Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
okay I am serious about this one. making plans to head to Rocklin this week if it'll make the drive back.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4686587576.html

How common/easy is what I assume is a leaking oil cooler line?

edit:

or, slightly less affordably, but just a couple towns over from me, this one that was just posted

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
All I know is the turbo is pretty awkward to reach with my short arms.

Speaking of platinum wagons,

If I wanted to freshen up my front suspension, what are good items to start with?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the guy with the $600 wagon emailed me back.

I asked who he was talking about and he hasn't responded. I reeeally hope he didn't junk the loving thing.

:mad:

edit: he sold it to someone else. :unsmith:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 29, 2014

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
Posting my Volvo in the Volvo thread.
'08 C30 T5

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Nice!

Has anyone here ever had to helicoil a water pump bolt hole in a V70 before? I made the mistake of trusting an HF torque wrench and stripped the threads out of one of them in my R tonight. :smithicide:

e: fixed using a slightly longer bolt. There's no way that a drill, etc. would fit to install a helicoil in the hole in question with the engine in the car.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 1, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:frogon:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

zundfolge posted:

Nice!

Has anyone here ever had to helicoil a water pump bolt hole in a V70 before? I made the mistake of trusting an HF torque wrench and stripped the threads out of one of them in my R tonight. :smithicide:

e: fixed using a slightly longer bolt. There's no way that a drill, etc. would fit to install a helicoil in the hole in question with the engine in the car.

Possibly with a right angle drill, but yeah.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
:sigh: Looks like I'm gonna have to pull my S60's transmission out. Master cylinder seal might be failing. I'm gonna take it to a not-poo poo mechanic to see if I can get a solid diagnosis before I do anything to it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone buy this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/globolutz/sets/72157644086886056/

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I've been chasing a suspension bug on my 02 v70 t5 that occasionally pops up as an intense shaking/shuddering when accelerating past 65mph or braking from similar speeds. So far I've changed both front axles and struts and strut mounts and plan on doing the rotors next. Yesterday after ~30 minute drive an "anti-skid service required" message popped up along with the traction light. The same thing happened this morning after the exact same drive. Anyone have any experience with this? I know the light can mean just about anything suspension related but I'm hoping that it could just be a sensor that wasn't properly attached after the last round of work on Monday. I know the obvious answer is take it to a mechanic but that requires me taking a day off from work which I can't do right now. Any input or help would be much appreciated.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

confonnit posted:

I've been chasing a suspension bug on my 02 v70 t5 that occasionally pops up as an intense shaking/shuddering when accelerating past 65mph or braking from similar speeds. So far I've changed both front axles and struts and strut mounts and plan on doing the rotors next. Yesterday after ~30 minute drive an "anti-skid service required" message popped up along with the traction light. The same thing happened this morning after the exact same drive. Anyone have any experience with this? I know the light can mean just about anything suspension related but I'm hoping that it could just be a sensor that wasn't properly attached after the last round of work on Monday. I know the obvious answer is take it to a mechanic but that requires me taking a day off from work which I can't do right now. Any input or help would be much appreciated.

I've had something similar happen to me, and it was one of my brakes partially locking up and gently rubbing the entire time I was driving, causing everything to heat up like crazy.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A coworker is thinking about getting rid of her 2001 V70 and I'm thinking about buying it. She's a nice older lady that baby'd this thing and recently it started going bad. First they replaced almost all the front suspension bits, then the ECM went and I believe they got a new one at the Volvo dealer. Apparently it's acting up again and the dealer is now saying the plugs and coils are the problem, so they're replacing those.

It's got 144k on the odometer, but is in great shape otherwise and they were considering junking it, but I told them I might consider buying it for a little more than junk cost. Is this a good idea or am I getting myself into a money pit?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

Cacafuego posted:

A coworker is thinking about getting rid of her 2001 V70 and I'm thinking about buying it. [...]

It's got 144k on the odometer, but is in great shape otherwise and they were considering junking it, but I told them I might consider buying it for a little more than junk cost. Is this a good idea or am I getting myself into a money pit?

If its an auto with the original transmission, I wouldn't pay more than junk costs- it'll likely need one soon enough.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Was it the ECM or ETM (electronic throttle module) that was replaced? I've almost never heard of a recent Volvo ECM going bad, but the ETM is a known weak point.

Uh, as for the rest of it, like Viggen said it's a dead man walking if the transmission is original. I'd probably pass on it just because it's a first year model with all the associated headaches, but if the transmission was replaced at some point and you can get it for a song it won't be too hateful to own. Plugs and coils are super easy to replace and they're hardly justification for junking the car.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

zundfolge posted:

Was it the ECM or ETM (electronic throttle module) that was replaced? I've almost never heard of a recent Volvo ECM going bad, but the ETM is a known weak point.

Uh, as for the rest of it, like Viggen said it's a dead man walking if the transmission is original. I'd probably pass on it just because it's a first year model with all the associated headaches, but if the transmission was replaced at some point and you can get it for a song it won't be too hateful to own. Plugs and coils are super easy to replace and they're hardly justification for junking the car.

Sorry, I'm getting second hand info from my coworker who is just passing the info along (and it may not all be correct). ETM sounds right as she said it was just speeding up randomly, even with the brakes on, but she said they had to send it away to some company in Idaho for $850 for custom repair, because it couldn't just be replaced (and the dealer wanted $1500 for the repair).

I'll ask about the transmission. It's the 5cyl auto (nonturbo). They didn't want to junk it because of the coils/plugs, but each failure of something happened in rapid succession costing thousands of $$ in replacement/repair and they're just sick of it. I told them I'd consider it if it was running somewhat well and they were going to junk it, felt bad taking a coworker's fully repaired car for junk cost otherwise.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, that sounds like an ETM.

If you're really interested take it for a test drive. The transmission should shift glassy smooth, with no harshness, hesitation, or flaring. If it does any of those things, or revs up before slamming into gear, run away. If it shifts well and you decide to buy it, change the fluid immediately with Mobil 3309 or a fluid that meets that spec. That should keep it alive for a while. It sucks that Volvo saddled their 5-speed automatics with lovely programming (in 2001, anyway) and a "lifetime" fluid interval, because they're fantastic when they're working well.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

So it turns out my shifting problems were fixed by a suspension repair :confused:
It drives like a a dream now, though. Glad I don't need a trans rebuild.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
A while back I picked up some Atlantis wheels from an XC90. This week I found a set of tires for them-someone on CL was selling a set of Continental Contiprocontacts they'd taken off their new Civic Si, and they were the perfect size for mounting 18s on a P80 (225/40R18), so I snagged them. I like the result:

(yes, the front tire in that pic is low on air-I need to take it back to the tire shop and have it remounted, since it seems to have a slow leak)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for repair manuals for a Volvo S90? I've heard Haynes are lovely, Chilton seems to have one manual that covers 8 years of various types of cars, and Bentley doesn't seem to have anything. Does Volvo offer service manuals?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm looking at getting a 2005 Volvo V50 T5 soon - any pitfalls to watch out for? I think the ETM has been replaced, and there's a 24 month mechanical warranty on it. Price is $NZ10k (maybe $9k USD?)

It has 70k kilometres on the clock. Oh, and I'm a car noob that can just about check oil and tire pressures.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 6, 2014

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a '97 850 with a bad ABS module. They're not coded to the vehicle in any way, right? If I pick one up from my local junkyard and put it in, assuming it isn't broken also, nothing else is required, right?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I have a '97 850 with a bad ABS module. They're not coded to the vehicle in any way, right? If I pick one up from my local junkyard and put it in, assuming it isn't broken also, nothing else is required, right?

They're not coded to the vehicle, but the chances of a junkyard module failing again are pretty high (if it hasn't already). Unless you're really hard up for cash or you're not planning to keep the car much longer, you might have better luck coughing up the $80 or so that someplace like Midwest ABS charges to rebuild the module.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

zundfolge posted:

They're not coded to the vehicle, but the chances of a junkyard module failing again are pretty high (if it hasn't already). Unless you're really hard up for cash or you're not planning to keep the car much longer, you might have better luck coughing up the $80 or so that someplace like Midwest ABS charges to rebuild the module.

Pretty much spot on. Even if it does work, you don't know for how long. I had a backup module done by Auto XPress Tech, and about a year on, its just fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
After two months of being deployed, my wife is still loving her V70XC. Did a transmission flush before I left.

Only issues are the drivers side door handle is sketchy and the drivers side window switch is intermittent.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

zundfolge posted:

It's my fourth car and sees about 2,000 miles a year at this point. I'm planning on driving it through the winter though, hence why I want functional ABS and traction control.

If I get it from LKQ and it's bad, I can always return it.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Just changed the sparkplugs on my V40, and it didn't blow up. First time I've ever done this on any car, ever. I've only recently started changing the oil on it myself as well, and swapped out a bunch of dashboard parts and bulbs and such.

I've got those "I've achieved something!" good feelings going on.

Is this how it starts? Am I going to have an old 240 that I swear I'll get running again someday on my front lawn in a few months?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Except the 240 will be running, it's just that everything else on it will be falling apart around the ridiculously reliable drivetrain. Here's the ad you'll respond to:

Runs great! Some rust, needs TLC.

Translation: Massive rust holes in the rear quarters, oxidized paint, all suspension rubber needs replacing, as well as all the interior plastic and cloth.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Fatrick posted:

Is this how it starts? Am I going to have an old 240 that I swear I'll get running again someday on my front lawn in a few months?

I give it a week

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

http://www.pukema.com/240luokitus/volvo240luokitus.htm

aa35199
Sep 1, 2014
Recently got my dads 96 850, na, 5-speed, and slow as hell. My dad bought it new and took meticulous care of it, I learned how to drive stick on it 14 years ago, and knew it would be a solid reliable car. What I didn't know was there is a group of rabid homo's in my rural Wisconsin town that also likes Volvo's and won't stop doing the whole "pull up next to me, drop back, SPPPOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!, LOLVO!" man it's 7:40 in the morning and I just want to go to work.

Edit, Want!

aa35199 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 17, 2014

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Volvo Megathread: Mostly Bricks and Rabid Homos Here :gay:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

zundfolge posted:

Volvo Megathread: Mostly Bricks and Rabid Homos Here :gay:

I think I prefer "240, oil smoke every day."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

I'm looking at getting a 2005 Volvo V50 T5 soon - any pitfalls to watch out for? I think the ETM has been replaced, and there's a 24 month mechanical warranty on it. Price is $NZ10k (maybe $9k USD?)

It has 70k kilometres on the clock. Oh, and I'm a car noob that can just about check oil and tire pressures.

any thoughts on this? I'm going to get it in a couple of weeks; the local volvo mechanic says they're pretty reliable, and it's a fun car to drive.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've heard the same, and I even recommended one to a friend, he's had it for 3 years with no major problems. They are cross platform with the Mazda3 and Ford Focus of the same era, so performance parts are widely available and inexpensive. Like one of the first recommended mods is to get aftermarket MS3 sway bars for it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Viggen posted:

I think I prefer "240, oil smoke every day."

volvo seems to be the nexus of slogans that can be applied to multiple cars.

• bricks with tractor motors
  • 240: oil smoke every day
  • B234 4 lyfe

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Replaced the PCV system and oil cooler lines on my 850r last weekend. Getthing the bolt into the oil line bracket was a bitch even with clear line of sight to it and the intake manifold off. It looks like I may have actually solved my massive oil leaks. Might have to get under my car this weekend with a brush and some simple green to try and clean up the last 10 years of sludge. Could use a tyvek suit and a pressure washer though.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
After tackling the PCV system in my V70R I've decided that a set of wobble extensions is one of the best tool purchases you can make if you own a FWD Volvo. They make it so much easier to get to some of the weird bolts on the front of the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

zundfolge posted:

After tackling the PCV system in my V70R I've decided that a set of wobble extensions is one of the best tool purchases you can make if you own a FWD Volvo. They make it so much easier to get to some of the weird bolts on the front of the engine.
Agreed. The first time I tried the PCV system, I was far less experience with working on cars and it was definitely a learning experience. Having the right tools is everything.

High quality low-profile swivel sockets are also extremely nice. I couldn't find a combination of tools to get to the nut of the rear motor mount without one.