Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Did you know they've made Discworld miniatures? They're pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh, Vimes, de Worde and von Lipwig are already more or less this.

Ankh Morpork is hardly lacking for stories about the plucky new comer barging in and ruffling feathers among the city elite.

Yeah, but I was picturing the existing Assassins as the protagonists and the newcomers being less... moral isn't the word, maybe I'm looking for "restrained".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, but I was picturing the existing Assassins as the protagonists and the newcomers being less... moral isn't the word, maybe I'm looking for "restrained".

I doubt Vetinari would take kindly to a shadow war of assassinations.

Actually, no, wait, he would probably enjoy it up until the point it started interfering with the day to day life of the city, which of course it would inevitably do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mirthdefect posted:

Those are indeed pretty rad.

Reading through the descriptions, I learned something! When did we learn that the Guild of Assassins has a "a considerable price" on the Duck Man's head?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Those are indeed pretty rad.

Reading through the descriptions, I learned something! When did we learn that the Guild of Assassins has a "a considerable price" on the Duck Man's head?

I think, but could be wrong, that it's mentioned in The Truth.
Something about how he's such an easy target that no one wants to sully their reputation by being the one to inhume him perhaps?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

mirthdefect posted:

Those are fantastic.

Not that I'd have any use for them.

I'd just have to explain to people what they are and that ruins the point of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mirthdefect posted:

I think, but could be wrong, that it's mentioned in The Truth.
Something about how he's such an easy target that no one wants to sully their reputation by being the one to inhume him perhaps?

That's why nobody takes on the contract. It's unconfirmed but believed he took to the streets because the contract was put on him and he knew no assassin would stoop.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wasn't there an explanation in one of the books where the assassins would only take contracts on people who can defend themselves*?

*people worth a certain amount of money are assumed to be able to defend themselves, or hire someone to do so for them.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Nihilarian posted:

Wasn't there an explanation in one of the books where the assassins would only take contracts on people who can defend themselves*?

*people worth a certain amount of money are assumed to be able to defend themselves, or hire someone to do so for them.

No, it's that they'll only actually kill people who are ready to defend themselves. They'll accept a contract on anyone, they'll just won't kill you when you're helpless. It's unsporting.

*If you make at least 10,000 AMD per year you are assumed to have hired bodyguards who are always ready to defend you. If not, that's your problem.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stroth posted:

No, it's that they'll only actually kill people who are ready to defend themselves. They'll accept a contract on anyone, they'll just won't kill you when you're helpless. It's unsporting.

*If you make at least 10,000 AMD per year you are assumed to have hired bodyguards who are always ready to defend you. If not, that's your problem.
That's the one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stroth posted:

There are also certain people (the Patrician) where the Guild know they are better off with them alive than dead, so the contract is priced to the point where nobody can afford it. Vimes is similar, but in his case the Guild have put up the money themselves in the expectation that nobody will be able to claim it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Jedit posted:

There are also certain people (the Patrician) where the Guild know they are better off with them alive than dead, so the contract is priced to the point where nobody can afford it. Vimes is similar, but in his case the Guild have put up the money themselves in the expectation that nobody will be able to claim it.

Aren't both Vimes and the Patrician eventually struck off the register, and are used at most for training exercises?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Aren't both Vimes and the Patrician eventually struck off the register, and are used at most for training exercises?

Vimes is used as a training exercise to teach students the dangers of complacency and over confidence. Also, to not piss off their teachers. Vetinari is left alone.

And both of them are off the register entirely, no contracts accepted. The reasoning being that the inhumation of either would cause so much chaos and upset that it would inevitably cost the Guild far more than they could possibly make on the contract, no matter how large.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

The best part is Vimes is mildly upset at being struck from the register. He generally views people taking contracts out on him as proof that he's doing a good job.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In "Making Money", pterry described the coin minters as "shed people", living and working in little sheds inside a big hall of some sort. Does anyone know what the real-life equivalent for that is, if any?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mokotow posted:

In "Making Money", pterry described the coin minters as "shed people", living and working in little sheds inside a big hall of some sort. Does anyone know what the real-life equivalent for that is, if any?

Cubicles?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mokotow posted:

It's probably a play on Cottage Industry. Cubicle are another possibility. That said, it doesn't have to be a direct parody of something, for all his love of satire Pratchett will just as often create original ideas that merely have applicability.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 9, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mokotow posted:

Bitcoin miners in Internet warehouses?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Bitcoin miners in Internet warehouses?
Making Money came out in 2007.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Making Money came out in 2007.
But what if Terry Pratchett is Satoshi Nakamoto?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

But what if Terry Pratchett is Satoshi Nakamoto?
Alzheimer's could lead one to believe that bitcoin is a good idea, so I'll accept this.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is on tonight, right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

eriktown posted:

This is on tonight, right?

I think you're in the wrong thread.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

He's not.

It was.

You missed it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I DVRed it, don't worry.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
wat

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was great.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

withak posted:

It was great.

Uh, spoiler alert :mad:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
At first was a little disappointed in casting but now can't see anyone else in hthe role

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I really hate you all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I had to resort to :filez: but I saw it and it was amazing. You should all go and watch it, it was definitely the best.

(Yes, I had the wrong thread. Sorry lads!)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

eriktown posted:

I had to resort to :filez: but I saw it and it was amazing. You should all go and watch it, it was definitely the best.

(Yes, I had the wrong thread. Sorry lads!)
What was it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mokotow posted:

It sounds very like what Stephenson described in the (quasi historical) Baroque Trilogy, so I'd guess that's how the minters actually lived.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sebmojo posted:

It sounds very like what Stephenson described in the (quasi historical) Baroque Trilogy, so I'd guess that's how the minters actually lived.

*ahem* That's Baroque Cycle, thank you very much. :goonsay:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nihilarian posted:

What was it?

Nothing actually special or amazing at all, just Agents of SHIELD. Pretty good episode, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

*ahem* That's Baroque Cycle, thank you very much. :goonsay:
In Canada, they call it a loop.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Going Postal and Making Money are about capitalist greed and banditry. You have Moist versus Gilt as mirror images that move independently. Moist takes the (meager) money he has access to at any given time and reinvests it into the venture "in the interest of the play" as it were. Gilt puts as little money as possible back into his venture, squirreling it away and in practice stealing from his company and providing a subpar monopolistic enterprise. If Gilt spent the same amount of money improving his business that he did making sure other businesses failed then he wouldn't need to cripple his opponents because he'd simply be better than them. See the fallacy of shoving a dollar into another group's jar in a penny war fundraiser.

Very few people argue that the act of making money is bad. Many people argue that the unrestricted greed that has come to be expected of the upper tiers is. CEOs being paid 500+ times as much as their employees while slashing staff to make their numbers look good in a bid to make their short term numbers look good in order to get a bonus. Businesses that are deprived of capital reinvestment due to greed and avarice stunting themselves in the long term. Which of course doesn't matter to the person at the helm because by the time that pain is felt they'll have jumped to another ship assisted by a gilded parachute.

People who found businesses tended to be more like Moist. They throw everything back into the business often to their personal detriment. The business is in a very real way their child. When the founder moves on (retires or passes) they've likely found a successor who has similar (but not quite the same level) of passion towards the business. However that person will see it as a profit generator more than a child. The next generation of leadership will see it strictly as a profit generator and if they have to strangle the last cent out of it by gourd they'll do it themselves if they can.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I started rereading interesting times today, its just really nice the way every page has several really memorable quotes / interactions.

I also picked up the witches game and guards guards (signed) today in Essen. Hopefully they are as good as the ankh morpork game which I really enjoy, has anyone played them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ika posted:

I started rereading interesting times today, its just really nice the way every page has several really memorable quotes / interactions.

I also picked up the witches game and guards guards (signed) today in Essen. Hopefully they are as good as the ankh morpork game which I really enjoy, has anyone played them?

The Witches is not bad, though Ankh-Morpork is better. G!G! is hugely overcomplicated and not very good, my condolences on having wasted your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Jedit posted:

The Witches is not bad, though Ankh-Morpork is better. G!G! is hugely overcomplicated and not very good, my condolences on having wasted your money.

I wasn't sure about it, but I'll give it a try, and one of the designers was there and was talking people through the game and running demo rounds and it looked ok. I also later found out witches would have been significantly cheaper in german, but what the hell I prefer my discworld jokes and references in English.

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 16, 2014