Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tommychu posted:

Stomach acid tends to do interesting things to fibrous materials, and the smell tends to stick around after washing.

Baking soda in the washer. Gets it right out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Rancid deli meats chat - still feeling like death. Stepped on the scale a little while ago and found out I've lost close to 15 pounds, in about a week. I needed to lose that weight, but I was hoping to lose through a healthier method. Gonna hit up the doctor in a bit.

You're still sick from that??? Yes, you need to go to the doctor!!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cat Terrist posted:

It might be Ebola.

I can't find a local channel that isn't running :siren: breaking news :siren: about ebola. Even when I went to get food earlier, several radio stations were all broadcasting the press conference.

I mean, I did want to see the news, but everyfuckingthing is either about oh poo poo ebola hide your kids hide your wife hide yourself, or sports. They didn't give it this much coverage when the first guy had it, and his death this morning was basically a tiny blip on the news.. but now that a first responder might have it everyone is completely losing their poo poo.

It probably is ebola in my case. BRB going to Viggens to share.

CharlesM posted:

You're still sick from that??? Yes, you need to go to the doctor!!

Honestly I'm pretty sure it's something else, I felt a lot better for about a day ... (then I made the mistake of eating at work) (starting to feel better... I actually managed to eat today!)

It doesn't help that my insurance is a very restrictive HMO. There are exactly two urgent care clinics covered by my plan within 100 miles (neither are even in the same county that I live in). My normal doctor is on vacation for a couple more days. Only other option is ER. I'll take that option if I still feel like death tomorrow.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 8, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Patient 3 posted:

It probably is ebola in my case.

Sorry about the Ebola. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Patient 4 posted:

Sorry about the Ebola. :(

Thanks man. So your place or mine tonight?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

[quote="some texas redneckrtexrtsq
rtsrrtsq" post="435980992"]
Thanks man. So your place or mine tonight?
[/quote]

I thought we were partying at viggen's?

Edit: god dned power is out and I can't edit you name to Patient 3 for the life of me. :(

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 8, 2014

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have the perfect movie

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Patient 5 posted:

I have the perfect movie

Just dont go licking dead bodies.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Patient 4 posted:

I thought we were partying at viggen's?

We are.... after the sexytimes end.

poo poo, that was a secret, wasn't it?

Also you're gonna have to drive, I've barely slept in the past few days.

Goober Peas posted:

I have the perfect movie

You should google "piercing blowout". :haw:

(been there done that)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hey all you Texas rednecks, are any of you in San Antonio? Is it a total shithole or pretty decent?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

poo poo, that was a secret, wasn't it?

Also you're gonna have to drive,

Wow, I didn't know you did bottom.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey all you Texas rednecks, are any of you in San Antonio? Is it a total shithole or pretty decent?

It's about a 45 min drive from Austin. Not much to do there but shop and watch bad sports teams. Doesn't seem too lovely when I visit, but I never stay for long. Why do you ask?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slip proof stairs posted:

It's about a 45 min drive from Austin. Not much to do there but shop and watch bad sports teams. Doesn't seem too lovely when I visit, but I never stay for long. Why do you ask?

:siren: MY WIFE :siren: found a pretty good job posting there and sent in an application. I'm wondering what life might be like if we moved there.

Edit: 45 minutes from Austin is cool, Austin is the only place in Texas I've visited. I liked it, although some Austinites seem to have the same really-annoyingly-into-their-city attitude you get in Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

:siren: MY WIFE :siren: found a pretty good job posting there and sent in an application. I'm wondering what life might be like if we moved there.

Incredibly hot. Beyond that, it's about like any other sprawling metro area. There's a Six Flags there.

As others mentioned, Austin isn't far at all, and IMO Austin is a lot more unique.

There's a lot of absolutely beautiful roads near Kerrville. Not really high speed roads, just "holy poo poo where did all these trees come from" roads.

meatpimp posted:

Wow, I didn't know you did bottom.

Only if you don't hold cans of energy drinks for size comparison while we make videos.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 9, 2014

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: 45 minutes from Austin is cool, Austin is the only place in Texas I've visited. I liked it, although some Austinites seem to have the same really-annoyingly-into-their-city attitude you get in Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle.

Actually, my bad, it's closer to 1.25 hours according to google maps. Still, super close by TX standards. Austin has a ton of hipsters (myself probably included,) but if you live in the burbs, you won't see much of it. I live within city limits, but it's such a small city that I'm not annoyed on a daily basis.

But more on topic, there are a lot of state parks out here if you like outdoorsy stuff. Great barbeque all over. Wine country is nearby, which can be fun if you're into the whole vineyard tour thing. There's a big waterpark just outside of SA called Schlitterbahn that's pretty popular. Cars don't really rust out here, which is nice. Summers are usually pretty hot (high 90's, low 100's,) and the winters are pretty mild (it may ice over once or twice, but rarely snows.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You should google "piercing blowout". :haw:

(been there done that)
Automotive Unsanitary: Burnouts Leave Skidmarks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo yes, the parks. Those, and the thunderstorms, are the best part of living here.

Dirt cheap to camp in the state parks, and a lot of them even have cabins (ranging from "a roof and 3 walls" to "air conditioning, power, and a fridge").

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

slip proof stairs posted:

\Wine country is nearby, which can be fun if you're into the whole vineyard tour thing.

As a born and raised New Englander, my wife and I were floored how much we liked Austin and the surrounding hill country. We were down there for a wedding and got stuck and extra few days because of Sandy, so we went into the hills and toured wineries and visited LBJ's ranch We were the youngest people there by 30 years, but I had a b-l-a-s-t. Good wine too. Pedernales winery was especially nice.

...Yes, I'm a big dork.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Holy poo poo yes, the parks. Those, and the thunderstorms, are the best part of living here.

Dirt cheap to camp in the state parks, and a lot of them even have cabins (ranging from "a roof and 3 walls" to "air conditioning, power, and a fridge").

That sounds nice, compared to California's perpetually-crowded and expensive parks.

I can deal with summers in the 90s/100s, that's what I get now.

It sounds like it's not the best city to go to, but I hate California enough that most anywhere would probably be an improvement.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

:glomp:

Dementia is one of the hardest things in the world to to watch, and it's one of the few things that truly scares the poo poo out of me. I can handle my body failing, but the thought of losing my mind just scares the hell out of me.

My grandfather on my dad's side died in his 50s from it (I was young enough that I have only a couple of memories of him); my grandmother on my mom's side lived until the day after her 93rd birthday. She was at the point that she could barely speak, and would start shouting Jingle Bells at random.

No poo poo. Cancer and dementia/Alzheimer's are my big fears. My maternal Grandmother has frontal-lobe dementia, and my wife's paternal grandmother is forgetting stuff. Not Alzheimer's, but her short-term is going. It hurts to watch. I've got one other remaining grandparent (paternal grandmother, and she's still going strong, thankfully), but this is my wife's last. Sucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Automotive Unsanitary: Burnouts Leave Skidmarks.

Leaf spring stabilizers yo!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

No poo poo. Cancer and dementia/Alzheimer's are my big fears. My maternal Grandmother has frontal-lobe dementia, and my wife's paternal grandmother is forgetting stuff. Not Alzheimer's, but her short-term is going. It hurts to watch. I've got one other remaining grandparent (paternal grandmother, and she's still going strong, thankfully), but this is my wife's last. Sucks.

My maternal grandmother is my last grandparent left alive. She has Alzheimer's... I think the death of my grandfather almost 20 years ago meant that she spent too much time doing the same thing every day, living alone in her house. At this point, she doesn't recognize her children sometimes; she's asked if her sons are her brothers, and wants to know where her mom and dad are. She spends part of her time mentally in the 1940s. If someone comes over to make her some food or help with things, she'll often go hide in the basement until they leave because she doesn't know what to do about the stranger in her house. She's a very stubborn woman and has always insisted on staying at the house, but at this point she's so bad that they're trying to get her into a facility that can take care of Alzheimer's patients. They already tried one, but in the first few days she hit a staffer and had to leave so we're hoping the other place will work out.

It's a really hard thing to see, because she basically doesn't know us any more and it's advanced to the point where her children can't really take care of her. Taking her to a nursing home type place will help her quality of life and might even lead to some improvements, but it doesn't feel good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

My grandmother that passed a couple of years ago was my last. :smith:

Supposedly it skips generations.. so I probably won't have to watch my parents go through it. Just myself. That kinda scares me.

My dad is about to break 70. I think his mother died in her 40s - she died almost a year before I was born, from cancer. His dad died, as mentioned, in his 50s. The good news is pops is still kicking rear end, taking names, and pissing people off by lighting up a cigarette after he kicks their rear end at tennis.

Dementia scares me far more than cancer. At least with cancer, your mind is (usually) intact, you're just stuck watching your body fall apart. With dementia, you have little to no idea that your brain moved out and left the do not disturb sign on the door.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My maternal grandmother is my last grandparent left alive. She has Alzheimer's... I think the death of my grandfather almost 20 years ago meant that she spent too much time doing the same thing every day, living alone in her house. At this point, she doesn't recognize her children sometimes

The last couple of years that my grandmother was alive, she frequently called me by my uncle's name, occasionally by an aunt's name. :stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

That sounds nice, compared to California's perpetually-crowded and expensive parks.

I can deal with summers in the 90s/100s, that's what I get now.

It sounds like it's not the best city to go to, but I hate California enough that most anywhere would probably be an improvement.

Be aware that in San Antonio, the humidity is like 300% all the time. It was actually pretty nice when I was there a few weeks ago. We drove a friend down from Dallas to help her boyfriend move, then did a quick tourist thing since my daughter hadn't seen the Alamo. Bought some trinkets at inflated prices to support the maintenance of the place.
And yes on the roads. We elected to take 281 rather than attempting to fight assholes traffic on I-35, and wow, that was a pleasant and scenic drive. Very little traffic, 75 MPH speed limit, and actual scenery. Parts were about as hilly as TX gets. Accidentally ended up on the Devil's Backbone, even, when we actually started back on I-35, and changed our minds when traffic pretty much stopped around San Marcos. The route back to 281 went over the Backbone. Nice views.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My grandmother that passed a couple of years ago was my last. :smith:

Supposedly it skips generations.. so I probably won't have to watch my parents go through it. Just myself. That kinda scares me.

My dad is about to break 70. I think his mother died in her 40s - she died almost a year before I was born, from cancer. His dad died, as mentioned, in his 50s. The good news is pops is still kicking rear end, taking names, and pissing people off by lighting up a cigarette after he kicks their rear end at tennis.

I'm the oldest grandchild on one side, and second-oldest on the other (by less than a month), child of the middle-ish child on both sides, so I had thew pleasure of knowing all four of my grandparents for 40+ years, and one set of great-grandparents for a decade or so. I'm grateful for that. The ones that have gone have died of basically being old. I feel fortunate in that respect as well.

quote:

Dementia scares me far more than cancer. At least with cancer, your mind is (usually) intact, you're just stuck watching your body fall apart. With dementia, you have little to no idea that your brain moved out and left the do not disturb sign on the door.

Agreed. Losing my mind scares me more than the big C, even.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Actually, that part about not knowing? Not true. That's part of the horror of dementia, you are actually a lot more aware of how much your mind is going than is commonly portrayed. It's all part of the cloud of confusion and anxiety you are enveloped in. And in amongst that is how the mind will flick from year to year so one day you think you are in 1965 and you are wondering why you are in a room with a body you don't remember with people you dont recognise and it's all like a nightmare but you cant wake up.... but there's also a part that knows you are not in 1965 and is struggling to get you back in the present and is screaming to come back.

I've said this before but after working with dementia patients.... I *wish* it was sit back and descend into a fog of forgetfulness. When you really understand what is going on, it is absolute pure nightmare fuel, because that is exactly what patients experience. You are confused, your brain is actively trying to gently caress you up and GG I'd rather have rear end cancer. I dont know any dememtia carers that dont support assisted suicide and for good reason, dementia is a hosed up way to go out.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Don't worry Viggen, were not going to put you in a home...

yet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pham Nuwen posted:

Used to live there, it isn't terrible. Worst bar scene I ever dealt with, though, tons of assholes just out of military training looking to start poo poo. If you cook, HEB's Central Market down on Broadway is the loving tits.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 9, 2014

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Used to live there, it isn't terrible. Worst bar scene I ever dealt with, though, tons of assholes just out of military training looking to start poo poo.

This is true. You will also want to avoid any bars in San Marcos, and about half the bars in Austin. Both because of college kids.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

MrChips posted:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My grandmother had dementia, she passed a couple years ago right after new years.

She would sometimes remember me and my father, but not my mom or sisters. My aunt on the other hand is 93? 94? And still as bitter and sarcastic as ever.

Studies have shown that exercising your brain can help prevent degenerative brain disorders, good thing I like logic puzzles so much.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mafoose posted:

Studies have shown that exercising your brain can help prevent degenerative brain disorders, good thing I like logic puzzles so much.

Just plain staying active, both mentally and physically helps. Those stories about people just declining at a horrible rate after they retire? True and it's because they stop being active. The body and brain were never designed to sit and veg out.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

MrChips posted:

yet.

Have you ever seen the ending of Ol' Yeller? Because homes aren't cheap and neither are Porsches, so... tough choices, huh?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm working from a small satellite office this week and the entire team is away for a full day meeting, so I have the whole thing to myself.

So far I've appointed myself acting director and send out a memo that eliminates any resemblance of dress code. I'm currently writing this post from The Executive Washroom and I'm wearing flip flops.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

Actually, that part about not knowing? Not true. That's part of the horror of dementia, you are actually a lot more aware of how much your mind is going than is commonly portrayed. It's all part of the cloud of confusion and anxiety you are enveloped in. And in amongst that is how the mind will flick from year to year so one day you think you are in 1965 and you are wondering why you are in a room with a body you don't remember with people you dont recognise and it's all like a nightmare but you cant wake up.... but there's also a part that knows you are not in 1965 and is struggling to get you back in the present and is screaming to come back.

I've said this before but after working with dementia patients.... I *wish* it was sit back and descend into a fog of forgetfulness. When you really understand what is going on, it is absolute pure nightmare fuel, because that is exactly what patients experience. You are confused, your brain is actively trying to gently caress you up and GG I'd rather have rear end cancer. I dont know any dememtia carers that dont support assisted suicide and for good reason, dementia is a hosed up way to go out.
2 of my grandparents had Alzheimers (and 1 other died early of cancer), so yeah, scary as hell. My grandmother lived in denial for years after getting the diagnosis until she got to far gone. She was a college educated Chemist in an era when women were supposed to be housewives, and she just couldn't comprehend it. She lived another 20 years. It was terrible to watch a strong, intellegent woman lose the ability to walk and even eat.
My grandfather (other side of the family) got the diagnosis and started a decline, but had the "luck" of getting sick after a few years and refused treatments.

This is why my mom, breast caner survivor gives all her money to Alzhiemer's research. Way more terrifying.

Cat Terrist posted:

Just plain staying active, both mentally and physically helps. Those stories about people just declining at a horrible rate after they retire? True and it's because they stop being active. The body and brain were never designed to sit and veg out.
Eh, my grandfather went to work (he was a professor at a university) until the dementia got so bad he'd get lost on the way home (he biked and was in a small enough town the police and fire departments knew him and where he lived, thank god).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The moment I am getting too far gone from dementia or alzheimers is the moment I tell my family I am sorry, but it is better if things end how they are and they don't have to financially support me turning into a vegetable living a nightmare. I would rather go out still mentally aware and leave everyone remembering how I was than put myself or anyone else through that horror for years.

Let's go skydiving one last time, you can keep the parachute. Bye now! :wave:

My paternal grandfather had dementia and alzheimers and it was absolutely horrible watching him disappear mentally. No way am I putting anyone else OR myself through that if I get that diagnosis.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

The moment I am getting too far gone from dementia or alzheimers is the moment I tell my family I am sorry, but it is better if things end how they are and they don't have to financially support me turning into a vegetable living a nightmare. I would rather go out still mentally aware and leave everyone remembering how I was than put myself or anyone else through that horror for years.

Let's go skydiving one last time, you can keep the parachute. Bye now! :wave:

My paternal grandfather had dementia and alzheimers and it was absolutely horrible watching him disappear mentally. No way am I putting anyone else OR myself through that if I get that diagnosis.

But suicide is illegal, you could go to jail. :ohdear:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Powershift posted:

But suicide is illegal, you could go to jail. :ohdear:

Ken would still be coherent enough to kill himself.

Which is more than I can say for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm down to one grandparent, my dad's parents died in the 70s (lung cancer and heart attack) and my maternal grandmother passed away this year, on my birthday, of throat cancer. She refused treatment when diagnosed, preferring to live out her remaining days as able-bodied as possible. Dementia had started to set in about when she was diagnosed with the cancer, so it was really a blessing to not have to watch her go through that for long.

My grandfather will probably be around forever, he's pickled himself with liquor and his family lives forever. His father (great-grandfather) passed away last week a few days after turning 99 and he was lucid and mobile 'til the day he died. His brother is 104 and still kicking.

Incidentally, my grandfather was the Director of Texas State Parks from the early '70s until sometime in the '80s, so you can partially thank him for all the lovely parks there.

• Locked thread