Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I want to see someone turn up using the Sword Skygrasper :allears:.

If they did it would be something crazy like Skygrasper Full package with Aile's backpack, Sword strikes grappling hook and sword and Launchers cannon all stacked together and armored with phase shift.

I'm going to wait till four episodes in before I place my judgment on the characters. I am however stoked at the smörgåsbord of gunpla kit references. Can't wait to see what other crazy kits they come up with. I hope we get one that combines like voltron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Goddamn it, I really regret mentioning that I thought Fumina was a cool character because all anyone wants to do in the Gundam threads is have heated arguments on how misogynistic Gundam is.

Also we're only one episode in, for gently caress's sakes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Still waitin for a Neo Zeong bossfight.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Literally The Worst posted:

1/48th scale scratch-built Neo Zeong. :getin:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Goddamn it, I really regret mentioning that I thought Fumina was a cool character because all anyone wants to do in the Gundam threads is have heated arguments on how misogynistic Gundam is.

It's cool, I think Fumina is rad too, and it's fine with me if her story arc is that she starts out not particularly great at any one aspect of gunpla but grows from there. After all, passion and love for gunpla is what matters most in gunpla battles (so buy all our merch, kids)!

I wonder if it might end up being that one of her weaknesses is being too straightforward. The GM cardigan didn't look like it had any particular tricks, and would have to rely on being in good condition, build quality, and Fumina herself, when every other gunpla has some trump card. Eventually switching to the transforming (if I remember right) SD winning gundam could maybe be her edge.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The boss is the battle environment itself! :science:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Gammatron 64 posted:

No one did that though? All that one dude said was they're starting to do the thing where the lady pilot gets chumped quick to make the protagonist look cool, which they pretty much did.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Literally The Worst posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Watch, it still somehow jobs harder than a horde of Leos against a Main Character-piloted MS. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

The GIG posted:

No one did that though? All that one dude said was they're starting to do the thing where the lady pilot gets chumped quick to make the protagonist look cool, which they pretty much did.

No, he said that she wasn't going to do anything of worth in the entire series, based on the fact that she lost a fight so that the Sekai could look cool.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I still want to see someone clean house with a lovingly built, almost-stock Leo. To this day, it's always been my favourite grunt MS.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The GIG posted:

Yeah, they did do that. You might not have read it that way but a bunch of other people certainly did.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm glad that FIELD  2  :  DESSERT is still around.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I'm not. It makes me hungry for ice cream. Every. loving. Time.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

I hope no one ever tells them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

No, he said that she wasn't going to do anything of worth in the entire series, based on the fact that she lost a fight so that the Sekai could look cool.

Boy, it isn't like there was a long ongoing trend of female characters in anime losing fights so male characters look cool but never getting a cool moment of their own. It is truly unbelievable that someone could hold the opinion of this happening, especially in the sequel to a show where they introduced a female character's upgraded mecha and destroyed it in under a minute of screentime so a bunch of other male characters could protect her and show off their cool mecha instead. (Despite this making no sense at all within the confines of the setting.)

This isn't even a particularly out-of-the-blue concern. Shows ranging from Danball Senki to stuff like Naruto do the 'two cool male leads, one useless female lead" stuff on a regular basis and BF has shown itself to be a fun show but not one that will buck that trend in any way.

Edit: I want to be surprised. I'd like to be surprised. I just remember that I argued in the last thread that the Miss Sazabi meant that Aila had to do something because they wouldn't introduce a new mecha like that for no reason and I was pretty drat wrong then.

Sharkopath posted:

I smile every time that field comes up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 9, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I have a great memory of my entire club bursting out laughing as soon as they heard that when we all watched episode 1 of BF together. :allears:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
This is going to be super dumb, but the Season 2 Talking Arena isn't quite as good as Season 1's. :colbert:

It's literally my only complaint as far as Season 2 goes so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

This is going to be super dumb, but the Season 2 Talking Arena isn't quite as good as Season 1's. :colbert:

I felt the same way actually. I liked the old voice more. :smith:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

You know, thinking about it, you'd think Caro would've forced her way into being the voice for all the fields, what with being (by association) responsible for bringing back Plavsky particles.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bloody Pom posted:

I still want to see someone clean house with a lovingly built, almost-stock Leo. To this day, it's always been my favourite grunt MS.

I love the look of the OZ suits. Too bad they're a complete joke in fiction. Then again I just tend to like grunt suits better period.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nah, new voice just sounds so excited about Gunpla Battles, I can't not love it

EDIT: ^ I thought the Taurus and the one that came after it with the shield things were incredibly effective though?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

A friend identified the thing on the left as a Zoloat. That's all the cameos!

Well, except all these battleships at the beginning but ahahaha gently caress that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

EDIT: ^ I thought the Taurus and the one that came after it with the shield things were incredibly effective though?

The Taurus is a really good suit but isn't really 'really effective' in-series.

The Virgo was a complete shitwrecker though.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ninjewtsu posted:

I will say I did enjoy the new voice going GUNPLA  BATTLE  COMBAT  MODE,  START  IT  UP at the beginning. The rest is ehhh.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I liked the Wing grunt suits less as they got upgraded, I'm not a huge fan of the Virgo but I adore the poo poo out of the Leo and Aries. I think my second favorite Gunpla Announcerman voice clip after FIELD 2: DESSERT is FIELD 3: SPEEEEEEEEHCE.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The new gunpla system voice reminds me of "GOOD LUCK!" from Tiger and Bunny.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Huh. I could have sworn the Tauruses got to be badass too.

Personally, I'd love to see a dude wreck shop with a Leo during a space battle. Do what Zechs did in the first episode of Wing by fighting (and arguably winning against) an MC while in free fall in a god drat Leo

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Boy, it isn't like there was a long ongoing trend of female characters in anime losing fights so male characters look cool but never getting a cool moment of their own. It is truly unbelievable that someone could hold the opinion of this happening, especially in the sequel to a show where they introduced a female character's upgraded mecha and destroyed it in under a minute of screentime so a bunch of other male characters could protect her and show off their cool mecha instead. (Despite this making no sense at all within the confines of the setting.)

This isn't even a particularly out-of-the-blue concern. Shows ranging from Danball Senki to stuff like Naruto do the 'two cool male leads, one useless female lead" stuff on a regular basis and BF has shown itself to be a fun show but not one that will buck that trend in any way.

Guy, you straight up defended a female character in the G-Reco thread who had the following accomplishments:

-Losing a fight, in a Gundam, against trainees in grunts. Admittedly her machine seems to have hosed up at the end/during the fight.
-Crying about losing said fight
-Being rescued by the main lead
-Failing to jump onto a gundam

And now here you are declaring that the empowered, interesting female lead of a series is going to be worthless in combat based on her losing one fight against an opponent with a psychological advantage who may or may not actually be all that good of a fighter.

Do you just like to complain and be contrary?

Even poo poo like the line I bolded above show how absolutely disingenuous or simply wrong you are being about this whole thing:

- Alia's new machine was introduced at 4:33. It wasn't wrecked until the midpoint of the episode so unless you mean "It only got a minute of screentime" you're just flat out wrong.
- If you are complaining about it not getting a lot of combat time, then maybe you should go back and actually watch the episode. Felini in his brand new Wing Gundam gets about 10-12 seconds of focus time in the entire thing, which is roughly the same amount Aila gets in combat and quite a bit less if you count the time spent inside before getting exploded, though more than China.
- Alia and China take the bullet for Sei and Reiji, making them actually far more useful than most of the rest of the supporting cast.
- Yes, everyone being worried about protecting their damaged gunpla was stupid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I imagine the way things are going to pan out is that Fumina will be the tactician (most creative tactics and suit design, most experienced Gunpla fighter), Yuuma will be the engineer (awards for artistic excellence, strategy consists of standing still and shooting at people), and Sekai will be the face-breaker. Arc will consist of each teaching the others their particular skills, so Sekai polishes up his teammates' brawling skills, Yuuma will teach the others about build quality and maintenance (letting Fumina actually make her imagination work for her and letting Sekai, the Gunpla rookie, learn how to get the most from his monstrously powerful suit), and Fumina helps the boys learn to use their brains for once.

I realise I'm operating off limited information here, but that seems to make sense. Unfortunately, it does provide a route for the show to make Fumina an important character whilst indulging in Gundam's sexist bad habits - the team strategist doesn't have to do so much cool physical stuff to contribute in a fight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Winning Gundam is supposedly based around speed, so maybe she could potentially play a role like being in both teammates' fights at once.

ninjewtsu posted:

Huh. I could have sworn the Tauruses got to be badass too.

Personally, I'd love to see a dude wreck shop with a Leo during a space battle. Do what Zechs did in the first episode of Wing by fighting (and arguably winning against) an MC while in free fall in a god drat Leo

You might be thinking of the mobile dolls, which wrecked the gently caress out of normal human pilots in equivalent suits (or maybe they were in leos). I think that was actually the first introduction of the tauruses, if I remember right.

Caros posted:

Guy, you straight up defended a female character in the G-Reco thread who had the following accomplishments:

-Losing a fight, in a Gundam, against trainees in grunts. Admittedly her machine seems to have hosed up at the end/during the fight.
-Crying about losing said fight
-Being rescued by the main lead
-Failing to jump onto a gundam

And now here you are declaring that the empowered, interesting female lead of a series is going to be worthless in combat based on her losing one fight against an opponent with a psychological advantage who may or may not actually be all that good of a fighter.

Even poo poo like the line I bolded above show how absolutely disingenuous or simply wrong you are being about this whole thing:

- Alia's new machine was introduced at 4:33. It wasn't wrecked until the midpoint of the episode so unless you mean "It only got a minute of screentime" you're just flat out wrong.
- If you are complaining about it not getting a lot of combat time, then maybe you should go back and actually watch the episode. Felini in his brand new Wing Gundam gets about 10-12 seconds of focus time in the entire thing, which is roughly the same amount Aila gets in combat and quite a bit less if you count the time spent inside before getting exploded, though more than China.
- Alia and China take the bullet for Sei and Reiji, making them actually far more useful than most of the rest of the supporting cast.

Drop it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 9, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nah Tauruses got shown off way before mobile dolls were even a thing. I had a VHS tape of the first 5 episodes as a kid (that I watched over and over and over, and never got to see any more of until a couple years ago) and they showed up for a scene. They might've never been piloted until the mobile dolls came around though, that scene was about showing off the fancy new prototypes or something

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sharkopath posted:

The school battle system seemed to be using the old season one computer voice so maybe despite the Yajima branding they never bothered to patch that part of the OS when they upgraded it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they'd go deeper and make the announcements references to specific places (yes I know the actual areans are usually cribbed from Gundam locations but I'd like the announcers to acknowledge it."

"Field 27: Axis"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Caros posted:

:wow:

Caros
May 14, 2008

No?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

It is almost like things have context instead of being ALL GOOD or ALL BAD.

I 'defended' Aida in that I said that her crying wasn't inherently a misogynistic thing and that she didn't lose the fight because she was inept, she lost it because her robot malfunctioned. I also criticized other elements of the show. (Including calling Monday a terrible character so far.) It's possible to both enjoy something and dislike elements of it or think they're handled poorly.

Caros posted:

You're counting the entire running time of the episode as screentime which is dumb. She had exactly once combat scene (during the montage) and then the scene of them flying into the cannon and pushing Sei and Reiji out of the way. Counting all of that as Miss Sazabi screentime is straight-up disingenuous.

Felini's new Gundam got to show off in a previous episode. Also it didn't get blown up.

You're seriously arguing that girlfriends jumping in front of a laser to die for a male character is being "more useful." Just think about that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 9, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I like it when the toy punched the other toy. That was cool.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

everythingWasBees posted:

Yeah. It made me want to build my own toys after.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I liked it too, it made me want to buy one of the toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yosuke posted:

Yeah. It made me want to build my own toys after.

I have all mine boxed up until the move. :(
I do really need more space, though, and also some sandpaper...

• Locked thread