Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like winning games as Alph in For Glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I've been using ZSS, Samus, Charizard, Bowser, DK, Ganondorf, Mario and Palutena in 1v1 for glory.
Palutena is probably my worst because I'm so used to the other characters, but I really don't think she's that bad.
Pretty much everyone switches to Little Mac if you beat them

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

.TakaM posted:

I've been using ZSS, Samus, Charizard, Bowser, DK, Ganondorf, Mario and Palutena in 1v1 for glory.
Palutena is probably my worst because I'm so used to the other characters, but I really don't think she's that bad.
Pretty much everyone switches to Little Mac if you beat them

I switch to Mac if my opponent is playing Mac and then I just tap my stick repeatedly left and right and make sliding sounds across the stage while not losing any speed because Macs land speed is ridiculous for his strength.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

tbp posted:

My most seen character in 1v1 For Glory is definitely Little Mac, then it's a decent drop off to Sheik/Greninja/Falcon. Never-seens are probably Luigi, Olimar, and Bowser.. everyone else falls sort of in the middle but honestly the gap between my never-seens to the "middle seens" like Link is much much closer than the "all the times" to the middles. It's not really a range, there's a ton of people using the same few characters it looks like

I played a bowser in for glory and all he did was the suicide grab thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Biodome posted:

that might have been me

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Biodome posted:

The Right Way to play Bowser.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I haven't experimented with it much, can any new characters do suicide grab-and-dive poo poo like DK/bowser/kirby?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Is there any way to play Wario in For Glory FFA besides riding his hog back and forth and running people over? If there is, don't tell me.

President Ark posted:

I haven't experimented with it much, can any new characters do suicide grab-and-dive poo poo like DK/bowser/kirby?

Dedede can inhale like Kirby and Ganondorf can choke slam people off the edge. The latter is especially fun on people who chase you off for the kill.

I guess if you're good enough you can probably use Robin and Nosferatu drag someone into the pit.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

President Ark posted:

If Ike hits with aether from below, he can kind of drag them down with him.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

FighterKnuckles posted:

Since someone did a little writeup on Shulk, I feel I might as well do the same with my new main, Pac-Man. I actually really like how he feels, he's a bit hard to kill but has a bit of floatyness that's enjoyable to use.

His Side-B is great for recovery, but be careful for stages with an angled edge, you can bounce off it and go flying, and you really won't have too much luck to recover. If you are hit after starting the animation for his Side-B, the power pellet will fall to the ground and can be eaten by anyone to recover 2% health. Neat!

His Down-B, the Fire Hydrant, is a bit of a wild card. It can do decent damage if you throw it down on someone, about 10%, and the water spewn from it can really ruin someone's recovery, but when someone hits it hard enough, it'll go flying in a number of directions, and you're just as vulnerable to it as they are. Getting hit with the hydrant when its kicked will do 13% damage and has a pretty strong bit of knockback, though its far from reliable. Be careful using this as it can bite you in the butt pretty hard!

He seems a bit lacking on killing power, but his biggest knockback moves seem to be his Up Smash, his F-Smash, and his Back Air. If you wanna go for the kill, that's what to use. Hitting someone by punting the Fire Hydrant also works very well, but you need to be careful using that.
I also wanna point out that his crouching-A attack is REALLY fast with quite a bit of range for anything in front of him and can knock people away quite easily. His Side-B is my favourite move because you can really gently caress up people with it. Fun fact, you can LOOP back round with the pellet line you make and catch opponents by surprise really fast. Only problem is not to hit the ground with it cuz otherwise Pac-Man gets knocked out a bit.

Also, am I missing something about getting Ganondorf? People told me I had to play Classic Mode as Link in order to get him but I did that twice on 4.0 difficulty and nothing came up. Did I have to go a higher difficulty?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Wild Knight posted:

Yep, just confirmed, equipment...doesn't trivialize 9.0 but it makes it a hell of a lot easier than initial thought. Did it first try with my sword-dorf - +25 Attack, +3 Defense, +22 Speed.
The Ganondorf that was the first character I beat Intensity 9 with is actually equipped with +attack/+speed/-defence. And not just a little bit -defence either. It's pretty interesting.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
WRONG THREAD

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 9, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neowyrm posted:

Hey guys, I'm getting an XL soon, and I'm mixed, between the black and red and the solid black models. Is the red matte or shiny/ metallic-ish? Is it nice? Do you feel like you're going fast when you use it? Thanks in advance

it's a metallic matte finish. Smooth to the touch and does look nice.

Going fast when you use it? Like...walking while playing?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

Also, am I missing something about getting Ganondorf? People told me I had to play Classic Mode as Link in order to get him but I did that twice on 4.0 difficulty and nothing came up. Did I have to go a higher difficulty?

Yes. Try at around 6.0 difficulty.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Knifegrab posted:

Wow gently caress crazy hand. Master hand was laughably easy but crazy hand is loving impossible to beat. And when he goes into shadow mode even more so.

I am bad at fighting games.

Also what the gently caress are coins used for?

edit: Also how do I get 100% on the credits score thing, I can always only get ~90%

Coins are actually for developing a crippling gambling addiction in Spectator Mode.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

KingEffingFrost posted:

Coins are actually for developing a crippling gambling addiction in Spectator Mode.

Speaking of, what's up with the For Fun matches where everyone suicides until it's even for Sudden Death, and then the Bob-ombs of Judgment decide the outcome? Is that some weird holdover from Brawl?

I lost a good 5k streak to that, and I've watched it happen multiple times now.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

The Manticore posted:

Speaking of, what's up with the For Fun matches where everyone suicides until it's even for Sudden Death, and then the Bob-ombs of Judgment decide the outcome? Is that some weird holdover from Brawl?

I lost a good 5k streak to that, and I've watched it happen multiple times now.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the actual players are lagging to hell and back, and that's why they sometimes stand in one place and roll back and forth and do special moves at nothing, then SD for no reason.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I suppose that's possible. It's just playing back inputs, right? Lag might result in something bizarre like that, I guess.

Anyway, yes, everyone should spend their gold on gambling. Never bet on Mac in FFA because he will inevitably commit suicide after whiffing a KO punch.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Having the Hand combo four offscreen moves in a row is really awesome and makes me really enjoy playing.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
This is my first time playing any of the Smash series, and while I like the game, I am constantly getting my rear end kicked. For what it's worth, I've also only been playing as Donkey Kong (is this good or bad?).

Reading through the thread, I've noticed that the smash button(s) are your best bet - maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I just spam Specials and get the opponent to 100%+ but then somehow get KO'd - I just don't know how to finish them. What is the best technique for the Smash series? Apparently what I'm doing is wrong. Although I can survive, I still get KO'd all the time because, like I said, I just cant finish them off. What am I missing here? Two last things:

1.) Is Donkey Kong poo poo? Because I like him :unsmith:
2.) Using the same moves multiple times make them less powerful?

Sorry for being a noob :smith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

eightysixed posted:

This is my first time playing any of the Smash series, and while I like the game, I am constantly getting my rear end kicked. For what it's worth, I've also only been playing as Donkey Kong (is this good or bad?).

Reading through the thread, I've noticed that the smash button(s) are your best bet - maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I just spam Specials and get the opponent to 100%+ but then somehow get KO'd - I just don't know how to finish them. What is the best technique for the Smash series? Apparently what I'm doing is wrong. Although I can survive, I still get KO'd all the time because, like I said, I just cant finish them off. What am I missing here? Two last things:

The 'best strategy' varies depending on the character, but generally speaking you just want to give your enemy as little rope as possible. Using smash attacks (tapping the control stick in a direction + hitting regular attack at the same time) usually provides pretty good knockback, so you'll probably want to use those for KOs/distancing over specials.

D.K.'s pretty decent. Nothing special, but he's a pretty burly monkey-man, and his smash attacks have some real impact to them.

And the way the stale moves thing works is that if you keep spamming the same attack, it'll do less damage (and it might knock them for less, but I don't know). It's not that the move itself gets worn out, it'll be at full power--and possibly even never leave it--if you just change up your attacks a bit.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

You're not playing DK right if you don't have a charged punch at almost all times

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't gotten a chance to get the game yet, but I gotta know: how's my boy Ness doing this time around? Even in Melee and Brawl I liked him a lot (though I actually kind of liked Lucas more), but I'm curious if he's gotten any love.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The 'best strategy' varies depending on the character, but generally speaking you just want to give your enemy as little rope as possible. Using smash attacks (tapping the control stick in a direction + hitting regular attack at the same time) usually provides pretty good knockback, so you'll probably want to use those for KOs/distancing over specials.

D.K.'s pretty decent. Nothing special, but he's a pretty burly monkey-man, and his smash attacks have some real impact to them.

And the way the stale moves thing works is that if you keep spamming the same attack, it'll do less damage (and it might knock them for less, but I don't know). It's not that the move itself gets worn out, it'll be at full power--and possibly even never leave it--if you just change up your attacks a bit.

Thanks for the advice. So specials are pretty much not worth the effort? That seems kind of crappy. L/R/U/D+A at all times seems a little bland, unless I'm missing something :downs:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

.TakaM posted:

You're not playing DK right if you don't have a charged punch at almost all times

I've tried this, but can never get it to land without me getting blown up first. I liked the "spinning hit them with your arms move" but it seems like that's why I can always out damage my opponents, but can never win :(

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

eightysixed posted:

Thanks for the advice. So specials are pretty much not worth the effort? That seems kind of crappy. L/R/U/D+A at all times seems a little bland, unless I'm missing something :downs:

Specials usually fill a niche purpose. DK's up+B is surprisingly good recovery for a heavy weight and his charge punch is a good, fast, heavy hitting punch that will kill pretty easily. His forward and down specials leave some to be desired, but don't be afraid to work them in. Ultimately, you just want to get someone off the stage and make sure they don't come back. If giant gorilla arms don't kill them outright, you can jump out after them and use either forward or down air which will both spike them straight down.

Landing big hits is difficult if the person sees it coming, but that's the beauty of four player matches. Just wade into the fray and punch it. On your own, learn to dodge and roll out of the way then hit the other guy while he's recovering. Throws are quick and will catch a lot of people too.

Harrow posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to get the game yet, but I gotta know: how's my boy Ness doing this time around? Even in Melee and Brawl I liked him a lot (though I actually kind of liked Lucas more), but I'm curious if he's gotten any love.

PK Thunder has real live knock back power now. :)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A lot of specials are good for damage. Some are good KO moves too. Most Up specials are recovery focused, but often they're decent damage sources too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

eightysixed posted:

Specials can be pretty great, depending on the character. DK's are all fairly decent, and his neutral B has always been one of the best knockbacks. Do keep in mind that DK and Samus' charging attacks don't require you to fire it off the moment you've finished charging, you can store it (and I think Robin's works that way too, but I might be mistaken). It's generally a good idea to charge up their neutral Bs whenever you have a free moment, so you can let loose a big shot on short notice.

Harrow posted:

He seems like he's gotten really good now! PK Thunder's got proper knockback as said, PK Fire seems to be better at trapping enemies than it used to be, and PSI Barrier is like twice Ness' size now. His yo-yo has actual knockback now, too.

If you preferred Lucas, then I'm pretty sure all his specials are unlockable options for Ness. I haven't found them all, so I can't vouch, but there you go.

EDIT: Oh, and also his stage is one of the best the series has ever had. If you liked the Mother games you'll love it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 9, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

eightysixed posted:

Glad to see other people giving you some good advice as well! The thing about Specials is they're, well, special. Typically they're meant to fulfill a specific purpose, for instance Up+B is typically a recovery move and for Donkey Kong B is a charge punch (charge it while your opponent is at distance, use it for a KO hit). Although nothing's stopping you from using them all the time, using them in situations they're not intended for might get you in trouble.

Besides the standard A attack, there are a couple of types of normal attacks: tilts and smashes. Tilts are pressing a direction and attack (not at the same time) and are typically your bread and butter moves. Smashes are pressing a direction and button at the same time - these are stronger but slower attacks, which should be used for KOs (and they can be charged to have more damage/knockback).

If you find yourself getting KOed often, try shielding more (default R trigger) and rolling (tap direction while shielding). That will help you avoid damage. In addition, whenever you get knocked off the stage remember to always use your second jump before your recovery Up+B move, since you can't jump after using your Up+B.

As for your specific questions:

1) There was actually somebody posting a while back about how Donkey Kong was great. Although I don't use him much myself, he's the only character in the game that can move while grabbing someone (default L trigger), which can setup some good throws. Apparently his down smash (down+A) comes out quickly, and it hits both sides of him. Abusing his Down+B is great for Multi-Man Smash, but probably won't work well in general play. Most of Donkey Kong's attacks use his long arms for good melee range, but he has no projectiles - it seems like spacing would be important for him.

2) Using the same move multiple times does reduce its damage (maybe its knockback as well?). Try to use a mix of tilts and aerial attacks to rack up damage on your opponent, and save big attacks like smashes or Donkey Kong's charged B punch for when you think you can KO your opponent.

You said you're having trouble finishing your opponents off, what attacks are you trying to KO them with?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

If you've already applied a decent bit of damage you can plant them into the stage with his side B punch, and if you have his B punch fully charged it's almost a guaranteed KO.
I haven't experimented much with DK but I've had success using him like I did in Brawl.

Probably the most important thing is to have his punch charged, even if you're not confident in landing it- your opponent will be worrying about it.
His down tilt has good range and speed, it combos into his jab attacks at low percents easily.
His jumping back air kick is one of the best ways to approach because you can do it multiple times in one jump and it combos into repeated up tilts fairly well, all while having your back face the opponent.
His grounded down B has the best range of all his attacks and can be used to force your opponent into shielding or jumping, it's an excellent way to punish people air dodging back to the ground.
His grab is amazing at high percents because you can carry your opponent off stage, throw them at the stage- which spikes them down.

All his smash attacks are kill moves, but easy to read, you've gotta get good at forcing your opponent into risky situations where you can punish them.

Again, I haven't spent a ton of time with him yet, but I used him a lot in Brawl and I feel like he's been buffed since then

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope we get an update to turn off stage hazards. I love the Mother and Mega Man stages but the Flying Men and Yellow Devil show up a bit too often and I don't want to just change the layout to FD.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

This game is really not clicking for me and it's very frustrating. I love the Smash series, but I end up frustrated with the 3ds stick and buttons every single time I play. I'm sort of regretting buying it instead of just waiting for the Wii U release. I'll probably end up trading it in to help pay for the console version when it releases. I was going to get it anyway.

I love everything about the game, though, and the roster is much better than Brawl's in my opinion. I feel like a circus when I'm playing Bowser Jr.

That's how I felt for a bit but try this control scheme: A = attack, B = jump, Y = special, X = shield, R = grab

It doesn't change the fact that the 3ds stick kinda sucks but with that scheme I went from being a piece of poo poo to pretty competent

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope we get an update to turn off stage hazards. I love the Mother and Mega Man stages but the Flying Men and Yellow Devil show up a bit too often and I don't want to just change the layout to FD.

The Flying Man on Magicant is pretty drat strong, getting him on your side gives such a massive advantage. I don't mind stage gimmicks, they can be fun and add variety to the game, I think they went a bit overboard in this one though. Spirit Tracks and Living Room are my favorite new stages, they have interesting features without overbearing gimmicky stuff that distracts from the fight.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The best way to play the game: Never stop dropping hydrants on people.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ometeotl posted:

The best way to play the game: Never stop dropping hydrants on people.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
i like to be the Villager.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I got 1000 Attack in Smash Run as Bowser. Race finisher.

Smash Run, why are you so bad at being good?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

PK Fire can chain into grab, one of the few characters who can kill with a throw, and generally Ness's biggest weakness was sword hitboxes which have been nerfed in Smash 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTJteN--JO0

Here's a Ness going chasedown.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
My first For Glory match. I go in as Greninja. My opponent picks Greninja. The match starts. I immediately suicide because I thought I was him.

Yeah, interface. Put my percentage on the first-player side but spawn me on the second-player side. That makes a ton of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I got 1000 Attack in Smash Run as Bowser. Race finisher.

Smash Run, why are you so bad at being good?

Yeah, I really hope there are patches to makes Smash Run better.

When it works it's fun though. Got 1000 Attack as Ness and Mega Smash, ended up doing ~100% with Ness' bat. Just now got more than 700 speed with Captain Falcon and got race, finished under a minute.

Unfortunately those are I think maybe the two times things have actually worked out, and I'm almost finished playing it with all characters for the challenge.

• Locked thread