Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Amberskin posted:

It looks really good, but I have not been able to find an ebook edition.

Are you US based or willing to lie to Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Neurosis posted:

I just finished Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly. It was a good and enjoyable vampire book. I see she's written a number in this series. Should I be leery of a quality drop? I'm interested to see where she adds onto the mythos. I'll be honest and say I absolutely loving love a really elaborate vampire mythos like World of Darkness where ancient conspiracies, gothic horror, and elaborate vampire societies are everywhere, all treated without a hint of humour, so if it expands any way in that direction that would be cool.

I have enjoyed all of them, Hambly's sequels don't tend to suffer the same kind of quality drop seen in many other series.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Nah, I'm in the EU (by now). I just see the hardcover edition as available :(

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The next book in Richard Morgan's Land Fit for Heroes series comes out tomorrow in the US, "The Dark Defiles". It's substantially longer than the first two and I think concludes the series. Looking forward to it greatly.

Velius fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 6, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Velius posted:

The next book in Richard Morgan's Land Fit for Heroes series comes out tomorrow in the US, "The Dark Defiles". It's substantially longer than the first two and I think concludes the series. Looking forward to it greatly.

Awesome, I love this series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like the Takeshi Kovacs books, but man, the rest of Morgan's books are way too "am I too loving edgy for you? :smug:"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I think I would have liked The Black Company a lot more if it weren't for some of the worst romance plots I've ever read. Croaker's especially felt like some sort of weird rear end fanfiction.

That was intentional, I think. Croaker wrote weird fanfiction about the Lady before he ever met her, and she staged all their meetings to look scenes from his stories.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

systran posted:

My Reynolds tier list:

S: House of Suns, Chasm City
A: Short story collections
B: The Prefect, Revelation Space
C: Redemption Ark
D: Absolution Gap, Pushing Ice, Blue Remembered Earth
F: Century Rain, Terminal World, Troika

Have not read: On the Steele Breeze

This list is more or less perfectly accurate and an objective assessment

Is it problematic to read Chasm City without first reading Revelation Space?

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Megazver posted:

I like the Takeshi Kovacs books, but man, the rest of Morgan's books are way too "am I too loving edgy for you? :smug:"

I felt that way about Market Forces and Black man, for sure. I think that happens when his books start with the message and build a story around it. (As opposed to building a story and weaving in the message and themes.)

Unrelated:

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin with Michael Moorcock? His interviews make him incredibly appealing, but his bibliography is kinda daunting.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Siminu posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin with Michael Moorcock? His interviews make him incredibly appealing, but his bibliography is kinda daunting.

Read Elric, one of the early stories also deals with some multiverse stuff so it's a good introduction.

There are like a million different configurations of the Elric books around, but what you're looking for is something that's got "Elric of Melnibone' and "Sailor on the Seas of Fate". You might find them separate or packed with other books, but that's the starting point.

Otto von Ruthless fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 7, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seeing as Steven Brust's next entry into the Vlad Taltos series, Hawk, is being released tomorrow, I thought it would be a good idea to start up a Steven Brust thread for people to talk about the new book (or to discover an awesome series). Check it out!

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Megazver posted:

Call me a baby, but The Steel Remains pushed me right to the edge of this. Like, okay, I get it, this is super grim and dark and there's a lot of poop. Then his post about grimdark and people who don't like it being stupid fat babies kind of turned me off of finishing the series.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not at all. It's the same Universe but completely stand alone.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

johnsonrod posted:

Not at all. It's the same Universe but completely stand alone.

Great thanks. I just found out the audiobook of it and basically every other novel by Reynolds are narrated by John Lee :xd:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Velius posted:

It's a pretty damned good ending to the series.

Also, it kills the popular fan theory that this series ties in to the Takeshi Kovacs series (<-not really a plot spoiler).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Siminu posted:

I was going to just tell you to start reading the Elric books but oh my god what the hell happened to the covers?

How do you go from this: http://www.amazon.com/Elric-Melnibone-1-Michael-Moorcock/dp/0441203981/

To this: http://www.amazon.com/Elric-Stealer-Chronicles-Emperor-Melnibon%E9/dp/0345498623/

But yeah, just work your way through the Elric Saga. Good luck getting matching covers!

Edit: Upon closer expansion, the terrible covered version doesn't even look like it starts with Elric of Melnibone.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I was going to just tell you to start reading the Elric books but oh my god what the hell happened to the covers?

How do you go from this: http://www.amazon.com/Elric-Melnibone-1-Michael-Moorcock/dp/0441203981/
To this: http://www.amazon.com/Elric-Stealer-Chronicles-Emperor-Melnibon%E9/dp/0345498623/

But yeah, just work your way through the Elric Saga. Good luck getting matching covers!
Edit: Upon closer expansion, the terrible covered version doesn't even look like it starts with Elric of Melnibone.

They really crapped all over the old Elric covers, which were classic and great.
Fun fact, the Swedish variant of D&D in the 90s (ie Dragons and Demons and a independent rule system) used these covers for various rule books.
And in one rule books you hade stats for Elric, as well as Conan.

Ornamented Death posted:

It's a pretty damned good ending to the series.

Also, it kills the popular fan theory that this series ties in to the Takeshi Kovacs series (<-not really a plot spoiler).

Ha, I was right.:smug:
It was a stupid theory that didn't make sense at all for either series.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Thanks for the advice. Elric it is!

I'm feeling incredibly daunted now, as immediately after asking for where to start I started googling suggested reading orders. Moorcock mountain is goddamn immense.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Velius posted:

The release date for Australian electronic books isn't until November. The publisher has made an excellent move if its goals are to advance piracy.

I am about a third of the way through City of Stairs. The book itself seems okay but I thought the action was quite weakly written.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 7, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In this thread, everything is problematic.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Seeing as Steven Brust's next entry into the Vlad Taltos series, Hawk, is being released tomorrow, I thought it would be a good idea to start up a Steven Brust thread for people to talk about the new book (or to discover an awesome series). Check it out!

Sweet, adding it to the OP. I've been meaning to read these for a while.

Siminu posted:

Elric's good, but Moorcock's books are VERY diverse so if you don't like them, try something else. Even Elric runs the gamut from his 60s hackjobs to his most recent work.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Siminu posted:

Thanks for the advice. Elric it is!

I'm feeling incredibly daunted now, as immediately after asking for where to start I started googling suggested reading orders. Moorcock mountain is goddamn immense.

It's not so bad, each series is essentially it's own thing. I don't think you need any kind of reading order other than internally within each series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
TW: Italics

House Louse posted:

In this thread, everything is problematic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I never could get into Moorcock myself. I know he's a cornerstone of the genre, but something about his stories just doesn't appeal to me. They're all twice as long as they need to be and feel really pulpy and rough around the edges.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cardiovorax posted:

I never could get into Moorcock myself. I know he's a cornerstone of the genre, but something about his stories just doesn't appeal to me. They're all twice as long as they need to be and feel really pulpy and rough around the edges.

There's a lot of bad Moorcock. When he's good he's great but the rest of the time he's terrible. Sailor on the Seas of Fate is the best thing of his I've read.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

House Louse posted:

Elric's good, but Moorcock's books are VERY diverse so if you don't like them, try something else. Even Elric runs the gamut from his 60s hackjobs to his most recent work.

The 60s hackjobs are the good Elric.

Whoever was asking for the reading order, the core canon is collected in six books:

Elric of Melnibone
Sailor on the Seas of Fate
Weird of the White Wolf
The Vanishing Tower
Bane of the Black Sword
Stormbringer

These books have since been put into two omnibuses. Don't read any other Elric because it is BAD.

After Elric, chase up the three other aspects of the Eternal Champion from Sailor, starting with Corum. Start with the Swords trilogy (Knight, Queen, King). After Corum do Hawkmoon, the best of which is in a single volume called The History of the Runestaff.

If you are the kind of person who takes lots of drugs, instead read Jerry Cornelius. You'll know if you can stand it by the time you're halfway through The Final Programme.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, this series might turn out to be poo poo, but this cover is amazing:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/dinosaur-lords-cover-reveal

I love this, the artist has to be the same guy who does a bunch of concept art for Guild Wars 2, the style is identical.

I believe his name is Richard Anderson.

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Just finished Red Rising. Man does that book just revel in every single possible cliche. I sure as poo poo enjoyed it, though.

Now on to Causal Angel... although I'm fairly confident I have no clue what happened in The Fractal Prince.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

How? I've read the book, but found my concentration wandering a lot.

If I understood the ending well, Ringil stays in the Gray Places with the dwenda?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barbe Rouge posted:

How? I've read the book, but found my concentration wandering a lot.

If I understood the ending well, Ringil stays in the Gray Places with the dwenda?

Two things, though to be fair I'll need to go back and search for the appropriate sections to make sure I'm getting things right:

First, it's all but stated that Gil kills all the dwenda. Second, it's implied that Gil becomes Takavach. This is the part I need to go back and check, but at some point Gil is told the story of how his lover in the Grey Places was saved by Takavach when he was an infant, then at the end of the book we see that Gil was actually the one to do that.

Oh also most, if not all, of the technology that a lot of people cite as an example of some connection between the two series is directly attributable to the Kiriath.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Robotnik posted:

Just finished Red Rising. Man does that book just revel in every single possible cliche. I sure as poo poo enjoyed it, though.

Now on to Causal Angel... although I'm fairly confident I have no clue what happened in The Fractal Prince.

Was that good? I started it a while back but didn't get past the first few pages because it was so obviously The Hunger Games in space.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

The 60s hackjobs are the good Elric.

Whoever was asking for the reading order, the core canon is collected in six books:

Elric of Melnibone
Sailor on the Seas of Fate
Weird of the White Wolf
The Vanishing Tower
Bane of the Black Sword
Stormbringer

These books have since been put into two omnibuses. Don't read any other Elric because it is BAD.

After Elric, chase up the three other aspects of the Eternal Champion from Sailor, starting with Corum. Start with the Swords trilogy (Knight, Queen, King). After Corum do Hawkmoon, the best of which is in a single volume called The History of the Runestaff.

If you are the kind of person who takes lots of drugs, instead read Jerry Cornelius. You'll know if you can stand it by the time you're halfway through The Final Programme.

I thought the Erekose books were the best, even though his Ermizhad obsession can be a bit grating. I especially liked the Urlik tale.

One of the Runestaff books must be the last chronologically, right? With Hawkmoon and Erekose basically ending the Universe and laying the groundwork for a new one?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

I thought the Erekose books were the best, even though his Ermizhad obsession can be a bit grating. I especially liked the Urlik tale.

One of the Runestaff books must be the last chronologically, right? With Hawkmoon and Erekose basically ending the Universe and laying the groundwork for a new one?

Yes. The Quest For Tanelorn concludes with "The End of the Saga of the Eternal Champion".

I didn't mention the John Daker series or the second Hawkmoon series because they're a bit confusing when taken in tandem. TQFT was written a number of years before The Dragon in the Sword, and its ending sort of conflicts with the other books. It's also uncertain as to whether the Erekose in TQFT is actually John Daker.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Does anyone know why Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks is not available on Kindle at Amazon US?
Was it released by another publisher or thought of as "too difficult" for the US audience?

Considering all his other stuff, as far as I can see, is there, I think it's a bit strange this one is not.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Amazon doesn't want to have to compete directly with other feersum endjinns.

Edit: Probably literally, it might be due to the Hachette thing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
But the Hachette thing is recent. I have never seen Feersum Endjinn available in all the years I've had a Kindle :(

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Has anyone ever read the English translations of Sapkowski's Witcher series? I enjoyed the games quite a bit so wondering if the translations were competent and kept the same tone as the Polish versions supposedly have.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Fart of Presto posted:

But the Hachette thing is recent. I have never seen Feersum Endjinn available in all the years I've had a Kindle :(

It is the same with Excession, which happens to be published in the US by Spectra, just like Feersum Endjinn. Not sure why, but it looks like they didn't decide to convert them to ebooks. My best guess is that the rights are tied up in some sort of contract dispute. Otherwise, I'd have assumed they would have issued ebooks whilst Orbit US was reissuing all the Culture novels over the last few years.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

Two things, though to be fair I'll need to go back and search for the appropriate sections to make sure I'm getting things right:

First, it's all but stated that Gil kills all the dwenda. Second, it's implied that Gil becomes Takavach. This is the part I need to go back and check, but at some point Gil is told the story of how his lover in the Grey Places was saved by Takavach when he was an infant, then at the end of the book we see that Gil was actually the one to do that.

Oh also most, if not all, of the technology that a lot of people cite as an example of some connection between the two series is directly attributable to the Kiriath.

1. Does Gil killing all the dwenda have any significance for the connection with the Takeshi Kovacs series?
2. The part with saving his lover, I picked up his resemblance to Dakovash, but didn't give it any significance. Looked like a "twist", like, you thought he was saved by Dakovash and actually it's Gil. I mean, it doesn't mean he IS Dakovash.
3. The technology thing isn't really proof either. From what I gathered the last time I read some topics about this book, the connection mostly rests on the Takeshi Kovacs/Dakovash and Quellcrist/Kelgrish similarities. And the fact that this is a far future Earth (or some other human colony world).

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

What, no love for Moorcock's Dancers at the End of Time? Dang, people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Has anyone ever read the English translations of Sapkowski's Witcher series? I enjoyed the games quite a bit so wondering if the translations were competent and kept the same tone as the Polish versions supposedly have.

I read the first two (The Last Wish and Blood of Elves) and they were well enough translated. I can't say if anything was lost not having read the original polish versions. The rest of the books I just read the fan translations which were serviceable with only a few awkwardly translated parts and some formatting issues that my ebook reader didn't like. They used to be on the CD Projekt forum, but I think the OP was gradually removing them as the retail translations came out.