Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

On a positive note, the Quick Character blocks are looking very usable in today's "update".

Meh, I'm not impressed. Yeah, it's shorter than a full character sheet, but that's just common sense because a full character sheet in Exalted could be two to six pages. It still has too much info on it and needs to be trimmed down. Especially for a hungry ghost - which is just barely one step up from roadside bandit (or lower because they lack higher thought). How readily can I reference let's say, a sorcerer's demonic retinue? Or a Sworn Brotherhood of Dragon-Blooded sub-officers? Let me put it this way, when I first skimmed the update I didn't realize I was looking at a Quick Character block until after I finished reading it and the update specifically mentioned that was supposed to be a quick reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ithle01 posted:

Meh, I'm not impressed. Yeah, it's shorter than a full character sheet, but that's just common sense because a full character sheet in Exalted could be two to six pages. It still has too much info on it and needs to be trimmed down. Especially for a hungry ghost - which is just barely one step up from roadside bandit (or lower because they lack higher thought). How readily can I reference let's say, a sorcerer's demonic retinue? Or a Sworn Brotherhood of Dragon-Blooded sub-officers? Let me put it this way, when I first skimmed the update I didn't realize I was looking at a Quick Character block until after I finished reading it and the update specifically mentioned that was supposed to be a quick reference.

They explain that in the sidebar too though? That the QC in example is doing double duty both as an adventure hook/actual NPC to be interacted with and a fast stat block to reference.

I mean, one of the most annoying parts of 2E Core to me as a book was how in the antagonists chapter almost all of the stuff outside like Exalts or Gods was just a description of stuff rather then 'here's how you can use this'.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

They explain that in the sidebar too though? That the QC in example is doing double duty both as an adventure hook/actual NPC to be interacted with and a fast stat block to reference.

I mean, one of the most annoying parts of 2E Core to me as a book was how in the antagonists chapter almost all of the stuff outside like Exalts or Gods was just a description of stuff rather then 'here's how you can use this'.

I meant the stat block not the flavor text*. Apparently, SLS made it more condensed so maybe it's better now, but if I write up my NPCs I'm just going to have to use my own short hand because the QCs aren't close to short or condensed enough. I saw at least three things that I would immediately change and Hungry Ghosts are pretty much the bottom of the barrel in terms of creatures with special charms or merits. The Earthbound text needs to be cut in half, at least. I'm just venting because this is another situation where I roll my eyes and mutter to myself about having to spend effort to make Exalted more playable.

*The flavor text with the unbound Po is good stuff, good work there, but aside from that this is less info than the 2nd ed. core had on hungry ghosts. That might be a good thing though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'd rather see a more generalized statblock with options and ideas? I mean, the background is explicitly something I'm not going to use. Something like 13th Age is right now my gold standard for antagonist blocks; one that asks questions rather that spoon-feeds exposition. I see what they're getting at, but it seems like a case of wanting to have their cake and eat it afterwards- you can be utilitarian or poetic, but don't try and split the difference.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
You know as vocal as I've been for this game, I am regretting not finalizing on the character art level. I am like one below that, I had it locked in but got rid of it because I was already spending too much on the paper game.

But man, going through past Kickstarter comment posts, the artist is amazing. If one thing is for sure this edition looks to be having some great art in it.

I guess I could always commission work.

I am cautiously optimistic about half decent nuggets of info on today Monday Meeting Notes.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Anyone else get an email from DTRPG about an Exalted art sale? For $11.99 you could own such classics as 'anime chick missing an arm' or 'that is not how spines work, part 57' or timeless works like 'weird panda fetishist needs a commission' and 'Panther cannot afford shirts on an arena paycheck'.

I joke, but I do like some Exalted art. If we have to have more shameless cheesecake art I hope we at-least get some more Panther man-chest, and more folks like Roseblack that are pretty and capable looking,

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

axelsoar posted:

Anyone else get an email from DTRPG about an Exalted art sale? For $11.99 you could own such classics as 'anime chick missing an arm' or 'that is not how spines work, part 57' or timeless works like 'weird panda fetishist needs a commission' and 'Panther cannot afford shirts on an arena paycheck'.

It has a double-page spread of the Savant & Sorcerer cover because apparently John Chambers and Brian Glass give no fucks. About the most interesting part is the Exalted art that was developed for the CCG that never made it out of playtesting, and eventually got used for the second board game... but which many fans won't have seen. (Some of it shows up in the Scroll of Errata, tho.)

What's more interesting and also on sale is the Making of Exalted book that came with special edition for Exalted 1e detailing the original concepts behind Exalted, and it has some really nice art that for whatever reason was never used in the final product. (It's almost criminal that the elemental apes never ended up in the actual game.)

Have I posted the cheesy Making of Exalted video that came with that book in this iteration of the thread? Well, let's do that again, make everybody's life complete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duLeOP8GeMk

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 29, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone knows what happened with the Exalted card game? As a long-time V:tES player I was pretty excited to see what they were going to do with it.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone knows what happened with the Exalted card game? As a long-time V:tES player I was pretty excited to see what they were going to do with it.

Pretty sure it got canned.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, all indications is that it got quietly canned, even though it got to the point where it got ISBN numbers and all (look up 'Exalted TCG' on Amazon). I wouldn't be surprised if some of it evolved into Legacy of the Unconquered Sun, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but maybe this random sale is an indication that the book is nearing completion and they are poking people going "Hey remember me? You should remember me when E3 comes out!"

Maybe to boost sales when they release. Again, overly optimistic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bardlebee posted:

Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but maybe this random sale is an indication that the book is nearing completion and they are poking people going "Hey remember me? You should remember me when E3 comes out!"

It may. It may not as well.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Am I the only one who finds the alliteration of location names on the Ex3 map really cringe worthy?

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
What on earth are you talking about? I am looking and not seeing much, if any, alliteration.

(for reference: there's been a new version of the 3e map released for the first time in ten months)

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
drat that's a pretty map. I'm very glad I backed at the level that gets a physical copy of it.

e: Also, I'm seeing no alliteration whatsoever. WTF?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bardlebee posted:

What random sale?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Flavivirus posted:

drat that's a pretty map. I'm very glad I backed at the level that gets a physical copy of it.

e: Also, I'm seeing no alliteration whatsoever. WTF?

Well, I guess "Capstone" and "Darkheart" use some of the same vowels....

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did you make the map, Stephen? It looks pretty.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

This is what sleep deprivation gets you.

So it is
I’m all about the sun
‘bout the sun, no Dragons
I’m all about the sun
I’m all about the sun
I’m about the sun, sun
Unconquered Sun

My anima is clear, and my aim is true
I’m gonna save the world,
Like I’m Destined to
I got a host of charms and yeah, my soul is chaste
I’m gonna smash goons and gonna smite faces

My awesome tann-ed skin, I look all copper topped
I got a voice that booms
Making those hearts all hop
Show off my essence essence, Let my spirit pop
Cuz every inch of me is perfect
I am literally an avatar of inhuman divine perfection [Needs Work – Ed.]

The Sun came and shimmered and yeah he’s just so divine
Into my soul he put a shard a shim’ring shrine
I’m more than my artifacts more than my skills and drive
I’m the light in the darkness that shatters all fears so fine

So it is
I’m all about the sun
I’m all about the sun
I’m all about the sun
I’m about the sun, sun
Unconquered Sun
YEAH!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Did you make the map, Stephen? It looks pretty.

Jared Blando made the map, and he did an amazing job. I would not seek to upstage him in credit -- to the extent that the map looks amazing, that's him.

That said, I did, and am incredibly proud of, initial design work on the coastline. I worked on enlarging the world to a significant degree while still keeping the majority of the coastline from previous editions a) the same, and b) well-integrated enough into the new stuff that it doesn't look weird or like somebody new added a big border to a map somebody else drew. I came up with (and ultimately named) the Dreaming Sea, and redid the coastline of the Great Ice from what it was in 1e to those big fang-y-icicle-y looking things. I thought up making the islands in the new southwest portion of the map look like rising flames and the new coastline of the Great Ice look like icicles in an attempt to emphasize the elemental nature of the Directions. (I didn't name the Cinder Isles, but I did come up with the name's "Mela's Fangs" though I thought we'd use it for a Northern mountain range coming down across the Great Ice from the Pole of Air, not the region of the world with the big fang lakes.) I didn't name the Caul, but I did suggest putting a continent down there, and the Caul does look like the one I drew.

They didn't use all of my ideas! This doesn't look entirely like the map I drew; a lot of the details came out of iterative design work between John and Jared. I didn't add the lakes to the near Southeast, for example. (Or, rather, I tried to, but all my lake designs sucked, so he had Jared do good ones.) For all that I can claim the idea of having the Cinder Isles look like rising flames, my new Southwest coast looked different. I can also claim the idea of adding a lot of smaller islands to the Blessed Isle's western coast, but my Blessed Isle western coast did not look like what you see there. I don't want to take more credit than I deserve for this. But yes, I look at the new map and see a lot of stuff I had a hand in.

I actually have it printed up and laminated as a 35 1/2" x 22 3/4" poster on the wall above my desk.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

As a whole I like having some changes to have more internal coastlines and stuff, but I have to say, now the Western islands are even more absurdly distant from the rest of everything else in a setting where most of the ships around are supposed to be triremes.

Even with supernaturally good sailors, how are these Bronze Age folks sailing trade routes as long as the width of the Pacific Ocean (if not more)?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Roadie posted:

As a whole I like having some changes to have more internal coastlines and stuff, but I have to say, now the Western islands are even more absurdly distant from the rest of everything else in a setting where most of the ships around are supposed to be triremes.

Even with supernaturally good sailors, how are these Bronze Age folks sailing trade routes as long as the width of the Pacific Ocean (if not more)?

My guess? It turns out it's impossible to stop artists from drawing galleons, so now they have galleons.

Director: "Stop drawing galleons."
Artist: "Sure." *draws more galleons*
Director: "You're fired. Next artist, you're up."
Artist2: "Happy to help. Galleons, right?"
Director: "No, triremes."
Artist2: "Like this?" *draws galleons*
Director: "You're fired. Next?"
Artist3: "Galleons!"
Director: "No!"
Producer: "We're out of art money."
Director: "arrrrrrgh"

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.
From what some of the devs and freelancers have said, this is intentional. The West is supposed to be to the Realm what "the Indies" were to Renaissance Europe; a far-off, exoticized source of valuable trading commodities and preposterous travelers' tales, coveted by empires but not open to conquest -- until now.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DSPaul posted:

From what some of the devs and freelancers have said, this is intentional. The West is supposed to be to the Realm what "the Indies" were to Renaissance Europe; a far-off, exoticized source of valuable trading commodities and preposterous travelers' tales, coveted by empires but not open to conquest -- until now.

That's kind of silly, though. With the map as given, even if you give them Renaissance-era ships instead of Bronze Age ones, it's not "exotic tales and spices" distance, it's "literally never heard of them" distance.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Roadie posted:

That's kind of silly, though. With the map as given, even if you give them Renaissance-era ships instead of Bronze Age ones, it's not "exotic tales and spices" distance, it's "literally never heard of them" distance.

Except, you know...magic is real.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Gate posted:

Except, you know...magic is real.

Exactly. Even the water's not a big deal compared to Zoatham which is according to the scale, at least a thousand miles from anything other than sand. Not even bare rock face, just endless sand dunes for a thousand miles in every direction, then eventually some barren mountains to the far East.

No one is getting to or from that without magic.

It's the same with Ascension, which looks to be around 3000 miles from a coastline, and significantly further from any other noteworthy settlement. At an average human walking pace it would take about 150 days to walk there directly from a coastline, not taking things like weather or elevation into account. Might as well double or even triple that since it's so remote and close to the Northern Pole. So a place that could take a year to get to, walking, after you make landfall. drat good thing magic works. Personally I love that poo poo, makes for a great epic tale of how someone used super sailing to find the most remote settlement ever, or how first age technology remains active far, far outside the reach of modern Creation.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 8, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

The Polynesians crossed the Pacific on simple rafts, and there is evidence of Chinese ships reaching the California coast. The distance between the Realm and the outer reaches of the West is comparable to the length of the Pacific Ocean, although it's certainly fair that it would be a very difficult journey if there were no tiny islands (not large enough for this map, but large enough for a stopover and perhaps collecting fresh water) along the route.

The Realm would also have the advantage of inheriting information from the First Age, such as "there are definitely islands more or less here, we mean it" and principles of shipbuilding. I think Zheng He's ships could certainly have crossed the Pacific, even if in fact they did not; the Realm also would never have killed their oceangoing naval potential, since they would need it to communicate with and project power over their various satrapies and colonies.

This is all before you start getting Terrestrials in the mix. Didn't they have some anima power that let you determine which way is your attuned elemental pole? You would literally only need that power for accurate navigation. Every other power (turning salt water to fresh, making crops grow on deck, repairing the ship, inspiring the crew, etc.) just makes it all easier to do and to do more efficiently - but you wouldn't even NEED Terrestrials to do that. They'd just make it way easier and better.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

You could even strip terrestrials from the equation and just allow that thaumaturgy actually works.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theironjef posted:

You could even strip terrestrials from the equation and just allow that thaumaturgy actually works.
Yeah I have no idea what they're doing with thaumaturgy but "a compass" seems like it would be achievable. For the rest you REALLY just need good cooperage and some sauerkraut.

e: I am informed that Zheng He's ships would have had difficulties crossing the wide ocean, but it would seem that the Realm, which is approximately the size of Russia and has coasts on all sides, would probably have been able to create robust vessels for that purpose and stationed them on their western coast.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 8, 2014

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

making crops grow on deck,

Was actually something the Chinese Treasure Fleets did.

Also, lets not forget spirits and local gods.

"Oh, that city? Yeah, it'll kill you if you just try to walk it, but make these offerings and you'll be there in 20 days, tops."

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Nessus posted:

Yeah I have no idea what they're doing with thaumaturgy but "a compass" seems like it would be achievable. For the rest you REALLY just need good cooperage and some sauerkraut.

e: I am informed that Zheng He's ships would have had difficulties crossing the wide ocean, but it would seem that the Realm, which is approximately the size of Russia and has coasts on all sides, would probably have been able to create robust vessels for that purpose and stationed them on their western coast.

I thought there were compasses that told you which direction led to the Pole of Earth.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

bartkusa posted:

I thought there were compasses that told you which direction led to the Pole of Earth.

I'm pretty sure that plus the Sun plus a calendar would let you solve the longitude problem. Latitude, too.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mile'ionaha posted:

I'm pretty sure that plus the Sun plus a calendar would let you solve the longitude problem. Latitude, too.

There isn't a longitude problem, Creation is flat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mile'ionaha posted:

I'm not sure about the Sun, this is actually something where a stupid crunchy detail would affect it. However, I think if you can get two elemental compasses (attuned to two different poles) you'd be able to triangulate your location anywhere in Creation. Definitely with three.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nessus posted:

So far as I can tell, the Blessed Isle's only about four million miles square; actually about the same size as Canada or China, only 2/3rds the size of Russia.

I am, in fact, having trouble getting a grip on the scale of Creation from this map; it makes it look like the Riverlands should be quite cozy... but draw a rectangle that includes Nexus and Thorns and you've defined an area twice the size of France.

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure about the Sun, this is actually something where a stupid crunchy detail would affect it. However, I think if you can get two elemental compasses (attuned to two different poles) you'd be able to triangulate your location anywhere in Creation. Definitely with three.

Not two: you wouldn't be able to distinguish any point on the line between the two poles from any other point on that line.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Does a sun even orbit Creation? It would have to have an insanely huge day/night cycle if the sun had to move all the way around the empty back part. Of course that would also suggest that space exists. Instead, if it's just a universe where Creation is a self-contained plane, the sun would basically show up floating in over one pole and then eventually vanish into the distance over the opposing one, right? What the heck does the day/night cycle in creation even look like? The horizon would look sort of like you were standing in a giant shallow bowl no matter which way you looked, but does the sun just wink on and off or what?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theironjef posted:

Does a sun even orbit Creation? It would have to have an insanely huge day/night cycle if the sun had to move all the way around the empty back part. Of course that would also suggest that space exists. Instead, if it's just a universe where Creation is a self-contained plane, the sun would basically show up floating in over one pole and then eventually vanish into the distance over the opposing one, right? What the heck does the day/night cycle in creation even look like? The horizon would look sort of like you were standing in a giant shallow bowl no matter which way you looked, but does the sun just wink on and off or what?
I infer it rises in the east and sets in the west just like real life, it's just, like, literally rising in the east and setting in the west.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I infer it rises in the east and sets in the west just like real life, it's just, like, literally rising in the east and setting in the west.

C'mon, guys, really?

Nysela, the charioteer of the Unconquered Sun, pilots the Daystar--the Unconquered Sun's airship which carries the sun--from the elemental pole of wood to the elemental pole of water each day.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

C'mon, guys, really?

Nysela, the charioteer of the Unconquered Sun, pilots the Daystar--the Unconquered Sun's airship which carries the sun--from the elemental pole of wood to the elemental pole of water each day.

So then how does it get back to the elemental pole of wood without anyone seeing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Krysmphoenix posted:

So then how does it get back to the elemental pole of wood without anyone seeing it?

It goes underneath Creation, obviously. Why do you think the night's as long as the day?

• Locked thread