Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have any problem with the xp penalties, but it feels like the AI is not tied to the bogus cut-corner / off track / collision speed throttling that it seems geared to push me into. No way to confirm this just how it feels. It's fine if it's gonna crash into me to spin me out, but if I can't do the same thing to it without being throttled down to 40 MPH, that's bullshit. I agree with you S.P., that's how I play racing games as well, but Driveclub is actively discouraging that style with those penalties. If i can crash through some cars to first successfully, my speed shouldn't be throttled for 'bad form' or whatever. Also, the 'collision penalty' is remarkably inconsistent.

And how hard would it be to actually have sand and gravel react like sand and gravel when you drive over it, killing your speed and handling, as opposed an annoying blinking light and noise that says cut corner penalty and just knocks you down.

Game just feels barebones and poo poo and makes me feel like a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I'm really thinking this Dust game is pretty great and I want the dev to do more poo poo like this (maybe a different setting...)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Fame Lifeles... was... right?

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

a shameful boehner posted:

Fame Lifeles... was... right?

About what? Not being to post a thread?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

xian posted:

Can't you get a refund on a game you bought off PSN?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The combat is really fun in dust. Ugh why isn't there a mute voice option at the very least. My girlfriend saw it and very politely told me "that's. .. interesting, dear. ."

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Leyburn posted:

Can't you get a refund on a game you bought off PSN?

Yes. But it usually requires quite a bit of effort.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

echronorian posted:

The combat is really fun in dust. Ugh why isn't there a mute voice option at the very least. My girlfriend saw it and very politely told me "that's. .. interesting, dear. ."

Squeeky little catdragon thing must die.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I loving love driveclub, and this is coming from a guy who generally only plays sims like GT and iracing and poo poo. It's a fantastic game and the sense of "speed" is really good in it. The hypersensitive braking and forgiving drifting make it feel really accessible and easy to get into.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

xian posted:

That was one of the common complaints from the reviews.

I feel like if they had waited for another 6 months so they could include more things from this graphic, it would have fared better....

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I know this isn't the Vita thread, but anyone here have a Vita? How does remote play work and how playable are the games on it? I got my PS4 maybe a month ago and I love it and I'm buying tons of games and now I'm seeing Vitas pop up on Craigslist for around $150 and getting tempted. I don't think there are a ton of Vita titles I'm super interested in right now (although I loved Persona 3 and never played 4...) but being able to play PS4 games in bed would be really sweet.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Yes. But it usually requires quite a bit of effort.

I tried, figuring that if there was one piece of extenuating circumstances, it would be how bad this launch has gone, but no dice. Guy kept repeating lines off some script he had.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

goferchan posted:

I know this isn't the Vita thread, but anyone here have a Vita? How does remote play work and how playable are the games on it? I got my PS4 maybe a month ago and I love it and I'm buying tons of games and now I'm seeing Vitas pop up on Craigslist for around $150 and getting tempted. I don't think there are a ton of Vita titles I'm super interested in right now (although I loved Persona 3 and never played 4...) but being able to play PS4 games in bed would be really sweet.
Some games work better than others, obviously. Having buttons like L1/L3 and R1/R3 on the rear touchpad can be hard to get used to, for example. If developers spend a little time on the Remote Play for their game, then it is great.

I've played Diablo 3 a bunch of times with Remote Play and it was always awesome. Hell, I played Black Flag a ton when I got that itch to be a pirate.

Here's an article that talks a bit about Destiny via Remote Play:
http://kotaku.com/one-small-tweak-makes-vita-remote-play-so-much-better-1639603875

The PS4-to-Vita connectivity is seriously great most of the time. It should work flawlessly on your home WiFi.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 8, 2014

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

goferchan posted:

Works great imo, performance depends on how good is your router though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Whoever was saying that free to play models are going to invade full priced games was not kidding. What a poo poo practice. Pretty disappointed overall between Destiny and Driveclub.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Crows Turn Off posted:

That was one of the common complaints from the reviews.

I feel like if they had waited for another 6 months so they could include more things from this graphic, it would have fared better....

If only they hadn't had an extra year to fine tune things....

Feels like they rushed it to beat out some of the (likely superior) racing games coming down the pipe.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xian posted:

I tried, figuring that if there was one piece of extenuating circumstances, it would be how bad this launch has gone, but no dice. Guy kept repeating lines off some script he had.

You ask to go to a manager/tier 2? Tier 1 will never help.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

echronorian posted:

Whoever was saying that free to play models are going to invade full priced games was not kidding. What a poo poo practice. Pretty disappointed overall between Destiny and Driveclub.

Well I kinda like the model Destiny has as compared to your traditional MMO monthly fee thing. Then there is the GTA V Online thing where they sell digital money for real money, which I think is dumb as hell and the people that actually pay do that just encourage them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

echronorian posted:

They're going to keep ratcheting this poo poo up until the industry craters. Bet on it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
One has to wonder how bad DC was before the year delay.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Popehoist posted:

I loving love driveclub, and this is coming from a guy who generally only plays sims like GT and iracing and poo poo. It's a fantastic game and the sense of "speed" is really good in it. The hypersensitive braking and forgiving drifting make it feel really accessible and easy to get into.

I heard the drifting was pretty tough due to not being able to turn off the assists?

Also, I bought PS+ for Driveclub. Kind of. I got the Destiny PS4 and used the 2 week PS+ trial to play crucible and didn't like it, so I didn't renew until this week figuring I could play Driveclub. I won't be bummed if I can't get it until this weekend but it's kind of lovely if they push it back a couple weeks or so.

Not to mention I can't use the 30 day PS+ code that came with my Destiny PS4 as that's only for new PS+ people, so if you want the code just PM me (if you've never had PS+, it won't work otherwise).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Well got home, and my son purchased the $49.99 DC thinking it was what I meant when I told him to look for the PS+ version of it. I was already tempted to buy it, but guess it was fate. Raced first race, before going on a run and I really liked the handling. I hope I end up on the side that is having fun with this.

Good news another $50.01, and I will get $15 back.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you're the kind of person who doesn't like DOTA it's hard to accept that anything's good about it, but DOTA 2 is a completely free-to-play, free-to-win game that proves the model can be extremely loving profitable. The only poo poo that costs money is cosmetic/extra stuff (most of which can STILL be acquired without spending money) -- they even let players sell and trade those items with each other instead of going through the in-game store. Every single element of the core game is available for free as soon as you boot it up for the first time, no grind necessary, yet they still pull in a ton of money. I don't think the problem is free-to-play, the problem is the idea that releasing a half-assed game is justified as long as it's "free". People will pay out the rear end for purely cosmetic poo poo to show off to other players in a multiplayer game that they play all the time. the game's just got to be solid enough for them to want to do so

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Got a PSN refund request put in for DriveClub. We'll see if it goes through before the servers come back up.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

echronorian posted:

What part of Destiny is like a F2P title? They are going to release expansions there are no microtransactions it's as F2P as Assassins Creed or whatever. Call of Duty and GTA have way more microtransaction bullshit.

goferchan posted:

It depends on the game but I've had tons of success remote playing Destiny on mine. They did a good job with the controls on that one though nothing on the back touch. It worked okay for Watch Dogs too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

goferchan posted:

If you're the kind of person who doesn't like DOTA it's hard to accept that anything's good about it, but DOTA 2 is a completely free-to-play, free-to-win game that proves the model can be extremely loving profitable.

Yes, if you're one of five to eight massive, unbelievable huge gaming phenomenons then F2P can work. Of course if you're a massive unbelievable gaming phenomenon you can make money any way you like: see Doom, Minecraft, and Magic: The Gathering, all of which used different pricing models to make More Money Than God.

Sadly, there are hundreds of games released every year. They can't all be blockbuster DOTA-level hits. F2P games encourage investment and commitment to a single title - by definition, they cannibalize their own industry. A whale in one F2P game is, almost by definition, not playing others. Almost exactly like subscription MMORPGs, in fact.

The F2P thinking - "product X does Y, and is successful, therefore I should do Y" is the exact same thinking that caused a bunch of RPG games to chase World of Warcraft and crater, and a bunch of FPS games to chase Call of Duty and crater. Sadly, unlike previous phenomenons, it's not confined to a single genre - it can infect any title. Which is worrisome.

F2P defenders say three things that I don't particularly enjoy reading: a) they don't seem to realize that financial success and quality product are two different metrics and b) they don't seem to realize that charging full price for a game and then putting cosmetics behind dlc/paywalls is really scummy and a net loss for everyone but publishers (this partially ties back to reason (a)), and c) for every good F2P game that uses F2P mechanics correctly there's more than a dozen that are absolutely wrecked by it.

I can't predict the future. It's my personal belief that, when F2P mechanics and DLC schedules fail to produce the expected revenues, publishers are just going to turn the screws that much harder. The unofficial trend, to me, seems to be an attempt to get 100 bucks out of the dedicated fan for every AAA game. DriveClub is showing that year worth of DLC as a "look at the support this product will be getting" marketing, but I look at it and all it says to me is "buy this game in 18 months when it's content-complete and 25 bucks". I don't know how many other people feel like me but - as publishers continue to try to dribble out 60 bucks worth of content for 100 bucks through year-long, 30+ dollar "season passes" that hold back gobs of desirable content behind a paywall - I imagine that number will grow.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 8, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Why the gently caress do you guys keep telling this fame person to post some thread

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I'm slightly confused, people saying they get driveclub for free if they have PSN Plus. Then what the hell did I just spent £55 on? :psyduck:
Real question: I'm hearing a lot of people saying its barebones and such and if you preordered on PSN and its not out yet - is there any way to cancel it? Rather save it for The Crew or something. :I

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Fluo posted:

Rather save it for The Crew or something. :I

Word on the street is that you will probably be better off with "or something" instead of The Crew.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

404notfound posted:

Why the gently caress do you guys keep telling this fame person to post some thread

Fame Lifeles is a notorious Xbox One console warrior who would come around the Xbox One mock thread and tweak noses with dumb statements. The response, from many of the thread regulars, was that he should post a PS4 mock thread and see how long it took to fall into the archives because nobody gives a poo poo about mocking the PS4 beyond a handful of hardcore Xbox One acolytes.

There, now you know the backstory behind it. It doesn't make it funny. Sorry.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the truth posted:

Word on the street is that you will probably be better off with "or something" instead of The Crew.

Maybe put away some money to buy Gran Turismo 7 a few months after the Playstation 5 releases.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Fluo posted:

I'm slightly confused, people saying they get driveclub for free if they have PSN Plus. Then what the hell did I just spent £55 on? :psyduck:
Real question: I'm hearing a lot of people saying its barebones and such and if you preordered on PSN and its not out yet - is there any way to cancel it? Rather save it for The Crew or something. :I
If you get the free version it's just with tracks from India and 11 cars I think.
I don't know how you can cancel pre-orders on there, maybe it's on the Sony Entertainment site, but if you can cancel it pre-order 2 copies of Bloodborne, digital and LE Physical.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Well I kinda like the model Destiny has as compared to your traditional MMO monthly fee thing. Then there is the GTA V Online thing where they sell digital money for real money, which I think is dumb as hell and the people that actually pay do that just encourage them.

OK so first off, This isn't about Destiny specifically for me, I liked the gameplay enough to put 30 hours into it. It's the overall trend of stripping more and more content out of the game that I find obnoxious and I think it suits a fair example.

If this was a 90/10 split of content, where 10 percent of the game is fleshed out into an expansion or add on, that's one thing. Destiny feels like 33.3 percent of a game. Driveclub, too. At least cut me a break and charge Expansion prices for the upfront installment. If Destiny/Driveclub, and each expansion, was 35 bucks it'd be more in line with what they're doing.

Expansions used to mean additional, new content for an already existing game. Now it's beginning to mean a significant chunk of the base game was lopped off. For example, you've been able to get into some of the expansion areas in Destiny since beta, a lot of people thought they would open up in the full release but nope.

It's a trend that's getting more traction as you can see it in Driveclub, and who knows what else is in the pipeline. I think there's an overarching concept here, and it's sort of showing its face in PSNow, Destiny, and driveclub, of giving you less for the same price and getting you on the line for continued revenue streams.

I'm seriously the last person to complain about gaming, I love games and they are just entertainment. It's so obvious though that I'm being gouged and I'm not a fan of it. It feels like such a tease to drop 60 bucks on a meal, and get a plate of really nice sides. Where's the meat!? This feels like full priced episodic gaming.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2014

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
making GBS threads rear end cunts recommending hitting the merchant in Spelunky. I should've known better too, considering how much I played it prior to the new release...

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

James Woods Fan posted:

making GBS threads rear end cunts recommending hitting the merchant in Spelunky. I should've known better too, considering how much I played it prior to the new release...

Bwahahaha! You can murder him and take all his poo poo but you'd better be sure it's going to work before you try.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

echronorian posted:

OK so first off, This isn't about Destiny specifically for me, I liked the gameplay enough to put 30 hours into it. It's the overall trend of stripping more and more content out of the game that I find obnoxious and I think it suits a fair example.

If this was a 90/10 split of content, where 10 percent of the game is fleshed out into an expansion or add on, that's one thing. Destiny feels like 33.3 percent of a game. Driveclub, too. At least cut me a break and charge Expansion prices for the upfront installment. If Destiny/Driveclub, and each expansion, was 35 bucks it'd be more in line with what they're doing.

Expansions used to mean additional, new content for an already existing game. Now it's beginning to mean a significant chunk of the base game was lopped off. For example, you've been able to get into some of the expansion areas in Destiny since beta, a lot of people thought they would open up in the full release but nope.

It's a trend that's getting more traction as you can see it in Driveclub, and who knows what else is in the pipeline. I think there's an overarching concept here, and it's sort of showing its face in PSNow, Destiny, and driveclub, of giving you less for the same price and getting you on the line for continued revenue streams.

I'm seriously the last person to complain about gaming, I love games and they are just entertainment. It's so obvious though that I'm being gouged and I'm not a fan of it. It feels like such a tease to drop 60 bucks on a meal, and get a plate of really nice sides. Where's the meat!? This feels like full priced episodic gaming.

I only got 30 hours out of this game! Where is the other 66% of it!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Neon Knight posted:

Are you retarded or just didn't read it? It's not about destiny really, it's the trend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neon Knight posted:

Can you believe it, only 30 hours of content and they have the gall to offer me even more hours of content for a fee!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm gonna drop it because it's impossible for this to not become a argument about Destiny (which I loved) instead of a discussion about the trend of stripping more and more content out of full priced games (which I don't love).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

echronorian posted:

I'm gonna drop it because it's impossible for this to not become a argument about Destiny (which I loved) instead of a discussion about the trend of stripping more and more content out of full priced games (which I don't love).

I understand what you're saying. It's even more apparent how some games have DLC released shortly after the initial release.

• Locked thread