Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Except the heavy prequel nature of the universe means it was, then for some reason totally abandoned like lightsaber resistant armor and shields.

I imagine you could argue lightsaber resistant shields/armor/doors/etc. are rather expensive to make or require some rare material. Come the time of the original trilogy, the jedi, and just about anyone with a lightsaber is dead and long gone, there's no use for anti-lightsaber stuff.

Stormtroopers not being able to take a blaster shot seems a bit silly but I guess the argument could be that the getup is more of a uniform and generally serves to intimidate the general populace the Empire controls. Stormtroopers being clones (I think) means its probably easier to just throw a lot of them at a problem rather then having a few good ones with proper protective gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignite Memories posted:

Why was mystique able to replicate trask's fingerprints if she had never met him?

I mean, not that she should have been able to anyways, but...

I always wondered how she was also able to copy clothing. Is the clothing just part of her?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphrodite posted:

Except the heavy prequel nature of the universe means it was, then for some reason totally abandoned like lightsaber resistant armor and shields.

Star Wars follows the historical narrative that Golden Ages are followed by Dark Ages. Think of the Old Republic as the Roman Empire in the century or so before the Sack of Rome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

Star Wars follows the historical narrative that Golden Ages are followed by Dark Ages. Think of the Old Republic as the Roman Empire in the century or so before the Sack of Rome.

The lightsaber stuff is actually from prequel movies to original trilogy, so like 30 years or something?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always wondered how she was also able to copy clothing. Is the clothing just part of her?

Yes.

She is essentially always naked.

Though my understanding is her "copying" is good enough that it actually feels and behaves like clothing.

Hell, even when she copied Wolverine in the first movie, she had claws that, while not as sharp as adamantium, still could cut...or am I imagining that she actually cut anything with them?

But yeah, even if she has a sub-conious "perfect copy" thing, I would think she'd still have to at least touch Trask to get copy his fingerprints...and also copy the Professor's eye in the first movie to get access to Cerebro. Though I guess thanks to First Class and DoFP it's established that she has had lots of physical contact with Xavier, so that works, I guess,.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Oct 8, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frankly, Mystique's power doesn't make any logical sense but that's pretty much the same for all mutants.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hell, even when she copied Wolverine in the first movie, she had claws that, while not as sharp as adamantium, still could cut...or am I imagining that she actually cut anything with them?

Pretty sure she didn't cut anything. Wolverine cut the poo poo out of her claws though and it was nuts.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I think Mystique cut some chains that closed a door to cut their fight off from the other three. Think that's about it.

Here we go.
http://youtu.be/bIM0m_rZxQ8?t=40s

kinmik has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Oct 8, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Similar to the T-1000 in Terminator 2. His uniform is part of his fluid thingies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The lightsaber stuff is actually from prequel movies to original trilogy, so like 30 years or something?

Yes, but Rome was in decline before the sack. As levels of training and discipline fell in the legions they stopped wearing the cuirass as part of their standard armour; this happened some time around 390AD. This made them more vulnerable to assault by archers, which caused the loss of the Gothic campaign and led directly into the sack of Rome by the Goths in 410AD. So it actually took less time for the Roman Empire to abandon its best equipment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Frankly, Mystique's power doesn't make any logical sense but that's pretty much the same for all mutants.

Yeah, they didn't bother to start with plausible mutations like some properties do. The very first team has laser eyes and a guy who can turn into ice.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Jedit posted:

Yes, but Rome was in decline before the sack. As levels of training and discipline fell in the legions they stopped wearing the cuirass as part of their standard armour; this happened some time around 390AD. This made them more vulnerable to assault by archers, which caused the loss of the Gothic campaign and led directly into the sack of Rome by the Goths in 410AD. So it actually took less time for the Roman Empire to abandon its best equipment.

Do you have a book on this? The story sounds fascinating.

.. The Romans, not star wars

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah, she's drat near normal compared to someone like Chamber, who's the top third of a body floating over a chunk of raw energy which is sitting atop the bottom third of a body.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Non Serviam posted:

Come to this thread and prepare to lose many hours to fascinated reading :allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Come to this thread and prepare to lose many hours to fascinated reading :allears:

Oh yeah, the thread that had the really weird roman paedo derail. That was a post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

UK Amazon, but you should be able to find the same book in the US store.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like Ghostbusters and Bill Murray is a great actor but if you really look at Venkman's actions he's unequivocally a terrible person.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I like Ghostbusters and Bill Murray is a great actor but if you really look at Venkman's actions he's unequivocally a terrible person.

Mind blown.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

My favorite part of Big Daddy is when everyone cheers while Sandler breaks into a guy's house and robs him under threat of violence. Because he is the good guy in that scenario.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think Ghostbusters really tries to shy away from the fact that Venkman is a doucher to his friends, and he kinda forces himself on a girl in that "quirky romcom" way, but I was okay with his character being a jerk because it made him a good foil to the other ghostbusters.

Re: Bill Murray chat, I looked up Groundhog Day because I wanted to rewatch it after making a joke about it in another thread and I am irrationally irritated that it's not on Netflix! t:mad:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Re: Bill Murray chat, I looked up Groundhog Day because I wanted to rewatch it after making a joke about it in another thread and I am irrationally irritated that it's not on Netflix! t:mad:

Groundhog Day is on TV so often here that it's practically immersive.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Anosmoman posted:

Certainly true in Star Wars. Troopers are lugging around full body armor suits and then get instantly killed by one shot from a dinky laser pistol. Laser weapons can't shoot through trees or metal doors but armor that can withstand them haven't been invented.

In one of the many thousands of terrible Star Wars books, they attempt to explain this by saying the Rebels specifically outfit themselves with heavy blasters designed to punch through the standard-issue Stormtrooper armor. Why the Stormtroopers don't just wear wood or doors is still unknown.

Heavy armor being completely useless against attacks is almost bizarre in how common it is. It's not just incorrect, it's the exact opposite of why people wear it. I was actually surprised in Game of Thrones when Arya tries to stab someone and his armor just completely prevents any injury.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Groundhog Day is on TV so often here that it's practically immersive.

If I ever own a radio station, I will set aside a block of time every day at 6 am where that clip and song play.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kalos posted:

In one of the many thousands of terrible Star Wars books, they attempt to explain this by saying the Rebels specifically outfit themselves with heavy blasters designed to punch through the standard-issue Stormtrooper armor. Why the Stormtroopers don't just wear wood or doors is still unknown.

An explanation I liked well enough (though I haven't read any EU stuff since I was like 12 so I don't remember if it was an "official" source or just a fan theory) was that the stormtroopers are supposed to be more of a fascist police force/peacekeepers than a regular army--since the Empire controls the whole galaxy so there aren't any external threats--and as such their armor is more akin to police riot gear than military combat armor. So it's more designed to protect from smaller, civilian-grade weapons and things like rioters throwing bricks and Molotovs than to keep the wearer alive in heavy combat. Since the rebels were the first organized military resistance to the Empire, they were caught completely off-guard and ill-equipped to deal with it.

It makes a certain amount of sense, I mean even in the real world anything bigger than a handgun will punch right through a police officer's "bulletproof" vest.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Oct 9, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kizudarake posted:

If I ever own a radio station, I will set aside a block of time every day at 6 am where that clip and song play.

That's actually a very funny idea. "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher every morning at 6 AM. I bet it's been done.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's actually a very funny idea. "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher every morning at 6 AM. I bet it's been done.

Don't forget the banter.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kizudarake posted:

Don't forget the banter.

Don't forget your booties 'cause it's COLD out there today!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's cold out there everyday.

There was an open window on my desktop this morning. It was media player, open to Groundhog Day.

I don't remember watching it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
For a while, I had that as my alarm clock. It was pretty existential, I highly recommend it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Oh, that's nothing. My dad scared the poo poo out of my younger sister by showing her either that or Aliens when she was 6.

The stuff with the cat reminds me of the part in the Dawn Of The Dead remake when that girl gets a few people and nearly herself killed just so she can save a dog.
What really always adds insult to injury for me is that usually the animals/pets aren't in ANY danger or even close to as in danger as their human counterparts. Like, I don't think the zombies were gonna eat the dog...was that alien going to eat that cat? :o

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's right, woodchuck-chuckers, it's.... GROUNDHOG DAY!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What really always adds insult to injury for me is that usually the animals/pets aren't in ANY danger or even close to as in danger as their human counterparts. Like, I don't think the zombies were gonna eat the dog...was that alien going to eat that cat? :o

Probably? Isn't one of the aliens in 3 born out of a dog?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

theironjef posted:

Probably? Isn't one of the aliens in 3 born out of a dog?
I'm still betting a cat is in way less danger of alien attack than a lumbering noisy human.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've always wondered how Mike Nelson eats and breathes, and other science facts.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LoonShia posted:

I've always wondered how Mike Nelson eats and breathes, and other science facts.

Well, he breathes at the discretion of the Mads, who turned his air off once as a warning, and he generally eats okay, for example there's a crate of hamdingers in the ship storage.

As for some other science facts, did you know that pine nuts actually are nuts right out of pine cones? They're very difficult to harvest, which is why they are so expensive.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

theironjef posted:

Well, he breathes at the discretion of the Mads, who turned his air off once as a warning, and he generally eats okay, for example there's a crate of hamdingers in the ship storage.

As for some other science facts, did you know that pine nuts actually are nuts right out of pine cones? They're very difficult to harvest, which is why they are so expensive.

You should really just relax.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

...was that alien going to eat that cat?

Everyone in the theater seemed to think so. Not eat the cat, but lay eggs in it at least. Granted, this was 35 years ago and tropes have had a long time to grow into cliches (become tropes) but, like I said, in many ways that would have been a more satisfying realization of the final Ripley vs. Alien showdown if it were handled right.

Having a face hugger bust out of that cat and fight it's way out of that carrier, then chase Ripley all over the escape capsule would have been insane.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

was that alien going to eat that cat? :o

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm not sure who's the more ruthless, stealthy predator, the xenomorph or the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm not sure who's the more ruthless, stealthy predator, the xenomorph or the cat.

Only one will spend years being cared for only to trip you on the stairs early one morning and then eat your face before your neighbors notice the smell.