Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I just hope that the creators can tell me a horror story, instead of 50 at the same time.
The show has an amazing cast, the cinematography, sets, effects and everything about the visual design is beautiful, and some of the individual plots are really intriguing. There's creepy sexual undertones all around, and the anthology format really fits a horror show.

What I disliked about the past seasons:
- Cramming in way too many "monsters". The first season had a ghost in every nook and cranny of the house, just waiting to get introduced. The second season had such great atmosphere, and way too much going on to distract from it. The alien subplot was the worst and should be dropped altogether, and I really wish they would choose between going down the nazi experiment route, the serial killer or the demon possession instead of doing all at once.
- Name-dropping historical "celebrities". Elisabeth Short in Murderhouse made me cringe, when you introduce America's most famous murder mystery you better have a really original solution to it. When they introduced motherfucking Anne Frank in Asylum I was just about to give up the series, but in the next episode they at least made it a plot point that you don't know if she's crazy or really who she claims to be. Delphine LaLaurie was a little interesting choise as a character, but wasn't used really well in the plot.
- Introducing new plot points that wasn't hinted at ever before. Seriously, this makes sense in a daytime soap when creators have to write a script a day. Worst offenders are the ghosts of Murderhouse that waited patiently to reveal themselves until the episode where we are told their backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I dunno I really enjoyed Murder House because it had so many different characters attempting to complete their goals. I thought it had the best pacing out of the seasons so far and some of the reveals were very well done.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

kjetting posted:

What I disliked about the past seasons:
- Cramming in way too many "monsters". The first season had a ghost in every nook and cranny of the house, just waiting to get introduced. The second season had such great atmosphere, and way too much going on to distract from it. The alien subplot was the worst and should be dropped altogether, and I really wish they would choose between going down the nazi experiment route, the serial killer or the demon possession instead of doing all at once.
- Introducing new plot points that wasn't hinted at ever before. Seriously, this makes sense in a daytime soap when creators have to write a script a day. Worst offenders are the ghosts of Murderhouse that waited patiently to reveal themselves until the episode where we are told their backstory.

I don't know, man. I think all that busy-ness helps to flesh out the setting. Things happen to characters that don't happen to other characters - they all have their own lives and goals and issues. It's also kinda nice to have characters come in after a certain period rather than divide the show up into 5 separate vignettes like Game of Thrones or something per episode. Like I really care about 11 minutes of nothing happening for three episodes straight. :argh:

They don't have to resolve everything, in my opinion. I could only be disappointed had they tried to further evolve the Devil possession or Nazi experiments or aliens or extra ghosts. I loved season 1 & 2.

gently caress Coven, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression is that the utter insanity and manic pacing of the plot is actually what many fans of the show like the most. I remember watching Murder House "live" when it first aired and I was just fed up with it introducing more stories and characters and not just focusing a little. But a lot of other people seemed to absolutely be loving that aspect and its what hooked them. As I was quitting the show and a few others were with me there were more vocal people about how the very same things were selling them on the show.

Personally I would much rather see a more focused show. I've only finished Murder House and Asylum but both seasons had great performances in a great setting and at least half a dozen plots each I would have liked to see really focused on. But the show is so bent on throwing more and more ideas at you that the whole thing gets silly and meaningless to me. I'd almost rather see each season be broken down into like three seperate anthology tales set in the same place. That would give it a little focus while still letting them do most of what they want to do. Some boundaries are good for storytelling, IMO.

But at the same time I feel that its kind of like saying "The Wire would be better if it wasn't so methodical and focused on individual character motivations and just spent more time on the specific case." The show is what it is and you don't have to like it but at this stage there's not really any changing it and there's plenty of people who love it for what it is. The proper thing for me to do is just accept that American Horror Story is not the show I want.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I hope the story is good this year because everything else looks pretty perfect.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

Dugong posted:

Hmm most of the trailers are region blocked but I have seen a few. The caged one was pretty cool. I like the concept but the tone of the Voyeur trailer and the music in particular makes me a bit apprehensive after how terrible Coven was. Also I really wish Quinto would come back.

These ones aren't region blocked: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCirM9Rlazus-LzpLMKwuPWg

It also has #12 Twisted Singer, which is the scary clown-face dude from the article just posted

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Personally, you could say the manic pacing and weirdness of the show was what drew me into the first season, although not necessarily in a good way-- my stepmom had actually started watching it, and I somehow wound up just watching the third episode over her shoulder one night and going "What? Who is that? What did they just do? What is this poo poo and why can't I look away?" We looked up the episodes I missed, and I started watching it with her solely to find out how crazy things were going to get next week, and (eventually) how they could possibly wrap it all up. But it was still basically the Ghost Sex House Trainwreck Hour to me until about eight weeks in. It wasn't until Asylum that I started genuinely thinking of it as a good show, if still a bit loose in the plot department.

And then Coven happened and it became Witch Sex House Trainwreck Hour again. Still something I tune into weekly, but mostly just to see how the hell they're going to pull it together at the end.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Asylum was by far the strongest season, even if it was plagued by a few of the same problems as the rest of the series. I loved the setting, the characters, bloody face, Pepper, Jessica Lange as sister Jude, Dominique playing non-stop in the gathering room, Bloody Face making bedside croque monsieur, the power struggle at the asylum, Lily Rabe's personality change, the angel of death and the mysteries.
I loved the mass murder plot, the demon plot and the nazi doctor with failed experiments running around the lot plot, and I just wish the creators had picked one instead of doing all of them.
I also loved when this unexpected twist happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnxEoYN-9Ks
Every photo I've seen of Freak Show so far looks really promising. I just hope we don't get a van full of ghosts, two vampires, and a hydra pulling up to the carnival in the first episode, driven by Al Capone who somehow escaped death.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
As long as the new season doesn't have a time traveling ghost man, the worst witch hunter business people, and try's not to be a 2010 era show and a 1920s and a 1820s show I will find it more watchable. A story that isn't completely random would not be bad too but they can't do everything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
14 cast portraits, including characters we haven't seen yet. No scary clown.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Is this Twisty now, you think? Or was the previous one with the teeth Twisty?
https://www.facebook.com/americanhorrorstory

Okay either they took it down or what, it was posted 1 hour ago and was a new clown design.. The face was kind of twisting, sort of like a wind machine blown at parts of it. I dunno, anyway. Another clown cliche has been thrown into it.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Captain Mog posted:

Don't forget "Hell is knotty pine?"! The delivery on that line was absolutely loving gold and made me laugh so hard it bought tears to my eyes.

A little late to the party but this was the line that got me to start watching the show -- the TV was playing and I wasn't really paying attention, but Jessica Lange started freaking out about knotty pine and I was sold. Thankfully I misunderstood where I was in the show and watched Asylum before Coven.

Just the thought of Jessica Lange's take on a German accent has me anticipating this season so, so much.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I keep thinking to go back and finally just finish Coven but every single time I remember them sitting around the table explaining their powers and I just can't do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More teaser videos that have trickled out:
Tweaked Clown
Trapeze
Warped :stare:
Let It Out
Strange Twist
Hand in Hand

And a much longer proper trailer: Opening Night

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Ryan Murphy just linked these opening credits on twitter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZnYOvv1v4

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

xeria posted:

That is one of the best opening credit sequences I have ever seen.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

xeria posted:

Well that's properly horrifying. Those conjoined twins seem really into each other. I am so uncomfortable/excited for this to start.

chapstickie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 1, 2014

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Is it weird that my first thought is "Ooh, they tweaked the font just right."? Also, I kind of like the music-box treatment they gave it. A well-done creepy opening sequence.

That lady with the third leg though :stare:

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

xeria posted:

This is by far the best opening sequence they've done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xeria posted:

gently caress, that's way freakier than Coven's :stonk:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Anyone have a link to the season 2 thread? Doesn't seem to come up in a search.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sharzak posted:

Anyone have a link to the season 2 thread? Doesn't seem to come up in a search.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506319

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those skeletons are really going at it with each other, too. Haha, dang, that whole sequence is pretty drat great. And loving weird.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

Vague predictions(????) based off of the intro and preview:
  • Bette and Dot kill their mother, maybe are committed to a sanitarium where Elsa finds them. One sister is more domineering than the other, and more cynical - maybe that sister killed the mom while the other sister watched in horror?
  • Sarah Paulson said Bette and Dot have two separate spinal cords but to what extent their nervous system functions I'm not sure - it seems that one feels the other's pain (I can't tell them apart right now or I could tell you who). This could get sticky coupled with their disability when it comes to having boyfriends and being sexual. As the title suggests, this might lead to some pretty freakish behavior...
  • Elsa Mars is trans or intersex; Elsa meaning "true" and Mars meaning "man"
  • Ethel Darling is definitely from Baltimore

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lily Rabe isn't in this season? Well gently caress. Still, I'll watch it even if it isn't better than Coven, though that would be kinda hard to not be.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

rare bird posted:

[*]Elsa Mars is trans or intersex; Elsa meaning "true" and Mars meaning "man"

I heard this theory elsewhere and I think there is something to it. Not to sound offensive, but a lot of the promo pics and stuff make it seem like they're making a concerted effort to make Lange look like a guy in drag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And off we go!

Tonight on American Horror Story: "Monsters Among Us"

One of the only surviving sideshows in the country struggles to stay in business during the dawning era of television; police make a terrifying discovery at a local farmhouse.

Two notes:

-The name of the show has changed in the listings; your old season pass will not record it automatically and you should make a new one.

-The premiere is 90 minutes long which I'm pretty sure is a first for the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just reading through this thread, there seems to be a lot of apprehension for this season. I guess it's good that this is going to be my first season of American Horror and I don't have the apparent taint of Coven in my mind. I'm excited.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Just reading through this thread, there seems to be a lot of apprehension for this season. I guess it's good that this is going to be my first season of American Horror and I don't have the apparent taint of Coven in my mind. I'm excited.

You should totally watch seasons one and two.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

You should totally watch seasons one and two.

You really should. I just watched all the seasons a couple of months back and the first two are amazing. They hosed themselves several ways with the story in Coven that I think will be really hard for them to do again.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Coven is worth watching for the amazing cinematography and a cast of terrific actresses doing their best with the script they have. Try to ignore that the plot sometimes feels like they hired writers through fanfiction.net, and enjoy the good parts.

I think the focus on witches was a bad choice. Noone has managed to make a good piece of film about witches since 1922.

It really feels like fanfiction at times, and I'm not just talking about the Stevie Nicks plot. There's just so many Mary Sues.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Actually caught the last bit of the last episode of Coven again when FX played it randomly late at night and I was flipping through. Good lord that was a terrible ending to a terrible season.

I'm much more confident about Freak Show given that it's another period piece, the cast is more diverse, and they seem to have more of a focused general plot (hopefully without a bunch of loose strings that eventually need tying.) My only worry is that they don't seem to have a lot of supernatural going on, and while it's not required or anything (Murder House essentially only had the ghosts,) it begs the question as to how they'll set off major plot points.

And I agree, Coven is worth watching, if for no other reason than the ridiculousness and humor, both intentional and unintentional. As a story it doesn't hold up, but as a spectacle, sure. I wouldn't do so while Freak Show is going on though, lest it muddy the waters.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 8, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

kjetting posted:

Coven is worth watching for the amazing cinematography and a cast of terrific actresses doing their best with the script they have.

It's actually really not worth watching with any intent to be entertained by the TV show itself, if you want to metagame your entertainment or satisfy your professional curiosity, so be it, but don't recommend that a layperson watch it and expect to be entertained.

If you want cinematography you should just watch their Season 3 teaser trailers out on youtube.

it's really a bad show and you should feel bad for your faint-praise apologism. :colbert:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If you're halfway through a season of something and really dislike it, would you keep watching for completionism's sake or just stop and move on? I'd only watch Coven if you'd do the former (I'm totally the former) because it's seriously dire.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna say I only really hated Coven when Misty died Why build up a character like that, make her one of the very few likable ones and then boom? Also, what the gently caress was up with not saving the absolutely fatal test for last? It would have been nice if you let one of the girls fail telepathy or poo poo before before consigning them to probable absolute death.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 8, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm gonna say I only really hated Coven when Misty died Why build up a character like that, make her one of the very few likable ones and then boom? Also, what the gently caress was up with not saving the absolutely fatal test for last? It would have been nice if you let one of the girls fail telepathy or poo poo before before consigning them to probable absolute death.

Personally, I hated Nan being drowned only to accept it and go ahead with Legba a hell of a lot more. The perennial dark horse the whole season and nothing came of it at all. You could even reshoot the season without them and nothing would have changed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OmegaBR posted:

You could even reshoot the season without them and nothing would have changed.

You could just say that right there, without any other context, and be 100% accurate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't know if it has been called but I bet Jessica Lange has Teeth this season. Time to enjoy the show slip from having potential into being super awful.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 9, 2014

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

OmegaBR posted:

Personally, I hated Nan being drowned only to accept it and go ahead with Legba a hell of a lot more. The perennial dark horse the whole season and nothing came of it at all. You could even reshoot the season without them and nothing would have changed.

They also just did nothing with that plot line. They literally just have characters try to go somewhere, then disappear into a black hole forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tenzarin posted:

I don't know if it has been called but I bet Jessica Lange has Teeth this season. Time to enjoy the show slip from having potential into being super awful.

What the gently caress are you talking about.

• Locked thread