Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My Ynab app stopped syncing? Same thing with my fiances... Whats the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My Ynab app stopped syncing? Same thing with my fiances... Whats the deal?

Yeah it's a bit hosed up. It seems to catch up if you drag down to sync a few times.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I only starred syncing last night, but I had to install a new version of Dropbox. Maybe that's it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah make sure your Dropbox is syncing. I had an issue with that last week.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I basically reset the dropbox thing on YNAB and now everytime I try to refresh it says something like "CANNOT OBTAIN IP"

My work has poo poo service, so I guess Ill have to wait till after work to fix this dumbness.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah make sure your Dropbox is syncing. I had an issue with that last week.

Would it tell me if it wasn't syncing?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Downloaded the demo yesterday, not sure how to go with it. Here's my situation:

- I've already broken the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle, and my intention is more to have a control on my finances and have some real targets for saving/retirement/etc... instead of throwing whatever is left at the end of the month on a savings account.
- My salary comes each 24th, but it's pretty irregular. While a fixed salary totals about 90% of my income, my base (about 60% of my fixed salary) is cut up in 18,25 paychecks. One month I may get 3 times my "minimum" pay, another 2,25 times, and a smattering of 1,5 and 1,25 pay months. The rest of the normal salary is constant and equal each month (position bonus, an extra for being away from my town, etc...). I know the numbers so I can plan around this.
- Add 4 lump sums as bonus through the year. This is usually paid late in April-July-October-January, although sometimes it's delayed to early on the following month. I have little control over the amount, but it usually isn't very significative (around 10-15% of total yearly income)
- I'm in Europe, so no 401s minimums or company matches or stuff like that. Getting a pnsion is still a good idea because I can save about 15% of my contribution in taxes.

The idea is to budget the income I receive on the 24th (September is a bare bones month) in the recommended 50/30/20 needs/savings/fun money and then on following months throw a good amount of the extra money directly into savings/emergency fund.

Whould it be better to go with a % budget for each category? I could do that for the non essencial stuff (everything besides rent, groceries and utilities, for example), but I'm a pretty frugal guy and I'm not going to drink twice as much, go to twice as many concerts, get a new car or buy a PS4 just because I can.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I think that would really come down to personal preference. Once you have your basics and savings goals covered, whatever you do with the rest is really not set in stone. Personally I have set dollar amounts, not percentages, for "fun money", and the extra is distributed to wherever it makes sense at the end of the month. Maybe sit down and think about what longer term discretionary purchases you'd like to make. A nice suit, a significant vacation, etc. Make a category for these expenditures and put the "extra" in there.

Edit: to put it another way, break up your "fun money" into everyday and one-off/long term categories. Like, you know you go the bar regularly so many times a month, but you're not buying a bespoke suit or flying to New Zealand that often. The "everyday" stuff should be built into your basic budget, while the long term things are a "if I can afford it" category where extra cash ends up.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 24, 2014

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Whould it be better to go with a % budget for each category? I could do that for the non essencial stuff (everything besides rent, groceries and utilities, for example), but I'm a pretty frugal guy and I'm not going to drink twice as much, go to twice as many concerts, get a new car or buy a PS4 just because I can.

In a lot of ways the power of YNAB is that it forces you to be conscious of each transaction. Essentially as the money comes in and goes out, regardless of regularity, you just adjust that month's budget so you're zeroed out. If you go over or under, you balance other aspects of the budget to make sure each dollar is accounted for. The way I see it helpful (beyond the month-to-month goal) is that you're making an informed conscious decision to pull from other budgeted expenses as you spend, instead of realizing the full effect of your decisions when you realize your account is a little low for your comfort.

For instance this month I've already blown my grocery budget, and with 6 more days to go I've adjusted my restaurant spending to make the difference.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Is there a way to get YNAB to not carry underspending or overspending in categories forward from month to month? I use it to track spending, and as long as I stay below my total budgeted amount for the month, I don't really care whether I overspent in certain categories. Essentially, is there a way to have it start fresh every month?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pinball posted:

Is there a way to get YNAB to not carry underspending or overspending in categories forward from month to month? I use it to track spending, and as long as I stay below my total budgeted amount for the month, I don't really care whether I overspent in certain categories. Essentially, is there a way to have it start fresh every month?
Adjust your budget to zero out each category. Part of YNAB is giving each dollar a job, and then not being afraid to adjust things as you go. If you are overspending in a category you should identify that and either correct it or adjust your budget for it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I sort of figured out what was happening with my YNAB. Somehow my cloudsync got disabled. I re-enabled it, and it was fine for a bit. It just got disabled again?? I think something is wrong with my dropbox.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Confirming that the free license they give away during the Webinars is legit, just got YNAB 4 for free.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This thread has been inactive for a while, but I hope someone will see this and give me some help:

I have a serious problem with my balances. My checking and savings accounts are totally accurate, as I log expenses and transfers whenever I make them. However, the category balances are seriously off. The balances look like I have $54.58 available, but this isn't true. My accounts are accurate, so how do I make my category balances reflect reality? I've done a few savings transfers over the past few months, but I've always logged them as transfers, so it shouldn't be a problem. Can someone help? I don't want to have to re-do five months worth of work and start over from scratch.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

This thread has been inactive for a while, but I hope someone will see this and give me some help:

I have a serious problem with my balances. My checking and savings accounts are totally accurate, as I log expenses and transfers whenever I make them. However, the category balances are seriously off. The balances look like I have $54.58 available, but this isn't true. My accounts are accurate, so how do I make my category balances reflect reality? I've done a few savings transfers over the past few months, but I've always logged them as transfers, so it shouldn't be a problem. Can someone help? I don't want to have to re-do five months worth of work and start over from scratch.

You carry your balances over from month to month. Like if you budget $100 for groceries. If you spent $90 last month you'll have $110 this month ($100 budgeted and $10 from last month). If you are reconciling your accounts and have everything entered your budget should be correct.

If you have too much budgeted for an account you can always push some of it to another category

EDIT: VVVV You are right. Long ago I stopped looking at my account balances and just keep enough in my checking to pay for everything. HonorableTB is it possible to close your savings account and just use a savings account? You aren't really earning any interest but causing you a bigger headache.

gariig fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 9, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

drat man cut that Snus poo poo out - you've already spent more on that than your emergency fund. I'm an ex-smoker and I know it's hard, but it's so worth it.

Not sure if gariig's answer was the answer you needed but here's my take on your question:
YNAB treats accounts equally. The balance (top right of your picture) matches up with your account balances.

If you take your savings account balance: $303.90, and subtract your "Savings Goals" total balance: $263.26 you get $40.64. Add your checking account balance to that. You'll get $54.48.

To reconcile you need to transfer $40.64 into your checking from your savings, and keep your savings account balance equal to your "Savings Goals" + "Rainy Day Funds" total category balances.

Hope that makes sense.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Take a look at your savings categories versus your savings account itself. You have $263.26 in your savings category but $303.90 in your account. The "extra" money in the savings account are allocated to your expenses category. To be honest, unless you have some crazy interest rate right now, a dedicated "savings" account isn't worth it until you've got at least a few grand packed away. Ditch the savings account and build your (at least) one-month buffer in your checking account.

You've also spent three times as much on restaraunts as you have on groceries. Something is amiss there.

And ditch the snus.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

It actually looks like everything adds up, so I don't see what's confusing you. When you say " The balances look like I have $54.58 available, but this isn't true" why do you think that can't be true?

If all of your transactions are correct, and your balances match your real world statement balances, I don't see how you've screwed up at all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I have a serious problem with my balances. My checking and savings accounts are totally accurate, as I logexpenses and transfers whenever I make them. However, the category balances are seriously off. The balances look like I have $54.58 available, but this isn't true. My accounts are accurate, so how do I make my category balances reflect reality? I've done a few savings transfers over the past few months, but I've always logged them as transfers, so it shouldn't be a problem. Can someone help? I don't want to have to re-do five months worth of work and start over from scratch.
What they said, your balances are fine. The money isn't in the account to you think it is, but the numbers are correct. You can transfer funds from savings to checking to balance the differences, but it's all there.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

ilkhan posted:

What they said, your balances are fine. The money isn't in the account to you think it is, but the numbers are correct. You can transfer funds from savings to checking to balance the differences, but it's all there.

So if I transfer the money from my savings over to checking, it'll balance out as long as I bring over the correct balances for each category?

Also to people saying to stop using snus, please knock it off. Everyone has a vice and mine is tobacco. I can afford it, and I am not going to waste time justifying it. Some people waste money on music or or movies or whatever, I waste a small portion on tobacco.

As for spending more on restaurants than groceries, it isn't as bad as it looks because I split the grocery costs with my girlfriend. I agree that I need to rein in that more though and it's something I've been cutting back on more and more each month.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

So if I transfer the money from my savings over to checking, it'll balance out as long as I bring over the correct balances for each category?

Ah, okay, I think I see what's tripping you up.

YNAB treats all the money in all of your on-budget accounts as one big pool of money. It doesn't 'know' money is in your checking or savings. It's all available to be budgeted. You should be able to transfer money between checking and savings and it doesn't effect how your money is budgeted.

In your specific case, you have $304 in a savings account and $14 in checking. As far as YNAB is concerned, this is the same as having $318 in one single account.

So, when you move money between checking and savings, you don't need to change your budget at all. YNAB doesn't care where the money is located.

Note that I am speaking about on-budget accounts. YNAB ignores off-budget accounts for budgeting purposes. You can, if you want, move your savings account off-budget. That would effectively remove $304 from your budget, though.

I hope that makes sense. I'm bad at explaining this software but it's really great.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

Also to people saying to stop using snus, please knock it off. Everyone has a vice and mine is tobacco. I can afford it, and I am not going to waste time justifying it. Some people waste money on music or or movies or whatever, I waste a small portion on tobacco.

"I'm literally the worst with money" but hey "I can afford it". You sound just like I did before I quit. I'm not going to keep bugging you because I don't really care, but that poo poo is loving stupid even if you don't want to admit it. You've spent almost 10% of ALL OF YOUR SAVED MONEY on drugs. You should notate it "Got the good stuff."

I won't say anymore.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

"I'm literally the worst with money" but hey "I can afford it". You sound just like I did before I quit. I'm not going to keep bugging you because I don't really care, but that poo poo is loving stupid even if you don't want to admit it. You've spent almost 10% of ALL OF YOUR SAVED MONEY on drugs. You should notate it "Got the good stuff."

I won't say anymore.

I was a pack a day smoker back in the day. In between jobs all the time. Never had any money, except to buy cigarettes. It's amazing how you find the money for that poo poo.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Gothmog1065 posted:

I was a pack a day smoker back in the day. In between jobs all the time. Never had any money, except to buy cigarettes. It's amazing how you find the money for that poo poo.

Maybe you never had any money because you've spent thousands of potential savings over the years on your bad habit?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Maybe you never had any money because you've spent thousands of potential savings over the years on your bad habit?

I think that was his point.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

LogisticEarth posted:

I think that was his point.

Ah, misunderstood that post then.

The nice thing about YNAB is that it lets you actually think about your $3/day habit and contextualize it on a monthly/annual basis and shows you how much that cheap habit really costs you over time. If it's still worth it to you at $400/yr or whatever, AND you can afford it while still meeting your savings goals, then fine. But to lots of people that $400 is a difference maker budget-wise and knowing it's true cost is a big deal.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've been cutting back on snus use in recent months, and I also just took a job with a $21,500 pay raise and a $25,000 signing bonus so my financial situation isn't nearly as dire as it used to be. I'm going to update my thread in BFC pretty soon and get some advice on how to rework my budget to account for new costs and a higher income.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there a way in YNAB to graph money allocated to pre-YNAB debt? Since it doesn't have a transaction its an invisible factor for all the graphs in reports, but something I want to see. I suppose I could mark them off budget and change to transactions, but that would have kinds of repercussions everywhere else.

HonorableTB posted:

Yes. $40.64 transferred from savings to checking puts the "correct" amount in savings and the "correct amount in checking.
If you add up all the balances in each category (right column) it totals what you have in savings+checking. Again, YNAB doesn't care which account the money is in.

It only tracks income, total balance, and output.
As long as you don't overdraft, your actual checking account balance is irrelevant. The amount you have allocated to that category is the limit, not what you have in checking.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 9, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wish there were some graphs that looked at how much you're allocating to your budget categories instead of the outflows.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How do you guys handle multiple installments of a single thing on the credit card?

Just put them all in the CC account when you make the purchase and clear them month by month? Something else?

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
You mean you'll get additional charges every month? You can set up automatic payments, so it will show up every month.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

HardDisk posted:

How do you guys handle multiple installments of a single thing on the credit card?

Just put them all in the CC account when you make the purchase and clear them month by month? Something else?

I'm assuming you bought something on credit that has a 0% interest rate if paid in 6/12/18 months? I'd just budget how much you need to pay it off in time and just make it a budget category in YNAB. When you make your monthly payment it's not a Transfer like a regular CC but money you are sending to a payee. If this is a CC you need to keep on budget because you use it daily then I don't know.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Say I made a $200 purchase, but the store offers to divvy it up in four installments of $50 each. Each installment of the purchase will appear on my CC statement in the same day, but each with a month between them.

Should I:

1) Put four transactions in the same day as the purchase, $50 each, but each one month apart, and mark them as cleared when I see the installment on the credit statement?

2) Put one $200 transaction in the appropriate category and mark it as cleared

3) Set up automatic payment as per Old Fart suggested and remove that when I see that the entire thing has been paid off.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

HardDisk posted:

Say I made a $200 purchase, but the store offers to divvy it up in four installments of $50 each. Each installment of the purchase will appear on my CC statement in the same day, but each with a month between them.

Should I:

1) Put four transactions in the same day as the purchase, $50 each, but each one month apart, and mark them as cleared when I see the installment on the credit statement?

3) Set up automatic payment as per Old Fart suggested and remove that when I see that the entire thing has been paid off.
Set up a recurring payment for it on whatever account it's being paid with. Or do 4 payments of 50 with the proper dates, then move them to the scheduler so they show up on the proper day without having to cancel it after 4.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Should I:

You could set up a separate YNAB-account for the store and then make a transfer between that account and the CC whenever the installments are paid. Just hide the account when you are done with it.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Zteuer posted:

You could set up a separate YNAB-account for the store and then make a transfer between that account and the CC whenever the installments are paid. Just hide the account when you are done with it.

This is my preferred method. I use it for Amazon credit and things like that.

It's not perfect because there's a limited range of stuff you can spend it on (you can't pay your rent with Amazon credit but it will still show in the budget as available). You just have to make sure you're aware it's there and allocated to a suitable category (books, for me).

For a negative balance you don't have that problem though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks, guys. :)

ilkhan's method seems to be the simpler one, and I might just do that.

Zteuer posted:

This one is quite interesting, but it looks to me that I could open quite a lot of accounts and just end up in a mess.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
How is this different than a recurring bill set to automatic payment, like electric or cable?

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Old Fart posted:

How is this different than a recurring bill set to automatic payment, like electric or cable?

You could do that if you want the cost taken from your budget at the time of payment. If you want the cost taken from the budget at the time of purchase you need to do it in another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Something weird is going on (or I'm being dumb, which is not that weird).

I'm trying to reconcile my current account, there have been about 10 transactions since I last reconciled on the 8th. But somehow I'm getting a difference of 15000 Swiss francs. Just to confirm that I wasn't blind and missing some giant thing in my bank statement, I tried to reconcile from a date we've already reconciled to and there's a 14000 CHF difference:

Here, the balance on my bank statement matches the cleared balance on the date:

But then I don't understand what's happening here:

I've been reconciling this account for about 8 months and it's always been pretty straightforward but now suddenly I don't get it. Can anybody help?