Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

We're just assuming it's Braille anyway. It might just be a bumpy room.

Supervillain wants a secret bump room, what's the big deal?

Maybe Dr. Wells is Dr. Mid-Nite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People were asking about some of the changes from the leaked pilot to the official airing. They improved some of the SFX shots but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking real close.

Oh yeah, and ratings wise...

quote:

“The Flash” finished third in the 8 p.m. hour with a 3.4/ 5, which was The CW’s highest-rated premiere in the overnights since “90210” on Sept. 2, 2008 (translation: six years). Comparably, episode one of “The Flash” bested “The Originals” on the year-ago evening (1.3/ 2 on 10/08/13) by 166 percent. It beat the first hour of special “The iHeartradio Music Festival” last Tuesday (0.7/ 1) by a mammoth 386 percent. And “The Flash” outdelivered the debut of parent series “Arrow” (3.0/ 5 on 10/12/12) by 13 percent. And also very promising was the growth of one-tenth of a rating point (or three percent) at 8:30 p.m. (3.3/ 5 to 3.4/ 5). Given the available platform, “The Flash” is off to a fast – and “winning” – start on The CW, which is also expected to resonate via the DVR and in social media.

Looks like the leak didn't hurt.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 8, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Krad posted:

Why would ANY newspaper talk about economy on the front page when the world is about to end? :psyduck:

They may not exactly know that its because of the world ending, you know. Just that there's Red Skies and boy isn't that strange (and that is actually how it basically played out in some tie in issues to the original).

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011

zoux posted:

People were asking about some of the changes from the leaked pilot to the official airing. They improved some of the SFX shots but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking real close.

Oh yeah, and ratings wise...

Looks like the leak didn't hurt.

Awesome news and they're even re-airing it tonight after the Arrow premiere so maybe they pick-up a few more stragglers for next week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The actual important rating for last night's episode was a 1.8 (the 3.4 listed above is the full rating which really doesn't matter). It's well above the CW average but it's a pilot so that's always going to start off high.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Either way, between this on TY and GOTG in the box office, it's encouraging to see that people actually DO enjoy positivity in their superhero media.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The actual important rating for last night's episode was a 1.8 (the 3.4 listed above is the full rating which really doesn't matter). It's well above the CW average but it's a pilot so that's always going to start off high.

Well, part of it does.

A big part of CW's target demo isn't actually in 18-49.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Alright you big downer

quote:

On the CW, the series premiere of The Flash earned a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating, making it the CW's most-watched and highest-rated series debut since The Vampire Diaries premiered in 2009.

So biggest premiere in five years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Alright you big downer

So biggest premiere in five years.

I'm not a downer! That's a great rating for CW. I'm just saying that people really don't pay any attention to the full rating. The demo ratings are what's almost always used so saying a 3.4 when people are used to seeing demo ratings posted may give people the wrong idea.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I'm not a downer! That's a great rating for CW. I'm just saying that people really don't pay any attention to the full rating. The demo ratings are what's almost always used so saying a 3.4 when people are used to seeing demo ratings posted may give people the wrong idea.
Yeah, I saw that number in the post and was blown away under the assumption it was 18-49.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Can I just say that I really loved the theme song to the show? Like, the heroic fanfare that acts as Barry's theme, I think, with the two-note motif repeated? That, and I expected Barry and Ollie meeting to be kind of cheesy, but when the music swelled as they "Cool"-ed each other, incorporating elements of both the Flash and Arrow soundtracks, I got goosebumps a li'l bit. To me it hinted at the possibility of a larger DC universe beginning (after the Batman vs. Superman movie fails to get it off the ground, probably).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Can I just say that I really loved the theme song to the show? Like, the heroic fanfare that acts as Barry's theme, I think, with the two-note motif repeated? That, and I expected Barry and Ollie meeting to be kind of cheesy, but when the music swelled as they "Cool"-ed each other, incorporating elements of both the Flash and Arrow soundtracks, I got goosebumps a li'l bit. To me it hinted at the possibility of a larger DC universe beginning (after the Batman vs. Superman movie fails to get it off the ground, probably).

The theme for me seems to follow a kind of... 'realisation, followed by action' kind of narrative. Like, you'll have the two note choir when Barry is either realising that he has super speed, or what he has to do to stop a bad guy, followed by a faster tempo for the action itself. Then going back to the two-notes as the audience is just meant to sit back and watch in awe as the fastest man alive goes to town.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The second greatest gif to come out of this universe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

With Jesse Martin playing the detective in this show I'm hoping that Sam Waterston is the DA of Central City...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Random Stranger posted:

With Jesse Martin playing the detective in this show I'm hoping that Sam Waterston is the DA of Central City...

I seriously had to remind myself a couple of times this wasn't a Law & Order episode

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Law and Order: Metahuman Crimes Unit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Numbers posted:

The second greatest gif to come out of this universe.

I have to ask, what's the first?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruceski posted:

I have to ask, what's the first?

Dancing Deathstroke in the Arrow OP.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just starting ep. Can I officially call it now that his mom and dad are "attacked" by future The Flash who goes back in time somehow...

I don't know... just looked... odd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

Just starting ep. Can I officially call it now that his mom and dad are "attacked" by future The Flash who goes back in time somehow...

I dunno, the costume colours looked... reversed, didn't they?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gaz-L posted:

I dunno, the costume colours looked... reversed, didn't they?

Oh maybe I wasn't looking closely. I definitely saw red and yellow but not enough to say. Do you mean there was just far more yellow than red?

[edit] re-looked. About 50/50.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Feenix posted:

Oh maybe I wasn't looking closely. I definitely saw red and yellow but not enough to say. Do you mean there was just far more yellow than red?

It might have been hard as they were zooming past.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think if you freeze frame and real pixel Hunter Zolomon you can get a good look at him.

Death to puns.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Feenix posted:

I'll just tell you right now that anyone even vaguely familiar with Flash comics knows exactly what was happening in that scene. Maybe not the motivations, though I can make a guess with pretty high confidence, but the actual event occurring is obvious. I know comics information isn't spoilers, but it seems unfair to television only viewers to spell things out for them this early. Still, they were not attacked by Barry traveling from the future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Lord Bude posted:

Does this mean you haven't seen Arrow? because if so this is a serious quality of life flaw that needs to be rectified at the earliest possible opportunity.

I have not, but I've heard so many good things about it that I think you're right, it is time I rectified this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 3 premieres tonight so make sure you set it to record or you're gonna be mad at yourself in a couple of weeks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I have not, but I've heard so many good things about it that I think you're right, it is time I rectified this.

Season 2 is now on Netflix, so go go go and catch up with us for next week.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Feenix posted:

Here's my guess, as it's the only thing that would make sense - Bad guy with superspeed and the Flash both go back in time, the giant super fast mess in the living room was the two fighting. If there was just a bad guy the mom/Barry would just die before they realized what happened. Future flash saves child version of himself. Just one super speed guy wouldn't make any sense in that bizzare situation.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Flash was adjusted up to a 1.9 in the demo in the final Tuesday ratings. For basic comparison purposes, Arrow's series premiere drew a 1.3 two years ago. Very promising start.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ed-down/312116/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I found a lot to be pretty hokey and stilted in the first ep. Buuutttttt, it was a first ep. Show will likely be just fine.

"CSI coming through! Pardon me!" *runs through a crowd of 3 people instead of taking the gigantic open space on either side of them.*

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The scene with his dad in the jail is so loving good. The ep could have been total dog poo poo and I'd be 100% invested in the show just for that scene. Luckily the ep was awesome.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

The scene with his dad in the jail is so loving good. The ep could have been total dog poo poo and I'd be 100% invested in the show just for that scene. Luckily the ep was awesome.

I only just realised that with the way its set up, its a major parallel to Ollie's parental situation (or how it was prior to the tail end of season 2). Mother instead of father, it leaves the son with questions instead of answers, and the other parent is innocent (so far as we know, but I really doubt they'd pull that twist on Shipp's character) rather than an accessory to wrongdoing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I liked this even more than I expected to, and I'm really looking forward to having an actual fun live action superhero show.
Grant Gustin is really charming, but the show wouldn't work without a good supporting cast, and Martin and Cavanagh lend it significant gravitas.
also Candice Patton is absurdly cute.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Astro Nut posted:

I only just realised that with the way its set up, its a major parallel to Ollie's parental situation (or how it was prior to the tail end of season 2). Mother instead of father, it leaves the son with questions instead of answers, and the other parent is innocent (so far as we know, but I really doubt they'd pull that twist on Shipp's character) rather than an accessory to wrongdoing.

There's really no parallel to the parental situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

There's really no parallel to the parental situation.

Hey, we don't KNOW Mrs Allen didn't get stabbed through the heart by a one-eyed Australian super-soldier.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The only real parallel is Ollie was trying to right his dad's wrongs while Barry is trying to redeem his.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's interesting to me that Barry and his dad are visiting through glass and over phones, since he's in Iron Heights and the Queen situation was different.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

It's interesting to me that Barry and his dad are visiting through glass and over phones, since he's in Iron Heights and the Queen situation was different.

Oliver and Thea Queen, even with their mom in jail, had millions of dollars courtesy of a large corporation and a very popular, high-end nightclub.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spoiler protecting some speculation based on knowledge of the comics. If you don't know, it won't kill you to see; just trying to not be a jerk:

Given that the promotion for the show is all about becoming a hero and given some of the dialog in the episode, I'm pretty sure that they're going to be blending both Z's together. Z1's origin and Z2's motivations. Which would make sinister scientist guy Z1 and Zolomon a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Random Stranger posted:

Spoiler protecting some speculation based on knowledge of the comics. If you don't know, it won't kill you to see; just trying to not be a jerk:

Given that the promotion for the show is all about becoming a hero and given some of the dialog in the episode, I'm pretty sure that they're going to be blending both Z's together. Z1's origin and Z2's motivations. Which would make sinister scientist guy Z1 and Zolomon a red herring.

You mean Thawn?

• Locked thread