Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Roelosaurus posted:

I'm to scared to play horror games, how can I get rid of my "scaredness"?

Don't. Embrace it. Play with headphones, alone, in the dark. They're called "horror" games, not "sunshine and rainbows" games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Playing with friends is the answer, and even if you're not trying to conquer your fears it's a lot of fun. I played the original Silent Hill and Fatal Frame with an audience (and I needed it for FF, Jesus) and we all had a blast. You still get scared if it's a good game, it's just way easier to laugh off.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Len posted:

Is Five Nights at Freddy's the current indie darling? There's a clone for it in the Google Play store already.

Could you actually link to it, because I'm picturing something hilarious and blatant. Like "Six Shrieks at Schleppy's" or something.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I really want to play Ethan Carter, but the fucker won't load on my pc. The devs are saying it's a problem with my computer, which seems unlikely, since this is the first time something hasn't worked right for me since trying to play Condemned on an older junked up pc back in 2007, but at least they're offering to help.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: The 31 DaysGames of October :spooky:

1. Alien: Isolation

(There's already a thread for this one and it's a real slow burn, so I'll add more thoughts to this as I get further in.)

This is probably the most gorgeous game I've ever played. The devs absolutely nailed the aesthetic of the first Alien movie, and it adds a significant amount to the oppressive atmosphere. You know how when you watch a good horror movie, and before anything bad happens you get that sick, uncomfortable feeling that everything's going to fall apart? Well, the first hour of Isolation is fantastic on that front. You almost want to sit around and stare at the little notebook doodles and cereal dispensers instead of getting to the meat of the game. There's also something about it that feels very... System Shock. The gameplay and the look lend themselves to a favorable comparison there.

It's a little buggy so far, though. My flashlight didn't work in the scene where I was supposed to learn how to use it, and I had to restart one checkpoint very early on because a dialogue sequence didn't fire. The NPC models look amazing, but the animation is a bit stiff and the voice acting isn't the best. If they could get these guys together with the dudes that did the animation and acting for the newer FarCry games, they could bridge the uncanny valley, I'm sure.

So far, super atmospheric and creepy as gently caress.

2. Year Walk

This one caught me totally off guard.

Year Walk is based on Swedish lore about vision quests. You embark on a long walk in the woods, looking for signs and meanings, and you come across some very strange stuff. There's a very dreamlike quality to the game where the odd glyph or ghost you run into feels almost expected, but it also serves to take you out of the real world and immerse you with very simple, beautiful graphics. This makes the horrifying bits all the more effective, because they come in rough contrast to the feel of the rest of the game. I won't lie, there have been a few jump scares so far, but the feel earned instead of cheap. It's like a nightmare intruding on the edges of a pastoral dream.

Gameplay is simple, moving left or right through pretty landscapes, moving forward or backward to different areas, and clicking on things to interact. You have a useful map and an encyclopedia that helps flesh out the legends and signs you encounter. The game also has a very clever way of getting you to use the encyclopedia later on, which I found very effective. The puzzles are pretty simple as well, so don't go in expecting a lot of gameplay. It's mostly exploring the woods and delving into the myths you encounter, which for the price, I think is well worth it. An entertaining, chilling experience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

King Vidiot posted:

Could you actually link to it, because I'm picturing something hilarious and blatant. Like "Six Shrieks at Schleppy's" or something.

Here ya go. at least my phone tells me that's the link

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Roelosaurus posted:

Don't try to get rid of it. That's what it's supposed to do. I had to turn off Fatal Frame 1 last night and I love the fact that I had to turn it off.

Make a Let's Play of yourself playing them, like this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTKIqfmiWo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Len posted:

Hahahahaha... oh my god it's even better than I imagined!

Also how the gently caress does it have a 3.6, and how did the developer get the name of his own game wrong twice? Is this a joke?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Len posted:

I like how the title is "Five Night at Buddy's" and the icon says "Five Nights with Buddy".

quote:

Fan remake of:
Five Nights at Freddy by Scott Cawthon
Remake coding created by:
Vul gerstal
https://www.youtube.com/user/vulgerstal/
No Copyright Misuse Intended
:lol:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So how long until it's shut down for infringement?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You shoukd be playing Penumbra 1&2 instead of Amnesia in my opinion.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Len posted:

Why would anyone even buy this, the actual Five Nights at Freddy's is on the App Store!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dreadwroth posted:

You shoukd be playing Penumbra 1&2 instead of Amnesia in my opinion.

I've heard this opinion a few times, and I just don't see it. The first two penumbras are good games and pretty scary (the 2nd one more than the first), but neither comes close to the first Amnesia in my mind. Amnesia is also a lot more fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gann Jerrod posted:

Why would anyone even buy this, the actual Five Nights at Freddy's is on the App Store!

This one's free though!

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Roelosaurus posted:

Play them to the point that you become desensitized to them. Then wish that you could go back to being scared.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I like how the title is "Five Night at Buddy's" and the icon says "Five Nights with Buddy".

:mmmhmm:

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Can you guys suggest any decent LPs of Fatal Frame? I don't have a Playstation unfortunately, so I'm unable to play them first hand.

Niggurath did great playthroughs of Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2, and Fatal Frame 3.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Which one is best of the 3 Fatal Frames? Should I just start at 1?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Jmcrofts posted:

Easily 2.
1 is good and I'd definitely recommend a playthrough, but 2 improves on it in about every way.
3 is... Experimental. Not bad by any means, but there are some missteps.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jmcrofts posted:

Second is undoubtedly the best, but you should at least play the first one to get a feel for it. Going back to any of the others after that only feels like a backstep.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Anyone know where the Wii one fell in terms of quality? I know it never got a proper release outside of Japan.

EDIT: Wow, I did not know a fifth Fatal Frame just came out in Japan like two weeks ago.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zombie Samurai posted:

Anyone know where the Wii one fell in terms of quality? I know it never got a proper release outside of Japan.

EDIT: Wow, I did not know a fifth Fatal Frame just came out in Japan like two weeks ago.

Play with the cheat that speeds the girl up like 2x. She is freaking slow.

Aside from that, it's okay.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jmcrofts posted:

I haven't played any of the other Fatal Frames, but I'm playing Fatal Frame 1, and it's probably the scariest game I've ever played. Definitely do not skip it.

It's got atmosphere and creepy music as good as Silent Hill 1 and 2, but the reasons I would say it's scarier than those two are

1. Enemies are harder and more unpredictable. In Silent Hill, when you run into a nurse it's not that big of a deal. In Fatal Frame, when you're fighting a ghost, they'll often disappear and then appear behind you or come out of the walls to get you. One hit and half your health is drained. It's actually an ordeal to beat them.

2. There's no breaks to ease the tension. At least there's none that I've got to yet. When you're through the school in Silent Hill, it's morning again. You can breathe a sign of relief. The only monsters are those bats. In Fatal Frame, you don't get that sign of relief. All you have is claustrophobic darkness.

3. There's no safe areas. When you beat all the enemies on a floor in the school and the hospital in Silent Hill, those are safe zones now. You won't be bothered anymore. You can run freely. In Fatal Frame, you'll be attacked in places you've been to already. You'll be attacked if you stay too long in a room. I'm always in a panic to hurry up and get out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They're all good, 2 is just the best.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The cutscenes themselves are creepy as gently caress. The voiceovers have this really slow drawl to them, I'm not sure if it's bad voiceacting or intentional but it makes everything sound dream-like. The scene where the editor is being chased and hides in the cupboard to get grabbed by all the hands gave me legit nightmares as a kid. Only about 6 years later I managed to get a chance to go back to it and complete it, and it was still enough to terrify me.

I can't wait to get around to playing the second soon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Fatal Frame 1 is so loving amazing, 2 is incredible too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kulkasha posted:

So how long until it's shut down for infringement?

Bizarrely, nobody pursues infringement on mobile games. For example, there's an exact clone of Mario Kart Wii on iOS called Mole Kart. I think if you were to add it all up, 80% of all iOS games would be clones of other games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm aiming to play as much of Fatal Frame II as I can this month, maybe along with my old standby ILLBLEED. I guess I could also play Lucius but I heard that it's pretty bad as far as adventure games go, which is a shame since I really wanted to like it when I first heard about it. I would play Haunting, but I already beat it last month on the very same day I took it out of the package. Once you've played enough of Haunting you can beat it in maybe an hour or less in one sitting, it's really short and stupid-easy.

Also that one chapter from Bully is great to play around this time of year.

Neo Rasa posted:

Fatal Frame 1 is so loving amazing

Yeah, that's one horror game I never made it through because they just do too good of a job at creating tension. The moans and eerie sounds of the ghosts, the fact that they can literally appear anywhere and chase you through rooms, or appear in "Safe Rooms" randomly (which shuts you out of saving), the sense of isolation... I really enjoyed playing it but it was hard to take at times.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 9, 2014

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

King Vidiot posted:

I'm aiming to play as much of Fatal Frame II as I can this month, maybe along with my old standby ILLBLEED.

God I love Illbleed so much. It is a perfect B-Movie horror sim, right down to the cheesy voice acting and nonsensical plot. I wish they'd release another game like it.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Echoing Illbleed love; still one of my favorite moments in any LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ds3nVJ-ok&t=434s

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The best ILLBLEED moment is GOTTA CUT THE TREE

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cardiovorax posted:

The best ILLBLEED moment is GOTTA CUT THE TREE

This guy knows what's up! Also, I just bought Fatal Frame 1 and 2 so time to get freaked out all over again :) Got them digitally and I wanted to pass this on to anyone with a PS3 who maybe hasn't played them. Both games for $7.98 on Amazon. Just do a search for Fatal Frame.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The best part of ILLBLEED is the entire Cork segment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jmcrofts posted:

Pokemon Snap

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They're all kind of linked up storywise, so yeah, might as well do them in order.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sad Mammal posted:

Echoing Illbleed love; still one of my favorite moments in any LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ds3nVJ-ok&t=434s
So there's a part where you have to guess who KILLERMAN is, and one of your options is a guy named KILLERMAN? I've never heard of this game before, looks like I am wrong and bad and need to fix that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is so much dumber than that you won't even believe it. Watch the LP - it's great.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Because of the constant praise Fatal Frame gets, I bought it. I played about two hours of it the other night and hated it. It never really explains anything about what you're supposed to be doing, the camera angles suck, the controls suck, there are so many invisible walls that I had to use a lot of trial and error to figure out if it would actually let me walk around certain obstacles (and that was in the first room!) and at no point was it even remotely scary.

I feel like I played a different game than you guys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was just about to make a Scary Games Month 2014 thread and then I found this thread, and I'm glad I did!

I'm playing through Outlast and its DLC this month, along with Resident Evil: Revelations on the 3DS.

I hadn't played Outlast in a good while, I'd forgotten how relentless that game was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
If your horror-games-to-try list is going to include a cartoony platformer, I've got to recommend Eversion.