Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Finally received Issue 6 in the mail and holy moley, gotta echo the unsettling feeling of the issue. I thought it was gonna be a crazy trip through the netherrealm or something but I was totally thrown for a loop with the whole real world/things aren't exactly as they seem. I'm super excited to see how all this plays out and if the rise of Cthulu is going to come into play with the zombie apocalypse and Archie's gang. Gotta repeat Argue and say things escalated BIG TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeronos
Aug 2, 2014
Read what's out so far of Afterlife the other day, really loving it. Best horror comic I've read in a long, long time, and Francavilla's art is top loving notch. Looking forward to the new Sabrina series from that preview, it looks so wonderfully unsettling.

Hype as hell to move on with the Mega Man 3 plot over on the Blue Bomber's end of things. I'm liking Dawn of X well enough, but I'm not really here for it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I downloaded the new Archie App, they have 100 free issues for a limited time, which ones are worth reading for someone going in pretty much blind having read nothing from this publisher that I know of other than Afterlife #1.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Welp, Sonic & Mega Man 2: Electric Boogaloo is confirmed.

Although really now that Smash Bros 4 is out, we no longer need comics for our Sonic/Mega Man fighting needs :v:.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 came out today; I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't call it a horror comic. When the main character is a witch, you're kind of primed for supernatural stuff happening--Sacasa compares it to Rosemary's Baby, and I'd say that it's more like what you imagine happens after the end of Rosemary's Baby. In any case, I thought it was solid enough that I'd read more.

Trivia! The being that appears at the end of the comic is Madam Satan, a horror character that Archie comics published back when they were still called MLJ comics, and before Archie even existed. As far as I know, this is her first appearance since MLJ became Archie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Archie Meets Predator coming this spring.

I... what? :stare:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Well, that... is certainly a thing that is happening. :stare:

But if that's the art style they're going for, it's probably going to be more along the lines of Archie Meets the Punisher rather than Afterlife With Archie or even Life With Archie--cute in concept, but very vanilla and safe for the kids.

Edit: De Campi just replied to my tweet asking if it was serious like Afterlife or safe for kids like Archie/Punisher:

quote:

neither. It's not safe for kids in any way. It's extremely wrong, but not as serious as Afterlife.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The big question is when the guest appearance by the Aliens is going to happen so they can fight over which one can breed with Archie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 came out today; I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't call it a horror comic. When the main character is a witch, you're kind of primed for supernatural stuff happening--Sacasa compares it to Rosemary's Baby, and I'd say that it's more like what you imagine happens after the end of Rosemary's Baby. In any case, I thought it was solid enough that I'd read more.

Trivia! The being that appears at the end of the comic is Madam Satan, a horror character that Archie comics published back when they were still called MLJ comics, and before Archie even existed. As far as I know, this is her first appearance since MLJ became Archie.

Someone in the chat thread pointed out that pretty much only Betty and Veronica do anything too out of character for a regular Archie book, and even then their motivations are the same as always. The central 'Sabrina uses her magic to make a boy like her' could've come straight from the comics or cartoons or the Melissa Joan Hart version, it's just that instead of a heartwarming moral, this book makes it clear that this is REALLY not okay.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Afterlife With Archie is finally back after a long hiatus--it seems they ran into problems with scheduling, with Sacasa writing a TV pilot and Francavilla being in some kind of accident (:ohdear:), but they said they should be fine now.

Minor spoilers below! Issue 7 focused a lot more on the characters than on the zombie problems this time around, which is quite welcome. It also tossed in a bunch of references, and I figured I'd list them down here since I'm probably the only person in the world who'd even notice several of them:

1. Betty's Diary - Most of the narration in the series thus far has been from the perspective of various characters, but Betty's Diary is the first one to have actually had its own title in the past. The format was pretty much the same--stuff happens, and we see corresponding narration from Betty's diary.

2. Polly - Yep, Betty has a sister. Prior to the birth of Forsythia "Jellybean" Jones, she was the only one of the gang who had any siblings. I'm not sure when she debuted, but I believe she was in Betty's Diary a bunch. In the main comics, she's friendly with Betty, was not Veronica-like at all, and has a job as a reporter in San Francisco. Betty also has a brother; I'll save that for when (if) he shows up.

3. Sabrina - It's a bit odd; we learn here that everyone knows she's a witch. Traditionally, she's always kept her abilities secret from everyone, until recently, when she told Jughead her secret so that she could help him lift a curse. I thought Jughead running to Sabrina was a reference to the fact that only he knew her secret, but I guess not. More recently, some Archie stories have had everyone knowing her secret, but never explaining how the rest of them found out.

4. Nick - Not sure on this, but Nick could be a reference to Nick St. Clair, the titular "Bad News Boyfriend" in the Archie novel of the same name. He was a terrible person that Veronica fell for, and the gang eventually decided to break the two of them up by exposing him as a cheat (Betty played sacrificial lamb by letting him make moves on her). Polly wasn't even in that book, but since Polly here is compared with Veronica, it could be him.

5. Josie and the Pussycats - Probably doesn't need explanation, but I thought I'd throw in that Sacasa said we'd be seeing them down the road. Possible avenues that could go--they could know each other because Archie had a band too, or they could play up Archie's recent romance with Valerie (that made big news because Archie Comics used to be incredibly conservative and now suddenly they were pairing off their most prominent white guy with their very first black female).

6. Cheryl/Blaze - Well, wow, this is an obscure reference. Back in the 90s, Archie had a short-lived series called Explorers of the Unknown, which cast the Archie characters (Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Reggie, Moose, Dilton, Chuck) in an alternate universe as a team of Indiana Jones-types who went on pulp adventures. Each of the gang kept their last name, but had codenames instead of first names. Cheryl was not officially on the team, but showed up in every issue anyway as Blaze Blossom, the government liaison who had a thing for "Red" Andrews.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 11, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Thanks for that. Having never properly read Archie before this the majority of the references flew over my head.

Really strong issue to come back on, hopefully won't be too many delays and they manage to continue on living in a post apocalyptic world without falling into The Walking Dead trap.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

For reference, Polly first showed up in Bob Bolling's Little Archie stories as a teenager, some time in the 60s, before later making the jump to "regular" Archie stories.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

TwoPair posted:

Welp, Sonic & Mega Man 2: Electric Boogaloo is confirmed.

Although really now that Smash Bros 4 is out, we no longer need comics for our Sonic/Mega Man fighting needs :v:.

Crisis on Infinite Crossovers.

SONIC BOOM AND MEGA MAN X UNITE IN COMIC BOOK CROSSOVER

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Archie to be written by Mark Waid, with first three issues drawn by Fiona Staples.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57781

quote:

UPDATE 12/14/2014 6:25 PM PT: Fiona Staples took to Twitter to clarify how her "Archie" duties will work with her "Saga" schedule: "For those asking, I'm just pencilling the first 3 issues -- 'Saga's' schedule won't change."

---

"Archie," the long-running flagship Archie Comics series, will relaunch in 2015, as revealed Sunday evening by The New York Times. Along with the new #1, the book will gain a notably high-profile creative team: Writer Mark Waid and artist Fiona Staples.

"We want to keep the lighthearted and family-friendly tone, but we have to do it in the present times, and that forces us to change," Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO Jon Goldwater is quoted in the NYT article. The article states the relaunch is part of the company's 75th anniversary plans -- Archie was first introduced in 1941's "Pep Comics" #22 -- which include a "new look and an edgier tone."

According to the piece, the goal of the new "Archie" series is to "return Archie to a modern audience." "Over the years, some of the sharp edges have been sanded off," Waid told the Times. "They are kids, and they should act as kids."

A comics veteran with acclaimed work at a variety of publishers, Waid has already been involved with Archie as of late as co-writer of superhero series "The Fox" with Dean Haspiel, which is slated to relaunch in 2015 as part of the re-branded Dark Circle imprint. Staples is the artist and co-creator of Image Comics series "Saga," written by Brian K. Vaughan and one of the most celebrated series of the current era. Also no stranger to Archie, she's illustrated variant covers for the publisher, including an eye-catching rendition of Josie and the Pussycats. Both creators are multiple-time Eisner winners.

The relaunch of "Archie" means the end of another one of the highest-numbered series in the North American comics industry, after Marvel and DC Comics have relaunched virtually all of their long-running series in recent years. "Archie" dates back to 1942, with the latest released issue clocking in at #662.

As noted in the article, the "Archie" relaunch is one of many attention-getting moves from the company in the past few years during Goldwater's time as CEO -- including the zombie horror series "Afterlife with Archie" (written by Archie Comics Chief Creative Officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and illustrated by Francesco Francavilla), the "Death of Archie" storyline that capped the "Life with Archie" saga, the previously announced upcoming story arc written by "Girls" creator Lena Dunham and the "Riverdale" TV show; described as "Archie meets 'Twin Peaks'" and currently in-development in Fox. An Marc Ecko apparel line was also mentioned in the piece, with no further details revealed.

"I found Archie to be dusty, irrelevant and watered-down," Goldwater said to the NYT. "It has taken me a while to really wrap my hands around where we are as a brand."

Check back with CBR on Monday morning for much more from Goldwater on the new "Archie" #1.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Afterlife with Archie is one of the best books going right now, but where is my Sabrina #2? :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Archie to be written by Mark Waid, with first three issues drawn by Fiona Staples.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57781

"but we have to do it in present times, and that forces us to change... except for Jughead's retarded crown-hat, that sticks no matter what."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Uhm excuse me but it's called a beanie and aside from it being a good luck charm, it's also been known to turn him into a superhero, and also to enable him to time travel. The beanie stays. <:mad:>

On another note, I got a couple of goons to start reading Afterlife and because I'm a huge Archie nerd I told them I'd give them some annotations on the references found in the previous issues, like I did above. Would anyone mind if I just posted them here?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Uhm excuse me but it's called a beanie and aside from it being a good luck charm, it's also been known to turn him into a superhero, and also to enable him to time travel. The beanie stays. <:mad:>

On another note, I got a couple of goons to start reading Afterlife and because I'm a huge Archie nerd I told them I'd give them some annotations on the references found in the previous issues, like I did above. Would anyone mind if I just posted them here?

Please do!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The crown was actually 73 years ahead of it's time.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Argue posted:

I'm one of the aforementioned goons who has never really touched an archie comic before, and just blazed through Afterlife.

Pretty amazing and not at all what I expected! I'll be keeping up with it as it goes on.

fuckin (archiemaster) (run) killed me :(

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dunbar posted:

Afterlife with Archie is one of the best books going right now, but where is my Sabrina #2? :(

Think it's pushed back to January now. Possibly because they tried to rush it to have issue 1 out for Halloween. At least that's what I hope, both it and Afterlife are great books being suffered with a lot of delays. The Waid/Staples Archie also looks great so I hope it's not saddled with the same delays.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I always kind of assumed that Jughead's hat was made out of a tin can cut into a crown shape.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Argue posted:

Minor spoilers below! Issue 7 focused a lot more on the characters than on the zombie problems this time around, which is quite welcome. It also tossed in a bunch of references, and I figured I'd list them down here since I'm probably the only person in the world who'd even notice several of them:

Thank you so much for this! What awesome references/easter eggs--the story works just fine without catching them, but having them pointed out adds an extra layer. Please do post more if you write them up!

Also, oh man, Waid is arguably the best comics writer for reinvigorating classic, archetypal characters with modern storytelling sensibilities without losing their core, and Staples -- well, even for just three issues, that's just cool. I'm... actually excited? At least to check it out, although I assume main-line Archie will still be a kids' comic.

edit: Way more info up in an interview now. Wow. These are bold moves, but seem smart -- they'll always have the digests for young kids to be introduced to Archie in the grocery store... http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57782

onefish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 15, 2014

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

bobthenameless posted:

fuckin (archiemaster) (run) killed me :(

I really, really hope there's eventually a scene where Archie is finally able to put Vegas to sleep. When I first read that I immediately snapped to my own childhood dog, and man :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's only upon reviewing the thread that I realize I've actually posted some of these observations before, but I guess I haven't done it in an organized manner yet. As promised, here are my annotations for Afterlife With Archie 01. These include both references to obscure Archie continuity (insofar as Archie can be considered to have continuity) as well as brief introductions to any new characters appearing in the issues, since I don't think everyone is as familiar with them as I am. If there are any horror references I'm familiar with, I'll mention them, but that's not really my strong suit.

Anyway, for the first issue, most of these are pretty well-known already, but I'll try to throw in a bonus obscure tidbit or two to keep things interesting.

Sabrina, Hilda, and Zelda Spellman - Sabrina the Teenage Witch might very well be the most recognizable Archie character thanks to her having had a long-running and much-beloved live action sitcom on ABC. She and her aunts were introduced way back in the 60s, and were a lot more lighthearted than what we have here. Sabrina also used to host a "Tales From The Crypt"-type comic, The Chilling Tales of Sabrina, an anthology of horror stories. The property was revived (somewhat) quite recently as The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, an ongoing period piece about occult goings-on involving Sabrina in the 60s.

Jughead Jones and Hot Dog - Jughead Jones is well-known in Riverdale for his voracious appetite, his dislike of romance, and his famous beanie. Hot Dog's been his faithful companion for more than 40 years. Jughead's beanie is also known as a whoopie cap, which according to Wikipedia, is made by cutting up... a fedora. Draw your own conclusions there. In the past, Jughead has been in possession of both an explicitly magical beanie (which turned him into a superhero) and an explicitly scientific beanie (which enabled him to time travel).

Sabrina's secret - I mentioned this before, and this is a bit outdated now, but when Jughead came running to Sabrina to ask for help, I assumed that this was referencing the fact that he's the only one of Archie's crew that she'd revealed her secret to. Later issues, however, make it pretty clear that in this universe, everyone is aware of her status as a witch. That's more in line with a few rare stories where everyone inexplicably knows she's a witch, such as Archie Meets KISS.

Sometimes, dead is better - That's a line from Stephen King's Pet Sematary.

Salem - Salem has the smart mouth that more modern versions of him are inclined to have. When he was first introduced, he was just a non-talking familiar, but ever since the live action show, he's been said to be a former warlock, cursed to be a cat.

1692 - Obvious, but this was the year of the Salem Witch Trials.

Necronomicon - Also obvious; the book of the dead from Lovecraft mythos and beloved relic in the Evil Dead movie series.

Swedlow Swamp - I had to Google this one, but Swedlow Swamp appears to be a haunted swamp of some sort from the old Archie cartoon. I don't know if it ever appeared in the comics, but I'm inclined to think it did, because the name and its alliteration sound like something Bob Bolling might have come up with. Speaking of which...

Carson's Creek - This location showed up quite a few times in Bob Bolling's Archie stories. He had quite a penchant for incorporating the supernatural into his stories without making them the focus.

Archie Andrews - America's favorite red-headed teenager. He's most well-known for his love triangle with Betty and Veronica. Apart from that, he's always wavered between being an everyman, being a complete nincompoop, and being an ideal role model. You can't really pin down which one he is at any given moment, but much like Superman, the one constant is that Archie has a good heart.

Betty Cooper - The archetypal girl next door. She's tends to be treated as "just one of the guys" by almost everyone, due to the many interests she has in common with the boys. By twisting her ponytail, she can transform into her superhero identity, Super Teen.

Veronica Lodge - The spoiled rich girl. She always gets what she wants, which is usually the reason why she's after Archie--because she can't have him. The very last of the core gang to get a super-identity, she decided to take on the alias Miss Vanity.

Pop culture references - This is pretty unusual for an Archie comic; you'll almost never hear a reference to a real pop culture thing. You wouldn't hear them talking about Psycho and The Birds; in a typical Archie comic they'd be talking about Psychiatro and The Birdies.

Reggie Mantle - Riverdale High's resident sleazebag. Normally, his douchebaggery is extremely tame, like placing whoopee cushions on chairs, or at worst, getting Archie in trouble with Veronica. As he says here, though, he's gone next-level terrible. His supervillain identity is Evilheart, but he's been known to team up with the heroes on occasion.

Mr and Mrs Jones - Jughead's parents. Pretty bland; not much to say here, but do take note of the absence of Jughead's baby sister, Jellybean. She was a relatively recent addition, created back when Archie was trying all sorts of new things in the 90s. She's very nearly as old as Maggie Simpson.

Pureheart the Powerful - Some of you may have been wondering what Archie's superhero identity is. By virtue of the sheer pureness of his heart, Archie is able to turn himself into Pureheart the Powerful--whose costume he wears to the Halloween dance in this issue.

Dilton Doiley - Riverdale's resident science genius. Usually has bad luck with women. Once shared a romantic rivalry with Jughead over a black paraplegic girl; progressive for the time, but quickly forgotten as she wasn't actually a very well-written character.

Chuck Clayton - The son of Coach Clayton and aspiring comic book artist. He was the second black character to be introduced by Archie comics, the first being Valerie of the Pussycats.

Waldo Weatherbee - Affectionately known as "The Bee" to his students, the principal of Riverdale High also functions as Archie's Mister Feeny. His biggest dream in life, from time to time, is to catch the Perilous Pike of Logger's Pond, a legendary fish who's shared a long and proud history with Archie.

Geraldine Grundy - She must teach like half the classes in Riverdale High! She's their teacher in basically everything except gym (Coach Kleats and Clayton) and Science (Professor Flutesnoot)! In the series Life With Archie, she dies of (presumably) cancer.

They're coming to get you - Reenactment of a scene from Night of the Living Dead.

Okay, PHEW. that's it for now. Most of the core gang were frontloaded in this issue, so my notes for the later issues won't be as long since I won't have as many characters to introduce.

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 16, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Sabrina, Hilda, and Zelda Spellman - Sabrina the Teenage Witch might very well be the most recognizable Archie character thanks to her having had a long-running and much-beloved live action sitcom on ABC.

Well obviously son, it's the only show that starred Salem the cat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

onefish posted:

Thank you so much for this! What awesome references/easter eggs--the story works just fine without catching them, but having them pointed out adds an extra layer. Please do post more if you write them up!

Also, oh man, Waid is arguably the best comics writer for reinvigorating classic, archetypal characters with modern storytelling sensibilities without losing their core, and Staples -- well, even for just three issues, that's just cool. I'm... actually excited? At least to check it out, although I assume main-line Archie will still be a kids' comic.

edit: Way more info up in an interview now. Wow. These are bold moves, but seem smart -- they'll always have the digests for young kids to be introduced to Archie in the grocery store... http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57782

The interesting thing is that Archie's been so 'safe' until he took over, that it's actually kinda believable this is a long-term shift, which isn't something you can buy if one of the big two try to reorient themselves. I am a little worried about what happens when Staples moves on. They need to differentiate this from what came before and have something at least striking about the art style that isn't the old house look.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Afterlife With Archie 02

Wow, did I ever underestimate the number of character introductions I'd need to write up. Not a lot of references in 2, but I'll write them up anyway since most of you probably don't know them past the general archetypes that they represent (which, don't get me wrong, are good enough to read this series with). I'll skip a few characters who weren't explicitly named in this issue.

Jason Blossom - Jason and Cheryl are basically everything people hate about the 1%. They're a pair of spoiled rich kids from the elite private school, Pembrooke Academy, who like causing trouble for Archie and the gang--or as they like to call them, "the townies". If there are any characters in pop culture that they'd be best compared to, it would be Kathryn and Sebastian from Cruel Intentions. Of course, their antics are way more wholesome in the main comics, but framing it this way certainly makes the incest angle make a lot more sense.

Cheryl Blossom - The other half of Les Enfants Terribles, she's appeared in the comics a lot more than Jason. Back in the 90s, Betty and Veronica engaged in an event that was billed as the "Love Showdown". The 4-part series purported that Archie would finally make his choice between the two, and an anonymous love letter led to an escalating competition between the two. In the end, it turned out that the letter was from Cheryl, who had moved back into town--in a massive cop-out, Archie chose Cheryl. In the time since, she's transferred to Riverdale, and later on, moved away again, on good terms with everyone.

Ethel Muggs - Introduced as a foil for the girl-hating Jughead, Big Ethel (these days, just "Ethel") was obsessed with getting him to date her. Her appearances frequently involved schemes to "capture" him and/or his heart, with varied results. They've made her into a much more developed character since then, insofar as any one-note character can be developed. She shares a much less aggressive relationship with Jughead now, and he has been known to take her out every now and then, although he's still not into the whole romance thing.

Hiram Lodge - Veronica's father is a wealthy entrepreneur who owns the megacorporation, Lodge Industries. Whenever it comes to Archie's relationship with Veronica, he's often cast as the villain. He makes no secret of his disdain for Archie--not because Archie is poor, but rather because around Veronica, Archie is an extremely klutzy buffoon who's cost Hiram thousands (millions?) of dollars in priceless antiques.

Pop Tate/The Chok'lit Shoppe - Pop is the proprietor of the Chok'lit Shoppe, an ice cream parlor with as much history to Riverdale and the gang as the coffee shop does in Friends, or McLarens does to the HIMYM cast. I've lost count of the number of times the shop was in danger of being closed/torn down, only for the gang to find some sort of documents that prove it to be a historical landmark or otherwise appeal to the better nature of the person making the threats (sometimes, it's Mr. Lodge!).

Nancy Woods - Chuck's love interest from all the way back when black men were only allowed to date black women, Nancy was portrayed as the girlfriend who Chuck would always neglect in favor of either sports or his art. More recent portrayals have given her a love for the craft as well, sometimes giving her writing/art projects independent of, and even surpassing Chuck's.

Ginger Lopez - This is not the same Ginger who would sometimes appear in older Archie comics; Ginger was introduced after my time, possibly in the late 90s or early 2000s, so I don't know a lot about her other than her being "the Hispanic girl with the streak of dye in her hair". As for the lesbian relationship, this is completely new. I'm fairly sure there was no hint of this in the comics, and I don't know if they ever even interacted much--if at all.

Big Moose - The strongest person in Riverdale, and occasionally, seemingly the world. He is, of course, Riverdale High's MVP in sports (typically football). Apart from this, Moose has some other claims to fame: For one, his insane jealousy when it comes to his steady girlfriend Midge--he often beats up other guys (typically, Reggie) for so much as talking to Midge or even looking her way. He's also known for his incredible stupidity, but Archie Comics has portrayed this side of him much more sympathetically ever since a storyline in the 80s or 90s where Moose's apparent ignorance was revealed to have stemmed from his having dyslexia.

Thrill Hill - This was a fairly common location in Bob Bolling's Archie/Little Archie stories as well.

Fox Forest - I got nothing, but any location with an alliterative and/or rhyming name can probably be safely assumed to have originated from Bolling's work.

Sneaking into Lodge Manor - Yep, classic Archie. Many an amusing storyline has been written where Archie would find a way past Mr. Lodge and the staff in order to see Veronica.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Not a lot for Afterlife With Archie 03, but #4 is also included in this post, and that one has a bit more interesting notes.

Hermione Lodge - Hiram Lodge's wife. She isn't very well-defined outside of that, unfortunately. However, one big difference is that she is not dead in the main comics.

Greendale - Sabrina's current hometown. In the old days, Sabrina lived in Riverdale with the rest of the gang, but in order to keep in line with the sitcom, she moved to Greendale, and these days merely visits Riverdale. For a time, Sabrina also lived in a place called Gravestone Heights, which was a town populated by supernatural creatures. However, Greendale is fairly mundane and not much different from Riverdale. Edit: ffffffffffff owned by the post below (sue me, I barely watched the sitcom :()

Smithers - The ever-faithful retainer of the Lodge family. His portrayal varies; sometimes he hates Archie as much as Mr. Lodge does, and other times he's quite sympathetic to the teens.

"I'm gonna be waffling for the next seventy years" - Cute. That's about how long Archie has been in publication.

Midge Klump - Moose's steady girlfriend. Frequently hit on by Reggie, which almost always results in Moose beating him up. Jughead is just about the only guy Moose trusts with Midge, and even that has its limits. Fun facts: in the Archie Married Life series, she breaks up with him because she worries that her anger issues will lead to abuse, and eventually ends up marrying... Jughead!

Mayor Martinez - Okay, you got me. This character was introduced after my time.

Afterlife With Archie 04

Fred and Mary Andrews - Archie's parents. They've never been anything but supportive of their son. They tend to be Archie-Betty shippers, but not always.

"Our son's a pureheart" - A less explicit reference to Archie's superhero identity.

Vegas - Vegas was actually introduced only very recently--like, 2012/2013 recently. Archie only adopted him, and did not own him from childhood--however, that does bring us to...

Spotty - Mary's dog, Spotty, was actually Archie's dog in the main comics. Another Bob Bolling creation, he made his debut in Little Archie, and fulfilled the role that Vegas does here. He also appeared in a few teenage Archie stories that Bolling wrote, so presumably, he died some time before Archie adopted Vegas.

Archie and Jughead's first meeting - Archie and Jughead's friendship is even older than the Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle. One of the few things that hasn't changed over the years was that the two of them have been buddies since they were little kids. Maybe this is reading too much into a single panel, but Jughead's slightly antagonistic behavior is consistent with him being depressed on their first meeting, having moved away from his friends in his old hometown.

Archie's Jalopy - Even though Archie hasn't driven this car in a long time, it's almost as iconic to Archie and the gang as Archie himself. Until it was eventually written off (destroyed, I believe), he'd been driving this car his whole life. Even within the safe, old-fashioned confines of Riverdale, this was seen as amusingly retro and embarrassing to the girls he dated.

Jughead's sweater - I should have noticed this from the start, but Jughead's been wearing his famous S-sweater the whole time. While an explanation for the letter is written into the comics every now and again (each time with a different meaning), my favorite story about this sweater (yep, believe it or not, there's more than one) is the one where Jughead thought he'd be moving away again, and told Archie he'd be entrusting him with the secret of the S to symbolize that they'd be friends forever. He then TOOK OFF HIS SWEATER right out on the street, so that he could do a dramatic topless goodbye before his parents found him and told him that they wouldn't be moving away after all.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:flashfact: Actually, in the sitcom, Sabrina lived in Westbridge, MA. I believe Greendale was from the cartoon series that came after it. (The Afterlife line's Sabrina book paid homage by having her move from one to the other in the first issue, actually)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I love how Archie as a company has been evolving over the near decade I have been reading their books, from when I first found out the Barnes & Noble by my house carried the Sonic comic(around the time Ian started writing and at this point I mostly knew about the comics due to the cover gallery that was included in Sonic Mega Collection), which just kept getting better and better(I still loathe Penders immensely for almost ruining things, but at least the comic is still good, although I hope one day Archie can solve the legal issues and bring back most of the characters lost in legal limbo currently), and then Archie started getting better as well, eventually leading to the point that Archie is probably the most consistently high quality comics company around at the moment, which is pretty amazing considering a decade ago in 2004 Archie was practically the laughingstock of the industry in several respects

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I just noticed this thread existed, and I just wanted to say that the Mega Man comics are amazingly awesome and have reignited my love for all things Blues/Break Man/Protoman that I thought I'd gotten over sometime back in junior high...

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 29, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given how much of a disaster the games were and how CN is treating the cartoon (which is a solid 'meh' on the grand scale of things). I'm wondering if Boom is going to get written off by the event.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris-Chan will have the final laugh if that happens!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Chris-Chan will have the final laugh if that happens!

What's he got to do with it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

He's filled with autistic fury over Sonic having blue arms, and he was recently arrested for macing a guy in a GameStop where he was in vandalising the Sonic Boom display.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

He's trying to get it boycotted because they made Sonic's arms blue. He got himself arrested after defacing a display in a GameStop then macing an employee.

EDIT: Jesus.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i thought chris-chan started going to therapy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Jus' so we're on the same page, this is the sonichu guy we're talking about, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I sure an glad Mega Man fans are pretty normal overall. Even when looking the internet as a whole, Sonic got the lion's share of the bugfuck crazies.

One thing I noticed during the Sonic crossover, all the letters to the editor about Mega Man were questions like '[some robot] is so awesome, when will they show up?' while a lot of the Sonic stuff was straight up shipping.

• Locked thread