schedule. Just finished hardcoding a list of all buses into and out of Seattle from my stop. I was originally hoping OneBusAway would just have Pebble integration built in for smarter integration than my dumb hardcoded list.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well, I see in my email today that only two and a half years after the (supposed) delivery date of the Pebble, they've finally found a way to do what they'd insisted was impossible and let people use languages other than English! At this rate, maybe by 2016 we'll have IFTTT support!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got the chance to play with a Pebble at an AT&T store while I was getting my phone stuff sorted. I gotta say it's still imo the best smart watch and now I kind of want one. The brushed stainless steel model is sleek af I just wish it weren't $200.
But yeah I think the Pebble will stay strong among the new wave of smart phones simply because of the eink screen and size.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

64bit_Dophins posted:

The brushed stainless steel model is sleek af I just wish it weren't $200.

Best Buy has them for $150 with promo code PEBBLESTEELDEAL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/pebble-smart-watches-130374

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Kameh posted:

Best Buy has them for $150 with promo code PEBBLESTEELDEAL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/pebble-smart-watches-130374

Oh thats awesome. I might be picking one up then.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
$149 with free shipping on the official site too. And 79 for the regular pebble.

https://getpebble.com/?utm_source=i..._eid=d68cc78f5f

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:
They're having a sale today for Cyber Monday at getpebble.com by the way

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey! I just got a Pebble and would sincerely appreciate some help. I have an iPhone 6+ if that helps.
1) I want a countdown timer. I am super surprised this isn't built in. Or...is it and I'm not finding it? If not, what app is the best one/most easily accessible. I need to be able to set the minutes/seconds and press start and have it be active if I leave the app.
2) Best music app? The built in one is pretty good but just curious.
3) Best map app? I live in NYC and would like to be able to a) get turn by turn walking directions/vibration when to turn b) subway directions. It's OK if this is 2 separate apps.
4) Any MUST HAVE apps?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For the timer you should use https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/52a301bb233b395b35000014 - it's the only one I know of that uses the new wakeful thing, so if you have a different face/app open it will switch back to the timer as it goes off (other apps would just silently fail to go off if on a different screen)

As far as other apps, yelp seems like it will be useful and it has a decent interface, pixel miner is a cute cookie clicker sort of game, Pebble Authenticator runs the google auth stuff directly on the pebble without needing to communicate with the phone, and perspective is a neat watch face to show off the accelerometer for oohs and ahhs

Anyone have luck on sourcing the long version of the normal pebble's watch band (or other good suggestions for long bands)? I'm in the big wrist club; the last hole barely fits, but the end popping out of the loop is annoying

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 12, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just got my Steel Pebble and installed the Weather Channel watch face. If I can see the weather on my wrist that's all I care about.

What can I use to track my sleep if I have an Android phone? I see Misfit only exports to an iOS app, is it any good just looking at data on the watch?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm personally paranoid about morpheus using an internet server as a middleman (and don't want the data charges while away from Wi-Fi), so I've started to give sleep as android a chance. So far it seems ok and is accurate but it's only been two nights so far, so I'm not too familiar with it's entire feature set yet

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

I'm personally paranoid about morpheus using an internet server as a middleman (and don't want the data charges while away from Wi-Fi), so I've started to give sleep as android a chance. So far it seems ok and is accurate but it's only been two nights so far, so I'm not too familiar with it's entire feature set yet

If you are that paranoid about mobile data it might be out of your budget (But I would guess a Pebble would be too) but if you are serious about sleep tracking you could get this http://misfit.com/products/beddit and not sleep with your phone. It will probably be more accurate as well

That and my experience with Pebble is the same with Android Wear, they are both poo poo at fitness tracking, if you are serious about it invest $100-$180 in a Fitbit/Jawbone/Misfit, you will get way better sleep/fitness tracking. I just picked up a Fitbit Charge HR and for $150 it does automatic sleep tracking, 24/7 continuous heart rate, stair and step counting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hah! There is a thread. My gf got me the steel one and not being too familiar with theses toes of devices just said "what will I do with this?" And she was pretty bummed. Thought it was for business type folk to read texts on the go or I don't even know. Seemed like a gimmick

However googling around it actually seems pretty cool and maybe I can make good use of it. I have an iPhone 6. Couple questions

How's the Morpheuz app? I remember expensive watches that do that specific function (set a time period and it wakes you up when you're moving around/most awake)

And also can I have my iPhone connected to spotify and connected to the pebble and change songs with it? What all can it do with spotify? I guess it's more of an iPhone question but I don't know how many devices you can connect to via BT

Maybe I will keep this and should apologize, heh

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't know about iPhone, but mine can control Google Play on my android, so in the car if I have it linked to my stereo through bluetooth, I can change tracks and see what's playing on my wrist instead of fumbling with my phone. It's much more convenient and safer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah ok yeah I like to charge my phone and play spotify through some BT speakers while I fumble around and was just wondering if I could sort of use It as a remote

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
Yeah, the default pebble music control works with Spotify or whatever is currently playing audio on IOS -- iTunes, podcasts, audible, whatever. It will show the currently playing track info like the iOS lock screen and let you skip forward and reverse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yup works just as I wanted it too! Pretty cool. Also there's some awesome features with the jailbroken smartwatch+. Blowing my mind over here. Can activate Siri, send pre-formatted texts, make calls, activate the find my iPhone tone, read my reminders, and some other poo poo. Super cool

Also a free app to disable pebble notifications if your phone is unlocked and one to disable passcode if you're connected to your pebble. Not sure if it works for touchid the app is $1 I'll probably try it now

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Anyone have luck on sourcing the long version of the normal pebble's watch band (or other good suggestions for long bands)? I'm in the big wrist club; the last hole barely fits, but the end popping out of the loop is annoying

Any 22mm band will fit; just search Amazon for "22mm extra long" and pick whichever one floats your boat. Anything is better than the lovely band that comes with the pebble.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's the shank which is silicone and has an extra long option

https://www.richardtracybrand.com/products/shank-for-pebble-steel

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Received a Pebble for Christmas. I was so excited.

The app absolutely wouldn't work past the select a language section of setup. It kept saying it had to check the app store for updates and then went to a white screen. I tried every permutation of resetting the phone, the watch, the app, bluetooth, etc. I followed every troubleshooting guide I could find. Nothing. Emailed support. No response.

So I contacted the person who gave it to me and we returned it. So disappointing.

For reference, I have a Nexus 5 with Lollipop. I'd advise anyone considering one to see if they can try one out first to see if it works or else don't get your hopes up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a Nexus 5 with Lollipop and had no problems getting my Pebble Steel to work.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

FISHMANPET posted:

I have a Nexus 5 with Lollipop and had no problems getting my Pebble Steel to work.

No idea then what was wrong. I had just factory reset my phone a month ago. No mods or anything that wasn't off the play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

SpelledBackwards posted:

I ought to do that too. Mine gets all kind of wonky all the time, and I just hit buttons until it seems to fix itself (a weak polarization issue with e-ink capsules? Hard to say.)

But I'll lose the "Kickstarter Edition" written on the back if I do!
:goonsay:

Update on this post: I put up with screen garbling issues for at least a year, and finally a week ago I got in touch with Pebble about it. Looks like they're sending me a replacement.

• Locked thread