Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Child Labor Amendment (failed, later made obsolete when the Supreme Court changed its mind on the constitutionality of banning child labor)

What the gently caress, Massachusetts? I thought we were cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What the gently caress, Massachusetts? I thought we were cool!

How does it feel to be worse than Oklahoma? :smugdog:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Shots fired in the Dittoheads thread

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Say what you want about the Catholics, at least the child rapists they were running interference for weren't part of their religion via an imaginary TV character.

Wait what are you referring to here?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Today was a fantastic day in San Antonio for right wing radio. And by fantastic I mean didn't happen.

Spurs were playing a basketball game over in Berlin, (they lost :()but the best part of it all was that our main radio station for covering Spurs games is also our right wing radio station.

One of my coworkers was grumpy all day because he couldn't listen to Rush, and I couldn't have been happier for it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

StandardVC10 posted:

Stephen Collins is not a minister, he just played one on TV. Despite this, shitheads are attempting to defend him and take racist potshots at Islam at the same time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

He's saying that the Catholic coverups of molestation, while horrible, were at least understandable reactions by flawed human beings who were trying to preserve the image of their institution, which was a central part of their lives and identity and with which they identified more than they identified with with the suffering of children. Awful yes, but still well within the realm of comprehensible human evil.

Now take Crowder, who is devaluing victims and whitewashing abuse by an actor to protect the reputation of an imaginary preacher character on TV :psyduck:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

StandardVC10 posted:

Presumably the only reason people like Steven Crowder feel the need to defend Collins for his pedophile poo poo is that he played a evangelical pastor on a TV show. Any normal thinking person would say "Not great optics, but that's a TV character, not a real member of our church", but American Evangelicals like Crowder are so loving stupid they think because an actor who plays a Christian got popped for kid diddling they need to start defending him for the honor of Jesus. They have such a huge hard on for being persecuted that they'll carry water for child molesters who pretended to be one of them on TV.

These are the same people who made it so phone numbers on TV are often "555-555-5555" because if it was anything else guys like Steven Crowder would try and call Indiana Jones.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 8, 2014

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Apparently Jon Stewart was considered to replace David Gregory on Meet the Press

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/jon-stewart-might-have-been-meet-the-press-host.html?mid=twitter_nymag

That would have been something

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I am always amused by the right wing and sexual assult. They either outright defend the abuser(ray rice, stuibenville) or they try false equivalency(hurdur Muhammad did it so all Muslims are worse then the molester by default) gently caress chowder so hard.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It says a lot that he seems to have no idea that

1) Preaching to the choir on this isn't doing anything. American Evangelical hate for Muslims is the definition of saturation point.

2) Everyone else who sees it reads it as a flailing attempt to defend a child molester. Which says way more about Crowder than anyone else involved.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Real classy to try and split hairs between child molestation and child rape too. Who the hell thinks this makes a great opportunity to score some points for their team?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Keeping it classy in Arizona, one of the Republican candidates thought it'd be a swell idea to use part of the James Foley beheading video in a campaign ad.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/219908-gop-house-candidate-ad-uses-isis-beheading-footage

It's OK though because Kyrsten Sinema is the first openly bisexual member of Congress, so she's clearly on the side of "not a true Christian" just like ISIS.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It says a lot that he seems to have no idea that

1) Preaching to the choir on this isn't doing anything. American Evangelical hate for Muslims is the definition of saturation point.

2) Everyone else who sees it reads it as a flailing attempt to defend a child molester. Which says way more about Crowder than anyone else involved.

I'm sure he looked at that deal and said "Hmmm. I can continue making 8 figures where I am taking pot shots at a media apparatus that disgusts me, or on the other hand I can completely sell out to that apparatus and cause everyone to hate me for what is almost certainly less money... Decisions decisions..."

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: You may have heard the terrible news here that Thomas Duncan, the Ebola patient from Liberia, made his way to Dallas, has died. The Reverend Jackson was in Dallas yesterday trying to soothe the community. The Reverend Jackson helpfully claimed that Thomas Duncan got sick, went to the hospital, but he didn't have insurance and they turned him away. So they sent him back into the community with a contagious disease, and for that there must be some liability.

The Reverend Jackson is claiming all this happened in Dallas. Never mind Duncan was not turned away because he didn't have insurance. It's against the law. You go to the ER, you get treated. He wasn't turned away because he didn't have insurance. But the Reverend Jackson is trying to find a way to make somebody with deep pockets liable here. There's no question.

What is this? Duncan got sick. He went to the hospital, didn't have insurance in Africa so they turned him away? See, the story is, he told 'em he was from Liberia. He goes in, he exhibits flu-like symptoms, they give him some antibiotics and send him home. The claim has now erupted that all that happened because he was black. That's the meme now.

That's the story that they're gonna stick to, that the medical profession in Dallas just didn't want to deal with a foreign black man. They knew what was up. They just sent him home. He didn't have insurance in Africa so he couldn't pay for anything. But it's against the law to do that in this country.

The Reverend Jackson also helpfully questioned why Mr. Duncan wasn't getting ZMapp. That's the essential serum, the super-secret serum that's made from an exclusive tobacco plant in Kentucky. Reverend Jackson said, "They are saying no more doses (of ZMapp). That seems strange to only have only enough medicine for two patients in the whole country." The Reverend Jackson is referring to the charitable workers we flew home from Africa and gave them ZMapp and they recovered. This is helping the community, don't you know, Reverend Jackson stirring things up.

Meanwhile, there's a story today, what is it, H.R., is it the Boston Globe or something? There's a story about how talk radio and cable news are stirring all this up. Talk radio and cable news aren't stirring anything up. As usual, my patience wears thin on this kind of stuff. These are just the usual shibboleths that the media fall back on. They don't even know what's happening on talk radio. They don't listen to us. So now they're out there blaming Fox News, blaming talk radio for stirring things up. What is Jesse Jackson doing by going down there and trying to fire up that community by telling them that Mr. Duncan was turned away for racial reasons and was not given medicine because he wasn't an American?

We are out of ZMapp. We've sent a lot to Africa. I wonder if the Reverend Jackson mentioned that to the community down there. It's experimental. We don't have massive quantities of the stuff, this tobacco plant in Kentucky. You know tobacco is the enemy of the left. There are all kinds of regulations involved in using tobacco plants for this kind of serum in medicine. And CNN is doing their part, too, man. Ever since the news of Mr. Duncan's death was released they've been harping on the fact that he was released from the hospital after his first visit to the ER. You can see where this is going, and you can see what the purpose of it is.

And, once again, this country is to blame. This country and its basic instincts, just not comfortable with a sick African showing up at the hospital. So now focusing on, harping on the fact that he was released from the hospital after his first visit to the ER. I just saw earlier today, a reporterette and infobabe at CNN was just saying that those couple of days where he was turned away and sat at home, if he'd have gotten good care, might have been crucial to his survival.

They can't chalk it up to simple incompetence. They can't chalk it up to nobody in this country is prepared. They can't chalk it up to the fact that the president's been telling everybody, "Don't worry, it's not gonna come here," and then we let somebody in. They don't chalk it up to the fact that there's mass confusion in the emergency medical services field over what to do about this, 'cause there really isn't any authoritative leadership coming from anybody. Everything they say creates more questions.

The CNN infobabe also stressed that Thomas Duncan told the hospital that he had recently visited Liberia, and they still sent him home. I've wondered about that. We all did. He tells them he's from Liberia. He's got flu-like symptoms. Why does the connection not get made that, "Hey, we might have an Ebola patient here." I have no idea, but they've made the connection they sent the guy home on purpose, and they gave him pills that they knew weren't gonna be effective, antibiotics, and those two days could have been crucial to his survival.

They're running around getting the community he's from all fired up about this, which is exactly what they do, turning this into a typical, average political agenda item for the Democrat Party. Well, here's the thing about this. He told them he had recently visited Liberia. What if he had just told the nurse he was from Liberia? You know, visiting Liberia is one thing. He told them he was visiting because he's here illegally. He can't tell 'em he just got here. He thinks he's not gonna get treated, so he's gotta try to pass himself off as somebody who's already here who was visiting Liberia, just came back.

What if the nurse had been too concerned about the political correctness to hold that against him? You know, this political correctness stuff rearing its head in any number of ways, what if the nurse, "I can't do anything. He says he's been to Liberia, oh, my God, if I do anything I'm discriminating." You know what political correctness does to people. It paralyzes them. It frightens them. What if the nurse went to public school. What if the nurse is so obsessed with political correctness. You see there's any number of explanations for this, and most of them come down under the column of lack of confidence, insecurity, incompetence. But here come the baiters, and they want to charge it all up to racism.

So now I predict to you that what you'll be hearing about is discrimination against illegal aliens from Liberia next and that this case, Thomas Duncan and his death, will be cited as an example.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/08/the_race_baiters_descend_on_dallas

quote:

RUSH: Yvonne in Tampa. Hi, Yvonne, great to have you on the Rush Limbaugh program. Welcome.

CALLER: Hi, Rush. I'm so thankful that I was able to get through and I've just literally been beside myself lately about this Ebola thing. Rush, I'm a physician, and I was in Miami in the early eighties when they first identified this virus called HIV. I remember back then they didn't know a lot about it, and I had to go to this place called Belle Glade, Florida. At the time, it had the highest per capita rate of AIDS/HIV infection, I believe, in the world.

I remember speaking to infectious disease experts, as I was concerned, and they told me, "Don't worry about it. Even if you test positive for the antibody, you'll probably never get the disease." We know now, if you're infected with HIV, a positive antibody, you're infected with HIV. That's what that means now. We didn't know it back then. But you have to remember: AIDS was treated not as a potentially deadly contagious sexually transmitted disease.

It was treated in a politically correct manner, and people died. If you treat Ebola in the same way, a potentially deadly contagious disease, people are going to die. I'm beside myself when I'm hearing these experts talk about people who are contagious, they have means to stop people from coming in the country. They are allowing people, this administration, to come into this country who are infected with this virus, and people are going to get sick, and people are going to die. That's just the way it is.

RUSH: Now, wait just a second, you racist person, you. Yvonne, I was just watching CNN, and they just did what they called a "reality check" on Wolf Blitzer's show, and they just said on CNN that it's impossible for Ebola to come across the border.

CALLER: (big sigh) They told me that it was probably you're not gonna get HIV if you test positive for antibody antibodies.

RUSH: Yeah, but you understand I was being facetious when I called you a racist. You understand I was just treating you the way the left would treat you, 'cause you're absolutely right. I remember HIV like it was yesterday, and I remember Ronald Reagan being blamed for it.

CALLER: Yep.

RUSH: You know why Reagan was blamed for it? Because he didn't talk about it, and because he didn't talk about it, that allowed it spread. He wanted people to get it and that became the operative theory that explained the spread of the disease. Not anything else. Reagan not talking about it became the reason it was spreading. You're also right that from the get-go, HIV had political correctness attached to it. (sigh) You were limited as a doctor in what you could say about it, were you not?

CALLER: You were. You couldn't report it the way you could report other infectious diseases that were sexually transmitted. The same thing with Ebola. I am beside myself. People are going to die. We cannot let people who are infected with this virus into this country. The administration, this president, if people die, I really believe it's on his hands, because this is something that absolutely should be contained.

RUSH: Now, let me run a couple other things by you, Yvonne, since I have you and since you're a physician and you've been around a long time treating these things, these types of things. When this administration, when people in the health industry and in the health sectors the administration began addressing Ebola, one of the things they told us was that it's not spread in an airborne way.

You have to come in contact with a patient, have physical contact with one or with bodily fluids or something. Now all of a sudden we have this, from TheHill.com, no less. "The Ebola virus becoming airborne is ... possible but unlikely..." It is possible, and guess who's saying so now? Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control. "The outbreak involves Ebola Zaire, a strain that is passed through bodily fluids, not the air.

"But some experts have expressed fear about viral mutations due to the unprecedented -- and rising -- number of Ebola cases." So the point is, it's changing rapidly. Three weeks ago, not airborne. Now it's possible. The second bit of news that has been reported today is that Ebola can survive in male semen for 90 days after a patient recovers from it. Had you heard that?

CALLER: Yes, I'd heard that. Look, you want to label people as panicking versus the fact that they're concerned. Rightly so. I don't believe that people are panicking. I really appreciate what you've been doing. You've been talking about this for a while. This needs to be addressed, and people need to take this seriously, this administration, because this is real. This is real. This is going to kill people. This is not panic. You're right. Viruses mutate. We don't know how they do it.

RUSH: I know.

CALLER: Don't know how this is gonna evolve.

RUSH: Right.

CALLER: You have to err on the side of caution, and the president, this administration, they have an obligation to the American people to protect us.

RUSH: Ah! Ah!

CALLER: That's why I'm so frustrated.

RUSH: Now, Yvonne, you are forgetting: There's an election coming up in November, and that is a dominant factor in this. I hate to say it, but it is. I want to thank you, by the way, for acknowledging that we have done no panic-mongering on this program by any stretch. In fact, in service of that comment, one of the things that I have been chronicling somewhat irregularly for the past number of years is all of the erroneous health news that has been reported to the American people.

Over the years, all of this stuff that has created panic, such things as, "Eat oat bran and you'll never get sick," and then they say,
"Oops! Don't eat oat bran because it clogs up the bowels," or whatever, and then, "Coffee, caffeine, is destined to give you a heart attack," and then we find out caffeine might actually help in Parkinson's.

And then they say, "Whatever you do, don't smoke!" and then we find out that nicotine... Every day there's some new discovery about some food item or some health item that can prevent you from ever getting sick, or make you get sick much sooner if you ignore the news. People are bombarded, my point is -- and you know this better than anybody, as a doctor.

I can't imagine what it's like when patients come in to your office and they say, "Dr. Yvonne, I just heard yesterday that if I eat two cashew nuts every day for a month I'm gonna reduce my chance of getting breast cancer by 20%. Is that true?" You sit here and you listen to this and you say, "Where did you hear this?" "Well, it was on the news. And then somebody else comes in with whatever the latest supposed cure.

"If you drink red wine, you'll never get a heart attack. Look at the French," and then after that was out there for 10 years, that went away. "Guess what? That's not true." So all of this has to happen in context. Now, here comes Ebola. Up 'til now, Ebola has been something way over there. Ebola's been written about in thriller novels. All of a sudden now, we've got our first death, and it didn't take long.

And all it took is a guy in Africa who came here. As far as the news told us, he lied and he wasn't honest about things, and then they said, "No, he was. He told us he was from Liberia and he came here." The point is, there are reasons for people to be concerned. There's a general lack of trust in positions of authority in this government already. There's no trust in running the economy.

There's no trust in policies that grow the economy. There's no trust in foreign policy. There's no trust period, and it spans the political establishment. I'm not even speaking exclusively of the Democrat Party. There's just an absence of trust. The institutions that people used to depend on now are held in great doubt. You put that together with the flood of information coming, and television? Who knows who these people are that are so-called experts that they're putting on to tell us about it.

We had a story yesterday about how experts aren't and how experts constantly get things wrong. How experts in economics are surprised every month about the jobs numbers, and yet TV seems to have a limitless supply of experts from this health department or that health division or whatever, and people are being bombarded. But what you have here when you strip all that away, you have a virus for which there's no vaccine and no cure, that the death rate can reach 90%. That's all people have to know to then want to know what do they have to do to avoid getting it. That's why they need to be able to trust when people tell 'em it's not airborne, and then a week later, well, guess what? It might be.

There's so many pressures on journalists to be the first to report something. There's so many pressures on journalists and TV shows to be unique and have things nobody else has that it's all treated as just the next political story rather than a genuine health story. Now, this is already being combined with illegal immigration and, I mean, even the health community's refusing to tell the truth about it because it might sabotage their position on immigration and amnesty. Well, that's irresponsible. Amnesty, immigration ought to have not one factor in this. It ought not be a factor in disseminating information to people to help them take steps to protect themselves.

You have the general of the Southern Command saying quite honestly that he is kept awake at night worrying about an outbreak of Ebola in Central America.
He knows as well as the next guy that if that happens, there's gonna be a flood of those people out of Central America to the United States, for two reasons. A, to get away from the outbreak. And, B, to get to the nearest place they think they have a chance to get treated. That's what the United States represents to a lot of people.

And when you have people at the National Institutes for Health belittling all that and calling it fearmongering, all you end up doing is confusing people. And why do you do that? Because there's a political issue called amnesty that must survive whatever happens here with Ebola. Those drat borders had better not get closed 'cause if that happens, the dream of amnesty might go with it for another couple of years or whatever, and they're thinking they're so close now.

So the things that really matter to people are being subordinated to the political issues of the day, and it has people who are thinking about it just craving the truth. They're craving leadership and authority that they trust that they don't think has been corrupted. And, frankly, if I may be honest, I hope this program is one of those places. I hope and trust that people who listen to this program understand instinctively that whatever is passed on about this disease here is passed on in the blinding light of truth. If I think somebody is fearmongering I'll report what they say and then tell people I think it's fearmongering. If it's legit, it's legit, if I think it is.

But I have no political agenda attached to whatever I learn about this and then pass on. But that's not true of everybody involved in this. So it's scary, is the bottom line.
Now, you add to this what she just reminded us all of, about how HIV became a politically correct disease. HIV, in the early days, I remember what people said about it. It was the first disease that had civil rights. It was the first disease that had civil rights, human rights and so forth, and it was all about privacy. Remember that, Snerdley? It was all about making sure that we did not find out who had it, because that was an immediate stigma, and that would lead to discrimination, and that would lead to no treatment.

So we were not allowed to know who had it. We were not allowed to know how it was acquired. That was also a biggie. The way it was acquired was suppressed. And there were stories, you just wait, this disease doesn't know orientation. This disease could spread like wildfire everywhere. There were all kinds of politically correct attachments with HIV. And it's possible the same thing could happen here.

You go to Dallas and you've got the Reverend Jackson trying to stir up that community down there, claiming, "Well, this guy might have been saved if he hadn't been from Africa," is essentially what Jesse Jackson's been trying to tell people down there. So it's getting tougher and tougher and tougher to weed through all the noise and find out what's true.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/08/a_doctor_with_ebola_concerns

quote:

It's made to order now for the Drive-By Media to devote themselves to convincing us that Duncan died because of racism, because of bigotry, because he was from a foreign country, his family are illegals, African-American, every requirement for the Drive-By Media to accuse this country of being bigoted and racist. And then we'll hear, "This is what happens when people are forced to live in the shadows. They're afraid to come out and get treatment because maybe they won't be treated, and maybe they'll just die anyway."

And then they'll say, if it wasn't for our ignorance -- ignorance is always a factor in bigotry, it's a magic word -- if it wasn't for our ignorance and our nativism, Thomas Duncan might well be alive today.
And we have to make sure that others like him are not afraid to come forward. It's in our nation's best interests. It's a matter of public safety, and it's about who we are as a people. It's about putting our better angels in the forefront. Just see. Just see how long it takes.

I may be wrong. We may hear nothing like that. But if we do, if you hear any version of that, what you must conclude is the effort is being made to make sure that no matter what, we do not close the border. The border must stay open so that more can get treatment and not succumb like poor Thomas Duncan did. We must set aside our fear, our bigotry, and our ignorance and not allow our lesser angels to dominate and blah, blah, blah. Give it a couple of days, three days, see what happens.
RUSH: Here's Suzanne in Nashville. Hi, Suzanne. Welcome to the EIB Network. Hello.

CALLER: Hi, Rush. I'm actually in Memphis, but I'm calling in response to Gary that called you yesterday and told you that you were fearmongering. I got so outraged over that, it just flew all over me. It's time that common sense took hold of everybody. It just made me want to slap all these people and say, "Snap out of it!" The low-information voters have got to wake up, because we do need to afraid of Ebola, and we need to be afraid this enterovirus. It's not just affecting children. Adults have died, too, but the news media isn't talking about that. They're not talking about the resurgence of TB. That paramedic that called you yesterday, he was talking about how he got exposed to TB.

RUSH: Right.

CALLER: We eradicated all of these illnesses. We had conquered TB in this country and Measles and Whooping Cough and Scarlet Fever and all these diseases, and now they're popping back up. We have all these illegals that are coming into this country. They're not vaccinated, and they're forced into the schools. The schools have to take 'em. We just move to Tennessee. My son had to have a physical before he could be admitted to the school.

They're not requiring that of these illegals, and it's frustrating. One of my friends heard on the news last week about Ebola. His daughter was with him, she's eight, and she asked what Ebola was 'cause she heard him talking about it and how the man who come in this country and all this. So he sat her down and he explained to her what it was, and she said, "Well, Daddy, the way you stop it is you don't let those people come in this country."

RUSH: Ahhhhh, yes.

CALLER: She gets it.

RUSH: But, see, that's mean. Now Suzanne, everything you said's right on the money, including that, and that is exactly why it won't be said. By stopping, by not permitting people to come in the country you've just undercut one of Obama's big sales pitches for the election. That's the Hispanic vote. If you say or do anything that would cause even more people to oppose amnesty than already do, it's not acceptable.

Politics is overriding this, and I'm gonna real eager to see if I'm prediction about the way the death of Thomas Duncan's dealt with comes true, how long it takes. But I appreciate your call. A guy called yesterday and told me that we laypeople need to just shut up and leave it to the experts. Anything else is fearmongering.

She's saying, "You know what? That's silly. We all need to snap out of it. Common sense is common sense." You don't need a Harvard degree or anything to have common sense, and people who have common sense need to speak up, including low-information crowd. Suzanne, I appreciate it. I really, really do. Thank you very much.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/08/thomas_eric_duncan_amnesty_martyr

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

But the Reverend Jackson is trying to find a way to make somebody with deep pockets liable here

That bastard

Now let me explain why Obama should be impeached because a guy was diagnosed with Ebola

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Chadderbox posted:

I can continue making 8 figures...

Lol, Crowder and his level hack don't make even close to that. Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity may be well up into the 8 figure range, but someone like Crowder? I'd be surprised if he cracked a quarter million, honestly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Real classy to try and split hairs between child molestation and child rape too. Who the hell thinks this makes a great opportunity to score some points for their team?

It was just heavy petting!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Lol, Crowder and his level hack don't make even close to that. Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity may be well up into the 8 figure range, but someone like Crowder? I'd be surprised if he cracked a quarter million, honestly.

He was referring to Stewart.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ReidRansom posted:

Crowder is not cracking a quarter million. That's hilarious. He's probably making about $70,000 - $100,000 per year depending on how many gigs he does. Remember that he was fired from FNC and lost out on all that deep cable money for saying Hannity was too wimpy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ErIog posted:

Crowder is not cracking a quarter million. That's hilarious. He's probably making about $70,000 - $100,000 per year depending on how many gigs he does. Remember that he was fired from FNC and lost out on all that deep cable money for saying Hannity was too wimpy.

I said I'd be surprised at that much. I was thinking more in the mid 100s, but you're probably right that it's even lower.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Ah, guess I wasn't reading too closely or whatever. ya that guy makes a ton.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 9, 2014

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

I was referring to Jon Stewart, who does indeed make $25-30 million/year.

Edit:

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What this guy said.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How crowder manages to make even 50k/y astonishes me... I wonder how much O'Keefe pulls.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tab8715 posted:

How crowder manages to make even 50k/y astonishes me... I wonder how much O'Keefe pulls.

Does it matter? Any amount is too much.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Probably less than he used to, but still far more than he should be.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Fulchrum posted:

Stephen Collins is not a minister, he just played one on TV. Despite this, shitheads are attempting to defend him and take racist potshots at Islam at the same time.

Weird. As a raging liberal when I heard the news about Collins, conservatives/the religious right never even crossed my mind. It's like Crowder is assuming all liberals immediately linked Collins with the right. These rightwing idiots are becoming so hysterical & reactionary, they're literally one step away from being committed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is a highlight of stupidity. Guess who said this?

quote:

“Biblically correct sex is safe,” he said. “It’s safe. You’re not going to get chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, AIDS.”

Phil Robertson

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
What exactly is Biblically correct sex? loving your siblings?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The right doesn't give a poo poo what the Bible actually says. According to the Bible it's OK to sell your daughters into sex slavery.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Nah, it's loving your dad.

quote:

Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.
I forget where I read this, but I remember reading an analysis that said that this wasn't meant to be historical, it was just the author of that part of Genesis taking a potshot at the Moabites and Ammonites. Basically, insulting the people you hate by calling them a bunch of inbred fucks has existed for at least 3000 years, probably even more.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 9, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I was watching Contagion while reading this and its kind of hilarious/terrifying how similar Rush's rants on Ebola are to the rear end in a top hat blogger in that movie. I can only assume he shills herbal remedies and crap in between Oxycotin doses.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

A human garbage fire posted:

I just saw earlier today, a reporterette and infobabe at CNN was just saying that those couple of days where he was turned away and sat at home, if he'd have gotten good care, might have been crucial to his survival.

There's a very short list of people who don't get to cast aspersions at any news apparatus, even shitshows like CNN. At the very top of the list is "fuckers who use terms like 'reporterette' and 'infobabe'" :argh:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Presumably the only reason people like Steven Crowder feel the need to defend Collins for his pedophile poo poo is that he played a evangelical pastor on a TV show. Any normal thinking person would say "Not great optics, but that's a TV character, not a real member of our church", but American Evangelicals like Crowder are so loving stupid they think because an actor who plays a Christian got popped for kid diddling they need to start defending him for the honor of Jesus. They have such a huge hard on for being persecuted that they'll carry water for child molesters who pretended to be one of them on TV.

These are the same people who made it so phone numbers on TV are often "555-555-5555" because if it was anything else guys like Steven Crowder would try and call Indiana Jones.

Wait a minute, I read Crowder's spiel, and it didn't sound like he was defending Collins at all, just using him as a springboard to loudly declare that Muhammed was so much worse. Still stupid, but not pedophilia apologia, I don't think?

Production
Jun 11, 2001

1stGear posted:

I was watching Contagion while reading this and its kind of hilarious/terrifying how similar Rush's rants on Ebola are to the rear end in a top hat blogger in that movie. I can only assume he shills herbal remedies and crap in between Oxycotin doses.

I haven't seen most of Contagion so maybe I'm interpreting a joke backwards, but yeah, Rush had a dangerous yet somehow homeopathic product as a big sponsor.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2008/12/09/eib_caller_zicam_isn_t_hooey
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/30/AR2006013001240.html

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The kind where you're a virgin and so is your spouse, and then you never cheat on each other and only have sex when a baby is the goal.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Production posted:

I haven't seen most of Contagion so maybe I'm interpreting a joke backwards, but yeah, Rush had a dangerous yet somehow homeopathic product as a big sponsor.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2008/12/09/eib_caller_zicam_isn_t_hooey
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/30/AR2006013001240.html

That's perfect. For reference, one of the characters in Contagion is a blogger who shills for an alternative remedy that doesn't actually work while claiming the government is covering up the REAL cure, purely so he can make money off the advertising deal. He gets arrested and charged with multiple crimes, a fate I doubt Rush will share.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Isn't that asking for homegrown extremists to behead him like what happened in Oklahoma? I don't have much of a grasp of the nuance of religion but, I'm pretty sure that mentioning the prophet in Islam is something you don't do.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I thought it turned out the dude in Oklahoma was a dude who was pissed off over being fired, and also happened to be Muslim.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
How many child brides did King David have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Typical Pubbie posted:

How many child brides did King David have?

None last time I checked, though he did have a dude sent to the front lines so that he would be killed. This was of course so that he could keep banging said man's wife.