Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

"Definitely" is a hard requirement to satisfy, but I still use Sleep Cycle and it's a very nice alarm clock. To avoid waking up with the phone on the floor I stuff my phone under the sheets.
I'll look into that, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xzzy posted:

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

The point was to coordinate all the different devices that might use and/or generate data related to Health. Just like HomeKit's purpose is to coordinate all the different devices that might use and/or generate data related to Home, except there isn't an Apple Home app. So companies would use HealthKit to take care of integration because the only alternative on iOS is to manually support every other device/app you wanted to work with.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
After getting permanently scarred on the wrist from wearing a fitbit product for less than a month, gently caress them. It is disgusting that they're still in business and still haven't refunded me even the purchase price after 8 months. Why would they want to support anything that could help a consumer?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

They recalled it a while ago and have been giving people full refunds, I don't know why you haven't been able to send yours back.

And I understand why you would be angry with them but I don't think it's fair to say that they are actively anti consumer because they accidentally made a device that reacted negatively with some people's skin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
When your business is selling things that are made to be worn on the wrist at all times, you should probably test that and make sure it doesn't scar people's wrists. They're a pretty lovely company all around though, so it's not surprising that they're not going to support Healthkit.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I think it may have been some intermittent manufacturing issue. My wife and I each ordered one in different colors. She got a rash, and I was fine. I liked her color better, so I asked her to send mine back instead. After wearing hers for a while, suddenly I got the rash, but I never had any issues with my initial one.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

They recalled it a while ago and have been giving people full refunds, I don't know why you haven't been able to send yours back.

And I understand why you would be angry with them but I don't think it's fair to say that they are actively anti consumer because they accidentally made a device that reacted negatively with some people's skin.

Yeah, I sent mine back on March 8th. I have not received a check from them since. On top of that, they've removed my fitbit account from posting such inflammatory comments as "when am I getting money?" and "has anyone gotten their refund check?" Even not considering that, the way they handled the debacle is shameful and wrong--people were reporting skin irritation in Late December/Early Jan, they didn't issue a recall until late Feb, and they still haven't announced WHAT chemicals they used that would've caused that reaction.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

clockworx posted:

I think it may have been some intermittent manufacturing issue. My wife and I each ordered one in different colors. She got a rash, and I was fine. I liked her color better, so I asked her to send mine back instead. After wearing hers for a while, suddenly I got the rash, but I never had any issues with my initial one.

Not to mention, they were pretty quick to start offering refunds, and the recall program paid above MSRP. I made $50 on the deal.

If that poster above still has a rash, he should probably see a doctor.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I will say it is pretty lovely of them that 9 months after I got a rash, they've still said nothing about what exactly gave it to me. I have no known nickel allergy, and they seem to have walked that explanation back. They did refund my money within days of me opening a case (I reported it before the official recall began).

I had a coworker who had the Force as well. He didn't get the rash. However, his Force also came totally unglued and fell apart. It came apart right at the same spot that would've been touching the affected part of my wrist, had I worn his band.

I'm betting what happened was there was some totally inconsistent application of adhesive during manufacturing. Some of the units must've gotten not enough glue and fell apart, and some must've got so much extra that there was some oozing out or offgassing.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
My Garmin Vivofit supports HealthKit. Makes sense since their app is loving garbage and they've always made software that was garbage. Not that HealthKit is all that great in its first iteration in terms of looking at detailed history but it does set up companies to have to do very little development in the future.

Vivofit is $130 and claims to have a year of battery before needing to be recharged. I've gone about six months of that year. I don't wear it to sleep because I find it to be too bulky. I used to sleep with my Jawbone UP all the time but so much so that I forgot to turn it on 80% of most nights after a few weeks.

edit: I stopped using UP because even though they "fixed" it from version 1 I still went through 4 of them under warranty and honestly I just didn't feel like sending it back in a 5th time even though it was still within the year.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

xzzy posted:

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

People might not want your app if it doesnt support healthkit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spunkshui posted:

People might not want your app if it doesnt support healthkit.

That would have been me. Fortunately Jawbone will send step data and sleep data to Health Kit (since I don't carry my phone EVERYWHERE) and MyFitnessPal will send all my caloric and macro data. If they didn't do that, I'd be looking for other devices and apps. I'm currently researching wireless (WiFi or BT) scales to track my weight in HK.

I'd still like to have a weight training app to log data, but I'm not sure how it would be tracked since guessing caloric burn boils down to "Maybe this many?" even more so than cardio numbers. I should probably just adjust my BMR on how my weight changes due to the extra activity and let MFP figure out macros and total calories I need to stay on track.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Militree posted:

Is anyone else having a lot of issues? I'm on the iPhone 6, 8.0.2, and I'm experiencing the following:

Little to no service in my house, despite my last phone being just fine
Touch ID working about half the time
The wifi will just stop working or turn off
Little glitches in some of the apps, I had Facebook displaying as half the screen after watching a video
Random hard resets

It's all very frustrating.

Welp, I took my iPhone back to the T-Mobile store today. They didn't have any to switch out so they just gave me a refund. I'll be getting a dumb phone to hold me over, but chances are I'll be switching back to Android. You had me for 10 days, Apple. I was so excited.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Militree posted:

Welp, I took my iPhone back to the T-Mobile store today. They didn't have any to switch out so they just gave me a refund. I'll be getting a dumb phone to hold me over, but chances are I'll be switching back to Android. You had me for 10 days, Apple. I was so excited.

Enjoy. Everything you experienced is anecdotal, overblown and/or bad luck but not in any way the usual experience.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Militree posted:

If it's quality you're after, I highly suggest the OnePlus One.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

carry on then posted:

This is probably better suited discussion for the Android thread, but I was going to wait until The Nexus 6. The OnePlus One is pretty old at this point and runs Cyannogen Mod and not stock Android, right?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

carry on then posted:

Now that's just mean. Don't listen to this guy. Get a Samsung.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Militree posted:

This is probably better suited discussion for the Android thread, but I was going to wait until The Nexus 6. The OnePlus One is pretty old at this point and runs Cyannogen Mod and not stock Android, right?

I'd be inclined to think that since it runs CM, it will probably be supported for a longer period than a Nexus running stock. You can run CM on some old stuff. So in that case, you might get more mileage out of the OnePlus One.

And pretty old? Hasn't it only been out for 4-5 months?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Oh no, we are not going to earnestly discuss android phones in the iPhone thread when the Android thread is in the same subforum. Serious advice: those problems you mentioned were in no way normal or acceptable. While you have probably already decided to go back to Android, if you had gotten a replacement it wouldn't have had any of those problems.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
iMessage not working for anyone else? Can't send on any devices through two different Apple IDs.

e: resolved

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 8, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

iMessage not working for anyone else? Can't send on any devices through two different Apple IDs.

Working for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Enjoy. Everything you experienced is anecdotal, overblown and/or bad luck but not in any way the usual experience.

Actually most of what he experienced seems to be common enough to find folks all over complaining about it. But I still think that was a bit of an overreaction. Enjoy flawless Android, I guess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Venkmanologist posted:

I'd be inclined to think that since it runs CM, it will probably be supported for a longer period than a Nexus running stock. You can run CM on some old stuff. So in that case, you might get more mileage out of the OnePlus One.

And pretty old? Hasn't it only been out for 4-5 months?
Supported in that it's still not working 100% and they're still trying to get the last 10% and breaking new things with every bug squashed, sure.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

While you have probably already decided to go back to Android, if you had gotten a replacement it wouldn't have had any of those problems.

Sure they would have. They are iOS8 issues.

[edit] Cellular service issue notwithstanding. That might just be circumstantial.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Most of those sound like hardware faults, especially if it's hard resetting regularly (assuming that's actually happening and not a respring).

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Feenix posted:

Enjoy flawless Android, I guess?

I know Android isn't flawless, but at least I could make calls in my own house and reliably use the wifi, and my Android experience was 10 times better than my iOS8 experience. I'm not ruling out going back to iPhone; the hardware, camera, and feel of holding the phone where really, really nice. I just had 3 more days in my 14 day trial period to make a decision, so the only thing I could do was get a refund (or drive 3 hours to the nearest Apple store).

The last thing I want to do though is get another iPhone and be greeted with the same issues, since a lot of people seem to be having a problem with iOS8.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Militree posted:

I know Android isn't flawless, but at least I could make calls in my own house and reliably use the wifi, and my Android experience was 10 times better than my iOS8 experience. I'm not ruling out going back to iPhone; the hardware, camera, and feel of holding the phone where really, really nice. I just had 3 more days in my 14 day trial period to make a decision, so the only thing I could do was get a refund (or drive 3 hours to the nearest Apple store).

The last thing I want to do though is get another iPhone and be greeted with the same issues, since a lot of people seem to be having a problem with iOS8.

No one cares.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Look who's getting passive aggressive.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Militree posted:

As others have said, all of your problems sound like defective hardware. I have had zero problems on iOS8 on my 6+ on AT&T.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

ScarletBrother posted:

As others have said, all of your problems sound like defective hardware. I have had zero problems on iOS8 on my 6+ on AT&T.

Thanks guys. I'm not here to rant, sorry if I was frustrated and it came off that way. Since you think it's just defective phone hardware I'll check in with them to see when they get more stock in. Like I said, using the phone, minus the bugs, was very nice.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Militree posted:

Thanks guys. I'm not here to rant, sorry if I was frustrated and it came off that way. Since you think it's just defective phone hardware I'll check in with them to see when they get more stock in. Like I said, using the phone was very nice.

Just curious, what model and carrier do you have? (I too came from Android as a long time user.)

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

ScarletBrother posted:

Just curious, what model and carrier do you have? (I too came from Android as a long time user.)

I had the 128gb 6 with T-Mobile.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

bronin posted:

Look who's getting passive aggressive.

I'm straight being angry and aggressive. I'm shaking over this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Most of those sound like hardware faults, especially if it's hard resetting regularly (assuming that's actually happening and not a respring).

I missed the hardware resets one. Sorry, doing too many things at once. I've experienced:

Touch ID working about half the time
The wifi will just stop working or turn off
Little glitches in some of the apps, I had Facebook displaying as half the screen after watching a video

also:

Orientation Lock issues.
Keyboard issues.
The lock screen swipe-up on camera/Control Center occasionally not working without a reboot.
Occasional iMessaging issues.

On my new 6+. I've had every generation of iPhone since the first one (aside from the 5s Gen,) Honestly, given that this gamut of issues is getting reported here and there on many phones, it's likely just firmware bugs we need squashed.

My phone is still entirely usable. The most annoying one is just the wifi one for me. That one is frustrating at times. The rest are just buggy software groans.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have never had any of those issues, so that cancels out your anecdote :smug:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

totes.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

carry on then posted:

Same, worksforme.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I legit have not experienced any iOS8 bugs at all and am laughing at all you stupid people who are having problems with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I legit have not experienced any iOS8 bugs at all and am laughing at all you stupid people who are having problems with it.
Same here. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've heard some complaints about Bluetooth on ios8/iphone6, but I'm actually pretty impressed.

I have some Bluetooth devices that had sketchy range with my iPhone 4 and 4S. Like audio dropouts if I got too far away in the same bedroom.

Suddenly I have solid range with the same devices a room or two away. Maybe the 5/5S were this good too, I don't know, but I'm happy.