Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My laptop is overheating, and I can't afford a new one, nor can I afford to replace the fan. Could someone recommend me a cooling pad that worked for them when their laptop gave out? Something battery powered preferably, or rechargeable into a wall. Right now I'm using a desk fan pointed at the intake / exhaust area

E; I'm willing to spend upwards of $75 on a good fan, the computer guy who assumed I didn't know anything about computers said it would be 300 to fix the HP fan. Other guys are giving me similar numbers or are telling me outright to buy a new laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

My laptop is overheating, and I can't afford a new one, nor can I afford to replace the fan. Could someone recommend me a cooling pad that worked for them when their laptop gave out? Something battery powered preferably, or rechargeable into a wall. Right now I'm using a desk fan pointed at the intake / exhaust area

E; I'm willing to spend upwards of $75 on a good fan, the computer guy who assumed I didn't know anything about computers said it would be 300 to fix the HP fan. Other guys are giving me similar numbers or are telling me outright to buy a new laptop.

Uh, yeah, why don't you just tell us what model the laptop is? You will almost certainly pay less than $75 for a replacement fan or if necessary fan+heatsink assembly.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dv6-6135dx Hp Pavilion

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

Dv6-6135dx Hp Pavilion

Yeah you'll want this thing then, it's $22 http://www.amazon.com/dv6-6b19wm-dv6-6b21he-dv6-6b22he-dv6-6b26us-dv6-6b27nr/dp/B00FZMLP5M

And a little bit of thermal grease if you use the new heatsink part: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-STG1-Super-Thermal-Grease/dp/B000FZ1YSW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1412740977&sr=8-8&keywords=thermal+paste

Basically what you'll do is simply unscrew all the stuff in your laptop until you can get at the fan - for ease of putting things back together make sure to sort the screws as you take 'em out and take a pic on our cell phone at each step, that way you know where everything goes back in.

You should first try replacing just the fan with the fan from that first kit, and see if that fixes your problem - if that doesn't work then the overheating may be from the heatsink itself, at which point you'll remove the old one, put a thin layer of the thermal grease over the tops of the chips it went on, and then place the new heatsink on. This should take you under about an hour to do if all you needed was the fan (make sure to fully reassemble stuff before testing!) or like 2 hours if you really needed to replace the heatsink.

You might want to print out this service manual or have it up on a phone or other computer, it contains complete step-by-step guides from HP for disassembling the laptop and putting it back together: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf

Basically, you do this for like $35 total including shipping and you have a laptop that will work just fine again. Not worth it at all to try to fix it with a cooling pad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vegetable posted:

A bunch of my light bulbs don't work. Like, when you turn on the switch, only two out of three bulbs light up. Do broken bulbs still use electricity?

Why don't you just take out the dead bulbs anyway?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah you'll want this thing then, it's $22 http://www.amazon.com/dv6-6b19wm-dv6-6b21he-dv6-6b22he-dv6-6b26us-dv6-6b27nr/dp/B00FZMLP5M

And a little bit of thermal grease if you use the new heatsink part: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-STG1-Super-Thermal-Grease/dp/B000FZ1YSW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1412740977&sr=8-8&keywords=thermal+paste

Basically what you'll do is simply unscrew all the stuff in your laptop until you can get at the fan - for ease of putting things back together make sure to sort the screws as you take 'em out and take a pic on our cell phone at each step, that way you know where everything goes back in.

You should first try replacing just the fan with the fan from that first kit, and see if that fixes your problem - if that doesn't work then the overheating may be from the heatsink itself, at which point you'll remove the old one, put a thin layer of the thermal grease over the tops of the chips it went on, and then place the new heatsink on. This should take you under about an hour to do if all you needed was the fan (make sure to fully reassemble stuff before testing!) or like 2 hours if you really needed to replace the heatsink.

You might want to print out this service manual or have it up on a phone or other computer, it contains complete step-by-step guides from HP for disassembling the laptop and putting it back together: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf

Basically, you do this for like $35 total including shipping and you have a laptop that will work just fine again. Not worth it at all to try to fix it with a cooling pad.

Yup, exactly what fishmech here said. I've brought many an overheating laptop back from the brink just by replacing the awful dried-out thermal grease with new stuff and blowing the dust out of the airflow channels. 90% of the time a new fan isn't even necessary.

Just take your time when disassembling it, make notes and drawings of what came out of where, keep all the different-sized screws separate, maybe even take a photo of every step so you have something to refer to when putting it all back together.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got some weird nerve issue stuff going on that makes it hard to steady my hands, would you still recommend taking it apart myself, I read over the service manual and I would have to take apart the whole entire system to get to the fans.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If you haven't before, you might want to take canned air and blow dust out of the various vents in the machine. It's not a perfect solution but if you've never cleaned it out before you probably have a lot of dust clogging up the airways.

It's not super hard to disassemble and reassemble a laptop but it depends on how well you can work with small parts. Putting a screwdriver in a hole in the plastic probably wouldn't be too hard, but some of the tiny cables might be an issue. Depends on how much you need to dig into specifically to replace the fans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Turtlicious posted:

I've got some weird nerve issue stuff going on that makes it hard to steady my hands, would you still recommend taking it apart myself, I read over the service manual and I would have to take apart the whole entire system to get to the fans.

It depends on how badly your hands shake. Can you handle something like the fiddly little screws in a pair of glasses? Because laptops are basically made of fiddly little screws, plus a few fiddly little flat-cable connectors and some fiddly little press-fit bits.

If you don't think you can handle this yourself, impose on a friend. Do you happen to have one who works in IT, or even programming? Chances are they've done something like this before. Find out their favorite beer and bring over a 12-pack with the laptop. (24-pack if they have cheap taste.)

In any case, one of those external cooler mats is a terrible solution that won't work for long, if at all. The part that needs cooling is way on the inside, and the mat can only act on the outer casing. Depending on what's wrong, to fix this laptop you'll need some combination of the following: cleaning the dust out of the air channels, a new fan that blows better, or new thermal grease to replace the horrible old dried-out stuff. Period.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It may be a long shot, but is there a search plug-in for Chrome that allows for Boolean logic?

Really, "or" is the only thing I need. Sometimes, I want to be able to search a page for two or three words (I'm not looking to see if a page has all the words, but any one of the two or three...so for instance, I want to know if anywhere on the page the word 'butts' OR 'asses' is mentioned.)

It'd be easier to just type them in at once and hit 'find' then have to retype every one, especially since if I go to another page or site and want to search for those again, they all get typed in again. So obviously being able to "save" the last searched for term (like any good Ctrl+F function,) is also necessary.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrBouvenstein posted:

It may be a long shot, but is there a search plug-in for Chrome that allows for Boolean logic?

Really, "or" is the only thing I need. Sometimes, I want to be able to search a page for two or three words (I'm not looking to see if a page has all the words, but any one of the two or three...so for instance, I want to know if anywhere on the page the word 'butts' OR 'asses' is mentioned.)

It'd be easier to just type them in at once and hit 'find' then have to retype every one, especially since if I go to another page or site and want to search for those again, they all get typed in again. So obviously being able to "save" the last searched for term (like any good Ctrl+F function,) is also necessary.

Try this, maybe?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/regex-search/bcdabfmndggphffkchfdcekcokmbnkjl?hl=en

It's done using Regex which is a total pain in the rear end but it'll do the trick.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In a couple of old Looney Tunes episodes, I recall Daffy asking if anyone wants to play tennis, and then getting shot/blown up/doused with water.

I just don't get what this is in reference to. What is it about tennis that makes him deserve to get shot?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

In a couple of old Looney Tunes episodes, I recall Daffy asking if anyone wants to play tennis, and then getting shot/blown up/doused with water.

I just don't get what this is in reference to. What is it about tennis that makes him deserve to get shot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_Fire#Plot

edit, i should maybe add that the phrase 'anyone for tennis' is probably the phrase daffy used and is a very old joke about upper class society or something.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 8, 2014

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My credit card exchanged 1 GBP to 1.59 CHF, and on the same day XE.com shows 1 = 1.54

Are they taking the piss or is this normal?

This was for almost £3000 so that's about 150 CHF difference and then they charged another 70 CHF on top of that. They do a bunch of nickel-and-dime bullshit already, I'm just wondering if this is the usual cost of doing business for this kind of thing.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I somehow got a pretty large stain right on the rear end of a new pair of pants I just bought, I'm not entirely sure what it is but it wasn't there before going out and was there when I came back home. I assume it's bleach though because it's whitish.

Anyways, I tried washing the pants twice immediately, the stain got a tiny bit smaller, and then took them to be dry cleaned and told them to see what they could do about the stain. Again, it is slightly smaller. But not small enough that I'd wear them again. What else can I do? They're very nice pants that I really like and were pretty pricy (for me). Help!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Conversion fees for paying in a different currency are definitely a thing. No idea how bad yours was, I think my card adds 2%.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

greazeball posted:

My credit card exchanged 1 GBP to 1.59 CHF, and on the same day XE.com shows 1 = 1.54

Are they taking the piss or is this normal?

This was for almost £3000 so that's about 150 CHF difference and then they charged another 70 CHF on top of that. They do a bunch of nickel-and-dime bullshit already, I'm just wondering if this is the usual cost of doing business for this kind of thing.

Every bank/forex desk has their own exchange rates that they apply , so the rates on XE.com is an indication and not hard rules. Also exchange rates can change in minutes if not second depending on what the world markets are doing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

yoohoo posted:

I somehow got a pretty large stain right on the rear end of a new pair of pants I just bought, I'm not entirely sure what it is but it wasn't there before going out and was there when I came back home. I assume it's bleach though because it's whitish.

Anyways, I tried washing the pants twice immediately, the stain got a tiny bit smaller, and then took them to be dry cleaned and told them to see what they could do about the stain. Again, it is slightly smaller. But not small enough that I'd wear them again. What else can I do? They're very nice pants that I really like and were pretty pricy (for me). Help!

My understanding is that a bleach stain is semi-permanent. Bleach removes the color, so the only way to fix it is to add the color back. Try looking in clothing or craft stores for dyes, I guess?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yeah, if it's bleached, it's bleached. The stain wouldn't be getting smaller when you wash it if it was bleached. I can't really tell you what it is, but it's a stain of some sort and not bleach if it's going away at all.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I searched both the Musician's Lounge and the Careers subforums and was unable to find any kind of thread that talks about careers in music (producing, composing or performing). Does this discussion not exist on SA or am I just horrible at searching?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

OK, here's a dumb question that I'm not quite sure how to put into words. But, is potential energy "real"? Where is it stored? Chemical energy, like in a rechargeable battery, you can easily show how and where it is stored. Same for energy in the form of heat. But lifting a brick onto a 1 meter high table, it has some amount more potential energy than if it were sitting on the floor, right? But how can we measure that, where is it stored?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

OK, here's a dumb question that I'm not quite sure how to put into words. But, is potential energy "real"? Where is it stored? Chemical energy, like in a rechargeable battery, you can easily show how and where it is stored. Same for energy in the form of heat. But lifting a brick onto a 1 meter high table, it has some amount more potential energy than if it were sitting on the floor, right? But how can we measure that, where is it stored?

You can really only measure energy when it is used to do some kind of work. Essentially, potential energy is just that; potential. There is some amount of energy stored there that has the potential to do some work.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Lawnie posted:

You can really only measure energy when it is used to do some kind of work. Essentially, potential energy is just that; potential. There is some amount of energy stored there that has the potential to do some work.

Put a scale underneath the object, it's then performing work indicated as weight on the scale

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Eh, his question lies more in the transference of energy.

Okay, so obviously, energy was expended lifting that brick to a certain height in the air, combating the force of gravity. That's your energy potential. The expended energy used lifting that brick against the force of gravity is contained as potential energy in the mass of the brick, to be released when it's allowed to fall to the ground. Does that make any sense? You're right, it's hard to explain.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

terre packet posted:

I searched both the Musician's Lounge and the Careers subforums and was unable to find any kind of thread that talks about careers in music (producing, composing or performing). Does this discussion not exist on SA or am I just horrible at searching?
Try in the Creative Convention. I'm not sure if they have any music specific threads, but it's a broad subforum.

DELETED posted:

Put a scale underneath the object, it's then performing work indicated as weight on the scale

A brick on a scale would be exerting a force, but wouldn't be doing work: Work is expressed over a distance which can make it awkward to deal with. Technically work has been done by the brick while in the act of being placed, which is recorded by the scale, but once it's at rest then no work is being done.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 9, 2014

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

For the record, your chemical energy is chemical potential energy. Potential energy is the energy that an object would give up if given the chance. The charges in the battery would rejoin rather than being separated, a spring would compress after being stretched (or vice versa), and the book you mentioned would fall through the table. You can just as easily point to the stretched spring or the book not on the floor to demonstrate potential energy.

There are a few ways of measuring potential energy. We could calculate it based on the system (we know we lifted a book this massive, this far off the ground), we could measure the amount of energy we put in, or we could measure the energy we get out returning the object to a lower-energy state.

(I don't have a good answer for where it's stored. That seems like a metaphysics question rather than a physics one.)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Instead of imagining potential energy as inherently stored in the object, imagine it being stored in the mass in relation to the gravitational field. They are inherently linked; you can't have potential energy without a gravitational field in which the object rests. So the energy is real, but it is not 'just' in the object.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Question for swingers:
Okay so, you're a married couple, you're swinging with another married couple things are good but *uh oh* the husband of the other couple just got you (or your wife) pregnant.
Assuming you want to keep the baby, how the heck do you handle that?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Applewhite posted:

Question for swingers:
Okay so, you're a married couple, you're swinging with another married couple things are good but *uh oh* the husband of the other couple just got you (or your wife) pregnant.

You use contraceptives so the issue never comes up.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PriorMarcus posted:

You use contraceptives so the issue never comes up.

Nominally, yes, but contraceptives are not 100% effective.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Applewhite posted:

Nominally, yes, but contraceptives are not 100% effective.

OK, I'll be the guy to take the bait and assume you are asking a real question and not just trolling (woe unto me).

They would sit down like adults and discuss what to do, whether that involves keeping the child, giving it up for adoption or having an abortion is up to (in this case) all 4 people involved.

This gets a little stickier if they want to keep the kid, and assuming that everyone doesn't become some weird polygamist thing and all live together. But at that point it becomes a legal battle over custody and support and not something I would touch.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

OK, I'll be the guy to take the bait and assume you are asking a real question and not just trolling (woe unto me).

They would sit down like adults and discuss what to do, whether that involves keeping the child, giving it up for adoption or having an abortion is up to (in this case) all 4 people involved.

This gets a little stickier if they want to keep the kid, and assuming that everyone doesn't become some weird polygamist thing and all live together. But at that point it becomes a legal battle over custody and support and not something I would touch.

Thanks. I was actually being honest (if I were trolling or looking for joke answers I'd have taken this up to GBS).
I figured the answer was something like this, but wasn't sure if the "swinger community" had anything like "best practices" for dealing with this sort of thing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Question for swingers:
What probably happens is the pregnant woman and her husband ask the other dude to sign away his parental rights in exchange for waiving any claims to support. Legally speaking, the pregnant woman's husband may not even need to legally adopt the kid, since it will be assumed to be his kid in most places, but if he does need to do it, then he will do that, as well.

If the other dude wants parental rights? Then either they come to some form of agreement, or everyone ends up hiring lawyers.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Why did Los Angeles become so big and not San Diego, which has a better climate and harbor? What factors caused LA to get more people and growth? Is it simply because of the size of the LA basin? Was it oil? Am I overstating the utility of SD bay for shipping, because while awesome it's not nearly as big as the land available to the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Golbez posted:

Why did Los Angeles become so big and not San Diego, which has a better climate and harbor? What factors caused LA to get more people and growth? Is it simply because of the size of the LA basin? Was it oil? Am I overstating the utility of SD bay for shipping, because while awesome it's not nearly as big as the land available to the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach?

The political map thread in dnd is pretty great for this kind of questions, there was a discussion about city growth a couple of days ago

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Golbez posted:

Hollywood.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Applewhite posted:

Hollywood.

But why did the early movie producers pick LA?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Where is the Halloween costume thread on SA this year? Since the change to the new GBS, it's impossible to find anything worth while on there.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Golbez posted:

But why did the early movie producers pick LA?

Because it wasn't as good as San Diego, meaning they could work and live there on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I am going to steal this guy's idea for a Halloween costume.

I already bought the hat off Amazon and have running shoes. However cold weather does not exist where I live so I have to find some kind of long bright blue underoos online (preferably tight and sheer like the pic above for comedy value). Any ideas on where to purchase them?