Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

I use this for wireshark

they're moving to QT so there's no more xquartz and gtk piss to deal with
I've got one of the nightly builds on my phone work machine and it feels way nicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahmeni posted:

they're moving to QT so there's no more xquartz and gtk piss to deal with
I've got one of the nightly builds on my phone work machine and it feels way nicer

rad, xquartz seems kind of janky a lot of the time

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
oh hey look systemd is going to replace virtual terminals with systemd-consoled. this is in no way a complete waste of time because

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sassafras posted:

try to pretend that computers haven't changed since 1960?

this is the entire point of Linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lennart Poettering posted:

Much of the Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place to the outside. Where contributions are valued only by their technical quality, and everybody meets at conferences for beers.

Well, it is not like that. It's quite a sick place to be in.

I don't usually talk about this too much, and hence I figure that people are really not aware of this, but yes, the Open Source community is full of assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets. I get hate mail for hacking on Open Source. People have started multiple "petitions" on petition web sites, asking me to stop working (google for it). Recently, people started collecting Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!). Just the other day, some idiot posted a "song" on youtube, a creepy work, filled with expletives about me and suggestions of violence. People post websites about boycotting my projects, containing pretty personal attacks. On IRC, people /msg me sometimes, with nasty messages, and references to artwork in 4chan style. And there's more. A lot more.

I am used to rough discussions on mailing lists, and yes, when I was younger I did not always stay technical in flamewars, but nowadays I am pretty good at that, I am sometimes articulate, but never personal. I have a thick skin (and so do most of the others involved in systemd, apparently), and I figure that plays a major role why we managed to bring systemd to success, despite all the pressure in the opposite direction. But from time to time, I just have to stand back and say "Wow, what an awful community Linux has!".

The Internet is full of deranged people, no doubt, so one might just discount all of this on the grounds that the Open Source community isn't any different than any other community on the Internet or even offline. But I don't think so. I am pretty sure there are certain things that foster bad behaviour. On one hand there are certain communities where it appears to be a lot more accepted to vent hate, communities that attract a certain kind of people (Hey, Gentoo!) more than others do. (Yes, the folks who post the stuff they do usually pretty clearly state from wich community they come).

But more importantly, I'd actually put some blame on a certain circle of folks that play a major role in kernel development, and first and foremost Linus Torvalds himself. By many he is a considered a role model, but he is quite a bad one. If he posts words like "[specific folks] ...should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?" (google for it), than that's certainly bad. But what I find particularly appalling is the fact that he regularly defends this, and advertises this as an efficient way to run a community. (But it is not just Linus, it's a certain group of people around him who use the exact same style, some of which semi-publically even phantasize about the best ways to, ... well, kill me).

But no, it's not an efficient way to run a community. If Linux had success, then that certainly happened despite, not because of this behaviour. I am pretty sure the damage being done by this is quite obvious, it not only sours the tone in the Linux community, it is also teaches new contributors to adopt the same style, but that only if it doesn't scare them away in the first place.

In other words: A fish rots from the head down.

I don't mind using strong language, I don't mind the use of words such as "gently caress", I use the word all the time too, it's really not about that. I must simply say that I wished it would stay at that, because what actually is happening is so much worse, and and so much more hateful.

If you are a newcomer to Linux, either grow a really thick skin. Or run away, it's not a friendly place to be in. It is sad that it is that way, but it certainly is.

The Linux community is dominated by western, white, straight, males in their 30s and 40s these days. I perfectly fit in that pattern, and the rubbish they pour over me is awful. I can only imagine that it is much worse for members of minorities, or people from different cultural backgrounds, in particular ones where losing face is a major issue.

You know, I can deal with all this poo poo, and I guess in a way with the energy we are pushing the changes we propose with we are calling for opposition, so this post is really not intended to be a call for sympathy. The main point I want to make with this is to correct a few things about our communities, and how their are percieved. Open Source isn't a kindergarten. Open Source is awful in many ways, and people should be aware of this.

Not everybody in the Linux community is like this, the vast majority isn't. Not even all our different communities really have a problem with this at all. But many do, and the most prominent one, the Linux community as a whole certainly has.

I am not the one to fix any of this, I cannot tell you how one could do it. And quite frankly, I really don't want to be involved in fixing this. I am a technical guy, I want to do technical things.

My personal conclusion out of all this is mostly just that I don't want to have much to do with the worst offenders, and the communities they run. My involvement with the kernel community ended pretty much before it even started, I never post on LKML, and haven't done in years. Also, in our own project we are policying posts. We regularly put a few folks on moderation on the mailing list, and we will continue to do so. Currently, the systemd community is fantastic, and I really hope we can keep it that way.

And that's all about this topic from me. I have no intentions to ever talk about this again on a public forum.

I've actually seen people unironically suggest that systemd is a military-industrial complex plot to destroy linux

this is what happens when you try to be an adult in a community full of unhinged mentalists, apparently

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Sassafras posted:

How could it possibly make sense to start eliminating ten layers of emulation in ttys that try to pretend that computers haven't changed since 1960?

except they aren't really doing this and all the DEC VT emulation, ECMA-48, etc is just being reimplemented because all the bug tested stable as poo poo kernel code is worthless and this needs to be in userspace because of reasons. all this effort to support the 0.5% of people who actually use console ttys (as opposed to terminal emulators, or ssh, or what have you) is obviously worthwhile

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

I've actually seen people unironically suggest that systemd is a military-industrial complex plot to destroy linux

this is what happens when you try to be an adult in a community full of unhinged mentalists, apparently

Nah, it's just a Redhat plot to claim ownership of Linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that would probably be the best thing for Linux

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Nah, it's just a Redhat plot to claim ownership of Linux.

If you believe Red Hat management is smart enough to even start to plan a coup like systemd, you're an idiot. When I left they were too busy chasing over the cloud with oVirt Docker CloudForms OpenShift RDO OpenStack.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

orphean posted:

except they aren't really doing this and all the DEC VT emulation, ECMA-48, etc is just being reimplemented because all the bug tested stable as poo poo kernel code is worthless and this needs to be in userspace because of reasons. all this effort to support the 0.5% of people who actually use console ttys (as opposed to terminal emulators, or ssh, or what have you) is obviously worthwhile

lol if you believe fbcon is worth keeping around. fbcon is the reason we have to write a simple hardware blitter / rendering engine in the kernel for every graphics driver we bring up. If you have a UMA system, sure, that's nice and simple, just use the generic bitblt, but if you're on discrete video memory, you have to power up the GPU core and write some assembly code to pump the 2D core to do a bitblt to simply show some text and paint it on the screen.

Turns out graphics drivers people are tired of writing that poo poo, and so in userspace it goes so we can maintain the driver *once*.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you believe Red Hat management is smart enough to even start to plan a coup like systemd, you're an idiot. When I left they were too busy chasing over the cloud with oVirt Docker CloudForms OpenShift RDO OpenStack.

It doesn't take a lot of smarts to pee on everything re-write everything and call it yours.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol if you believe fbcon is worth keeping around. fbcon is the reason we have to write a simple hardware blitter / rendering engine in the kernel for every graphics driver we bring up.

can't the GPU vendors just subclass the generic video driver and get that for free by implementing a few methods?

oh, wait, OO in drivers? that's crazy talk!

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 8, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They do. As I said, if you have a UMA system, you can use the standard blitting methods for the most part. But they still have to write the driver twice: once for fbcon, once for literally everything else.

Reminder, fbcon/fbdev are the framebuffer devices that don't support such modern graphics features as "double-buffering" or "vertical blank synchronization". We want to kick it to the curb.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

They do. As I said, if you have a UMA system, you can use the standard blitting methods for the most part. But they still have to write the driver twice: once for fbcon, once for literally everything else.

Reminder, fbcon/fbdev are the framebuffer devices that don't support such modern graphics features as "double-buffering" or "vertical blank synchronization". We want to kick it to the curb.

So consoled doesn't use fbdev? How does it work?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*consolidates related process supervision functionality into pid 1*

You're putting too much stuff into one program!!! Do One Thing Well! :byodood:

*factorises out cruddy kernel-mode functionality and moves it to user-space to better support contemporary GPU hardware*

OMG why are you over-engineering core system functionality??? :byodood:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

So consoled doesn't use fbdev? How does it work?

It uses DRM and KMS, the new modesetting API that's actually sane that the rest of the system has used for years.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

*consolidates related process supervision functionality into pid 1*

You're putting too much stuff into one program!!! Do One Thing Well! :byodood:

*factorises out cruddy kernel-mode functionality and moves it to user-space to better support contemporary GPU hardware*

OMG why are you over-engineering core system functionality??? :byodood:

*bundles newly refactored code into a spaghetti mass of an init system*

*tries to look innocent*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

*bundles newly refactored code into a spaghetti mass of an init system*

*tries to look innocent*

You've never looked at the systemd codebase if you think it's a spaghetti mess. It's one of the best codebases I've ever worked on.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

You've never looked at the systemd codebase if you think it's a spaghetti mess. It's one of the best codebases I've ever worked on.

It's easy to make clean looking code that's still a spaghetti mess. The bit where it gets messy is where you lsof and find that everything just has a socket into dbus and you have 0 introspection without writing a bunch of C to even get the remotest idea what's going on.

(yes I still hate dbus)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

orphean posted:

Here's a fun experiment to present to a user: watch what happens when they accidentally hit ctrl+alt+F1

The most likely outcome is that the user concludes their computer broke and power cycles it. If you're really lucky the distro might have included instructions into getty to press ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to the actual system. But those instructions aren't possible to translate, or even update if there was a successful boot, because all these dumb VTs run in kernel space.

It's like when we disabled X11's "press these keys to crash all programs on the computer button" by default and idiots complained that we were removing functionality.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

What users are just mashing Ctrl+Alt+F1? How does that even happen?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zombywuf posted:

What users are just mashing Ctrl+Alt+F1? How does that even happen?
On my keyboard my F keys are about as far from the number keys as the number keys are from the letters.

Put some ctrl+alt bindings in for various keyboard shortcuts or gaming keys

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

On my keyboard my F keys are about as far from the number keys as the number keys are from the letters.

So a user who's rebound a bunch of keys for special functions? They're pretty rare.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

also Kinesis supremacy

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Zombywuf posted:

also Kinesis supremacy

sorry about your crippling rsi

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

raruler posted:

sorry about your crippling rsi

I think you're projecting

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

lol, gaming on a linux

imagine.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
like most desktop related changes, the removal of the useful x server termination shortcut was imposed for the alleged benefit of people who will never use linux, and caused nothing but inconvenience to the people who actually do use it every day. apparently this is progress.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

like most desktop related changes, the removal of the useful x server termination shortcut was imposed for the alleged benefit of people who will never use linux, and caused nothing but inconvenience to the people who actually do use it every day. apparently this is progress.

:geno::"these lovely programs are hanging up my x server"
:reject::"then kill the x server"
:geno::"ugh... i have to do this all the time. can u fix it?"
:reject::"here i made u a shortcut to kill the x server"
[the lovely programs continue to be lovely]

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Soricidus posted:

I use linux every day and haven't felt a need to forcefully kill X in maybe 6 years.

And if I did, power cycling my computer wouldn't be that big of a difference anyway.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

I use linux every day and haven't felt a need to forcefully kill X in maybe 6 years.

And if I did, power cycling my computer wouldn't be that big of a difference anyway.

I used a Mac for a few years, I felt a need to forcibly kill my display server once every week or so. Usually when I wanted long running processes to not have to be restarted by a reboot.

Linux on the other hand, I have not felt the need to restart the X server for many years as you say.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i miss ctrl alt backspace

but i havent needed it.

bascially

ShadowHawk posted:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

bobbilljim posted:

but i havent needed it.

bascially

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

bobbilljim posted:

but i havent needed it.

bascially

same

it was a cool thing that I used to show friends and be smug about

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Zombywuf posted:

I used a Mac for a few years, I felt a need to forcibly kill my display server once every week or so. Usually when I wanted long running processes to not have to be restarted by a reboot.

Linux on the other hand, I have not felt the need to restart the X server for many years as you say.

why in the gently caress would you forcibly kill the osx window server just because you're scared of processes running for a week??? you could just log out and then log in. that would do precisely the same thing without danger of data loss.

same applies to killing x11. killing the parent process of your entire gui session is unnecessary unless it's actually unresponsive to user input.

(also if you're doing either logout or kill of windowserver on osx just loving go ahead and reboot it takes like 10 extra seconds these days jfc, can't say the same about red hate linux tho it still takes forever to reboot for me)

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

BobHoward posted:

why in the gently caress would you forcibly kill the osx window server just because you're scared of processes running for a week??? you could just log out and then log in. that would do precisely the same thing without danger of data loss.

I think the implication here is that OS X is locked up somehow, and a restart would kill those processes, so if there was yet another escape hatch you could relaunch windowserver

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh god , you said the magic summoning words and now we'll need to have evol white knighting red hat virt for the next two pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
By the way, "RDO" *totally* doesn't stand for "Red Hat's Distribution of OpenStack". No how, no way. It's just "RDO" and it's a distribution of OpenStack that works well with Red Hat software.