Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Can we compromise with Swiss German, Swiss French, and Swiss Italian cultures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Riso posted:

Can we compromise with Swiss German, Swiss French, and Swiss Italian cultures?

Well, if you do that then having them in your sphere as Germany/France/Italy (depending on which one is the primary culture) will give you the event to inherit them, a la Luxembourg as Germany. Unless you call them those things but have them under a separate, Swiss culture group.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Don Gato posted:

Speaking of which, unless you're playing the Historical Plausibility Project, never research theory techs for anything other than rockets/jets and nukes. The benefits are too small, you don't research them much faster than the techs they modify and on top of that the techs they modify also increase the theory anyway. There might be a few other circumstances where you want to research theory, but right now I literally can't think of any other than what I already said.

Is there a writeup and calculation of this somewhere? It seems really good advice if it's true but I never heard of that.
But I also suck at HoI3 tech (coming from DH/KR, I started researching 6 things at once as Germany and was quite pleased with myself until I noticed 3 years later that everyone else had like 20 researches going at once :v:), so what do I know?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I got an itching for platying Kaiserreich again and was kind of wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which country could make for a fun game. Two memorable games I did before were as a feminist UoB where I aided France in attacking Germany by launching an amphibious invasion of Denmark (supported by airborne drops) and as a super opportunistic Japan where I basically grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down when the big war started and the other great powers were too pre-occupied to do anything to stop me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Randarkman posted:

I got an itching for platying Kaiserreich again and was kind of wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which country could make for a fun game. Two memorable games I did before were as a feminist UoB where I aided France in attacking Germany by launching an amphibious invasion of Denmark (supported by airborne drops) and as a super opportunistic Japan where I basically grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down when the big war started and the other great powers were too pre-occupied to do anything to stop me.

-Austria and either re-unite the empire or form the Danubian Federation (warning: this makes you incredibly powerful and, while the wars to form a reunited Austria are really fun, it instantly turns you into a superpower).

-Russia, but go full-on democratic. The Kaiserreich world is generally pretty bleak and un-democratic to begin with, so you can take up the torch of liberty against the forces of syndicalism and Germanic militarism!

-I've heard good things about Syndicalist USA. Less so about Canada, but it's at least something of a challenge and will promise you some absolutely fantastic naval battles against the Union of Britain.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Randarkman posted:

Well, whatever you do, don't play Austria, reform the empire, then stab Germany in the back and recreate the German Empire under Habsburg leadership. You only get cores on Bavaria, everything that isn't core Austria gets released as a puppet, and you generally end up weak as poo poo. With the split I had going with the Commune of France, I ended up with like 80 IC and had to let Russia do all the heavy lifting. Even after regaining all the German lands, I only had 130 IC. Terrible, just terrible.

The most fun I ever had in a Kaiserreich game was playing as the American Union State - the civil war is really hard as them, and you have to know some tricks to come out on top, but when you do, holy gently caress. Then you hope the Syndies win totally in Europe so you can pull a massive D-Day.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drone posted:

-Austria and either re-unite the empire or form the Danubian Federation (warning: this makes you incredibly powerful and, while the wars to form a reunited Austria are really fun, it instantly turns you into a superpower).

-Russia, but go full-on democratic. The Kaiserreich world is generally pretty bleak and un-democratic to begin with, so you can take up the torch of liberty against the forces of syndicalism and Germanic militarism!

-I've heard good things about Syndicalist USA. Less so about Canada, but it's at least something of a challenge and will promise you some absolutely fantastic naval battles against the Union of Britain.

Is Syndicalist USA much like playing the American Union State? I tried that once (I had just read the Huey Long biography by T. Harry Williams) and, though it makes for a change having to rely on militias and such and fighting against multiple enemies who are also fighting each other, it could get pretty grindy and such because advances were usually pretty slow and you are generally very vulnerable because of the multiple enemies all around thing.

Thinking I might do Austria or Russia. Anyone ever done France before? In the games I've done it seems they usually get into a (losing) slogging match against Germany rather than do any fun blitzkrieg stuff.

TheMcD posted:

The most fun I ever had in a Kaiserreich game was playing as the American Union State - the civil war is really hard as them, and you have to know some tricks to come out on top, but when you do, holy gently caress. Then you hope the Syndies win totally in Europe so you can pull a massive D-Day.

Think you could share some of those tricks? I might want to try to take the American Union State for a spin again, because of the challenge and Huey "Kingfish" Long

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 8, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Randarkman posted:

Is Syndicalist USA much like playing the American Union State? I tried that once (I had just read the Huey Long biography by T. Harry Williams) and, though it makes for a change having to rely on militias and such and fighting against multiple enemies who are also fighting each other, it could get pretty grindy and such because advances were usually pretty slow and you are generally very vulnerable because of the multiple enemies all around thing.

Thinking I might do Austria or Russia. Anyone ever done France before? In the games I've done it seems they usually get into a (losing) slogging match against Germany rather than do any fun blitzkrieg stuff.

Syndie USA is definitely easier than the AUS. They're the premier power in the ACW2.

EDIT:

Randarkman posted:

Think you could share some of those tricks? I might want to try to take the American Union State for a spin again, because of the challenge and Huey "Kingfish" Long

The main thing you need to realize is that the AUS succeeds by circumstance. If the dice roll the wrong way, you're probably hosed, because you're the weakest power (bar Hawaii) coming out of the USA, mainly because the PSA, while kind of weaker on paper, has the bonus of being able to stab the USA in the back while they're busy with both the AUS and the CSA. Then they can ally with the Entente, beat up on Mexico, then go from there. With the AUS, it's all or nothing. Now, here's what I did to succeed:

1) Manpower is everything. Is there a way you can gain manpower? Take it. You need every single god drat bit of it.
2) Militia is, as you would expect, your lifeblood. The fronts will eventually be way too long to afford to stack with infantry.
3) Focus on the CSA as much as you can. Try to find a stable position against the USA, then try to take the industrial center of the CSA out. This might not be possible depending on the way the cookie crumbles - in my case, the USA was hammering the gently caress out of me and made it impossible to do anything with the CSA.
4) If the "Deal With The Devil?" event pops up, take the gently caress out of it. That alliance with the CSA will be key in winning. If you do manage to do so, try to get the USA in a position where they're surrounded by your own territory, then do absolutely nothing, letting the CSA do all the work, while you surround their troops. If the USA gets taken out, war between the CSA and the AUS is declared, so you can encircle a ton of CSA units in your territory, making everything a lot easier.
5) Land isn't paramount. I ended up in a stalemate with the CSA in what was pretty much a re-do of the first Civil War with me in place of the Confederates. I ended up winning with the tactical masterstroke of abandoning the line from Texas to Louisiana, allowing the CSA to flow in - this weakened their line in the east, allowing me to take the industrial core, and since almost all of the CSA land they had afterwards wasn't cored, I had a massive IC advantage and eventually managed to win.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 8, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Randarkman posted:

I've done France a couple times and never really had any issues. In my last game as them, I remember actually being somewhat disappointed that Germany didn't put up much of a fight (though by the time I declared war on them, the Mitteleuropa alliance had basically fallen apart and they had no major friends in the world anyway).

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Well I accidentally posted in the EU4 thread, but I was hoping someone could give me a quick and dirty cheat sheet to industrialization for Victoria II. I tried the guide for the USCA thats available on the wiki, but it totally failed me. I know industrializing as a market economy is different than as a planned economy, and if anyone has tips for both, or just a general plan to follow I would appreciate it.

The last time I really played Victoria was when it was released and was unplayable with bugs, and I can tell a good amount has changed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Randarkman posted:

As in, full Congregationalist? What's that like? I know they have that one event option that gives you ALL OF THE MANPOWER, but I can't remember what the rest of their policies are like.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Is there a writeup and calculation of this somewhere? It seems really good advice if it's true but I never heard of that.
But I also suck at HoI3 tech (coming from DH/KR, I started researching 6 things at once as Germany and was quite pleased with myself until I noticed 3 years later that everyone else had like 20 researches going at once :v:), so what do I know?

The HoI3 Wiki has a Reference Page but it's nothing like a guide, and the Germany Strategy Guide hasn't got anything approaching a comprehensive Research strategy either.

However:

quote:

What do the theory technologies do?

Theory techs do two things in Their Finest Hour. They generate additional theory in whatever the relevant category is (as if you had researched a regular tech in that category), and they reduce the rate of decay of theoretical knowledge in that field. In many cases, theories are not necessary to research because you are generating plenty of theory by researching actual technologies in the field. However, there are times when you want to either generate additional theory quickly to compensate for a poor starting position, or you want to cut the decay of theoretical knowledge to save on research costs later. Newer players can usually skip most of these technologies, except for the ones that impact supply. Theory techs mostly benefit experienced players attempting to do something creative with specialized units, like generating jet engine theory or nuclear theory.

Pitruzzello, Jason (2013-06-26). The Communist Campaign in Karelia: A Hearts of Iron III Strategy Guide (Kindle Locations 2172-2179). Paradox Interactive. Kindle Edition.

Six simultaneous techs is a truly minuscule amount of research when playing Germany. On 1-1-36 you've got 29.68 Leadership points to play with and (1) you don't really need any spies outside an extra five in doing domestic counterespionage, which takes a day to achieve, (2) a steady trickle of <1 points in Diplomacy will give you enough Influence to autotrade away, and (3) you start off with 140% officers and are able to keep up with the requirements pretty easily.

I'm investing 30 points in Research and 8.3 in officers on 26-5-39 in a custom game right now. At which point your research options might start looking like this:

etc.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

As in, full Congregationalist? What's that like? I know they have that one event option that gives you ALL OF THE MANPOWER, but I can't remember what the rest of their policies are like.

It's quite a while ago, so I don't remember everything but yeah I got quite alot of manpower (though my army was mostly small mobile or specialized units), I don't remember if I went full congregationalist but I got the female head of government and had quite a few woman ministers as well and such. What I remember most of that game was the bloodbath in Denmark (not the best place to try to invade against Germany because you are in range of ALOT of airfields) and battles against the Royal Navy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheMcD posted:

The USA faction I found the hardest was actually the USA itself, but of course it really depends on how the events break down that particular run (if you're fighting two separate USA factions, the Pacific States, Canada, and Mexico, it isn't going to be good no matter what else happens).

One tip: IIRC, any militia received via event that you upgrade to infantry will stick with you after the end of the war.

Another tip: IIRC, any militia you build, unless you upgrade them to infantry, will disappear at the end of the war.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Longtiem posted:

Well I accidentally posted in the EU4 thread, but I was hoping someone could give me a quick and dirty cheat sheet to industrialization for Victoria II. I tried the guide for the USCA thats available on the wiki, but it totally failed me. I know industrializing as a market economy is different than as a planned economy, and if anyone has tips for both, or just a general plan to follow I would appreciate it.

The last time I really played Victoria was when it was released and was unplayable with bugs, and I can tell a good amount has changed.

As the USCA you're pretty far down on the totem pole. You need to claw your way up if you want to have any hope of industrializing. This means grabbing as much land as possible, which directly increases your prestige and military score, while giving you larger industrial potential (priority RGO access + larger captive consumer base).

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Longtiem posted:

Literacy is key to promoting craftsmen and clerks, and don't neglect infrastructure and input efficiency techs if you want factories to make a profit (and worker POPs are paid via profits so you'll want profit to keep the workers from demoting/emigrating)

Industrialisation cheat sheet:

- Promote bureaucrats to 1% in the state (they speed up promotion of other POPs)
- Promote clergymen to 2% in the state (for literacy and research)
- Promote capitalists until you have a factory that isn't bankrupt all the time (if you have state capitalism/planned economy, skip this and build the factories yourself, paying attention to bonuses from resources in the state)

- Research and build infrastructure
- Research input efficiency techs
- Research output/throughput techs specific to your industries

- Conquer/sphere more population to buy your piles of cheap junk
- Conquer/sphere interesting resources to make more expensive junk in the future

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there any reason to build/use Anti-Air brigades in HoI3? I suspected they were at best an edge case, but reading through the wiki it looks like they don't even provide province-level AA, so it's at best useful if you have a division all on its own that you think could get attacked by the air a lot?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is there any reason to build/use Anti-Air brigades in HoI3? I suspected they were at best an edge case, but reading through the wiki it looks like they don't even provide province-level AA, so it's at best useful if you have a division all on its own that you think could get attacked by the air a lot?

Given how pointless brigades or niche divisions are in HOI games, I imagine the answer is "build multi-roles instead". Gort will know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Yes, in HoI2/DH I'll only even slap them on HQ units because the AI loves to snipe them with CAS which is made pointless in hoi3 since HQs are pretty much free to make and you have a billion of them.

e: you have to build provincial AA for that effect which isn't a completely awful idea if you're Germany or the UK where you have a couple of provinces that are going to get the crap bombed out of them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I started up as USA in Kaiserreich intending to play as either AUS or the Syndicalists, then I realized that I had completely forgotten about how research works in DH for the first three months, though I don't think it will matter much in my case anyway.

Also Russia has gone full on military dictatorship police state.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

They're the most isolationist of the UoB parties, so they're the least willing to go spreading the revolution (yet on the other hand get the largest manpower boost :v: ). If you win the second weltkrieg and get to the next election event though, the game describes your leader as being viewed as a "new Elizabeth I" or something along those lines which is neat.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Given how pointless brigades or niche divisions are in HOI games, I imagine the answer is "build multi-roles instead". Gort will know.

How about engineers? Right now I'm trying to stick my divisions to:

-3 inf, 1 artillery
-3 inf, 1 anti-tank
-2 light tank, 1-2 motorized inf

I don't think I can break Germany's back (I'm Spain, so if I'm lucky I'll have 5 corps and be able to get them positioned in Northern France before fall of 39), but I'm hoping I can hold France. Wondering if the engineer's defensive bonus is worth something.

Edit- also are there any guides/walkthroughs of how to best manage your airforce? I'm trying to maintain a moderate number of interceptors but I'm not sure how best to utilize them.
-If I base them in France once I ally with them, is there a penalty to their organization/manpower reinforcement? I remember a previous playthrough their organization seemed to bottom out
-Should I group all the wings into one big unit, or keep them as small as possible?
-What's a good way to keep them on watch for bombers trying to soften up my defensive lines?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 8, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Koesj posted:

The HoI3 Wiki has a Reference Page but it's nothing like a guide, and the Germany Strategy Guide hasn't got anything approaching a comprehensive Research strategy either.

However:

Six simultaneous techs is a truly minuscule amount of research when playing Germany. On 1-1-36 you've got 29.68 Leadership points to play with and (1) you don't really need any spies outside an extra five in doing domestic counterespionage, which takes a day to achieve, (2) a steady trickle of <1 points in Diplomacy will give you enough Influence to autotrade away, and (3) you start off with 140% officers and are able to keep up with the requirements pretty easily.

I'm investing 30 points in Research and 8.3 in officers on 26-5-39 in a custom game right now. At which point your research options might start looking like this:

etc.

Yeah I just thought the research was gonna be like in DH with its 5 max slots. Gonna disregard pure theory tech from now on, thanks!
Also: That loving 29.99 rounding :negative:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Engineers are only worth their cost if you're attacking forts across rivers or something, and even then a Marine division might work better.

3INF+ART, 2INF+ART+AT, LARM+MOT+AC+AC, and ARM+MOT+SPART+AC are all good basic divisions if you want to keep things relatively simple.

e:

GrossMurpel posted:

Also: That loving 29.99 rounding :negative:

I put it on 29.99 because of the icon insisting I could do more research while investing exactly 30 points :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

:catstare:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Koesj posted:

Engineers are only worth their cost if you're attacking forts across rivers or something, and even then a Marine division might work better.

3INF+ART, 2INF+ART+AT, LARM+MOT+AC+AC, and ARM+MOT+SPART+AC are all good basic divisions if you want to keep things relatively simple.

e:

I put it on 29.99 because of the icon insisting I could do more research while investing exactly 30 points :v:

Exactly.
"Hey the player is actually investing 30.00001 points, better tell him about it! :woop:"

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Haha what the gently caress?

Are you using a mod? Also, are there good ways to keep, let's say, my liege from uncovering my plot to murder him? Other than just having high Intrigue, I mean.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Martello posted:

Haha what the gently caress?

Are you using a mod? Also, are there good ways to keep, let's say, my liege from uncovering my plot to murder him? Other than just having high Intrigue, I mean.

It's just an image a friend sent me, so not sure. I found (and this is just personal experience) that auto inviting plotters gives you a higher chance to invite some dipshit with 2% plot power who will uncover you. I generally invite or bribe/invite manually till I'm around 200% then be patient.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm more frightened by the 26 prisoners. Ransom some of those for money, they can't all be direct vassals!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koesj posted:

e:

I thought armored cars were lovely? Is it for the combined arms bonus?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

I thought armored cars were lovely? Is it for the combined arms bonus?

Speed bonus on plains (doubles if you include two), some hardness and soft attack, cheap, CA bonus, they're pretty useful.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Elendil004 posted:

It's just an image a friend sent me, so not sure. I found (and this is just personal experience) that auto inviting plotters gives you a higher chance to invite some dipshit with 2% plot power who will uncover you. I generally invite or bribe/invite manually till I'm around 200% then be patient.

Yeah I think that was the problem, I was lazy and checked auto-invite. I've had a few successful assassination plots even with auto, including a vassal who insta-revolted as soon as I took the crown of Sicily. It was p triumphant because he was one of three dukes revolting simultaneously.

The Charlemagne DLC seems cool, I like that they removed the Assassination button. While it was convenient, it was usually prohibitively expensive and the chances were often terrible, so I'd rather just do the plot way. It seems more in line with the way the game works anyway.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kavak posted:

I'm more frightened by the 26 prisoners. Ransom some of those for money, they can't all be direct vassals!

I wish I could automatically ransom or execute prisoners - as Norse you want to keep a few around for sacrifices, but I'm always collecting random courtiers and barons in raids and the interface for getting rid of dozens of prisoners is tedious.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wish I could automatically ransom or execute prisoners - as Norse you want to keep a few around for sacrifices, but I'm always collecting random courtiers and barons in raids and the interface for getting rid of dozens of prisoners is tedious.

The weird part is there's a button for it straight from the prisoner screen, but it takes you to diplomacy instead.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Martello posted:

The weird part is there's a button for it straight from the prisoner screen, but it takes you to diplomacy instead.

That button should be grayed out if you can't ransom a prisoner. The worst thing is to click for ransom, finding that their liege won't pay, having to backtracking back to prisoner tab and trying to remember which one of them was it, so you can skip that one when going for the next prisoner.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

That button should be grayed out if you can't ransom a prisoner. The worst thing is to click for ransom, finding that their liege won't pay, having to backtracking back to prisoner tab and trying to remember which one of them was it, so you can skip that one when going for the next prisoner.

It is? They changed it a while back.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah it's grayed out. But it would be nice if clicking it just automatically made it happen so you could just go click click click down the line if you have a bunch.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It is? They changed it a while back.

Oh thank God! I haven't played for a while now, been planning to get back with the new DLC.

Martello posted:

Yeah it's grayed out. But it would be nice if clicking it just automatically made it happen so you could just go click click click down the line if you have a bunch.

Yeah, this would be best.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Martello posted:

It would be nice if there was a lot more contrast between them too. It can sometimes be tricky to tell the difference between ransomable and not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
If I change my succession laws from Gavelkind to Primogeniture as the Duke of Calabria and then later become the King of Sicily (or one of my heirs does), will that transfer to my new kingdom, or do I have to wait ten years and change the laws again? Really getting sick of my awful little second and third sons taking all my counties away. And with my Lustful+Lustful marriage, it's not like I'll stop having the fuckers anytime soon unless I murder my wife.

• Locked thread