Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The only other time I can think of apart from that one and the episode it was introduced was 1969, where they used it to get rid of the crate of all the stuff they brought from the future.

They also used it in that mirror universe episode Point of View, I think.

EDIT:
Nope, its just talked about there I guess.

Thank you spergipedia Stargate Wiki!

quote:

The "third shot" function of the Zat is only used four times ("Within the Serpent's Grasp", "Family", "Secrets" and "1969") in SG-1, all to disintegrate the bodies of Jaffa guards and material (to be removed from the timeline), and is mentioned one other time. Other "third shots" have been attempted, all on replicators, to no effect

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thom12255 posted:

The whole Teal'c not correctly knowing how fast Gou'ald ships could travel was really odd.

Was there an explanation in that episode? I remember some throwaway line about how the System Lords didn't tell their First Primes everything.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
It's definitely only used a handful of times

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Third shot was the perfect thing for stealth missions but they seemed to just forget about it even when they did those.

It'd be pretty interesting to see as a game mechanic I think.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Third shot was the perfect thing for stealth missions but they seemed to just forget about it even when they did those.

It'd be pretty interesting to see as a game mechanic I think.

I think it would be a bit creepy if SG-1 just went around coldly desintegrating any Jaffa that got in their way.

At least when you shoot them you can still pretend that they're just injured and will eventually recover or something.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Man we saw a lot of sparky jaffa murder in that show. Like, a lot.

vandelay industries posted:

It's definitely only used a handful of times

Canon explanations aside, early SG-1 felt very much like a "let's move all these pieces of technology around wherever we need them to be." To the show's credit, that seems to have been in order for the writers to then solidify what worked and have a world full of neat rules and interactions between different technologies.

I lost count on how many specific episodes came together to hash out the rules of that season 10 episode where they destroy an ori ship with a supergate's kawoosh by destroying a wraith ship in another galaxy with a bunch of nukes. That and getting to see Ben Browder and David Hewlett butt heads may just constitute my favorite non-comedy SG-1 episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

Man we saw a lot of sparky jaffa murder in that show. Like, a lot.

Canon explanations aside, early SG-1 felt very much like a "let's move all these pieces of technology around wherever we need them to be." To the show's credit, that seems to have been in order for the writers to then solidify what worked and have a world full of neat rules and interactions between different technologies.

I lost count on how many specific episodes came together to hash out the rules of that season 10 episode where they destroy an ori ship with a supergate's kawoosh by destroying a wraith ship in another galaxy with a bunch of nukes. That and getting to see Ben Browder and David Hewlett butt heads may just constitute my favorite non-comedy SG-1 episode.

Rodney:"Well, that'd be nearly impossible to work out the math for!"
Vala:"Uh-huh, that's why Col. Carter said she needed your help!"
Sam: "*hiss* W-we weren't going to tell him that..."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think it would be a bit creepy if SG-1 just went around coldly desintegrating any Jaffa that got in their way.

At least when you shoot them you can still pretend that they're just injured and will eventually recover or something.

Yeah, since I'm pretty sure half of the time they just one-shot Jaffa to KO them anyway, then just drag them away if it's a stealth mission - although I could be wrong on that one.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Big important stealth mission with high stakes would be an OK setting to get away with a few triple-zap stealth kills I think. I wonder if you have to hit with the SAME zat three times or if the SG team could just all blast on someone in sequence to disappear them.

Hard Clumping posted:

This is the poo poo that made the show work I think. The characters were good too but man I was all about the space problems being solved by dumbass human ingenuity. Like all the advanced races getting owned by replicators and being like "Hey humans you guys still use bullets please save our rear end" about it because they all moved on to laser guns or whatever by then. Really nobody thought about beaming nukes before humans? You guys are lovely for advanced, drat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Really nobody thought about beaming nukes before humans? You guys are lovely for advanced, drat.

We're police officers! We're not trained to handle this kind of violence!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Light Gun Man posted:

Big important stealth mission with high stakes would be an OK setting to get away with a few triple-zap stealth kills I think. I wonder if you have to hit with the SAME zat three times or if the SG team could just all blast on someone in sequence to dispensary them.

This is the poo poo that made the show work I think. The characters were good too but man I was all about the space problems being solved by dumbass human ingenuity. Like all the advanced races getting owned by replicators and being like "Hey humans you guys still use bullets please save our rear end" about it because they all moved on to laser guns or whatever by then. Really nobody thought about beaming nukes before humans? You guys are lovely for advanced, drat.

The idea that the humans in the shows pretty much stole or were given all their advanced technologies is a pretty interesting parallel to the goa'uld who operate in nearly the same way. How many earthers were we shown that very clearly only wanted to use the technology for their own means? It was actually kinda beneficial that we're always dealing with some monolithic threat to keep our attention focused on Not Conquest.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 9, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hard Clumping posted:

The idea that the humans in the shows pretty much stole or were given all their advanced technologies is a pretty interesting parallel to the goa'uld who operate in nearly the same way. How many earthers were we shown that very clearly only wanted to use the technology for their own means? It was actually kinda beneficial that we're always dealing with some monolithic threat to keep our attention focused on Not Conquest.

And don't forget all those Naquadah (or however you spell it) mines they set up on various primitive worlds! I'm sure they're quite happy that that little detail is being swept under the carpet as a result of the Stargate program being kept on the down-low.

EDIT: Actually, wasn't there one where the inhabitants of one of the aforementioned primitive worlds actually worked for free in the mines? Granted it was of their choice because they didn't want machines near their burial sites or something like that, but still...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Presumably Earth is hooking up their miner slaves with modern medicine or plasma screens or something like that the System Lords were preventing them from having. Keep your job, only now you get paid instead of work for a snake god for life, I suppose.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Light Gun Man posted:

Presumably Earth is hooking up their miner slaves with modern medicine or plasma screens or something like that the System Lords were preventing them from having. Keep your job, only now you get paid instead of work for a snake god for life, I suppose.

The first miner who meets this month's naQuota gets to kick the writer of that early Mongol episode as hard as they can. One shot, no practice kicks.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Gaz-L posted:

Rodney:"Well, that'd be nearly impossible to work out the math for!"
Vala:"Uh-huh, that's why Col. Carter said she needed your help!"
Sam: "*hiss* W-we weren't going to tell him that..."

Remind me, what episode was that? I want to rewatch it now.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 9, 2014

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Major Isoor posted:

Actually, wasn't there one where the inhabitants of one of the aforementioned primitive worlds actually worked for free in the mines? Granted it was of their choice because they didn't want machines near their burial sites or something like that, but still...

They explicitly agreed to mine the naquadah to help the war effort against their ancient enemies, the Goa'uld.

The SGC seems to have no shortage of naquadah after the Goa'uld are defeated. I'm honestly not sure anyone ever told the Unas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

richardfun posted:

Remind me, what episode was that? I want to rewatch it now.

"The Pegasus Project" from season 10. Sam, Mitchell and Rodney try to blow up the Ori supergate on the Odyssey; Vala, Daniel and Weir look for clues to where Merlin hid the grail in Atlantis' database.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was there an explanation in that episode? I remember some throwaway line about how the System Lords didn't tell their First Primes everything.

Teal'c is a sleeper agent for Apophis, of course. All hail Apophis

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Light Gun Man posted:

Half the time the solution to a space problem involved at least one nuke. They loving loved nukes.

It was pretty clever of Anubis to send that naquada-laden asteroid towards Earth actually, knowing that the first and only thing the SGC would decide to do is send SG-1 to nuke it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

They explicitly agreed to mine the naquadah to help the war effort against their ancient enemies, the Goa'uld.

The SGC seems to have no shortage of naquadah after the Goa'uld are defeated. I'm honestly not sure anyone ever told the Unas.

Didn't they swap out the naquadah for naquadria somewhere around the point where Jonas Quinn got written out of the show?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Didn't they swap out the naquadah for naquadria somewhere around the point where Jonas Quinn got written out of the show?

IIRC Jonas' home planet was responsible for refining Naquadah into Naquadriah.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Xoidanor posted:

If I remember this correctly, first naquadria was an isotope of naquada that Sam thought was how the Goa'uld powered their hyperdrives, then it was too unstable to power Earth hyperdrives, then it was something Anubis had never even heard of, then it was artifically created from naquada by some dead Goa'uld only on Jonas's planet and nowhere else and then, in SGU, there were whole planets made of the poo poo that exploded when you used them to get to Destiny. If I remember this correctly.

Also it causes alzheimer's.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Steve Higginson posted:

If I remember this correctly, first naquadria was an isotope of naquada that Sam thought was how the Goa'uld powered their hyperdrives, then it was too unstable to power Earth hyperdrives, then it was something Anubis had never even heard of, then it was artifically created from naquada by some dead Goa'uld only on Jonas's planet and nowhere else and then, in SGU, there were whole planets made of the poo poo that exploded when you used them to get to Destiny. If I remember this correctly.

Also it causes alzheimer's.

Nah, SGU never talked about naquadria, they were pretty vague about the energy source, it was basically implied that it was geothermal energy of some kind.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005

Taffer posted:

Nah, SGU never talked about naquadria, they were pretty vague about the energy source, it was basically implied that it was geothermal energy of some kind.

That's why they go to Jonas's planet in that second season episode with McKay and Woolsey though, because of the naquadria. Maybe they weren't specific at first about the power source.

EDIT - I looked it up because I've nothing better to do, it seems the planets have "Naquadria cores"

Stargate Wikia posted:

The base itself was unique in that it was built into a planet that had a unique Naquadria core which provided sufficient power to dial a 9th chevron address.

Steve Higginson fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The whole naquadah thing doesn't make sense so I like to imagine its some element from high up in the theorised island of stability.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Senor Tron posted:

The whole naquadah thing doesn't make sense so I like to imagine its some element from high up in the theorised island of stability.

Also that apparently it powers things forever? I doubt any ancients stuck around just to replace DHD batteries every once in a while. The only time we really ever see a DHD not work is because it was either shot or missing its "control crystal." I can't think of any instances of "oh this dhd just ran outta juice"

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hard Clumping posted:

Also that apparently it powers things forever? I doubt any ancients stuck around just to replace DHD batteries every once in a while. The only time we really ever see a DHD not work is because it was either shot or missing its "control crystal." I can't think of any instances of "oh this dhd just ran outta juice"

Stargates are recharged by tidal stresses on latent wormholes. If the gate has enough juice to receive an incoming wormhole, it's tapped into subspace and, like sticking an oar in the water, it can absorb energy from those tensions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hard Clumping posted:

The Antarctic DHD ran out of power but it was supposed to be the oldest in the galaxy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Antarctic DHD ran out of power but it was supposed to be the oldest in the galaxy.

That was because they fried it trying to save Teal'c. In the 'Ice Planet' episode it just didn't work because they were trying to dial earth. It worked enough to shake the gate enough to register on seismographs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

No, they blew up the Russian DHD from Egypt. The NID used the Antarctic gate.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Whoops. Too many swaps to keep track of. I don't remember them saying the NID's DHD died, but it probably happened then.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The Goa'uld built an empire around the stargate network, they probably changed the batteries on DHDs that saw a lot of traffic.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005

GodFish posted:

Whoops. Too many swaps to keep track of. I don't remember them saying the NID's DHD died, but it probably happened then.

It was a throwaway line they wrote into a season six episode to explain why they needed the Russian DHD in season five when they already had their own one.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, they blew up the Russian DHD from Egypt. The NID used the Antarctic gate.

After Anubis attacked Earth, the gate the SGC used was the Antarctic gate because the Giza Gate was blown up.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

JetsGuy posted:

After Anubis attacked Earth, the gate the SGC used was the Antarctic gate because the Giza Gate was blown up.

Actually there are a couple swaps there too.

Giza Gate gets teleported into Thor's ship from SGC at the end of season three. The ship crashes through the atmosphere but the gate survives, and the Russians salvage it and start using it on their own; SGC starts using the Antarctic Gate
Then mid-season four (I think? Can't remember exactly) poo poo happens on a Russian mission and SGC finds out they have the Giza Gate. The Russians agree to stop using it in exchange for access to the SGC.
Then Anubis attacks SGC with a weapon that overloads the gate, and the Antarctic Gate gets blown up as a result; SGC asks the Russians for the Giza Gate and starts using that again.
:goonsay:

I hate myself for knowing all this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here is a new scifi show from a bunch of Stargate vets:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-stargate-producers-take-graphic-740985

Sounds like a what if everyone on Destiny woke up with amnesia.

Interview with the creater (and ex exec Stargate producer) of the comic that the show is based on:

http://www.newsarama.com/8745-stargate-writers-explore-dark-matter-in-new-comic.html

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mikl posted:

Actually there are a couple swaps there too.

Giza Gate gets teleported into Thor's ship from SGC at the end of season three. The ship crashes through the atmosphere but the gate survives, and the Russians salvage it and start using it on their own; SGC starts using the Antarctic Gate
Then mid-season four (I think? Can't remember exactly) poo poo happens on a Russian mission and SGC finds out they have the Giza Gate. The Russians agree to stop using it in exchange for access to the SGC.
Then Anubis attacks SGC with a weapon that overloads the gate, and the Antarctic Gate gets blown up as a result; SGC asks the Russians for the Giza Gate and starts using that again.
:goonsay:

I hate myself for knowing all this.

It's ok, I was thinking about all the gate swaps as I wrote the original post, and literally said, "eh gently caress it, coin flip!" as I wrote it.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Here is a new scifi show from a bunch of Stargate vets:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-stargate-producers-take-graphic-740985

Sounds like a what if everyone on Destiny woke up with amnesia.

Interview with the creater (and ex exec Stargate producer) of the comic that the show is based on:

http://www.newsarama.com/8745-stargate-writers-explore-dark-matter-in-new-comic.html

They could totally swing this around into an SGU follow-up with ease. Destiny can make the crew hallucinate anything it wants after all.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I know this might not be the place to ask, but as someone who has recently finished watching the Stargate shows and doesn't know what to watch next, does anyone know of any good post-Stargate shows?

I mean, not necessarily sci-fi related (although those are also good - I just have no real preference genre-wise, is all) - at this stage all I'm after is something that'll captivate me like other shows I've been watching lately will. (Examples include Firefly, Red Dwarf, Lost, The Shield, The Wire, Archer, Band of Brothers/The Pacific) One of my friends brought up Battlestar Galactica recently - is that actually any good, after coming from Stargate? (I haven't really heard much of it, to be honest.)

So yeah, as I said this might be better suited to a different thread, but well, seeing as I'm now in Stargate withdrawal, I thought this thread may well be the place to go to. :shobon:
Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Babylon 5 might scratch that itch. It's not identical to SG1 but it's got humans, aliens, complex (for a sci-fi TV show) politics, bad guys you love to hate, and a few characters hauling around that wonderful almost-meta cynicism that O'Neill is fond of.