Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

I wonder if it was a business decision rather than a tech decision. I don't have a pro controller yet, and there's no way I'd ever buy one if the adaptor let me use a GC controller. I already have a bunch of GC controllers laying around unused - why would I blow $50+ on a Pro when I can use something I already own that works fantastically?

It probably is mostly a tech issue, seeing as none of the current library is programmed to recognize the adapter, and a Gamecube controller has fewer buttons than a Pro. Jury-rigging a solution would take a bunch of effort for a result that would still cause playability problems for a lot of games (anything that uses the - or ZL buttons, or the clickable sticks).

Best case scenario is that suitable existing games get support patched in (Mariokart 8 is getting its first DLC update in November and I could see GC controller support being added at that time), and future games feature it as a standard alongside the other 5 or so options.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
There's no excuse for the Wii U's controllers not to work on the integrated last-gen system. There are already enough different confusing accessories for the Wii U, it sucks that they're forcing people to have, remember, switch between and use all of them. That's just unfriendly. And it's not like because the new controller is bluetooth and the old one is wifi that compatibility cannot be in-built, the hardware is all there. Not gonna give Nintendo a pass on this one.

Yes I understand that the Wii is apparently literally a Wii built into the Wii U.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nolgthorn posted:

Yes I understand that the Wii is apparently literally a Wii built into the Wii U.

Yes, and that's exactly why the new controllers won't work for it. You kinda shot your own argument in the foot there.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Rolling my eyes so much right now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well there goes my theory that it could have been theoretically used for potential GameCube Virtual Console... :smith:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Well this looks like the winning choice.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Nolgthorn posted:

There's no excuse for the Wii U's controllers not to work on the integrated last-gen system. There are already enough different confusing accessories for the Wii U, it sucks that they're forcing people to have, remember, switch between and use all of them. That's just unfriendly. And it's not like because the new controller is bluetooth and the old one is wifi that compatibility cannot be in-built, the hardware is all there. Not gonna give Nintendo a pass on this one.

It's not like there's a button that says "make controllers work" that nintendo haven't pressed. It takes time and money to work these things out. It's fairly lowdown on Nintendo's priorities and the wii u's selling points to bother. If it's as easy as you think they'd have just done it.

Compared to their competitor's backwards compatibility, it's one area Nintendo is actually doing pretty well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The WiiU Pro Controller absolutely uses Bluetooth. The gamepad uses some 5.4 GHz signal for the image, I'm not sure if it uses that same signal for input.

it does, the GamePad has no bluetooth components at all. input travels on the same band as the a/v stream, which the vWii can't (currently) percieve.

when you try to use the GamePad controls in vWii mode, it's the Gamepad's FIRMWARE that throws up the error message; the vWii/WiiU is blind to it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nolgthorn posted:

Is this guy being serious or doing a really good parody?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Chronojam posted:

he's not a bad guy he's just like this a lot

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
With Indiecade happening, I was able to pick up a few tentative release dates, so Beatbuddy, Sportsball, and Runbow have had tentative release dates added to the OP.

I've only just heard of Runbow and Sportsball. Both seem like fairly entertaining games, although the sportsball trailer makes it VERY difficult to tell what's going on.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If you can play Wii U games with the wiimote then interpreting inputs with the classic controller should be the same as it was with the regular wii.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Chronojam posted:

Same person who claimed you needed to be a Nintendo expert to take advantage of the digital deluxe promotion and claimed Nintendo was trying to hide it from people.

At this point I think they are successfully trolling.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Yes, and that's exactly why the new controllers won't work for it. You kinda shot your own argument in the foot there.

Couldn't they update the Wii inside the WiiU firmware?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Besides, the only actual required to make all games work controllers are 1 pad (included) and 4 remote pluses/nunchucks.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

greatn posted:

Couldn't they update the Wii inside the WiiU firmware?

They could, but the way the Wii works internally is weird and (to put it really simply) Wii games just use whatever the latest version of the firmware was when they came out. It's built into each individual game. It's the reason Brawl can't recognize SDHC cards and they didn't upgrade the internal memory for vWii. So they could update the firmware to recognize the GC adapter, but it would only work with games that have yet to come out (no patching!) and are designed to take advantage of it. Which are none.

It's the reason I was kinda amazed they said it would work on the Wii in the first place, technically it shouldn't be possible.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 9, 2014

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

absolutely anything posted:

They could, but the way the Wii works internally is weird and (to put it really simply) Wii games just use whatever the latest version of the firmware was when they came out. It's built into each individual game. It's the reason Brawl can't recognize SDHC cards and they didn't upgrade the internal memory for vWii. So they could update the firmware to recognize the GC adapter, but it would only work with games that have yet to come out (no patching!) and are designed to take advantage of it. Which are none.

It's the reason I was kinda amazed they said it would work on the Wii in the first place, technically it shouldn't be possible.

Yeah the only way that could have worked is if they could find a way to trick the system into treating the adapter as the original Wii GC controller ports, which sounds difficult at the very least.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Syka posted:

Yeah the only way that could have worked is if they could find a way to trick the system into treating the adapter as the original Wii GC controller ports, which sounds difficult at the very least.

Well considering they made the Wii mode able to output to the gamepad despite the difficulties involved in that, they might be able to pull something off.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
If we can't use the GC adapters for anything but Smash then I guess I will never get to play my N64 VC games in Wii mode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PoshAlligator posted:

If we can't use the GC adapters for anything but Smash then I guess I will never get to play my N64 VC games in Wii mode.

You could... always get a Classic Controller?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DoctorWhat posted:

You could... always get a Classic Controller?

Those are out of print and are like $40 now.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Just get one of these

They're each $25 and coming out soon, one from PDP and one from HORI

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If they add GameCube controller support for even one more game, or the Wii mode, I'll be happy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DK Bongo support for Kirby Rainbow Curse, please.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ChaosArgate posted:

8 bucks on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-contr...ssic+controller

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Those look like knockoffs that may or may not work.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

"By Generic" should be a huge red flag. Spend those $8 on something better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can tell if they're real or not because the genuine ones have "Wii" above the home button. Those are most definitely knockoffs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can tell if they're real or not because the genuine ones have "Wii" above the home button. Those are most definitely knockoffs.

Well yeah, that too. Almost every knockoff I've ever seen follows that rule of never having logos. They're already made to look like a legitimate product and decieve people into thinking as such, why leave off such an important detail?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Well yeah, that too. Almost every knockoff I've ever seen follows that rule of never having logos. They're already made to look like a legitimate product and decieve people into thinking as such, why leave off such an important detail?

There's a difference between making a legal look-alike and counterfeiting a registered trademark.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cross-posting from the Bayo 2 thread:

JordanKai posted:

:siren:There's a Bayonetta 2 demo up on the EU eShop RIGHT NOW:siren:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
EU gets a demo and not NA? :wtc:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Austrian mook posted:

Maybe we're getting it later today.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I got one of these and it's really cheap-feeling. Light as hell, you have to really jam on the buttons to get them to register, the octagonal gate around the control sticks doesn't work because the sticks don't go out that far, and the dpad suuuucccks.

It works fine for Paper Mario and Majora's Mask Wii VC and it was really inexpensive so I can't complain too much, though.

JordanKai posted:

Bayo 2 EU demo

Goddang inscrutable regional promotional differences. WHY

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Goddang inscrutable regional promotional differences. WHY

NA hasn't gotten this week's eShop update yet. There's still hope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's on the Aussie eShop as well. Downloading it now :bubblewoop:.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Austrian mook posted:

Usually it's the other way around, and has been since the SNES era.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

Usually it's the other way around, and has been since the SNES era.

I don't think there were SNES demos back in the day

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Aaaaa the bayo demo confirms it has the magic of the first and more. Now for the longest wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know how adverse you are to used products but Amazon has some for around $12 from reputable sellers, $17.99 from Gamestop.

• Locked thread