Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sadly a page's discussion thread is deleted when the page itself is deleted. I'll see what I can do with digging through the spin off sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

PresidentBeard posted:

If I remember correctly the SCP foundation page being added to TvTropes led to a bunch of tropers flocking there, and making terrible entries that were fairly quickly deleted. They then whined about how unfair it was and joined one of the no deletion SCP spinoffs.

I wonder what they wrote about the SCP that's a little girl and MUST BE RAPED OR BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN?
(jesus loving christ why doesn't that site delete that article yet)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I wonder what they wrote about the SCP that's a little girl and MUST BE RAPED OR BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN?
:yikes:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

See, you said it was about rape, that means you must want it to be about rape and furthermore :pedo:

No seriously. That was the author's response to being called out on it. That it wasn't about rape, and if you said it was it was because you wanted it to be.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a procedure that specifically requires convicted sex offenders, but it's totally not rape you guys.

I actually don't think that article is entirely bad - the basic concept of "The horror is meant to be in how far the foundation is willing to go" works. It's just that it leans a bit heavily on implying the procedure as being "constant horrible rape" rather than something more vague. It's also massively overexposed on the site - "Procedure 110-Montauk" is kind of a meme there, and memes are a pretty good way to ruin something (just like the "here's all the ways we've failed to kill 682" article).

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Oddly enough they don't actually say a whole lot about it other than the usual "It's so scary and disturbing you guys!" that pretty much every trope listed on the SCP page has.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 9, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Funny how they deleted all the obvious loving self-insert anime characters (OMG THE BIBLICAL ABEL EXCEPT HE'S A BADASS SWORDSMAN WHO BY HIS WRITTEN DESCRIPTION LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A BLAZBLUE CHARACTER AND WIELDS A HUGE SWORD AND IS UNKILLABLE AND INVINCIBLE AND RESPECTS ONLY STRENGTH AND STRONG WARRIORS and a researcher literally called CROW DARK NASTY or something stupid like that).

Shame they still have that lovely montauk procedure thing.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Calaveron posted:

Funny how they deleted all the obvious loving self-insert anime characters (OMG THE BIBLICAL ABEL EXCEPT HE'S A BADASS SWORDSMAN WHO BY HIS WRITTEN DESCRIPTION LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A BLAZBLUE CHARACTER AND WIELDS A HUGE SWORD AND IS UNKILLABLE AND INVINCIBLE AND RESPECTS ONLY STRENGTH AND STRONG WARRIORS and a researcher literally called CROW DARK NASTY or something stupid like that).

Shame they still have that lovely montauk procedure thing.

What is the procedure, for those of us who don't want to touch the poop?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Anticheese posted:

Sex offenders do ~~something~~ to a young girl so that the world doesn't end. Also they give her memory erasing drugs sometimes. It's gross and awful and completely encompasses everything wrong with the website.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nope nope gently caress that I wish I hadn't asked.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

It's not specified, but described as essentially being "The most traumatic thing we can possibly do to this woman, repeated on a daily basis". Heavily implied to at least feature rape as a prominent component. This is the actual article, you might as well just read it, it's not actually something horrible like Fluffy Pony or something, it's just basic horror fiction.

It's essentially "We have to do this horrible thing constantly or THE WORLD WILL END (maybe)". Now that I think about it there's actually a lot of articles on SCP that kind of follow that pattern, and this one is probably what inspired them. Another one requires baby sacrifices to be willingly performed by the child's mother in order to prevent natural disasters. It's all really contrived.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 9, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not specified, but described as essentially being "The most traumatic thing we can possibly do to this woman, repeated on a daily basis". Heavily implied to at least feature rape as a prominent component. This is the actual article, you might as well just read it, it's not actually something horrible like Fluffy Pony or something, it's just basic horror fiction.

It's essentially "We have to do this horrible thing constantly or THE WORLD WILL END (maybe)". Now that I think about it there's actually a lot of articles on SCP that kind of follow that pattern, and this one is probably what inspired them. Another one requires baby sacrifices to be willingly performed by the child's mother in order to prevent natural disasters. It's all really contrived.

Definitely sounds like something a healthy person would enjoy consuming beyond just a basic thought exercise

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

sweeperbravo posted:

Definitely sounds like something a healthy person would enjoy consuming beyond just a basic thought exercise

One of the site's highest-rated articles is a sea anemone made of poo poo and semen that rapes you with its poop until you turn into a shitcumrapeanemone too.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

One of the site's highest-rated articles is a sea anemone made of poo poo and semen that rapes you with its poop until you turn into a shitcumrapeanemone too.

The heck? I thought that they were all like the earlier articles, with atmosphere of the unknown and unexplained. Not animerape.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Annointed posted:

The heck? I thought that they were all like the earlier articles, with atmosphere of the unknown and unexplained. Not animerape.

That one was supposed to be "What actually happens behind all those [Redacted] or [Data Expunged] labels."

Except it was handled by all the skill and subtlety of, well... a troper.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The site admins really hate to delete old articles, so there's a lot of poo poo from the old days that they continue to tolerate. Even they're unhappy about Procedure 110-Montauk. The canon explanation for that now is that there is no SCP 231-7, and the article is a loyalty test. Any researcher who gains the clearance level to read that article and decides to save SCP 231-7 is shot. The site culture of the SCP foundation has dealt with a lot of broken people over the years, and usually handled them poorly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The site admins really hate to delete old articles, so there's a lot of poo poo from the old days that they continue to tolerate. Even they're unhappy about Procedure 110-Montauk. The canon explanation for that now is that there is no SCP 231-7, and the article is a loyalty test. Any researcher who gains the clearance level to read that article and decides to save SCP 231-7 is shot. The site culture of the SCP foundation has dealt with a lot of broken people over the years, and usually handled them poorly.

A lot of poo poo that would most likely be deleted if it were new ends up being kind of grandfathered in just because they've become too well known and referenced in too many places to get rid of easily. It's why Able is still on there despite it being the perfect example of what not to write when you're trying to make horror.

It's pretty similar to some of the stuff on tvtropes in that regard. Sometimes it's easier to just say "look, we know this is poo poo, don't use it as a metric for writing your own stuff" than it is to clean up all the cross-references between things, plus the inevitable complaints from the people that hate change.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 9, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

This whole time I thought the SCP Foundation was an anime, it's starting to look like i'm wrong

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

"That's an interesting subject to study." said the researcher. "But what do you call it?"

"The Aristocrats!"

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

sweeperbravo posted:

This whole time I thought the SCP Foundation was an anime, it's starting to look like i'm wrong

Hey now, a monster of the week horror anime that doesn't involve school kids actually seems like an alright idea. Just so long as the scps aren't made into anime girls.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
procedure 110-montsundere

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SCP Foundation is a pretty good example of why the wiki model shouldn't mix with fiction, because you have some genuinely good writing in there tied down by being associated with dumb garbage bullshit and terrible idiotic stories clinging to the wiki because it's become entrenched in the bullshit metafiction.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

SCP Foundation is a pretty good example of why the wiki model shouldn't mix with fiction, because you have some genuinely good writing in there tied down by being associated with dumb garbage bullshit and terrible idiotic stories clinging to the wiki because it's become entrenched in the bullshit metafiction.

Could you please summarize for me what it is, because I'm too apprehensive to google or go to the actual site?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sweeperbravo posted:

Could you please summarize for me what it is, because I'm too apprehensive to google or go to the actual site?

Addendum 4445-01: For specific SCP items, please see these lists.
Addendum 4445-02: SCP-4445 provides examples of tropes in these subpages:
Tropes A - D
Tropes E - M
Tropes N - R
Tropes S - Z

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sweeperbravo posted:

The X-Files, but a wiki.

Not the show, the files themselves.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The X-Files, but a wiki.

Not the show, the files themselves.

I think I'm still confused, spinning kitty man

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

sweeperbravo posted:

A wiki cataloging a bunch of things that are supernaturally dangerous, all held (more or less) by a shadowy organization that protects humanity from the dangers posed by these items. Each entry is supposed to be the containment procedures and descriptions for one of these things, which range from items to people to monsters. It's the place where the Holy Grail gets taken at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, or it's X-Files, or it's pretty much exactly Warehouse 13 if Warehouse 13 replaced most of its comedy with horror.

That said, some of the more goofy ones are the more enjoyable ones. Look up the experiment logs for the interdimensional vending machine and the machine that takes any material and makes it 'coarse' or 'fine', I remember those were pretty enjoyable.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sweeperbravo posted:

I think I'm still confused, spinning kitty man

quote:

Mission Statement

Operating clandestine and worldwide, the Foundation operates beyond jurisdiction, empowered and entrusted by every major national government with the task of containing anomalous objects, entities, and phenomena. These anomalies pose a significant threat to global security by threatening either physical or psychological harm.

The Foundation operates to maintain normalcy, so that the worldwide civilian population can live and go on with their daily lives without fear, mistrust, or doubt in their personal beliefs, and to maintain human independence from extraterrestrial, extradimensional, and other extranormal influence.

Our mission is three-fold:

Secure

The Foundation secures anomalies with the goal of preventing them from falling into the hands of civilian or rival agencies, through extensive observation and surveillance and by acting to intercept such anomalies at the earliest opportunity.

Contain

The Foundation contains anomalies with the goal of preventing their influence or effects from spreading, by either relocating, concealing, or dismantling such anomalies or by suppressing or preventing public dissemination of knowledge thereof.

Protect

The Foundation protects humanity from the effects of such anomalies as well as the anomalies themselves until such time that they are either fully understood or new theories of science can be devised based on their properties and behavior. The Foundation may also neutralize or destroy anomalies as an option of last resort, if they are determined to be too dangerous to be contained.
The wiki is basically all of the dossiers on these "anomalies". It's all written by nerds on the Internet, so you can expect a lot of bullshit.

(Eh, beaten.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 9, 2014

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm just going to quote the OP from the SCP thread over here.

DeusExMachinima posted:

For those not in know, the SCP Foundation (SCP stands for "Secure Contain Protect") is what you'd get if you crossed the X-Files with CSI, with the same level of investigative competence. It all got started as a one-off joke on 4chan's paranormal /x/ boards with an unusual copypasta. If that article reads suspiciously close to a Weeping Angel from Doctor Who, consider that it began to show up shortly after the first Weeping Angel episode aired in 2007.

Since the internet can't let go of anything, fast forward to 2014 and there are now over 2,000 paranormal objects, creatures, and phenomena analyzed in a quasi-scientific manner. Most are forgettable and interchangeable (just like most X-Files and CSI episodes!), some are hilariously awful, and a very few are actually great horror. Most SCPers confuse killing tons of people with automatically being scary; their ultimate horror movie monster just effortlessly mutilated 23 armed guards, it's so badass you guys.

And so, so many "ongoing plotlines" with "original characters" across multiple articles that can only be completely followed by someone dumb enough to engage in their infamously drama-filled forums. There are other much more knowledgeable posters on this subject and I'll let them fill us in if they decide to drop by. I've taken a look into the hive--even registered an account once--and I'm not doing that to myself.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
They turned this into an SCP.

And I have to applaud them for it.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
There was one about an AI on datatapes that could only remember the last 10 minutes because of its limited ram, until it talked to this other anomalous dudething and from then on it would ask to talk to that guy when it was turned on.

That one was pretty good

Then I read another one about this zone zone that gives everything 'personhood', not like things talk, you just get the sense that everything is a person while you are in it, or something like that. That's when I stopped reading entries.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arguably the best SCP is the Crimefighting Ghost Tupac, which isn't even horror.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

There was one about an AI on datatapes that could only remember the last 10 minutes because of its limited ram, until it talked to this other anomalous dudething and from then on it would ask to talk to that guy when it was turned on.

On a similar note, the stack of DVDs with pre-recorded responses to all conversations was pretty fun. Basically, when researchers play a given DVD for the first time, the man on screen responds politely to all questions but doesn't know much more about the situation than the researchers do. From all testing, all of the DVDs are completely pre-recorded- rewatching shows exactly the same thing as the first watch showed.

The primary researcher assumes it's some sort of elaborate temporally-displaced prank.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Arguably the best SCP is the Crimefighting Ghost Tupac, which isn't even horror.

The best ones are usually just the odd or bizarre ones. Like the racist alien from another universe who talks to researchers by fog writing on a window.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Somfin posted:

On a similar note, the stack of DVDs with pre-recorded responses to all conversations was pretty fun. Basically, when researchers play a given DVD for the first time, the man on screen responds politely to all questions but doesn't know much more about the situation than the researchers do. From all testing, all of the DVDs are completely pre-recorded- rewatching shows exactly the same thing as the first watch showed.

The primary researcher assumes it's some sort of elaborate temporally-displaced prank.
Did nobody ever think to rip one of these DVDs before playing? Maybe even watching the disk and the copied file simultaneously in separate rooms?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

If I remember right, that and the 'child rape to save the world' article were written by the same author. Which explains a lot, really.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Zemyla posted:

They turned this into an SCP.

And I have to applaud them for it.

The stupid ones are often the best. Like the Communist Spiders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mr. stefan posted:

Actually they've wiped out or heavily edited a lot of the stories that had been heavily tied into other articles a while back, particularly the Magic Blocks Any Mental Effects Metal thing and the Guy Who's Totally a Regenerating Warrior Badass. I don't remember the names or numbers of them but both used to be referenced in every article that could tangentially involve them.

It also barely uses the wiki model really, due to how you can't freely edit any story articles you didn't write yourself.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The stupid ones are often the best. Like the Communist Spiders.

Haha, I quite liked that one. What's the ratio of good ones to poo poo ones like?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

TheHeadSage posted:

Haha, I quite liked that one. What's the ratio of good ones to poo poo ones like?
Eh I'd say it follows the 10% rule. The articles that are good are really, really good. Such as the donut which destroys and remakes the universe in an instant. You can tell that there was a shitload of imagination and effort put into it. I also like the rock fire. It's simple and straightforward, yet horrifying when you think about it. But yeah you really gotta dig for these gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

TheHeadSage posted:

Pretty much weighted towards poo poo. The communist spiders remind me of that one SCP that shoots out :911: A GLORIOUS COMMIE-HATING BALD EAGLE :911: which immediately attacks any communist, Russian, German or other enemy of America while screaming obscenities.

To End All Wars is another good one, and one of the few good ones that isn't just funny IMO. There is a thread somewhere on PYF about the SCP foundation too.

• Locked thread