Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Chop is just hilarious. His surly grumpiness makes a great contrast to R2, and I loved him stirring up poo poo on the shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MrBigglesworth posted:

If politics are boring and don't belong, then why are they interested at all? Without politics, you would have no system of goverment in the Empire to over throw.

Aristocracies, guilds, republics, empires, Star Wars IS politics.

Yeah, I agree that politics were always present in some form, but they weren't quite as overt in the OT. Granted, there are really only a few short scenes in the prequels that revolve purely around politics, but it can't be denied that it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. And then when TCW came along, everyone seemed to think it was a return to form, but then they still complained about the handful of episodes that dealt with the Senate. Personally, I don't think there's much difference between the scenes in the Senate with politicians arguing about planetary blockades and the scene in the Death Star conference room with moffs arguing about bureaucratic control over star systems, but then again I'm not the average Star Wars fan.

I'd love to know what happened to the remnants of the Trade Federation and other rebellious commerce guilds (probably forcibly nationalized), how exactly the Senate functions in the context of an anti-democratic Empire, whether some of the old Separatist remnants joined up with pro-Republic Rebels in the face of an even more oppressive government, how clone troopers aging out of military service were dealt with, stuff like that. But a lot of that has become tainted by association with the prequels, even though I think it's pretty interesting stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Chop is just hilarious. His surly grumpiness makes a great contrast to R2, and I loved him stirring up poo poo on the shuttle.

Yeah, he's the best character so far. Such an rear end in a top hat droid :allears:

Second episode was pretty good. Though I feel like they may be overdoing the incompetence of the storm troopers. I know they're lovely shots in the films as well, but goddamn they couldn't even hit C3PO when he was standing totally still.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Benedick Cuckold posted:

when everyone's least expecting it, we'll be hit with Senator Binks of Naboo, loyal Imperial and personal friend of the Emperor.

That is exactly what they need to do if they're serious about making the show child friendly. I feel Jar Jar still has a lot of room to grow as a character and it would be wise of Disney to find a place for him in this new expanded universe.

Or, they could do a huge favor for the show and go a bit dark by having Vader force choke Jar Jar to death after he calls Vader "Annie."

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, he's the best character so far. Such an rear end in a top hat droid :allears:

Second episode was pretty good. Though I feel like they may be overdoing the incompetence of the storm troopers. I know they're lovely shots in the films as well, but goddamn they couldn't even hit C3PO when he was standing totally still.

Would be kind of nice, though at least there's still a definite "we need to RUN!" feel every time the Ghost's crew runs into them, bad shots or not. Honestly it's gonna take seeing stormtroopers against somebody else to determine whether the bad aim is just plot armor. And going by last episode Kallus at least feels like a credible combat threat considering how easily he owned Zeb with a weapon Zeb should theoretically have more experience with; sure Ezra hurled him away but I can buy Force telekinesis as a trump card over skill. He certainly FEELS competent enough to fit the role of an elite agent anyway.

Serotonin posted:

I loved episode 2 and sure you can argue that the insertion of the droids and Bail were a bit tenuous but it excited the 6 yr old in me.

I personally found it interesting they established the show's people might be rebels but they aren't Rebel Alliance yet. Changing that status could make an interesting plot later on (or, for that matter, not changing that status could get even more interesting).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

MadDogMike posted:

I personally found it interesting they established the show's people might be rebels but they aren't Rebel Alliance yet. Changing that status could make an interesting plot later on (or, for that matter, not changing that status could get even more interesting).

Dont get me wrong I thought it was great, but I could see how the more cynical and burned out could moan about it. So far I have very high hopes for this show.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Saw the first episode, I have only seen an episode or two of the 3d Clone Wars series but really liked the 2d Clone Wars film when it came out years ago. This seemed okay, a bit bland in some areas such as the market at the start and chase which was a bit lacking in detail and I thought the delivery of lines a bit too cheesy for the first half but I'll give them time to establish the characters for a few more episodes.

They need better theme music though, terrible distorted mashup of the Starwars theme.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Finished watching the first episode. I definitely enjoyed it and agree this feels like somebody's West End tabletop group. I'm a real sucker for stories like that, so I'm on board there. I'm not sure if I like the animation yet. It looks really awful in stills, but I don't notice it so much while its in motion. I will say this, after the first scene, I wasn't really feeling very threatened by the Empire, especially the Storm Troopers. It really struck me that three TIEs opened up on Ghost and did nothing but whiff on plot armor. And in the same scene that a bunch of troopers stood around taking wildly missing shots while standing in the open, but I can forgive, I could easily see how having them all behind cover or whatever would be a less compelling image. Also, very happy that none of the wookies turned out to be "anybody"; really expecting the kid to be Chewbacca or something. (I could be way off on that, if Chewbacca is already an adult in this time period.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ZorajitZorajit posted:

really expecting the kid to be Chewbacca or something. (I could be way off on that, if Chewbacca is already an adult in this time period.)

Chewie is already hanging around with Han Solo at this point and is nearly 200 years old. He'd already appeared back in the Clone Wars TV show as well as Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.
http://www.starwars.com/video/yodas-farewell-to-chewbacca

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

MrBigglesworth posted:

If politics are boring and don't belong, then why are they interested at all? Without politics, you would have no system of goverment in the Empire to over throw.

Aristocracies, guilds, republics, empires, Star Wars IS politics.

Star Wars has politics, but the thing that made it really stand out was the Force and the moments where it's used to create wonder in the movies.

It was a bit much when the prequels went super wonk into trade regulations and senate procedures.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Tezzeract posted:

It was a bit much when the prequels went super wonk into trade regulations and senate procedures.

The point is conceded. Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Sith Happens posted:

The point is conceded. Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?

Seconded.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tezzeract posted:

Star Wars has politics, but the thing that made it really stand out was the Force and the moments where it's used to create wonder in the movies.

I am one of the few people that loved all the senate scenes.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Yet another rebellion has risen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

thelaughingman posted:

quote:

Does anyone else feel like we're assaulting the Death Star here?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

quote:

"You have allowed this... money addiction to twist your mind until now you've become the very thing you swore to destroy."
"Don't lecture me Dark Horse. I see through the lies of the expanded universe. I do not fear a reboot as you do! I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new universe!"
"Your new universe?"
"Don't make me bankrupt you!"
"Disney, my allegiance is to the EU, to consistently good stories!"
"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."

Emphasis mine. Do these people somehow think that the EU was some magical trove of consistent storytelling? I mean, sure, it had some really good stuff in there, but it also had its stinkers that other writers tried to work around if not outright retcon and ignore (thanks to the tier system and all).

Like, seriously. As much as I would like the old EU to maybe get touched upon in future in some way, I really don't see why some people have to frame the whole thing as 'attacking' the new material. Or that Disney, if it even notices their existence, would be somehow encouraged to make new Legends material for a group that is trying to throw bile at them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I like what they're doing so far with the old EU in Rebels. There's a lot of nods and carrying stuff over, but they aren't overdoing it. Seeing stuff like AT-PTs and disruptors is neat to a Star Wars nerd like me, but a lot of the source materials for neat stuff were pretty bad.

EDIT: I am curious to see if they'll ever bring in stuff from the old Marvel comics.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 8, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Good....GOOOOOOD. Fanbois of the EU, let the HATE flow through you!

Oh man this is delicious.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The ability for people who are more discerning than Lucas to basically sit around sifting through the EU for what's good and bad is the biggest benefit of the EU cleansing. Actually I lied mad people are the best part.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sith Happens posted:

Every single time I hear or read this line, my mind trails off. I literally can't focus whenever it's said because I'm just so bored by it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The neat thing about fictional worlds is you, as a reader/viewer/whatever, have the option to pick and choose what you choose to believe is "canon". Just because Disney is saying it's not part of the new canon shouldn't make it any more or less valid in your point of view. And, most importantly, Disney isn't send squads of goons to break into your house and confiscate your copies of the bug orgy trilogy.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Though they should. :colbert:

e: People getting mad about the Canon/Legends stuff gets even more hilarious when A New Dawn and (what's been released so far of) Tarkin are almost indistinguishable reference-wise from the EU at large. They're just angry that Chewie getting crushed by a moon, Darth Jason, Chief of State Daala, and yes, bug orgies, ain't in no more.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 9, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The kids nose is huge

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
I've never read a single EU book in my life. What's this about bug orgies?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Sin of Onan posted:

Just walk away, and thank us later.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Every single time I hear or read this line, my mind trails off. I literally can't focus whenever it's said because I'm just so bored by it.

I don't know. It's one line in one scene that's barely more than a minute long, and it's actually a pretty dramatic scene where Palpatine is in full Satan configuration, whispering into a good person's ear to manipulate them into toppling a government. And Terence Stamp does a good job of communicating how frustrated and impotent his character feels in being forced to say such a thing.

I mean, feel how you want to feel about it. But from my own experience, I know that literal children are capable of enthusiastically powering through that scene, so I find it odd that it reportedly induces involuntary narcoleptic reactions in so many grown adults. But Rebels is targeted even younger than the movies, so maybe they should have even more political scenes, given that that stuff's apparently more suited for kids.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Sin of Onan posted:

You should read the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn, it's really good. I'm also partial to the Hand of Thrawn duology, by the same author.

Most of the EU however is, by and large, terrible. See: bug orgies. (Which series was that anyways? Post 2000 I gave up and only read the plot summaries, and those after a while tend to blur together in one's mind.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mikl posted:

Most of the EU however is, by and large, terrible. See: bug orgies. (Which series was that anyways? Post 2000 I gave up and only read the plot summaries, and those after a while tend to blur together in one's mind.)

The Dark Nest Trilogy. And that's the last we should say on the whole damned subject.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I don't know. It's one line in one scene that's barely more than a minute long, and it's actually a pretty dramatic scene where Palpatine is in full Satan configuration, whispering into a good person's ear to manipulate them into toppling a government. And Terence Stamp does a good job of communicating how frustrated and impotent his character feels in being forced to say such a thing.

I mean, feel how you want to feel about it. But from my own experience, I know that literal children are capable of enthusiastically powering through that scene, so I find it odd that it reportedly induces involuntary narcoleptic reactions in so many grown adults. But Rebels is targeted even younger than the movies, so maybe they should have even more political scenes, given that that stuff's apparently more suited for kids.

Its a mixed bag thing for sure. In those cases, its meant to be a moment that demonstrates how the political system of the Republic has become one where blatant acts of transgression on other worlds will basically pass just because of red tape and an unwillingness to deal with them. At the same time, that's frustrating, annoying, and often seen as pointless in real life, so even if there is an intent and reason behind it, keeping that interesting enough for audiences to get through it becomes tricky. And well, Phantom Menace has a number of issues with execution as is (and I say that as someone who overall likes the film).

Clone Wars of course found a simple bypass in that the political manoeuvres going on, being charged by the tempo of the war, actually had the possibility of going somewhere, both to good and bad ends. Rebels being more on the frontier, with characters unrelated to the political centre (for now) does mean they can play more off the effects than the mechanisms of the machine, as it were. It'd be interesting to roughly chart their various policies, and their effects, on the outer rim.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Mikl posted:

You should read the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn, it's really good.
No, don't. Here's a shorthand of the main features of the Thrawn trilogy: silly vowel-clones of everyone everywhere, Force-resistant lizards and a blue-skinned Mary Sue Sherlock wannabe.

Even to my teenage brain, there was nothing that said 'wasn't paying attention to the source material' like Force-resistant lizards.

Really, avoid the old EU. Let the new creators separate the wheat from the chaff.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

meristem posted:

No, don't. Here's a shorthand of the main features of the Thrawn trilogy: silly vowel-clones of everyone everywhere, Force-resistant lizards and a blue-skinned Mary Sue Sherlock wannabe.

Even to my teenage brain, there was nothing that said 'wasn't paying attention to the source material' like Force-resistant lizards.

Counterpoints (including spoilers): in the three books the "silly vowel-clones of everyone everywhere" are a grand total of two, of which only one has any plot significance whatsoever; Force-resistance had already been established as A Thing in Episode VI with Jabba; and the Mary Sue is so perfect he gets defeated several times and eventually shanked in the back because he makes several critical miscalculations.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

thelaughingman posted:

My eyes can not roll far enough back into my skull to adequately convey my reaction to this. What a waste of time, effort, and energy.

TL posted:

The neat thing about fictional worlds is you, as a reader/viewer/whatever, have the option to pick and choose what you choose to believe is "canon". Just because Disney is saying it's not part of the new canon shouldn't make it any more or less valid in your point of view.

This, exactly.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Exactly, yes, but why can't those simpletons get it?

I read the Zahn trilogy, I enjoyed it. But I KNEW it was not "canon", but more of, a what if story as it was not a direct LucasFilm production. It was just licensed material in the fandom I was interested in at the time.

The best part of it all, all of these people that are saying their childhoods raped, and boycotting all this stuff will be in line, opening night, stinking of 7 days of no showers as they waited in line for tickets will......be paying to see it all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The books and comics and games still existed and I still enjoyed the good ones. It isn't as if JJ and Co are lining nerds up and forcibly erasing your memories and knowledge of these things.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
No, but that is EXACTLY how they are acting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrBigglesworth posted:

No, but that is EXACTLY how they are acting.

Right, which is just baffling to me. Getting new Star Wars movies at all should be celebrated in the streets. I'd pretty much given up on getting new movies (within my lifetime) after the prequels. And not just new movies, but a continuation of the OT? Holy poo poo. This is a thing that is actually happening ITYOOL 2015.

Nerds are never happy.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
When I first heard of Episode VII I said, check the source, make sure it isn't something Onion-y or hoaxy. About 10 minutes later, it was all over with multiple confirmed sources.

I thought the same, holy poo poo, OT continuation with original characters and actors. I think Ill go to see it before I take a raging dump on it's carcass.

I enjoyed both JJTreks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Seconding what everybody is saying about VII. I'm absolutely thrilled that the entirety of the EU was destroyed in one fell Disney swoop. 95% of the EU was white hot garbage.

Also, this means Chewy isn't destined to suffer one the most grandiose deaths of all-time.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

I wonder why they decided to make the neck of the command tower so much taller? None of the other proportions of the ship seem to be exaggerated by the overall animation style, so why that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ABC airing confirmed with James Earl Jones Darth Vader :woop:

http://www.starwars.com/news/abc-to-air-star-wars-rebels-spark-of-rebellion-with-a-new-scene-featuring-darth-vader?linkId=9943699

• Locked thread