Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing DW8PC again, there's still something else about the gamepad controls that is off, and I can't put my finger on it at all. It just feels wrong all the time and I stop playing after one stage and go to another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

There's definitely some dropped inputs and things with 360 controller + DW8PC but personally after a dozen hours I got used to anticipating them and didn't have problems playing max difficulty levels/beating challenge goals. YMMV. I haven't played DW since the PS2 era prior to this though so maybe there's something I'm missing.

I do have this copy of WO3U here waiting to be played though!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I bought 7 today because I figured I might as well try this poo poo out. Got through the tutorial and I like it so far. Then I looked at the in-game encyclopedia. Hooooly poo poo.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This game will not let me remap controls. When I go into the control map screen, suddenly all buttons cease to do anything, on both controller and keyboard, I can not assign anything. For some reason clicking in the right analog stick will quit to the main menu though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Some of these Adventure Mode levels are kind of rough, I can't for the life of me A-rank the Arbiter's Grounds level where you have to beat 700 enemies while Gohmas chase you all around the map.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh man, DW8's alternate soldier costumes can't be used in the campaign? What a bummer.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh man, DW8's alternate soldier costumes can't be used in the campaign? What a bummer.

They do work in Free Mode, for what that's worth.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maleketh posted:

They do work in Free Mode, for what that's worth.

And ambition. They're basically just not allowed in the campaign for whatever reason (maybe out of respect for the books?)

Also any heroes you set a costume on will keep that one in ambition/free mode (though it can be turned off at least in free.)

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just lost a several mission deep story mode because it turns out clicking the r3 button down at any time will now boot me to the main menu, even though the last time I played that was how I brought up the pause menu to save and stuff. This pc port is actually a mess.

It also still won't let me rebind controls.

Edit: Positive news is it turns out I didn't lose the entire progress, as there's a continue option for each individual story mode deeper in the sub menus, I just lost progress on one mission.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 6, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

uhm maybe your controller is just hosed up

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Davincie posted:

uhm maybe your controller is just hosed up

It's just a normal ds4 that works fine with other pc games though. I mean, this is the game that when I enter the screen to rebind player 1's controls, literally doesn't let any button on mouse/keyboard/controller get pressed or do anything. I'm quicker to blame the game than a controller that works fine elsewhere.

I'm trying validating my steam install right now incase somehow that was just hosed up.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 6, 2014

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I noticed that Dynasty Warriors 8 on the PC would auto-map controller buttons to reasonable buttons when I had an actual wired Xbox 360 controller plugged in, but when I plugged in my Logitech PC controller with XInput, the buttons were auto-mapped to something bizarre and weird. But if I plugged in the 360 controller as the player that WOULD be using the Logitech, then tell the game to reset mappings to defaults, it auto-maps the buttons to be like the 360 controller buttons, then switching that player back to the Logitech one works fine.

Somehow the game is really weird about specific controllers?? I would expect any XInput controller to map the same as a 360 controller but apparently not. But I was able to use a 360 controller to auto-map controls properly, at least.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So I've figured out every character weapon gimmick except the baton for Zelda. The very first time I played with it, I was able to summon a huge tornado with the Strong Attack button. Ever since then, all I can get is a dinky little tornado. I have no idea how to get the big one consistently. It doesn't seem based on what combo attack level you used. It doesn't seem based on how many enemies you knock out with a combo attack. It doesn't seem based on movement, like I thought maybe if you stood still after a combo attack you'd get the big one because the wind swirling around you will dissipate if you move. That doesn't seem to be it either. I've figured all of them out except this one and it's driving me nuts.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Press and hold X?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
For those with a Japanese PSN account, the Create a Character demo for DW8: Empires is out now. Much like in DW7 Empires, all DLC weapons from DW8CE are in for free, and some of them have been assigned to previous characters as their new EX Weapons. (For example, Sun Quan now has the Flame Blade as his DLC weapon, the Sword seems to be Created Character exclusive now)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So Yahtzee reviewed Hyrule Warriors. Most of the jabs were directed at the Zelda franchise, but in regards to the "Warriors" side of the formula I got the impression he wasn't sold. Can't say that I'm surprised or bothered. Musou games probably have the mellowest fans (watch as someone now posts a link to a hyperdefensive dickweed with the complete Warriors Orochi body pillow collection).

Then I clicked the comments section. DAMNIT WHY DO I KEEP DOING THIS TO MYSELF!??! :saddowns:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Warriors games are my favorite franchise that critics consistently despise. We're probably like those weird, rare people in Europe that like that horrid casu marzu cheese.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

5er posted:

Warriors games are my favorite franchise that critics consistently despise. We're probably like those weird, rare people in Europe that like that horrid casu marzu cheese.

Apparently, Europeans make a sizable percentage of Western warriors fans, so that's an apt description :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You can't exactly blame them.

The baseline mechanics have barely changed. The combat itself, your characters and handling is one thing that has changed, but the off-screen mechanics and your people being completely useless have only ramped UP over the years. The more people on-screen, the less skilled they all are.(Makes sense, the less it has to track the better, I suppose).

It's still fair enough to play. It's painful to see people down on a Warriors game simply because it is a Warriors game, and it's also painful to see people bash it due to a seeming 'lack of difficulty' when that often ain't the case.

I can't blame them, though.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 8, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

As someone who really enjoys Warriors titles, I also recognize that it is probably the worst implementation of its own idea possible. Adding anything, be it light strategic controls, campaign-based resource management, making siege weapons, forts, and supply lines actually important, or borrowing some ideas from DOTA (I believe Guilty Gear Overture did this? Never got to play it) would make a Warriors title far richer and more engaging, while not hampering the brawler save-the-day gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

As someone who really enjoys Warriors titles, I also recognize that it is probably the worst implementation of its own idea possible. Adding anything, be it light strategic controls, campaign-based resource management, making siege weapons, forts, and supply lines actually important, or borrowing some ideas from DOTA (I believe Guilty Gear Overture did this? Never got to play it) would make a Warriors title far richer and more engaging, while not hampering the brawler save-the-day gameplay.
All of those things would distract from what makes Warriors games fun, though, which is just jumping in and killing tons of dudes. I don't want to worry about siege weapons, forts, and supply lines. I want to kill tons of dudes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Go kill dudes at the enemy supply line, then defend it from more dudes until your dudes get there!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I actually do want to worry about strategic poo poo, but luckily there's a parallel series of games for people like me (on consoles that I don't own)!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

All of those things would distract from what makes Warriors games fun, though, which is just jumping in and killing tons of dudes. I don't want to worry about siege weapons, forts, and supply lines. I want to kill tons of dudes.
Apparently Tecmo-Koei executives were outright stated to feel this way as well, back when a goon was said to be working on localizing for them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The least I want is for my troops and generals to not be...window dressing. You know? Make the off-screen stuff not so harsh that they're whining at everything like the boy who cried 'Wolf' or dying instantaneously.

Maybe the Empires games do what I want. I wouldn't know. I've never owned one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bloodly posted:

The least I want is for my troops and generals to not be...window dressing. You know? Make the off-screen stuff not so harsh that they're whining at everything like the boy who cried 'Wolf' or dying instantaneously.

Maybe the Empires games do what I want. I wouldn't know. I've never owned one.

Eh, the only real strategy is the between missions stuff, the actual Warriors part of the game plays pretty much the same only the stages are ever so slightly more free-form and tend to be shorter.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

DW7: Empires was interesting, as you have a suite of Tactics you could use in battle that expanded as you leveled up your characters. Your choice was based on your character's personality, which was dependent on your actions in the game. Some of the tactics were as simple as "spawn lots of dudes", whilst others unleashed fire attacks whenever you wanted, converted bases, summoned ambushes, taunted enemies or changed the environment of the map by causing floods or rockslides. Interestingly, both allied and enemy generals would use their own Tactics at will, and the AI was probably the best in the series. Even taking on generic officers was tough as they would attack relentlessly and use their Musou attacks. The game even had an achivement for clearing a battle without killing anyone.

DW8: Empires is expanding on this by increasing the amount of Tactics you can use (including ones that change the maps more, but require time to use, and strategies that are weather dependent) as well as allowing the player to construct their own bases, forts and siege weapons on the map.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

DW7: Empires was interesting, as you have a suite of Tactics you could use in battle that expanded as you leveled up your characters. Your choice was based on your character's personality, which was dependent on your actions in the game. Some of the tactics were as simple as "spawn lots of dudes", whilst others unleashed fire attacks whenever you wanted, converted bases, summoned ambushes, taunted enemies or changed the environment of the map by causing floods or rockslides. Interestingly, both allied and enemy generals would use their own Tactics at will, and the AI was probably the best in the series. Even taking on generic officers was tough as they would attack relentlessly and use their Musou attacks. The game even had an achivement for clearing a battle without killing anyone.

DW8: Empires is expanding on this by increasing the amount of Tactics you can use (including ones that change the maps more, but require time to use, and strategies that are weather dependent) as well as allowing the player to construct their own bases, forts and siege weapons on the map.

This sounds amazing. PLEASE come to PC :(

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I was thinking it'd be cool if there was some sort of quasi-randomized game mode in Hyrule Warriors or whatever where your HQ is at a semi-random fort on one side, the enemy HQ is a semi-random fort on the other side, throw in some random officer units around the map, and go try to conquer the other side. The officers could be set to occasionally rush your bases or defend theirs, I dunno. I guess Hyrule Warriors has quite a lot of content in it as it is, but it'd be nice if Free Play had an option to just do a random map with any character with random start positions, and go forth and turn the map blue. It'd be like randomized remixes of the stages. Some of those Adventure mode stages are nice remixes of the story mode stages, but they don't have randomized starting positions or anything, and have fixed positions and events and whatever.

I dunno if they have anything quite like what I'm thinking of in other Warriors games, or if it would be any good in practice. But that's what I thought of while I was trying repeatedly to unlock Zelda's level 2 baton weapon. It was fun trying to conquer the enemy armies, but once I've got that level down, it's always gonna be the same level.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

aren't the special stages (when you go three or five in a row) of ambition mode basically a very basic version of that?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Anonymous Robot posted:

This sounds amazing. PLEASE come to PC :(

Sadly no PC release date has been announced yet :(

The "Empires" games also have a create-a-character system where you can make your own dude, give them the EX weapon of whoever you want, and go conquer China as them. 7 onwards would even import other players' created characters who'd spawn randomly on the world map and can be recruited by any faction.
From 7 onwards, you can allow a custom character to replace any NPC in the game. Very useful for history sperges like me who really want dudes like Cheng Pu and Yuan Shu and Liao Hua and guys the average players don't care about in the game. In DW8 Empires, apparently there is space for 850 (!!!) created characters.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

aren't the special stages (when you go three or five in a row) of ambition mode basically a very basic version of that?

Is it? I've got DW8 on PC, but never tried Ambition mode. I mostly just played through the main campaign for the main factions when I was waiting for Hyrule Warriors to come out, so that game might have the kind of thing I was thinking of. DW8 had a lot of stuff in it that I didn't do.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it's not very good or anything but those special stages have you start out in a random spot with a leader you gotta defend and friendly officers all around the map fighting enemy officers along lines. then you got the choice to go kill the enemy boss or just normal officers. you also gotta open some gates and poo poo like that. if its in the xl portion of the game they also add camps you can conquer for more infantry spawning/supplies/items/other things i forgot. both your allies and the enemies fight for them and you can give orders for your men to focus on certain camps. besides some theming (ie. a shu army, an other army and so on) there doesn't seem to be much set in place.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

On the subject of 8-Empires, other features include:

Custom Battle Mode, where you can choose a map, choose whoever you want to be your allies and whoever you want to be your enemies and go wild. Apparently you can also set basic events like ambushes, reinforcements and win conditions?

Create-A-Banner Mode, make your own flags and banners for your custom character's army! Choose from a variety of colours or designs, or upload you own if you wanna go around conquering China under the banner of goatse or whatever.

Customisable Peons, where you can edit the general appearance, uniform style and colours for your army. You can also change their proportions, the first screenshots released of this had an army of peons with funny big heads. Remember those Big Head Mode Cheats on old PS1 games? Yeah.

Customisable Horses! :allears: Make whatever kind of horse you want for your character. Either a delicate and tiny pink pony or giant gently caress off war stallion painted as black as the darkest night and covered in armour drenched in the blood of your enemies, or anything inbetween.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Customisable Horses! :allears: Make whatever kind of horse you want for your character. Either a delicate and tiny pink pony or giant gently caress off war stallion painted as black as the darkest night and covered in armour drenched in the blood of your enemies, or anything inbetween.

This was the feature that I never knew I wanted until I heard about it.

Yes, my afro-topped, monocle-wearing, oversized, pugil-stick wielding monstrosity shall ride into battle on ONLY the finest of steeds, dyed only in the deepest shade of emerald... or orange. Whichever looks more ridiculous.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Brony Hunter posted:

On the subject of 8-Empires, other features include:

Custom Battle Mode, where you can choose a map, choose whoever you want to be your allies and whoever you want to be your enemies and go wild. Apparently you can also set basic events like ambushes, reinforcements and win conditions?

Create-A-Banner Mode, make your own flags and banners for your custom character's army! Choose from a variety of colours or designs, or upload you own if you wanna go around conquering China under the banner of goatse or whatever.

Customisable Peons, where you can edit the general appearance, uniform style and colours for your army. You can also change their proportions, the first screenshots released of this had an army of peons with funny big heads. Remember those Big Head Mode Cheats on old PS1 games? Yeah.

This is everything I have ever wanted. You better loving localize this Koei.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Raku posted:

This is everything I have ever wanted. You better loving localize this Koei.

It comes out in NA and EU early next year :)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

At this point, I'm pretty sure Koei is completely fine with localizing this stuff since it's all digital releases, without new voice acting, and the translation doesn't have to be perfect. Probably saves them a ton of cash, and their profits are better for it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I kind of miss the old bad dubs though. Lots of times I'm too busy to read the subtitles, and they never translate what people shout anyway. Also the old dubs for like the ps2 games seemed to be done by hobos off the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Now I just want there to be a shout-out to that on the boxes.

"FEATURES:

-Kill a billion dudes
-Pursue Lu Bu
-Learn bastardized Chinese history
-Hobo dub
-Butt rock"